Princess Makes Changes to Cruise Credits; RCI To Follow?

GMoney

Maybe there's no free laundry or as many internet minutes but there are definitely discounts for repeat cruising - I have $350 worth of discounts on my next cruise. Plus I have concierge lounge access for free drinks, not just a mini bar.
But I can get that with any good discount agent, I don't even have to have cruised Princess before.
Those would be in addition to the ones you get from a good discount agent.

What do you say we stop all the testiness and stick to the facts. HMMMM?

As a solo cruiser, I would be very excited if RCI would count my cruises as 2 credits. I am paying for 2 spots after all. The other perks are nice, but I look at discounts the most.

As for the difference of the programs, I haven't had the occasion to check out Princess as of yet. Don't think I can make that judgment.

Happy cruising!

Jen

You need to do your homework :rolleyes: I want free drinks in my room, not have to go to some lounge to get it. Princess has a visa. Yes, after 14 cruises you get free laundry and dry cleaning and you get that free if you're in a suite. Glad you feel $20 is enough free internet, it's not for us, we both used over 200 minutes on our Greek Island cruise, lucky for us, it was free after just 5 cruises. Sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but IMO RCI's perks are crap compared to Princess.

I thought Princess' bar set up in the room was a one time thing. Do they restock you everyday? :confused: Although we go to a lounge we get several drinks every evening there. We also get Diamond balcony discounts, OBC for booking while onboard, OBC for owning the stock and also more OBC for flipping to a travel agent.

Princess has a very nice loyalty program. But I wouldn't go calling RCI crap. :( I think they are very comparable.

I thought Princess' bar set up in the room was a one time thing. Do they restock you everyday? :confused: Although we go to a lounge we get several drinks every evening there. We also get Diamond balcony discounts, OBC for booking while onboard, OBC for owning the stock and also more OBC for flipping to a travel agent.

Princess has a very nice loyalty program. But I wouldn't go calling RCI crap. :( I think they are very comparable.

I said they were crap compared to Princess. Not necessarily crap on their own. They're certainly better than Celebrity's.

No they don't restock everyday. You get 8 mini bottles of booze, some beer, juice and pop you get 2 of each:

Gin

Vodka

Canadian Club

Cognac

Cokes

Plain Water

Sparkling water

Sprite

Tonic Water

Beers

You can switch them for whatever you want, if you want 8 vodka, you can trade.

Princess offers an awesome Future Cruise Credit program with anywhere from $25 pp to $150 pp depending on length and inside or outside cabin booked. Princess also awards credit for holding stock, which unlike RCL is still combinable with other discounts.

Even comparing RCI's loyalty program to Princess I wouldn't call it crap. That's a bit harsh. :(

You're probably right. I've tried to have this conversation a couple of times in a non-confrontational way for people to explain to me how they think RCI's is better when they make that statement. So when I see Princess doing something great like 2 credits for a solo cruiser and someone posts again that "oh well, RCI's is still better", I probably leaned towards the harsh.

You're probably right. I've tried to have this conversation a couple of times in a non-confrontational way for people to explain to me how they think RCI's is better when they make that statement. So when I see Princess doing something great like 2 credits for a solo cruiser and someone posts again that "oh well, RCI's is still better", I probably leaned towards the harsh.

I agree there are some overly zealous RCI cheerleaders out there. ;) I understand where you're coming from.

If RCI continues cutting back on the OBC and discounts we will look long and hard at Princess and HAL in addition to RCI for future cruises.:)

I agree there are some overly zealous RCI cheerleaders out there. ;) I understand where you're coming from.

If RCI continues cutting back on the OBC and discounts we will look long and hard at Princess and HAL in addition to RCI for future cruises.:)

The other thing to remember is that in addition to RCI cutting back on discounts and various combinations of putting them together, RCI does not allow TAs to discount RCI's prices. TAs can still discount other brands. So RCI cruises can end up costing quite a bit more that those on the Carnival owned cruise lines.

Question. After 15 cruises Princess gives free laundry service, from what I am reading here.

Who, pray tell, sits there watching the washing machine spin round and round? You, or a ship's employee?

And, on the booze question. Princess gives you a limited setup in your own cabin. Or RCI gives you unlimited booze (and great snacks, including chocolate covered strawberries) in a convivial atmosphere with other D's and D+s. And from comments on the Princess board, an Elite couple gets just one setup as it is per cabin, not by passenger.

On our 15 night PC cruise on the Radiance, we averaged in total 4 drinks a day for 15 nights, all free, along with at least a hundred cc strawberries and many other delic. snacks, while talking to a rotating cast of 30 really nice people. Much better than sitting in the cabin belting down a drink a day. But then we are a sociable couple and DW LOVES to talk.

I'll pay the $20 bag fee to have someone else do the wash. And we do stuff the bag.

Question. After 15 cruises Princess gives free laundry service, from what I am reading here.

Who, pray tell, sits there watching the washing machine spin round and round? You, or a ship's employee?

Too funny, the ship's employee does. You just give them your stuff and it miraculously comes back clean and pressed :)

Too funny, the ship's employee does. You just give them your stuff and it miraculously comes back clean and pressed :)

Ah, so not self service then. Good to know.

If Princess ever puts a reliable ship in NY we might give them a try again. In an off season cruise.

Yes...but unfortunately all that OBC will not be available after December 31st of this year. I think Royal Caribbean's will be severely lacking in amenities in 2009. Not that others are better, but it appears that the Diamond balcony discount will be it going forward. :(

The other thing to remember is that in addition to RCI cutting back on discounts and various combinations of putting them together, RCI does not allow TAs to discount RCI's prices. TAs can still discount other brands. So RCI cruises can end up costing quite a bit more that those on the Carnival owned cruise lines.

There's a big difference between what can be done and what actually happens.:rolleyes: In the current financial environment, the lines themselves are doing most of the discounting and a little research will enable you to find many RCI cruises that are as inexpensive and sometimes less expensive than cruises on Carnival-owned lines. An RCI cruise isn't necessarily more expensive than one on those other lines, and some would say that even when there is an instance where the RCI cruise might cost a bit more, the difference in the cruise experience might be worth the difference.:)

Of all to the things that Patrick brings out..........probably the most important...........to not only him.........but my wife as well.......is the single supplement.

Because that affects both of them in their pocket book more than anything else discussed here.

It's also interesting to note that Princess is willing to give more credits for a single supplement..........including double credits.

So.........I ask, what does one get at the Diamond level with RCCL......that one does not get with Princess. It's the concierge lounge.

So, Patrick...........you have brought out many things that Princess is doing.............do you think that for what Royal Caribbean offers......all in all..........that they are that far behind??

Rick

Do all RCI ships have a concierge lounge?

All but five ships.

These have a CL:

(Genesis class)

Freedom class: Freedom, Liberty, Independence

Voyager class: Voyager, Adventure, Explorer, Navigator, Mariner

Radiance class: Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade, Jewel

Vision class: Enchantment, Splendour, Legend

Do not have a CL:

Vision class: Rhapsody, Grandeur, Vision

Sovereign class: Monarch, Majesty

Princess offers an awesome Future Cruise Credit program with anywhere from $25 pp to $150 pp depending on length and inside or outside cabin booked. Princess also awards credit for holding stock, which unlike RCL is still combinable with other discounts.

Then it has changed. In 2006, I was unable to obtain the stockholder's OBC because my TA had given me OBC, and I was told "one OBC per cabin".

I still prefer RCI ships. Especially the Radiance class.

TA can give OBC's to their clients. :)

Recently I spoke to a D+ C&A rep. She told me they were taking names of cruisers who were unhappy with RCI's newest changes for Jan 1, 2009.:)

I asked her..."Will we all be banned from cruising?":confused:

She said..."No...maybe they can get the policy turned around if enough people complain.":)

I am not happy with RCI's cut backs for 2009.:mad:

We did a b2b from the Golden Princess to the Vision OTS out of San Pedro..... my DH did our laundry beautifully...if I may add... for the 2nd week.

We loved the Princess experience and will probably book more Princess cruises.

P.S. We spent the extra day in Malibu and Beverly Hills. I met George Hamilton, who I've had a crush on since "Where the Boys Are" in 1961.

Cruising is good.

Archived