Dressing for Alaska in May

Beachgator

Taking our first cruise trip to Alaska in May 2009. Being from Florida, any suggestions on the type of clothing that works best in Alaska for the time we'll be there? We'd like to pack as practical as possible and have been researching the internet for light washable/reusable clothing, but haven't had much success. Any input would be appreciated. :confused:

Layers!!! T-shirts, long sleeves, light jackets, sweatshirts....jeans, shorts (a few pair should do) slacks...

You never know what the weather will be like that time of year! You will be able to wear things more than once, unless you spill alot!

I don't think you will need to buy special clothing for a week's trip!

As mentioned, LAYERS. And a rainproof, hooded jacket with a zip-in, zip-out lining. A good warm pair of socks. Waterproofed footwear. Nylon pants, they dry faster than jeans. If it is raining, you can wear them over your jeans if you want.

What I wore EVERY day in Alaska, port or not (early May). A long-sleeved t-shirt. A fleecy. My Goretex jacket with removable lining. Some days I added a silk base layer. Gloves to keep your hands warm. A hat or some sort of ear protection.

In Skagway, I was unlayering and relayering regularly. It was about 42 F when we docked and got on shore, about 55 F as we walked then about 60 F, so the layers were coming off, & being rearranged. By the time we went back on the ship (1 or 2 pm) I was again wearing ALL my layers.

In Juneau we were in shirt sleeves, and very comfortable. We went on a whale watch, so again layered up :) Ketchikan was pouring rain, with strong winds. Freezing cold -- the Australians on our tour looked like they would DIE from the cold, and they had pretty heavy winter gear on. But not layered.

Weather is unpredicatable in Alaska. You need to be prepared for pretty much anything. Try "The North Face", "Columbia", Land's End, and (not sure if they are available in the US) "Mountain Equipment Co-op".

If you're on a 7 day cruise, 2 fleecies will do, 1 base layer set, a couple of pairs of nylon pants, max 2 prs jeans, some long-sleeved t-shirts, a good pair of socks. Maybe 1 or 2 pairs of shorts. No more than 2, for sure.

Look on ebay for some of what you will need -- if you buy high-quality items you can re-sell them when you get back :) But most of what you'll need should be useable on your NEXT cruise to Alaska :D Once is never enough!

Don't forget the ships all have laundry service. Some of them even have laundry rooms, so check your particular ship to be sure. Alaska was my most challenging to pack for, weight wise. I wished I had more short sleeved T's and left home one pair of sneakers, everyone said to take an extra pair and it just wasn't needed. I also wished that I would have brought along a pair of flip flops to wear to the pool and solarium.

Since the weather can be unpredictable, don't forget to check it to make any last minute adjustments, go to www.weather.com and put in all your ports of call. It's not completely accurate, but it will give you the trend. The secretary at our school where I work went in May a few years back, took only cool weather clothing and it was in the mid 80's all week. Some years it can be very cold and very wet, you just won't know until the time comes.

Light layers are best, the first layer close to your skin with two more layers that can be peeled away as needed. A winter coat is not the best choice. A long raincoat will be your friend, one that will cover your bum if you have to sit on a wet bench, like on a tender boat or while whale watching. If the raincoat has a large hood, it's great, you won't need an umbrella then.

Bring a pair of gloves. Even those from the dollar store, they will help when seeing the glaciers.

If you are lucky enough to start in Seattle, My DD got a wonderful warm jacket in June at the Nordstrom Rack.

Also check out LLBean, REI and Lands End. Some Lands End is sold in Sears.

Good morning:) I agree with the other gals~layer, layer, layer:)

The first time I went to Alaska was in May 2006 and I followed

the advice given here and it worked great.:)

I live in Florida too by the way;)...I still have long sleeves

and sweaters and I was able to find a Columbia Jacket at

Kohl's on a big sale:D.....it was part of the cruise wardrobe

for that cruise and I just went to Alaska again in Sept and

brought it with me this time too! What a fabulous purchase!

One of those jackets that started out in the 85.00 range

and I got it for about 25.00!

For your outer layer, I would stress waterproof over water repellant or resistant. It will make a huge difference if you are in rain. Also, waterproof footwear is a wonderful thing. Wet and cold feet are no fun and will put quite the damper on seeing Alaska.

I too will be cruising this May and what to bring has been the only worry that I've had. Thanks for all the advice. Are no boots necessary? If I bring heavy walking shoes will that do for the Glacier hike? Do I not need a heavier coat at all, if I bring a waterproof jacket with lining?

This sounds so much more do-able than what I had imagined we'd have to bring. How about in the evenings for dinner? Would tights be needed and sleeved dresses? Thanking you all in advance for the words of wisdom. :)

What you will need...Water proof jacket with a hood that you can layer under... with t-shirts, long and short sleeved, I wore hooded sweatshirts under my jacket everyday. Gloves, jeans, UMBRELLA for sure;) this will keep your pants and head dry. WE did wear shorts some around the ship and if it was warm enough in some ports. But certainly none in AK.

No one cares what you are dressed in, all that matters is if you stay warm and dry. 2 pairs of walking shoes just in case one pair does get wet but mine were fine.

What you probably won't need, of course this also depends on your excursions...water proof shoes, unless you are doing a lot of hiking, if you want to you can spray that stuff on that water proofs your shoes, I didn't and I was fine. It rained everyday while we were in Alaska except one.

I also took a back pack to carry my camera's in everyday.

What you will need...Water proof jacket with a hood that you can layer under... with t-shirts, long and short sleeved, I wore hooded sweatshirts under my jacket everyday. Gloves, jeans, UMBRELLA for sure;) this will keep your pants and head dry. WE did wear shorts some around the ship and if it was warm enough in some ports. But certainly none in AK.

No one cares what you are dressed in, all that matters is if you stay warm and dry. 2 pairs of walking shoes just in case one pair does get wet but mine were fine.

What you probably won't need, of course this also depends on your excursions...water proof shoes, unless you are doing a lot of hiking, if you want to you can spray that stuff on that water proofs your shoes, I didn't and I was fine. It rained everyday while we were in Alaska except one.

I also took a back pack to carry my camera's in everyday.

We were so thankful we had umbrellas with us, many were walking around while docked at port looking for them to buy. Take one that folds up no bigger than maybe 6 inches. No one ever complained about anyone having them, maybe because MOST had them;)

Personally, I don't like juggling the umbrella (I also don't like getting poked by them), so a waterproof hooded jacket was perfect for me. Layering under it and spraying the jeans worked wonders.

I totally agree re umbrellas. They are a pain, and a hazard. If your jacket has a hood and is waterproofed, I don't think you need an umbrella. And let's not forget how WINDY it can get in ports, which really reduces the usefulness of an umbrella :D

Lots of people waterproofed their shoes and jeans, I think. I found it easier (and less toxic) to put on a pair of wind pants over my jeans when needed.

How about in the evenings for dinner? Would tights be needed and sleeved dresses?

The ship was a comfortable temp so I was fine in sleeveless evening wear; I honestly think you'd be too warm in tights if you are indoors on the ship. If you are out on deck in the evenings, you'll want to wear something warm-ish, most likely. Between the crisp air and the movement of the ship, it was chilly for us every evening in May/08. So after dinner we'd go down to our cabin, change into warmer gear, and walk laps around the promenade deck in preparation for the late-night buffet :D

I have not seen this question addressed anywhere in all the months I have been reading CC, so here goes. As a suggestion, if we are leaving Atlanta, in June, and it will surely be 90 degrees, and flying nonstop to vancouver, where it could be 50 or 60 and raining, what kind of clothes should we wear for the flight? We'll die of the heat if we dress for Vancouver, but we don't want to be weighted down carrying stuff we will surely need as soon as we are on the ground. Its an interesting bit of planning, so therefore, the question?

I have not seen this question addressed anywhere in all the months I have been reading CC, so here goes. As a suggestion, if we are leaving Atlanta, in June, and it will surely be 90 degrees, and flying nonstop to vancouver, where it could be 50 or 60 and raining, what kind of clothes should we wear for the flight? We'll die of the heat if we dress for Vancouver, but we don't want to be weighted down carrying stuff we will surely need as soon as we are on the ground. Its an interesting bit of planning, so therefore, the question?

Wear what ever pants you could get by with in 90 degrees when you leave with either a sleeveless or short-sleeved top. You can drape a sweater or some kind of jacket (I find these more versatile than the sweater) over your carry on or put in one. Priority when flying for me is comfortable but presentable, and that includes shoes.

Here's my list of recent purchases for my upcoming Alaska cruise...

-A new Columbia fleece to add to my other two (not Columbia) so I can rotate. If you are of a smallish build, try purchasing the kids version. The sleeves are shorter (a plus for me!), the colors are brighter, and the price was about $15 less. A youth large is about equivalent to an adult xs/s.

-A Marmot "Membrain" waterproof hooded shell. Membrain is a waterproof fabric that is much lighter and easier breathing than nylon. Gore-Tex is also a good option--- who wants to be sweaty? I bought mine at an online discount outdoor goods retailer (can't remember which one now... maybe Moosejaw or Sierra Trading Post) for a significant discount.

-L.L. Bean earmuffs

-Patagonia waffle weave "regulator" long undies. These can also double as running pants in the cold weather. They were pretty pricey at $80 (OK, ridiculously pricey) but they were the warmest and fuzziest of all long undies I've ever owned, tried on, or seen in stores.

Next up:

-Mountain HardWear winter wander pants- made of a very thick and water repellant (not water PROOF) fabric, stylishly cut, all around fabulous.

-Some type of very warm, water proof gloves with Thinsulate. I have velvet Thinsulate gloves for every day use (have had three pairs in seven or eight years- they are the greatest gloves ever!) but I'm not sure velvet is good for outdoorsy stuff.

I already have some Timberland Cadion (???) waterproofish boots with gore tex ready to go that I've had for some time. And lots and lots of SmartWool socks!

I think the level of "technical" clothing you'll need is probably related to the type of touring you plan to do. Will you be doing mostly bus and walking tours? Will you be on boats, in planes, and hiking? Biking? We're planning a pretty active vacation so I wanted to buy the right things, but if you are doing more low-key activities you should be okay with less pricey less fancy stuff.

HAVE FUN!

I have the same problem in reverse when flying from our cold, snowy country to Florida to board a January cruise. I always put my sandals and capris in my carry-on and change in the bathroom either on the plane or as soon as we land.

You could wear your customary clothing and change immediately into cool-weather clothes before picking up your bags.

Robin

Here's my list of recent purchases for my upcoming Alaska cruise...

-A new Columbia fleece to add to my other two (not Columbia) so I can rotate. If you are of a smallish build, try purchasing the kids version. The sleeves are shorter (a plus for me!), the colors are brighter, and the price was about $15 less. A youth large is about equivalent to an adult xs/s.

-A Marmot "Membrain" waterproof hooded shell. Membrain is a waterproof fabric that is much lighter and easier breathing than nylon. Gore-Tex is also a good option--- who wants to be sweaty? I bought mine at an online discount outdoor goods retailer (can't remember which one now... maybe Moosejaw or Sierra Trading Post) for a significant discount.

-L.L. Bean earmuffs

-Patagonia waffle weave "regulator" long undies. These can also double as running pants in the cold weather. They were pretty pricey at $80 (OK, ridiculously pricey) but they were the warmest and fuzziest of all long undies I've ever owned, tried on, or seen in stores.

Next up:

-Mountain HardWear winter wander pants- made of a very thick and water repellant (not water PROOF) fabric, stylishly cut, all around fabulous.

-Some type of very warm, water proof gloves with Thinsulate. I have velvet Thinsulate gloves for every day use (have had three pairs in seven or eight years- they are the greatest gloves ever!) but I'm not sure velvet is good for outdoorsy stuff.

I already have some Timberland Cadion (???) waterproofish boots with gore tex ready to go that I've had for some time. And lots and lots of SmartWool socks!

I think the level of "technical" clothing you'll need is probably related to the type of touring you plan to do. Will you be doing mostly bus and walking tours? Will you be on boats, in planes, and hiking? Biking? We're planning a pretty active vacation so I wanted to buy the right things, but if you are doing more low-key activities you should be okay with less pricey less fancy stuff.

HAVE FUN!

Has anyone purchased and used the lightweight/washable underwear they advertise online to cut down on weight and space? We are considering since my DH can fill up half a bag with his cotton undies and undershirts. Not sure they would be practical for Alaska :confused:

Archived