"Don't Miss" foods on NCL?

laura1960

Hey,

who can forget the wonderful mousse? I love both the chocolate mousse. However, who can forget chocoholic night?

I did these on the Star and now I am doing the Jewel next week and I am very psyched.

LeBistro - escargots, filet mignon, mushroom soup, chateaubriand for two.

Cagney's - lobster tail, crabcake appetizer, any cut of beef on the menu. Sauteed mushrooms.

Salsa/Tex-Mex - lobster tacos, lobster tacos and more lobster tacos

Rack of lamb - main dining room

I've never lost weight on an NCL cruise - ever. Oh, BTW, chicken wings from Blue Lagoon are to die for.

LeBistro - escargots, filet mignon, mushroom soup, chateaubriand for two.

Cagney's - lobster tail, crabcake appetizer, any cut of beef on the menu. Sauteed mushrooms.

Salsa/Tex-Mex - lobster tacos, lobster tacos and more lobster tacos

Rack of lamb - main dining room

I've never lost weight on an NCL cruise - ever. Oh, BTW, chicken wings from Blue Lagoon are to die for.

I have had the fajitas in the Endless Summer Cafe on the Star.

What does anyone recommend in the Italian restaraunt?

I'm a simple eater. :D

Always love a caesar salad.

Breakfast in the main dining room!!

Used to love the fish 'n chips at the Blue Lagoon, but they weren't very good on our last Dawn cruise...however I did discover that I love the chicken and biscuit plate!

Chicken fajitas at Salsa (on the Dawn).

Chocolate cookies!

Never had a problem with fish from the main dining room (tilapia, salmon....don't do shellfish, so never had the lobster).

First time on the Dawn, they had a wonderful chicken parm and a light chicken soup in the Italian restaurant...didn't have it the last time, though.

Le Bistro, Escargot, mushroom soup in Bread bowl,

mussels in garlic/wine broth all desserts.

Impressions, Fried Calamari, Antipasto trolley, Veal marsala Tiramasu

Cagneys, shrimp coctail, STEAK<STEAK>STEAK

Blue lagoon , tomato/basil soup, wings...

strawberry cheesecake.

From the BAR.. a nice fresh pina colada!

The pizza in Impressions had a nice crisp crust. I got it by mistake; I was trying to order a Calzone. Though I repeated it 4-5 times, I ended up with a pizza.

The apple crisp in Cagneys was good, as was the filet mignon.

I was able to order the Creme Brulee in Aqua. It wasn't on the menu, but they got it for me (from Le Bistro, I think) at no charge, of course. Ask for Japet or YoYo as a server in Aqua. Outstanding service!! We found this restaurant a bit quieter too.

Another favorite of mine was the Cinnamon Rolls at breakfast. I was disappointed in the Cinn French Toast, so requested they make French Toast out of the Cinnamon Rolls. Delicious!

Unfortunately, for the most part we were disappointed in the food.

Nancy

The cookies are the best when just out of the oven. I remember on the Norway the chef's brought out racks of them - they melted in your mouth. However I haven't seen them do that on any of the other NCL ships we've been on since.

Then you must remember the hot doughnuts they put out for the crew and very early risers with really good coffee. I was in the lido by 5:15 every morning

Currently, I go for the escargo, Rack of lamb, and duck.

Al

All i can say, since i have never sailed on NCL, is thank God i chose a 16 day repo to start with. After reading your favs, i am going to have to make a schedule not to miss rack of lamb, fillets and any good beef, all of it. How does one make choices:D

Wow! Well, one thing's for certain, we won't go hungry!! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'm sure you realize that this thread is making all of us drool at the thought of things like chateaubriand, cream of mushroom soup, lobster, chocolate mousse, and......! It looks like we'll have plenty of on board credit, and we'll probably use most of it on the specialty restaurants and drinks.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the food on the SKY, and NCL in general. However, every single cruise I've been on, I've heard hugely negative reviews from someone about something, but when we've been on those ships, everything has been fine. One ship - the Elation - had tough meat and rubbery lobster, but hey, it didn't ruin my cruise. As long as I'm not cooking it and cleaning up after it, and I didn't get sick from it, it's great!

Well, let's see what I can go defrost for dinner tonight. :-(

I love the steak terriyaki and tempura at the Asian restaurant ($10pp) on NCL cruiseships. We also love the beef tenderloin (filet mignon) at LeBistro ($15pp). The atmosphere of LeBistro is so relaxing for a quiet intimate dinner. Finally, NCL makes the best tiramasu. Find out where it is on the menu and go there. I think the Italian restaurant offers it. LeBistro used to have it as well.

What we enjoy on our NCL cruises is that we can dine at a table for 2 anytime we want. There is a formal dining room and a smaller more relaxed dining room where you can eat anytime with no reservations. If we want to make reservations for a specialty restaurant, we can and the cost ranges from $10pp to $25pp. If you like traditional dining, then go to the main dining room on the first night and they will schedule you for the same time every night. If you like dining with others, you can. We enjoy having choices because sometimes we feel like conversations and sometimes we are tired and just want to be alone.

Hope you enjoy something different. We enjoy cruising on various cruiselines just to mix things up. We get bored with the same shows and same ships over and over. We like new things. Hope you do to.

Just got back from the Dawn. Here are some observations:

Cagney's was disappointing. The steaks do NOT rival those from top steak houses. Ours was just above Denny's quality. The filet and T-bone were overcooked and a bit tougher than expected. Whenever you need steak sauce, it's not that good. And don't let them give you that awful HP sauce in lieu of A1. On a positive, the lobster was tasty.

Bamboo was the only other specialty restaurant we tried. Since the sushi bar is in the same dining area, parties of 2+ should order from both places. Why pay $15 each for the same menu items? Besides, Asian food is meant to be eaten family-style. We ordered virtually all of the appetizers, and were pleasantly surprised especially those ribs. The only bad dish was the ramen-like Lo Mein. We ordered several sushi rolls, and it was OK. Their Godzilla roll (with shrimp, mango, caramelized cashews, and coconut) is interestingly different. The spicy scallop roll was my favorite. Didn't particularly like the tuna. I guess sushi five days into a cruise isn't the best time to try it.

The other nights we had dinner in the BEAUTIFUL Venetian room (big, comfy chairs and photo worthy decor). The wait if any was never very long. I'm still convinced some people think that it's the extra cost specialty restaurants or the buffet. Get a clue folks, the free dinner in the Venetian or Acqu restaurants are good to excellent. Can't complain about getting lobster tails at no additional charge. Even the sirloin steak was comparable to mine from Cagney's.

I loudly second the food at the 24 hour Blue Lagoon. The chicken wings are addictive! The tomato soup was also very good. I even liked the runny artichoke/spinach dip (closest thing to nachos, which I was craving) and the dry chicken sandwich. Opt for the potato salad over the coleslaw. The won ton noodle soup was average and salty. My biggest disappointment was the overhyped fish and chips. The fish is well portioned and meaty, but that batter was too thick and VERY greasy tasting. Chicken wings all the way.

The buffets, IMO, were very average. We walked through the lunch and dinner stations. Both times, we couldn't find enough items to fill one plate. Breakfast was somewhat better. The separate pans for crispy and soft bacon was a nice finding. The fresh fruit selection was very good. Omelette and waffle stations were very slow.

As for drinks, we spent a lot of time at Dazzles watching karaoke. If you like frozen drinks, get the Miami Vice (pina colada with strawberries). Availability of Amstel light was a plus. Dimea, our bar server, was exceptional.

Hope this helps.

Archived