two questions

brandygirlo

I was hoping those of you who are knowledgeable about cruising could answer two questions for me.

We are on the Coral Princess for the Panama Canal cruise on November 19.

In the information packet, they say you can not bring on your own wine except one bottle per person for special occasion. Do they check your luggage and carry on?

Also, if the ship is not full, what is the likelihood they will up grade our obstructed view cabin to a better one without us paying for it?

I was hoping those of you who are knowledgeable about cruising could answer two questions for me.

We are on the Coral Princess for the Panama Canal cruise on November 19.

In the information packet, they say you can not bring on your own wine except one bottle per person for special occasion. Do they check your luggage and carry on?

Also, if the ship is not full, what is the likelihood they will up grade our obstructed view cabin to a better one without us paying for it?

You can bring a bottle or 2. I would wrap it really well and put it in the checked bags (do this at the port to minimize breakage on the plane). You can bring a bottle or 2 of wine/champagne in your carry on.

Usually no problem.

If you don't get an upgrade by sailing they will not upgrade once onboard.

Is your booking marked "will accept an upgrade if one becomes available"?

We brought on 4 bottles of wine which were wrapped really well and spread between our 3 pieces of luggage. We were able to arrive at LAX via auto so we did not have to worry about weight. I also brought a 12 pack of diet Pepsi in my suitcase.

The purser told me that the ship always sails full so who knows in this economy what the fullness status will be. Remember the lines will sell and sell at many price points in order to fill the ship.

Brandygirlo - You're "allowed" to bring one bottle wine/champagne per adult; you can bring this in your carry-on, in a shopping bag, or whatever. They seem pretty lax on this and many bring several bottles wine/champagne each. You're NOT allowed to bring alcohol on board, and generally if they find it they'll confiscate it or maybe hold it 'til the end of the cruise. Then there's the subject of smuggling........ ken

We brought two the first time and 4 the next time. what they do is allow you one bottle per table per cruise without a corkage fee. If you bring a second to the dining room they charge you a $10 ?? fee. We had one in the room and nothing was said.

Felix

When we took the Coral through the Panama Canal earlier this year, our Roll Call had a "group" order of wine delivered to our hotel. I already had 3 bottles in my suitcases, added 2 more and carried on a box with 4 more (it was a box for 6 bottles). No one said a thing. We can start the old what does it say where argument (the "Contract" does not limit how much you can bring on) - but it's rare to hear of anyone having wine taken away - especially if it's in your checked bags.

Lynn

Just browsing the boards and someone said to look at Travel City.com for availability of cabins looked at ours just as a matter of interest and there are some balcony rooms still available no more ocean views though - fingers crossed!!! Not long now - looking forward to meeting you

Linda

Chances are slim although anything is possible. It's more likely that they'll have a "flash" promotion to fill those cabins.

You can get a upgrade on board but your chances seem to be slim and none. We have friends who had a balcony cabin and their luggage arrived and they were unpacking. Had a knock on the door and some one from pursers asked if they would like a free upgrade to a mini-suite. Their old cabin steward and new one moved everything to the new cabin. When we met for dinner they still couldn't believe what had happened. Don

Brandygirlo - You're "allowed" to bring one bottle wine/champagne per adult; you can bring this in your carry-on, in a shopping bag, or whatever. They seem pretty lax on this and many bring several bottles wine/champagne each. You're NOT allowed to bring alcohol on board, and generally if they find it they'll confiscate it or maybe hold it 'til the end of the cruise. Then there's the subject of smuggling........ ken

I walked right onboard from the port in St. Thomas my bag went through the xray and no one told me to go to the table to turn over my 3 bottles of rum. I got on the elevator and went to my room.

When we first boarded my friend has handcuffs as part of a costume for halloween. Long story short he was called down to remove the handcuffs but mind you he had to move 4 bottles of vodka out of the way first. They took the handcuffs and left the vodka and let him take his bag to his room.

Archived