November weather?

Good Afternoon,

We are doing a Transaltlantic cruise in mid-November 2009 leaving out of Southhampton and are planning to arrive a week early to spend in London and another city around the area. So far my thoughts are either Dublin, Edinburgh, or Amsterdam, my question is out of those what would be the best weather wise to travel to in mid-November? Or any other suggestions of what might be a better destination for pre-London would be greatly appreciated also.

Also for those of you that have been there what would be the most interesting things to do, as I plan to only spend two full days and one additional evening there.

Thanks again for any input you have!

Mark

In general mid November in this region (The Netherlands, Great Britain, Belgium etc.) will be chilly, probably rainy and expect a lot of wind.

But weather is unstable and can change by the day (even on the same day).

Be prepared to dress rather warm and in layers.

Bring that umbrella.

For details in the past check www.wunderground.com

And don't forget your cold and flu remedies! Zinc, Echinacea, Vitamin C, Nyquil, Cough Drops. I nearly ALWAYS get sick when I travel to Europe at that time of year. The stuff available in British chemists is really quite expensive and they won't have some of the brands you're used to relying on.

Actually, start in on the vitamins and herbals a week before you're due to leave. That way you'll get a head start on the protections they offer.

Just like in the USA it's always hard to know what weather will be like any time of the year. A good source for historical temperature is http://www.wunderground.com mentioned above.

I would indeed spend time in London. There is so much to see and do. There are many museums to see all around the city. I would go to a site like Frommers.Com and read about the major attractions. If you like the threatre, try to take in a play one evening.

The other places you mentioned are very nice as well.

Just expect the weather to possibly be on the chilly/rainy side but one never knows.

Keith

I wouldn't say there is much difference in the weather, although Amsterdam may be a couple of degrees warmer. In all three you could be lucky and get clear blue skies and sun (although still cold) or you could get wind and rain.

I've been to all 3 and it really depends how you enjoy spending your time. My choice would be Amsterdam, then Edinburgh - I do like Dublin, but I found it more about the friendly people and lovely atmosphere. Amsterdam has a lot to do, and for me was more unique. Have you been to Paris, that would be another good option. :)

I used to live in The Hague which is 30 minutes from Amsterdam and found winter cooler than London. Paris is usually a bit warmer and like London there is lots to see and do indoors. Dublin is fab too but will probably be colder than the others. I would say London and Paris but it's just personal preference.

Hungary gets a lot more snow that the places that were asked about - it's mainly because Hungary is inland and the other places are nearer the coast, keeping them slightly milder.

Snow is a possibility but would be unusual, Edinburgh would be the most likely for snow, but usually it's later in the year.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned SNOW. I was in Hungary in '01 and they had snow November 3rd.

I would think Amsterdam and Edinburgh being even farther North one could certainly encounter snow in November.

Hardly ever do we have snow in Amsterdam due to the influence of the Northsea, which is not far away. It keeps the climate moderate.

If we get snow it is in general just a little and it often is gone within hours.

How stong are the winds in Amsterdam during November and do you think I should just not consider any of these places and just spend time in London before the cruise and visit these places at a later date?

Thanks

Mark

I would say none to moderate, with a very small chance of a storm.

Rain will be the same in London as in Amsterdam.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived