SF Cruise Terminal

sfpd3000

Here we go again:

Cruise market seen as lucrative tourism niche

A new cruise-ship terminal planned at the end of Lombard Street, and new cruise routes scheduled to begin next fall between San Francisco and northern Mexico, might reverse the decline in cruise-ship passengers arriving in The City, officials said.

The cruise-ship market is an “incredibly important” part of San Francisco’s tourism industry, according to Jennifer Matz, an economic adviser to Mayor Gavin Newsom.

About 174,000 cruise-ship passengers arrived in San Francisco in 2008, down 6 percent compared to 2007, according to Port of San Francisco figures. That figure is expected to fall another 14 percent next year.

The rising price of fuel has led cruise customers to shorten trips, which hurts San Francisco through a 122-year-old federal law that imposes steep fines on foreign-flagged cruise ships if they sell voyages that only include stops in American ports, according to Gerry Roybal, maritime marketing manager at the Port of San Francisco.

Thus, cities closer to international borders, including San Diego and Seattle, have seen their share of the cruise-market increase, according to Roybal.

New routes to destinations in northern Mexico planned to begin next fall could help San Francisco win back some of that market share, he said.

Additionally, to accommodate the increasing size of cruise ships, the Port plans to build a new cruise terminal at Pier 27, the angular landing at the foot of Lombard Street in the Marina district, according to Roybal. Construction could begin within two years, he said. — John Upton

from SF Examiner 12/26/08

So the City is going to try again for the upteenth time to build a new cruise terminal. Let's see when this plan is going to fall through. This City is a joke......

New routes to destinations in northern Mexico planned to begin next fall could help San Francisco win back some of that market share, he said.

I want to cruise ROUND TRIP from San Francisco, but I want longer cruises (10 days minimum) that go either further south to Zihuatenejo and Huatulco or into the Sea of Cortez. I won't cruise on a CCL-line, and would prefer Celebrity.

I would love to have more opportunities to sail r/t out of SF. I did one out of there in 4/06 on the Infinity and it was fantastic! Was able to have our kids drop us off and pick us up as we only live an hour and a half east of there. Didn't have to worry about bag size or weight. Didn't have to limit how much we bought to bring back, it was great! This April we're taking one out of San Pedro. A much longer drive for us but driving in the day before then staying at the DoubleTree which includes leaving the car and a free shuttle to the Port is costing just a little more than just for the parking at the Port. Still much better than flying with all of the limitations now. I'll be waiting with fingers crossed that this becomes a reality!

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Princess has announced that they will do 4 round trip SF cruises in 2012. One on April 3rd to the Mexican Rivera for 10 days, and 3, on March 19th, April 13th and April 28th, to Hawaii for 15 days. I want to do one of these just because of the convenience .

San Francisco is in a difficult place... we are too far from the warm southern ports, from Hawaii, or from Alaska for 7 day cruises, particularly when you consider the need for a foreign port of call.

Most of the possible piers projected for the new cruise port are in poor condition, and require more work than cruise call justify. The City (aka San Francisco) is trying to use the America's cup to rebuild some piers, but that is by no means certain.

Celebrity ran the Mercury out of SF for several years, several years ago (we sailed on her)... It was successful enough to continue for several years, but not enough to continue beyond that. Princess has tried some longer Alaska Cruises... (we tried a repositioning cruise)

Traditionally Matson sailed to Hawaii... but Boeing and the 707 ended that about 1960... The Matsonia aka Lurline, ended up as the Britannis sailing for Chandris (before Celebrity and RCI) before sinking off South Africa while under tow.

San Francisco is a really great, really pretty cruise friendly cruise port in a poor location. Too far from other ports, foreign ports, from reliable sun. We are a cheap air flight or reasonable drive from LA and San Diego... a slightly longer flight from Seattle and Vancouver...

Gavin tried... but it wasn't his core priority. He has other things on his plate...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys check out P&O CRUISES UK a very good line then come on down via the pacific islands to Sydney i cruised into San Fran SOUTHAMPTON UK your cruise terminal was not a problem great service from volenteers to guide you through the luggage hall i was in my hotel within the hour.

San Francisco is in a difficult place... we are too far from the warm southern ports, from Hawaii, or from Alaska for 7 day cruises, particularly when you consider the need for a foreign port of call.

Most of the possible piers projected for the new cruise port are in poor condition, and require more work than cruise call justify. The City (aka San Francisco) is trying to use the America's cup to rebuild some piers, but that is by no means certain.

Celebrity ran the Mercury out of SF for several years, several years ago (we sailed on her)... It was successful enough to continue for several years, but not enough to continue beyond that. Princess has tried some longer Alaska Cruises... (we tried a repositioning cruise)

Traditionally Matson sailed to Hawaii... but Boeing and the 707 ended that about 1960... The Matsonia aka Lurline, ended up as the Britannis sailing for Chandris (before Celebrity and RCI) before sinking off South Africa while under tow.

San Francisco is a really great, really pretty cruise friendly cruise port in a poor location. Too far from other ports, foreign ports, from reliable sun. We are a cheap air flight or reasonable drive from LA and San Diego... a slightly longer flight from Seattle and Vancouver...

Gavin tried... but it wasn't his core priority. He has other things on his plate...

Very well stated, thanks. :)

San Francisco is in a difficult place...

Having lived in S.F. in the 50s and 60s, I can remember that mayors dating back to George Christopher then Joe Alioto all grandly promised wonders in the way of rebuilding and modernizing San Francisco's aging cruise terminal.

Mayors in the following years have promised the same thing, and here we are in 2011 and still no new terminal and no concrete plans on financing or even building......

Dream on!!

San Diego is near a foreign border and yet the $28 million dollars spent there to build a new cruise terminal, Broadway Pier, has not resulted in more revenue for the city.

On the contrary, Southern California is getting far fewer ships calling there and so is Los Angeles.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/05/san-diego-port-to-debut-new-cruise-terminal/

Maybe with the Americas Cup coming to the SF Bay we'll get a cruise terminal. My parents sailed on the Matson in the '50's & I've been out of SF on several Celebrity and a couple of Princess cruises. Sure would like to see it become a cruise port. Maybe Oakland is interested!!!!

I disagree. A northern 7 day to Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle would be a really fun experience. I did a 4 day repo out of LA to Victoria and Vancouver. Whenever I talk about it, many tell me that they would love to have a Victoria, Vancouver cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

I am ticketed on Princess for the April 13, 2012, cruise round trip to Hawaii. 15 nighter. Although I have been to San Francisco quite a few times, that was many years ago in a galaxy far, far away (I was going through the language school at the Presidio of Monterey in 1965-66). Whatever I knew then, I don't know now.

I plan to come into San Francisco the day before and would like some help on the best place to stay close to the embarkation point (looking on the Princess web site that is Pier 35) and the best way to get there from SFO. I am bound in a scooter, so won't be able to get around too much, and too old to hit up North Beach again, so I could use all the advice I can get get.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Chris

I will reply only to your last para about scooter!

Sadly Carol Doda is not at North Beach anymore. But I disagree without even meeting you that you are too old to enjoy SF!

I am not wheelchair bound but use public transit quite often. San Francisco is a very Wheelchair friendly place. All the buses have wheelchair ramps that can be extended to allow wheelchair boarding and specific seats which allow wheelchairs to be locked in place once on the bus. Most intersections have curbs that are wheelchair friendly. ADA compliance is required for all public facilities including Restaurants. So please plan on making the most of your stay here in San Francisco.

I avoid tourist recommendations because as a resident it is very difficult for me to think like a tourist!

I am bound in a scooter, so won't be able to get around too much, and too old to hit up North Beach again, so I could use all the advice I can get get.

Chris

Because no one has replied, I will give my opinion. I hope some others will respond.

Hotels: Nearly all the hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf (FW)area are within 6 blocks of Pier 35 / Pier 27 (where Princess docks). Also you will be able to wander around in your scooter in that area. An economical way is to book using Priceline -- it will be about 50% of the published rate. Federal requirements probably makes Priceline guarantee wheelchair accessible rooms.

SFO / Hotel: With one person, Super Shuttle will be the least expensive. Use the Super Shuttle website for more information. With 2 to 3 persons, a cab will be a somewhat more but comfortable. Cabs will be about $60 including tip from SF to FW hotels. There is Cab Monitor outside the terminal and he will call for a wheelchair accessible cab (usually a Van type) from the waiting lot.

If you need more specific information that you cannot find on-line, please post here and I will get the information for you.

Enjoy your stay in SF and also your wonderful cruise.

I plan to come into San Francisco the day before and would like some help on the best place to stay close to the embarkation point (looking on the Princess web site that is Pier 35) and the best way to get there from SFO. I am bound in a scooter, so won't be able to get around too much, and too old to hit up North Beach again, so I could use all the advice I can get get.

Chris

Archived