What to do in Grand Cayman

brio

We will be visiting Grand Cayman off the Sea Princess next week and we would like some suggestions as to what to do.

We intend looking around George Town but what else is there to see. We have done a stingray tour on another island and don't particularly want to spend all day on the beach . . . . . any suggestions?

I think the stingrays are the best bit of Grand Cayman. We also did an island tour which took in The turtle farm and "Hell", then ended with time on the stingray sandbank. There isn`t much in Hell.:eek: 305308655_SeaPrincess2006030.jpg.c73df509abbb3d9a2a1cb266ece3d51b.jpg

We will be visiting Grand Cayman off the Sea Princess next week and we would like some suggestions as to what to do.

We intend looking around George Town but what else is there to see. We have done a stingray tour on another island and don't particularly want to spend all day on the beach . . . . . any suggestions?

How about Atlantis Submarine?

I usually rent a car....Avis is located right downtown a few blocks from the tender. This gives you complete freedom to tour the island on your own. It's very easy to get around and makes for a nice day. I particularly like driving out to Rum Point. There is a nice little resort area, a small beach and a beach hut with picnic tables where you can have lunch.

If you go on Avis website for Cayman, you'll see they have special rates for cruisers. It's easy. You walk to the downtown office, fill out the paperwork and a van will take you to the car which is located near the airport...a short drive away.

Sandytoes-- Information regarding the niagra falls trip would be most appreciated- Serene56@AOL.COM

swimming with stingrays elsewhere is nothing compared to doing in grand cayman--its just soooo different.

Hell- turtle farm, (we did the submarine tour once--expensive and so lame)

7 mile beach or shopping-which can be quite crowded dependingon how many ships are in port.

Sounds crazy, but I was also amazed by the Turtle Farm. It was very interesting, and very educational, especially if you engage some of the workers who are walking the grounds and talk to them. You can really learn alot about the turtles. Lots of different turtle species to see and one area where you can touch them and pick them up if you wish.

We were unsure if we would like the Turtle Farm when we booked the excursion but turned out that it and Hell were one of our favorites. I could do without the semi-sub the next time but it was sort of fun to go to Hell. Our traveling companions were unable to make the trip because a week before leaving, he ended up in the hospital having unexpected surgery. So, when we got to Hell, we sent them a postcard that said "Our cruise is hell without you." LOL!! We sure did miss them. However, we did have a great time and, like I said, the Turtle Farm exceeded our expectations. People we met on our Roll Call were on the excursion with us and had a fab time too. Afterward, they went to the beach and spent the rest of the day there. DH and I did some shopping and went back to the ship. The next time we visit Grand Cayman we will go to Stingray City. I actually enjoy tendering but my preference is not to. I like to sit on top of the tender and look around.

Sounds crazy, but I was also amazed by the Turtle Farm. It was very interesting, and very educational, especially if you engage some of the workers who are walking the grounds and talk to them. You can really learn alot about the turtles. Lots of different turtle species to see and one area where you can touch them and pick them up if you wish.

Just a heads up-- the turtles on this farm are used for consumption. There were quite a few people on our tour that were quite upset that this fact was not told to them before they put out money for this.

My favorite thing to do in Grand Cayman is not get off the ship. A real pain tendering, for in my opinion, nothing. I find that each time we have the Cayman port, more and more people elect to stay on.

I agree!! We did the stingray swim then went into town and walked around some. Very expensive place.

It's one of those places where you've been there, done that so just stay on the ship and enjoy.

WE did a tour with Captain Marvins

Very enjoyable

Highly recommend it

Walk from tender site up that street ask for directions about 2 blocks

Stingray city and Japanese garden snorkel excursion

We did the same tour with Captain Marvin and had a great time. You get 2 snorkel adventures for the price of one and we had our driver drop us off at 7 mile beach on the way back so we could get a little beach time in and enjoy the beautiful areas up and down the beach. We are planning to do this again on our trip this Dec.

Captain Marvin was great! Small group and we were well taken care of!

The pirate ship! What a blast! My DH and I did both- no kids with us- we had fun!!!!

Oh and we stopped at Senor Frogs after the Pirate ship..... What a blast that was. We had never been to Senor Frogs and we thought, heck, why not? We had a lot of fun on Grand Cayman. We go ashore whenever we can (We had stopped at Grand Cayman 3 times previously and had to turn around becasue the seas were too rough. So we go ashore whenever we can.)

Gabrielle

Just a heads up-- the turtles on this farm are used for consumption. There were quite a few people on our tour that were quite upset that this fact was not told to them before they put out money for this.

Like my wife..... she thought they were being raised to be released in the wild..... until we got to the sign about 2/3's the way through the tour. It did easy her mind when it mentioned about 15% are released into the ocean.

Take a tour of the Turtle Farm and spend the day there at their "waterpark" area. If you haven't been to the Turtle Farm it's an amazing place to visit and the folks who work there are just great!

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/index.html check it out!

I agree, this was the highlight of our trip. I can't begin to descripe how amazing it was swimming through hundreds of fish with three or four sea turtles by your side. There is also an area where you can swim up to a glass wall that separates you from the shark tank. I kept the fact that there was a glass wall a surprise and DH went (VERY QUICKLY) swimming the otherway when he saw a shark, it was priceless.

Archived