"Don't Miss" foods on NCL?

laura1960

I realize food tastes are very subjective, but those of you who have cruised NCL before, what are some of the dishes you look forward to every cruise?

I've heard wonderful things about the chilled soups (which I have always enjoyed on Carnival). What else strikes your fancy? Any "to-die-for" dishes?

Also, I'm assuming all the menus are the same, fleet-wide?

Thanks!

I realize food tastes are very subjective, but those of you who have cruised NCL before, what are some of the dishes you look forward to every cruise?

I've heard wonderful things about the chilled soups (which I have always enjoyed on Carnival). What else strikes your fancy? Any "to-die-for" dishes?

Also, I'm assuming all the menus are the same, fleet-wide?

Thanks!

NCL PEARL

cagneys-the filet migon and bannas foster. I had great chilled pumpkin soup and mousaka in the Summer Palace. LOVED the steak fahitas in Mombos. In the Garden cafe in the very back on starboard side is a cappacino machine-LOVED that!

Hubby loved the lobster raveoli in the Italian. I found the Italian restaurnat okay- I had a vegetarian pasta dish-but I had great raveoli in the Summer Palace that I felt was every bit as good. It was the alfredo one, that you can order anytime there at dinner-no matter the day.

:)Just returned from Nov 18th 12-day Barcelona RT on the Jade. Cagney's and Le Bistro were my favorites. The Escargot at Le Bistro is to die for -- the sauce is perfect for dunking bread. The Oysters Rockefeller at Cagney's very good as well and the steaks are comparable to any fine dining steak house in the US.

You can not miss the hot wings in Blue Lagoon. I have to have them almost every night. Also, the PB&J from room service is very good. Also the chilled fruit soups are excellent. I am sure I can think of other things and if I can, I will come back and post them.

Il Popo in Salsa or Tango

Eggs Benedict - can't wait to try crabcakes benedict in Cagney's for suite folks next Feb!

Chateaubriand in Le Bistro - I know upcharge on a surcharge but it's great and I am on vacation!

I notice you are going on the Sky. I am not familiar with that ship but I suspect it may have less to choose from due to its smaller size? Does it have tex-mex or the blue lagoon? Any Sky cruisers out there care to chime in?

Other than that, I would put in a vote for any of the Creme Brulee desserts. Cagney's had a coffee flavored version that may be the finest dessert I have ever eaten.

I know none of this from personal knowledge, but being the foodie that I am... I've been collecting tips for my DAWN cruise

Venitian: main dining room, no cover, loud but nice back windows, seats 472, Deck 6

Captain's dinner: lobster & beef wellington served

more light and open for breakfast.

Aqua: smaller main dining room, no cover, quiet, quick service, seats 344, Deck 6

Breakfast for suiteholders, eggs benedict excellent

Cagney's: Steak House, $20pp, intimate, quiet, good service, Deck 13, seats 132

dinner: filet, prime rib, veal chop excellent, mixed reviews NY strip, rib eye, Tbone, bisque, bananas foster

add $10: Maine lobster, surf N turf, king crab

carpaccio, crab bisque, cesar, wedge, lamb chops

lunch on Sea days: prosciuto, fish n' chips, NY strip, somen noodle w scallops

Breakfast: steak & eggs, Crab Cake Benedict, Eggs Benedict

LeBistro: French, cover $15pp, Deck 6, seats 90

good reviews: goat cheese tart, lobster & scallop martini, short ribs, filet, escargot, pate, creme brulee, chocolate fondu w fruit (must request), apple tartin

mixed review: chateaubriandbraised Main Lobster, onion soup, crm mushroom soup, beef tenderloin, lamb, crepe suzette

Salsa: Tex Mex Tapas, open layout inside overlooks Atrium, Deck 8 near us, no cover, seats 112, seems to be a fav of many, music either live or from below

Jumbo prawns special, many seem to like sangria, lobster tacos

Impressions of Itally: Italian, not sure if cover or not, maybe $10pp, quiet, Deck 6, 198, Seems to be the least fav of the specialty

Mixed reviews, recommendations for: Lobster ravioli, capriccio, calamari, pizza, risotto, osso bucco

Bamboo - A Taste of Asian: Japanese, Thai, Chinese, $12.50pp, Deck 7, seats 112

Bamboo/Sushi/Teppanyaki

Lunch on sea days

$10 or 15 sushi cover??

Breakfast: steak & eggs @ Teppanyaki - unlim bloody mary & mimosa

everyone says appetizers are great! Spare ribs, crab wonton, edamame, spring roll, pot stickers, corn & crab soup Also: Shrimp & Veg tempura

Teppanyaki is open nightly and has three seatings; 5:30pm, 7:30pm and 9:30pm

Garden Cafe:

check for sushi, check for chocolate croissants for breakfast, Deck 12

Blue Lagoon: open 24 hours, Food Court/Grill, just off Atrium Deck 7

quiet place for morning coffee

wings, fish n chips, spinach art dip, won ton noodle & tomato soups,

prosciuto & mozzarella sandwich

i second il popo and the pretzel rolls (my child lived off them on the last cruise)

i like lots of the apps, the escargot, salmon tartare, and the greek lamb sausages. but my favorite dish is the rach of lamb in the main dining room (maybe the second to last night). i LOOOOVE lamb chops and these are superb!

The mushroom soup in a sourdough bowl in Le Bistro - best mushroom soup I've ever had.

I'll second that. I have the mushroom soup in Le Bistro every time I'm on an NCL ship.

I'd like to add...

The spare ribs in the Asian restaurant. They are the best Chinese ribs I have ever had, hands down, anywhere.

Chocolate Fondue in Le Bistro.

Filet Mignon with Bernaise sauce, Creme Brule' and Bananas Foster in Cagney's.

Lobster Tacos in the Tex Mex restaurant.

coffeebean

I opened your post all prepared to talk about my own favorites:rolleyes:...I ended up readying all the responses and kept saying to myself "that one too...oh yes...that was so good." ;)So...in addition to the above terrific suggestions I have only one to add...there was a 3 mushroom risotto I had on I think the Dawn...it was absolutely wonderful.:D When I see it offered as an entree, I order it as a appetizer.

There are so many wonderful dishes available...I'm perplexed at the complaints I hear some times...after some 40 days on NCL I've had two dinners I didn't like - one on the Pearl and one on the Jade. But food is subjective and even the best restaurant in the world can have an off night. :)

The Filet at Cagneys with the Scalloped potatoes - They were great. The asparagus is really good too. We were always to full to eat much dessert. On the POH - now Jade... we tried all the special restaurants... I really can't say that anything was bad. We really enjoyed everything we tried. Nice this is you can try new stuff, if you don't like it they will bring you something else. You just can't loose.

I'm keeping a close eye of this thread and taking notes. We are headed out soon (but not soon enough) for our second cruise. I was so busy just finding out about cruising the first time that I think I missed out of lots of things. We intend to miss less this time and certainly we won't miss all the great food suggestions.........Thanks!

countdown.pl?name=kcwingwalker&date=1-25-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Norwegian Spirit

Surf more surf pasta dish without the pasta.

Beef wellington slice main dinning(with a lobster tail or two if they are doing them)

Bf,ast steak in cagnies

Rib eye, cagnies

Veg curries on the buffet

Sushi lunch (or take the tasting/saki U)

Ribs in asian (allthough too big as a starter good to share)

Spicy fish in the asian.

Tuna starter in the mex.

wings in blue lagoon

there are others these came of the top of my head.

Archived