? for plus size cruisers

Flaming0

I was a plus on my last cruise but am now at least a size 26w with a big tummy and arms and can't for the life of me figure out what to wear. Being 6' tall is also making it a challenge. Usually shopping isn't a problem, but I got laid off a coulpe of months ago so throwing down $100+ for a dress is out of the question right now.:( I have a pair of nice capris that still fit and bought a long pale yellow knit dress for casual dress, but I'm stuggling with what to wear on the formal nights - thank goodness I still have swimsuits that fit. Once Christmas passes I may have to get out the sewing machine. I'm in my mid 40's and am not ready for mother-of-the-bride styles yet. Still want something hip. I welcome any suggestions and would like to hear how other plus size gals dress on cruises.

Have you tried Lane Bryant? I shop there and they have some great deals at times plus they have cute clothes! Just get a pair of black pants and 1-2 nice blouses and voila! you have 2 nights of outfits...do you have a store called Gordman's? They sell plus sized too and always have a clearance...also, shop after Christmas, they will have a LOT of more nicer/formal type things on clearance now that the holidays are over...good luck:)

I was a plus on my last cruise but am now at least a size 26w with a big tummy and arms and can't for the life of me figure out what to wear. Being 6' tall is also making it a challenge. Usually shopping isn't a problem, but I got laid off a coulpe of months ago so throwing down $100+ for a dress is out of the question right now.:( I have a pair of nice capris that still fit and bought a long pale yellow knit dress for casual dress, but I'm stuggling with what to wear on the formal nights - thank goodness I still have swimsuits that fit. Once Christmas passes I may have to get out the sewing machine. I'm in my mid 40's and am not ready for mother-of-the-bride styles yet. Still want something hip. I welcome any suggestions and would like to hear how other plus size gals dress on cruises.

have some 14/16/18...lg, XL 1X 2X...I dont let a letter or number daunt me. I start with the larger sz garments, and work down. Dillards Woman has up to 3X in Spenser Alexis tops..try same on line. I have 11 of them. Good with a basic black bottom..a nice easy fit, ample "wing" area, and a nice taper at the waist w/o being tight. Not MOB, I am passt 60..and love all of mine. you will need a cami for under them, and I have a lot of silky type, w/o spangles..just plain. if you sew, a tube type easy fit skirt may be the answer. Some of mine cost a little ae $25, marked from reg $119..now ther's a bargin.. After holidays look at the sale racks of all major dept stores for evening attire. I also ravage upscale church resale, Sal Army, GWilly, and find amazing stuff..launder, check for the usual wear n tear tho. let us know how you progress wid da dress! lucky

Have you tried Lane Bryant? I shop there and they have some great deals at times plus they have cute clothes! Just get a pair of black pants and 1-2 nice blouses and voila! you have 2 nights of outfits...do you have a store called Gordman's? They sell plus sized too and always have a clearance...also, shop after Christmas, they will have a LOT of more nicer/formal type things on clearance now that the holidays are over...good luck:)

wish they were down south!

Don't forget...the post holiday sales will be soon! :) You may be able to find something on sale for less than you can sew it for!

Also, think outside the box a bit...I had a metallic button-down style shirt that shrunk when I washed it. I now wear it open over a tank top!

Do you have a Catherines? If not, they have an online site you can buy from. They have wonderful sales. Just get a pair of black pants and a couple sparkly tops and you will be right in style for formal night. :D

Just FYI, the formal nights are just a lot of hoopla for nothing. Save your money and just wear casual wear, you can eat in the buffet or order a cozy room service fancy dinner from the dining room, If you feel like your missing the great lobster/dinner.

Just coming off a 6 nighter with 2 formal nights, really, its not a big deal. Loads of people were in casual wear, and having a ball, anyway.

I hung out and people watched, as people lined up for formal pictures, that was more fun than actually doing it myself.

Whatever you do, relax and enjoy it. (of course this mostly apply's to me, who constantly go's against the herd. If everyone's at the pool, you will find me in the library, or game room)

If you have a Marshalls or a Ross, they have lots of larger sizes and the prices---even if you only wear something once, you get your money's worth!

A long skirt in "evening" material, with a sparkly top will do just fine for formal evening!

I am 5'11" and a size 18/20, and I know how difficult it can be at our height to find dresses, skirts, and slacks that are the right length. I have had very good luck at Lane Bryant and The Avenue finding longer pants. After Christmas buy a pair of black slacks and hit the clearance sales both online and in the stores for a dressy top. Do not buy the mesh "formal" pants at Lane Bryant if you plan to wear heels. My mesh pants hit me at the ankle and would look odd if I wore heels.

Don't forget...the post holiday sales will be soon! :) You may be able to find something on sale for less than you can sew it for!

Also, think outside the box a bit...I had a metallic button-down style shirt that shrunk when I washed it. I now wear it open over a tank top!

Unfortunately, from what I've seen . . . all those post holiday sales are on winter clothes . . . . not very appropriate for the Caribbean. Next year, I'll be sailing in September when all the summer clothes go on sale. Looks like I'm gonna have to wear what I have in my closet for my cruise on the 10th of next month . . . :(

I just got a cruise dress last night on ebay. I WAS a plus size and ebay was my friend. I just put in whatever size I was into dresses and picked out a couple. Im finally not a plus size, but ebay is still a whole lot cheaper and you can take your measurements. Most of the dresses on ebay will have bust size, waist, length etc measurements.

I saw a fabulous designer Calvin Klein dress go for $26.50 that I should have grabbed.

Thank you for all of your responses. Last year I got a screaming deal on a formal outfit on e-bay. Doesn't fit me now, but I am looking forward to when it does. I was on www.hsn.com checking out dresses and was amazed at how many they had for under $50. Being tall, I didn't really see anything that was going to work for me, but it's something some of you may want to check out. I think I am going to look into separates once the snow melts and I can get out of the house. :rolleyes:

Also know that formal night doesn't mean every woman will be wearing a dress or skirt; I have seen many women (and myself included) in black dress pants with sparkly tops on formal night. They looked phenominal, and not out of place at all. The above suggestions are great - do try some of the stores mentioned, but please don't worry too much. I know you will find something.

Have a great cruise. :)

flaming0 - I too was a plus size up until this year when I joined weight watchers and went from a size 18W down to a size 8/10, which wasn't an easy task being in my mid 50's! You might want to try shopping on line at WomanWithin and Roaman's, they always have fantastic deals! That is how I always used to shop, never shopping in the stores until now! But like others stated, you can simply wear a pair of nice slacks with a dressier type blouse/sweater and be just fine. Don't fret over it, because you will definitely see all kinds there! Some really go "over-board" while others are pretty casual. Plus, if you don't like or care for lobster (which I don't) you can always dine at the buffet, not a big deal. Just go and enjoy your cruise!

I just got a cruise dress last night on ebay. I WAS a plus size and ebay was my friend. I just put in whatever size I was into dresses and picked out a couple. Im finally not a plus size, but ebay is still a whole lot cheaper and you can take your measurements. Most of the dresses on ebay will have bust size, waist, length etc measurements.

I saw a fabulous designer Calvin Klein dress go for $26.50 that I should have grabbed.

There are lots of formal, plus sizes on e-bay. I just want to warn you that a lot of the formal, plus sizes will be modeled by men. This was a little depressing for me.

However, I agree with firefly, they did have some great deals. I found that a $50 taylor bill on a $25 gently used outfit looks better than a $200 off the rack outfit.

Do you have Ross there where you live?? I find great deals there on plus dresses....Got a great red cocktail dress there that still had $170 tags on it from Dillard's...for $29...Love that! Chadwicks is good too online...And although most after Christmas stuff is winter wear...There will also be a lot of glitzy stuff marketed for New Years that would work on a cruise. Good luck!

I too am a Tall 6' plus size gal. Many of these suggestions are terrific for tops. The biggest problem I have found when shopping was that I could find my plus sizetops... in but NOTHING was long enough in skirts and pants. All the "tall" skirts and pants were for gals up to 5' 11". I have an inseam of 36 inches not 29 or even 34! I finally broke down and found a really easy pattern for a long skirt that I made in a black flowing material and wear a differant formal top I found at some of the places listed in this thread. Us tall gals get tired of all our skirts being "tea" length:p ;). And just because we are tall does not mean they make all our shoes in flats! Sew a pretty skirt, slip on your heels, perfume and pretty top and party on.

Happy cruiseing!

I too am a Tall 6' plus size gal. Many of these suggestions are terrific for tops. The biggest problem I have found when shopping was that I could find my plus sizetops... in but NOTHING was long enough in skirts and pants. All the "tall" skirts and pants were for gals up to 5' 11". I have an inseam of 36 inches not 29 or even 34! I finally broke down and found a really easy pattern for a long skirt that I made in a black flowing material and wear a differant formal top I found at some of the places listed in this thread. Us tall gals get tired of all our skirts being "tea" length:p ;). And just because we are tall does not mean they make all our shoes in flats! Sew a pretty skirt, slip on your heels, perfume and pretty top and party on.

Happy cruiseing!

Tallcruiser, I completely agree with you. Even at 5'11" buying a dress that hits where it was designed to hit is tough.

One trick I have done with slacks is to purchase pants that have a cuff (bigger the better). I then take them to my tailor and he makes them longer without a cuff. Mr. Long (yes, my tailor's name is Long :D) has made some great alterations for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived