Why book a B2B?

Dagny

One of the things I like best is spending time in a place on the front and/or back ends of a cruise so I can get some land-based time on an otherwise cruise-centred vacation. Although I love my time on any given cruise, I am always glad to disembark and have the opportunity to really explore places, at a slower and more immersive pace. Alternatively, cruising to new destinations is always a compelling motivation for booking vacations.

I don't understand the appeal of B2B cruises. If you have the time to indulge in another cruise, to the same places with the same time constraints (usually), as the first one, why would you bother? There are always land-based options to agree with any budget, so economics isn't an issue. You still get only 4 or 8 or 12 hours in a port, so you aren't going to add that much to your previous experience of a place, and your overall shipboard situation is going to be more or less a replica of the one you just finished.

So why book a B2B when you can spend that time on land or book a different cruise to new destinations?

• Administrators
One of the things I like best is spending time in a place on the front and/or back ends of a cruise so I can get some land-based time on an otherwise cruise-centred vacation. Although I love my time on any given cruise, I am always glad to disembark and have the opportunity to really explore places, at a slower and more immersive pace. Alternatively, cruising to new destinations is always a compelling motivation for booking vacations.

I don't understand the appeal of B2B cruises. If you have the time to indulge in another cruise, to the same places with the same time constraints (usually), as the first one, why would you bother? There are always land-based options to agree with any budget, so economics isn't an issue. You still get only 4 or 8 or 12 hours in a port, so you aren't going to add that much to your previous experience of a place, and your overall shipboard situation is going to be more or less a replica of the one you just finished.

So why book a B2B when you can spend that time on land or book a different cruise to new destinations?

Some people always pick a cruise based on the ports. Others always pick a cruise based on the ship. Others are in between, and think it depends on the cruise and ports whether they are primarily about the ship, or primarily about the ports.

People who cruise because they love being on a particular ship, especially an old favorite, often cruise b2b specifically BECAUSE their "overall shipboard situation is going to be more or less a replica of the one you just finished." That's what they love and what makes their vacation great.... TO THEM.

I think it may depend on the destination whether sailing b2b enhances one's familiarity with the location. We took a 14 day round trip cruise in Alaska last summer with similar but not identical port stops in each direction, and thought it was a wonderful exposure to SE Alaska. We did several once in a lifetime type excursions on that trip, and if we never get back to Alaska on a cruise, we'd be okay with that because we got to do so much.

These types of questions basically always boil down to the same answer -- people make their choices (booking inside versus balcony, booking balcony versus inside, booking a back to back, booking early, booking late, booking Z cruiseline instead of Y cruiseline, and on and on) because they have chosen what suits THEM best, and it may be totally inexplicable to anyone else. That's what makes the world an interesting place. :)

Quote: "I think it may depend on the destination whether sailing b2b enhances one's familiarity with the location. We took a 14 day round trip cruise in Alaska last summer with similar but not identical port stops in each direction, and thought it was a wonderful exposure to SE Alaska. We did several once in a lifetime type excursions on that trip, and if we never get back to Alaska on a cruise, we'd be okay with that because we got to do so much."

Sure, but that wasn't a B2B so it doesn't apply :)

Quote: "I think it may depend on the destination whether sailing b2b enhances one's familiarity with the location. We took a 14 day round trip cruise in Alaska last summer with similar but not identical port stops in each direction, and thought it was a wonderful exposure to SE Alaska. We did several once in a lifetime type excursions on that trip, and if we never get back to Alaska on a cruise, we'd be okay with that because we got to do so much."

Yes, those Alaska cruises are B2B. I did one a couple of years ago. One cruise up; another back. B2B doesn't have to return to the same port in the middle, altho it can.

I had traveled extensively in the Alaska interior on business and had no interest in a land tour. The B2B allowed me to see some new ports and have a longer cruise. I also could book much cheaper RT air.

B2B cruises are not always two of the same cruise. In fact, I’d bet that most B2Bs are not. For example, we did 14 nights in the Caribbean by booking the Jewel of the Seas on a B2B. The first leg was a 6-night Western itinerary and the second was an 8-night Eastern itinerary.

People do all kinds of B2Bs – British Isles with a Northern Europe/Baltics, Alaska with a R/T Hawaii, Sydney to Honolulu to Vancouver, to name a few that sound intriguing. We’ll be meeting up with a woman who is doing a transatlantic cruise followed by a Miami-LA Panama Canal transit.

So I think your notion of what constitutes a B2B is a little too narrow, which is perhaps why the appeal escapes you. Although I do enjoy land-based trips, it’s hard to beat not having to unpack for 14 days.

You've made a false assumption that most people doing B2Bs are repeating the identical itinerary. Many ships alternate between 2 or more different itineraries. Our 20-day B2B next summer will be 10-days western Mediterranean and then 10-days eastern Mediterranean. Here in Baltimore, Grandeur OTS has typically alternated between 9-day Canada/NE, then 5-day Bermuda, then 9-day Eastern Caribbean so you could do a B2B2B and, except for the Baltimore home port, never go to the same place! And many Caribbean-based ships alternate between western and eastern itineraries.

One of the best reasons for doing a B2B is cruising in Europe. The worst part of any European cruise is the air travel. We often take a trans Atlantic Cruise and then add 2 or more consecutive cruises on the other end. Instead of a 8 hour plane flight each way, we just have a single 8 hour flight and 28- 40 days of cruising to different ports.

We also do back to backs from Florida, staying for 14 days on the same ship as it does two completely different one week itineraries.

For the past two years, we have only taken back to backs, 3 or even 4 times a year.

If you ever try B2B's make sure you stay in the same cabin. Changing cabins is more trouble than it is worth.

I'd definitely be willing to bet that most b2b aren't the same itinerary. If they were, then I'd agree with the OP..why? We're doing a b2b next year...the 3 day coastal van - la and then the 7 day mexican riviera. Saves us a fllight from Vancouver. Last year we almost booked a b2b on the Grand Princess. The cruise after our Greek Island cruise was to Egypt, we just couldn't get the time off work. B2B makes sense, the air these days is half the cost, so if you can have twice the vacation without spending twice the amount of money, it's a deal.

Hello,

While a B2B is probably not for you, my DW and and I really enjoyed our B2b to Alaska two years ago. We went on a truly wonderful excursion of Kenai Fjords National Park while others on our ship had to go home. And it was really nice to go back on our ship for another 7 days. Yes, some of the ports were repeats but I'll never get tired of seeing Alaska.

Fred

I did a b2b on Elation, repeating the same five day cruise twice...because I wanted to cruise from a port that I could drive to, and I wanted to cruise longer than five days. Some people will fly from the west coast and do a three and a four day b2b from Miami or FLL or Port Canaveral, visiting some of the same ports, for the same reason: longer cruise and only one r/t airfare. EM

Many of our back to backs and long cruises have involved different destinations. In addition with more time on the cruise ship you take things at a slower pace than if you were doing one single voyage. It's a great experience and we highly recommend it if you have the time and the money and the right two cruises to combine. The key is to book early so you can get the same room for both cruises to avoid having to move from one room to the other.

Keith

Our last B2B was a 13 nite New England Cruise on the Constellation, followed by a 10 night Caribbean cruise via Bermuda. The only repeat port was Bayonne. Our next cruise in the Spring will be a 16 nite Transatlantic cruise on the Noordam, followed by a 10 nite Mediterranean cruise. The only repeat port will be Civitivecchia. Lower air fare; going thru the lifeboat drill once, instead of twice. packing and unpacking once. More familiarity with the ship.

What's not to like?

• Administrators

:confused: Vancouver > Ketchikan > Juneau > Skagway > Glacier Bay > College Fjord > Seward > College Fjord > Glacier Bay > Haines > Juneau > Ketchikan > Vancouver. Like I said, similar, not identical -- the southbound leg substituted Haines for Skagway. We visited Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay and College Fjord twice each, and got to spend turnaround day in Seward taking a 9 hour tour of Kenai Fjords National Park.

There were many people who booked only the northbound leg or the southbound leg of our sailing, and about 700 who booked both ways. As the others have pointed out to you, most back to back sailings aren't identical; most cruise ships don't sail the exact same itinerary every week.

Yes, those Alaska cruises are B2B. I did one a couple of years ago. One cruise up; another back. B2B doesn't have to return to the same port in the middle, altho it can.

I had traveled extensively in the Alaska interior on business and had no interest in a land tour. The B2B allowed me to see some new ports and have a longer cruise. I also could book much cheaper RT air.

By B2B, as my original post spelled out, I meant a repeat of itineraries. I fully understand a second cruise that visits different ports :)

We travell B2b many times on the same ship and exact same ports. we sometimes don't get off the ship because we like cruising and we enjoy the ship, especially when most pax leave and we have a mostly empty ship. We take advantage of the spa and gym. We relax and read or nap. We like cruising and we have the time and money too. So why not stay on? I would not mind if the ship just made a big circle, when we sailed to Hawaii I enjoyed teh sea days better. So It's not the destination but the journey.:cool:

You've made a false assumption that most people doing B2Bs are repeating the identical itinerary. Many ships alternate between 2 or more different itineraries. Our 20-day B2B next summer will be 10-days western Mediterranean and then 10-days eastern Mediterranean. Here in Baltimore, Grandeur OTS has typically alternated between 9-day Canada/NE, then 5-day Bermuda, then 9-day Eastern Caribbean so you could do a B2B2B and, except for the Baltimore home port, never go to the same place! And many Caribbean-based ships alternate between western and eastern itineraries.

Actually, you made the false assumption, as did most of the other respondents. I fully understand cruises with different itineraries, but that wasn't what I was curious about. I think I was pretty clear in specifying B2B's with the SAME itineraries :)

We travell B2b many times on the same ship and exact same ports. we sometimes don't get off the ship because we like cruising and we enjoy the ship, especially when most pax leave and we have a mostly empty ship. We take advantage of the spa and gym. We relax and read or nap. We like cruising and we have the time and money too. So why not stay on? I would not mind if the ship just made a big circle, when we sailed to Hawaii I enjoyed teh sea days better. So It's not the destination but the journey.:cool:

Ah, ok here's an answer - cheers! Still, even you end by saying you wouldn't mind it if the ship made a big circle, suggesting you would prefer different ports, whether you get off the ship or not.

I did a b2b on Elation, repeating the same five day cruise twice...because I wanted to cruise from a port that I could drive to, and I wanted to cruise longer than five days. Some people will fly from the west coast and do a three and a four day b2b from Miami or FLL or Port Canaveral, visiting some of the same ports, for the same reason: longer cruise and only one r/t airfare. EM

If you are dealing with a return airfare anyway, then there is no need to return to the port you first left from - you can get an open-jawed ticket for around the same price and fly back from another port, (I know, I flew into Barcelona and out of Athens for example). I am cruising next week on a 7-day leaving and returning to the same port so the argument about wanting a longer cruise doesn't really make sense, there are cruise lengths with different ports to suit almost any time frame, especially shorter ones of less than 2 weeks. I know I am being a bit argumentative, shooting down a reason like yours, but I am hoping someone will have an excuse that might make sense to me. So far, I see no compelling reasons to repeat an itinerary. The one about liking a particular ship is a bit understandable but still not enough to make me want to repeat ALL the same ports, (sure one or two are usually inevitable and even welcome on something like a Med cruise).

I just booked a B2B2B on the Destiny. The price was the main reason. We got a 14 day cruise for $1350PP plus some OBC. Each leg of the cruise has different ports, plus we get to go back to Miami three times so we'll be able to enjoy the Bayside Market place at Biscayne Bay. This is our first B2B and I'm looking forward to it. Looking like it's going to be a very busy Sept and Oct.

I just booked a B2B2B on the Destiny. The price was the main reason. We got a 14 day cruise for $1350PP plus some OBC. Each leg of the cruise has different ports, plus we get to go back to Miami three times so we'll be able to enjoy the Bayside Market place at Biscayne Bay. This is our first B2B and I'm looking forward to it. Looking like it's going to be a very busy Sept and Oct.

That's not a bad deal, and yeah having different ports makes it cool. Bayside Place is a lot of fun, although the time of year can be very dicey as it is the height of hurricane season...*crosses fingers*

I cruise for the ship. I don't care where it goes - as long as I am on it. I look at the ports as part of the entertainment I cannot fly anymore. BUT even when I could, I still cruised lots of times. It is like being a child again - but better. (Now I don't have to do chores.) Someone feeds me, entertains me, cleans up after me and all I have to do it play. On top of that, I just love to be at sea. When I was young and able, I enjoyed sailing. Now I just enjoy my cruises.

• Administrators
Ah, ok here's an answer - cheers! Still, even you end by saying you wouldn't mind it if the ship made a big circle, suggesting you would prefer different ports, whether you get off the ship or not.

Okay, now I'm trying to figure out what's going on in this thread. I gave you this same answer in post number 2 -- many people take b2b's just because they love the ship, and they want their overall shipboard situation to be the same. In addition, I related our experiences on our back to back, and you argued with me that because one port was different mine wasn't a back to back. :rolleyes:

The post you are quoting above basically said the poster didn't care if there WERE any ports, which you have morphed into them suggesting that they would prefer "different ports." They certainly didn't say that -- they just like sailing on the ship.

Then you say this -- "I know I am being a bit argumentative, shooting down a reason like yours [not having to pay for air twice], but I am hoping someone will have an excuse that might make sense to me. So far, I see no compelling reasons to repeat an itinerary. The one about liking a particular ship is a bit understandable but still not enough to make me want to repeat ALL the same ports, (sure one or two are usually inevitable and even welcome on something like a Med cruise)." (emphasis added)

I have to wonder why you think anyone here "should" offer you an "excuse" (excuse? as in.... we did something wrong and need to excuse ourselves?) YOU would find compelling? Why are you "hoping" this? Is sailing a b2b something you want to try? It doesn't seem so, based on your replies here.

So I'd say don't try it -- the world is plenty large enough for differences. Those who like sailing b2b (I'm researching another one for next summer right now in fact, from a port we can drive to, like EM's post above mentions -- we loved 14 days in the same cabin on a ship we enjoyed) do so for lots of reasons, but not everyone will think those reasons are valid ones for them. I don't like skiing, but don't spend time on skiing boards trying to poke holes in the reasons other people do like skiing. So what's the point of this thread? :confused:

I cruise for the ship. I don't care where it goes - as long as I am on it. I look at the ports as part of the entertainment I cannot fly anymore. BUT even when I could, I still cruised lots of times. It is like being a child again - but better. (Now I don't have to do chores.) Someone feeds me, entertains me, cleans up after me and all I have to do it play. On top of that, I just love to be at sea. When I was young and able, I enjoyed sailing. Now I just enjoy my cruises.

Fair enough - have you considered living on a cruise ship? I met and spent time with Lorraine Arzt, who has lived on Princess ships for quite a few years now and she is a very cool lady. She usually doesn't get off at the ports anymore but you will see her playing roulette and dining with the captain. It is cheaper than rent and you get food and housepeeing included. I couldn't do it myself, and I am all about experiencing the ports of call, but it sounds like it might be something you'd be into. Lorraine has a blast :)

Okay, now I'm trying to figure out what's going on in this thread. I gave you this same answer in post number 2 -- many people take b2b's just because they love the ship, and they want their overall shipboard situation to be the same. In addition, I related our experiences on our back to back, and you argued with me that because one port was different mine wasn't a back to back. :rolleyes:

The post you are quoting above basically said the poster didn't care if there WERE any ports, which you have morphed into them suggesting that they would prefer "different ports." They certainly didn't say that -- they just like sailing on the ship.

Then you say this -- "I know I am being a bit argumentative, shooting down a reason like yours [not having to pay for air twice], but I am hoping someone will have an excuse that might make sense to me. So far, I see no compelling reasons to repeat an itinerary. The one about liking a particular ship is a bit understandable but still not enough to make me want to repeat ALL the same ports, (sure one or two are usually inevitable and even welcome on something like a Med cruise)." (emphasis added)

I have to wonder why you think anyone here "should" offer you an "excuse" (excuse? as in.... we did something wrong and need to excuse ourselves?) YOU would find compelling? Why are you "hoping" this? Is sailing a b2b something you want to try? It doesn't seem so, based on your replies here.

So I'd say don't try it -- the world is plenty large enough for differences. Those who like sailing b2b (I'm researching another one for next summer right now in fact, from a port we can drive to, like EM's post above mentions -- we loved 14 days in the same cabin on a ship we enjoyed) do so for lots of reasons, but not everyone will think those reasons are valid ones for them. I don't like skiing, but don't spend time on skiing boards trying to poke holes in the reasons other people do like skiing. So what's the point of this thread? :confused:

hey, slow down tex...*smile*

I didnt say yours didnt count as a B2B, i said it didn't count as an answer for this particular question which is about B2B's with the same ports of call. As I said, again, I understand B2B's with mostly different ports...please don't put words in my mouth :)

As far as the poster with the morphing goes, he or she did say it would be nice if it was circular, therefore, he or she is stating a wish which by its very definition suggests a desire for something different :)

Now then, as far as your outrage that i should be looking for reasons, (sure ok, I'll retract the use of the word excuse :), and your reluctance to think i deserve any, well, let me just point out that this is MY thread and it is very clear that i am looking for reasons, answers, excuses, jokes, tall tales, comments. You dont have to answer if you dont want to, but if you do, then dont blast me for shooting your arguments down. It is my privilege as the OP :)

I am looking for good reasons to compel me to try one is the point of this thread, (I dont think it is too obtuse) - so far I haven't found any, and I am explaining why without, I think, resorting to emotion ...*smile*

• Administrators
hey, slow down tex...*smile*

I didnt say yours didnt count as a B2B, i said it didn't count as an answer for this particular question which is about B2B's with the same ports of call. As I said, again, I understand B2B's with mostly different ports...please don't put words in my mouth :)

As far as the poster with the morphing goes, he or she did say it would be nice if it was circular, therefore, he or she is stating a wish which by its very definition suggests a desire for something different :)

Now then, as far as your outrage that i should be looking for reasons, (sure ok, I'll retract the use of the word excuse :), and your reluctance to think i deserve any, well, let me just point out that this is MY thread and it is very clear that i am looking for reasons, answers, excuses, jokes, tall tales, comments. You dont have to answer if you dont want to, but if you do, then dont blast me for shooting your arguments down. It is my privilege as the OP :)

I am looking for good reasons to compel me to try one is the point of this thread, (I dont think it is too obtuse) - so far I haven't found any, and I am explaining why without, I think, resorting to emotion ...*smile*

Okay, Don Quixote, good luck in your quest. :) We loved our b2b and will definitely do that again, hopefully more than once prior to retirement, when we'll be looking at the even longer "world cruise" segments offered by some lines. My SO thinks "the more time on a ship, the better," and thankfully I agree with him.

Archived