Just returned Crown Princess Review

gloreuscruising

Review of Crown Princess

Sail Date: December 21, 2008

Port of Departure: Fort Lauderdale

Itinerary: Princess Cays, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

Captain: Andrew Proctor

First let me explain that this is our 9th sailing, our first Princess cruise and it has been two and a half years since we last sailed. I am saying this because I am not sure if what we experienced is the same throughout the fleet or specific to this particular Princess cruise. My husband, 18 year old son and myself were traveling for our Christmas vacation!

The Embarkation process was a breeze and was the first exceptional experience at embarkation we have ever experienced. Ever! We shuttled in from our hotel around 11:30 am, (pre-cruise stay), walked into the terminal, signed required paperwork, walked up for photo and on to the ship. From start to finish it probably did not take more than half an hour to get on the ship and into our stateroom.

We had booked an inside stateroom, Emerald deck 8, aft. The stateroom was as I expected. Small, but it was an inside category. You can’t expect much when you are not prepared to pay for more and it was a Christmas sailing so we were paying plenty as it was.

The lunch buffet was fine for embarkation day. The usual salads, sandwiches, pastas, etc. We managed the muster drill well and were prepared for departure. We ended up having to wait about a half hour for late passengers that were delayed due to weather. Fine, it gave us time to have a look around the ship and find a spot outside to watch the ship leave the port. Call it quirky, but I do love to watch the ship leave port.

The Crown is a nice ship. You could say a beautiful ship. It was all decked out for Christmas. Decorated Christmas trees in various places. Garland on the Piazza staircase and railings, Poinsettias in various pots all around the ship. It was quite pretty. I was happy to see this because up ‘til now it just didn’t feel like Christmas.

Our first port of call was Princess Cays. For those not familiar with this port it is the private island for Princess in the Bahamas. We had to tender for this port and I have to say the tendering was quite organized. Passengers, when ready to depart, would go to the Explorer lounge on deck 7, and receive a ticket from one of the cruise personnel. When your ticket number was called you were ready to report to the tender. If you were one of those people that wanted to jump the gun and pick up your ticket before you were ready, you were left behind. Everyone was warned, repeatedly, that if you were not ready to tender then do not take a ticket number as they will not wait for you, and will move on to the next number. From what I could tell everything went smoothly and I did not see or hear anyone complain. We were very impressed. Princess Cays was a nice island, however the sand was not the powdery stuff I have encountered on other private islands. There were a lot of rocks along the water’s edge and in the water so you definitely required beach shoes to protect your feet. The day was hot and sunny and the island managed to contain the three thousand plus people that were on the ship. The luncheon provided was typical for this type of port. All in all it was a good day.

The next day was a sea day. Enough to keep you busy if you wanted to be. It was a bit difficult to find a lounge chair if you were not an early riser, but this is common on most cruises.

St. Maarten was to be a beach day as well. We had purchased excursion tickets and when we were standing in line the biggest downpour came upon us. We were drenched in seconds. The other concern was the wind. The excursion organizers informed us that due to the wind the water was not safe to swim in, and that the forecast was not in our favor. Those of us that wanted to cancel were welcomed to go back to the ship and get a refund on our tour. We opted for the refund. So back to the ship we went looking like wet rats. A change of clothes, and a hairdryer later we headed out for some shopping. Souvenir time. We managed to get a couple hours of walking around the shops then headed back to the ship. We did not manage to stay dry as just when we returned to the ship another downpour caught us. Oh well, we were back at the ship so it was a short walk to dry clothes and hot food.

St. Thomas turned out to have the best weather. I did a photography tour and my husband and son did the Captain Nautica’s snorkeling excursion. Again we were dealing with a bit of wind so their snorkeling excursion was cut a little short, but they did get to see a fair amount of fish and coral. My husband did say he wished they stayed at their first stop longer, because the second stop turned out to be not as good. They did see a couple of sea turtles but they were quite deep so they could not get a picture of them. Toss of the dice I guess. My excursion was enjoyable, although a little beyond my photographic skills. I did manage to learn a few things about taking pictures and we did make four scenic stops as we toured around the island so I would say this was a successful excursion. There were a couple of rainy periods but they did not last for long. My tour guide did mention that the wind is expected at this time of year and said the islanders call it the Christmas wind. I will file this away for future reference when booking again.

Our next stop of Grand Turk was cancelled, again due to high winds. 35 - 45 knots according to the captain. So we are on our way to Fort Lauderdale. I have to admit although we were disappointed as we have never been to Grand Turk before I had to agree with the captain. The winds were brutal.

Now for a more personal opinion on the food offered on the cruise. I am lactose intolerant and so I had it noted on my file and at time of booking made a request for first dining. The first dining request was confirmed at time of deposit so I felt I should not be concerned as the waiter will become familiar with what I can and cannot eat quickly. However once we arrived at the ship we came to find out we were marked down for anytime dining. I was not happy about this so I went and stood in line to see the Maitre ‘D at the allotted time. Two hours of waiting. Fortunately he was able to accommodate us for first dining. He could only provide us with a table for four so we ate each meal together without anyone else at the table. Now for the food…I was greatly disappointed with what was offered each night. I found the menu to be limited and not very, I don’t know, imaginative. The second night on the ship fish and chips were offered. This may appeal to some but I have never seen this before and did not feel this was ‘cruise fare’. There were a few items during the week that were exceptional, like the pheasant on our last night, but overall we were expecting better. Our service was fine but the waiter was training a new junior waiter and had a full compliment of tables, so a couple of nights he forgot to bring our soup course, and our drinks on another night. I really don’t blame him as he was run off his feet and I truly believe he did the best he could. I am not sure if this is common now but we only had a waiter and junior waiter. They were responsible for all our drinks, our meals, desserts, etc. In the past there has been a waiter, junior waiter, drink steward and a senior waiter. I guess positions are getting cut with the times. I did think however that the wait staff was a bit too thin. I do have to say that on our second night due to some communication difficulties with our waiter, I was unable to eat the food he brought to me. I could tell he was troubled by this and brought the Maitre ‘D over to speak to me. Once I explained my dietary problems the Maitre’D took fabulous care of me. Each night he would bring me the menu for the following day and give me the chance to go over it and provide him with what I would like to eat. I have to say he was a lifesaver as I would have otherwise been quite unhappy with the food available. Even as it was there were some days when I was unable to have more than the main course somewhat altered. The buffet… Some nights we would wait to have dessert and would decide to go to the buffet. I was surprised at the choices available. A few nights we felt the food offered in the buffet was better than what was offered in the dining room. With one exception. The food was never really that hot. By the time you got to your table you were eating cold food. This was pretty much every time, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We ate in the buffet every breakfast, the usual food, scrambled eggs, cereals, grits, fresh fruit, bacon, etc. One thing that my husband liked was that there were prepared fried eggs sitting on a plate waiting for consumption. He enjoyed the eggs a couple of days. He also enjoyed all the smoked fish that was available. I enjoyed the oatmeal, my morning staple, although it would have been better with fresh berries which were no where to be found. I never saw a berry for the whole trip. My son enjoyed the French toast, bacon and, of course the breakfast pastries. The orange juice was too concentrated and the coffee was horrible. Tasted like diluted coffee syrup. Yuk!

Lunch buffet was similar every day! Pasta at the beginning of the week was varied and good, towards the end of the week it was repetitious. Same ole, same ole. This was the one meal that I, as well as the rest of the family, was most disappointed with. The other disappointment was the drinks available in the buffet dining rooms. We had a choice of bad coffee, hot water for tea, cold water or iced tea. That’s it. A pop card was purchased for my son so he had pop. I was hoping for lemonade or fruit juice but it was never available at all for the entire length of the cruise. The other big disappointment was that I could only purchase a non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiri. Not a pineapple one, or a peach one, only the strawberry. The non-alcoholic drinks were very limited. I found the strawberry drink too sweet and syrupy so I stuck to iced tea and water. Ho hum.

The entertainment was, again in my opinion, very poor to plain sucked! The dancers and singers were not very good. The magicians managed to entertain us but did the same version of their ‘tricks’ throughout their whole routine. Cut her up, put her back together. Make her disappear and reappear. Boring! The only show we found entertaining was not even in the Princess theatre but in the Explorer lounge, the comedian Tony Dano. He had us laughing and we enjoyed the smaller room atmosphere. All in all the entertainment was horrible. We walked out on the other comedian as it was difficult to sit through his 30 year old jokes. I knew the punch lines long before he delivered them. We came to the conclusion that the better acts probably did not wish to work Christmas and this is what was available. Not a major problem but not enjoyable either.

We sat outside one night and watched the Movie under the Stars, which turned out to be Mama Mia. This attracted a large crowd and so space was limited. We ended up having to sit a couple of decks above the main pool area where the screen was displayed. We had a lot of difficulty hearing what was being said because of engine noises but we did enjoy the atmosphere. It seemed to be a popular venue night after night.

One major complaint I have is the ship noises. A couple of nights the ship rocked, rolled and shimmied. The waves did not look that big, but what do I know. I do know that it sounded like the ship was falling apart around us. In the main Piazza where the shops and passenger services were the ship literally groaned and vibrated from what I was told the stabilizers doing their job. I have never experienced this before!! For a ship that is only three years old it was horrible. I was afraid we were going to find leaks. Okay a bit of an exaggeration but it was way too noisy. I felt like I was on a train that was on a ship. Rocking side to side and then shaking all at the same time. At night it was difficult to sleep with all the racket and sometimes concerning. It really was freaking me out. I don’t think the ship was designed well for this to happen. Back to the drawing boards before they build the next one I hope.

There are a few other complaints. Sound system was not clear and therefore announcements were sometimes difficult to understand. The cruise director was often speaking too quickly to catch what he was saying. I found the communications were not precise and left you wondering what exactly are we supposed to do? I also did not like the fact that there were no envelopes left in the stateroom for us in case we wished to leave a few extra dollars to the service personnel that went above and beyond for us. On our last night after dinner I asked at the purser’s desk if I could designate some extra money on my account for a specific employee as there were no envelopes provided in our stateroom and all gratuities were automatically added to our shipboard account after all. I was told that it was not possible to designate money to a certain individual and that I should give this person cash in person. I was surprised by this as I said no envelopes were provided. I later found out there were envelopes available at the pursers desk for you to pick up on your own. I’m not sure if this is a good procedure or not. I wish I had known about it ahead of time. I did nominate our Maitre ‘D for employee recognition. I feel cheap however as I wanted to provide him with a bit of a bonus for taking such good care of me, but did not feel handing him money without being in an envelope was proper etiquette. Another learning experience, although a bit of an embarrassing one.

I guess that is the about it. My first written review so if you have any specific questions please feel free to get in touch with me. I will do my best to answer honestly and try to not be too opinionated.

Overall our cruise vacation was okay. It was not as good as any in the past, but you have to try new things as you just don’t know what you may miss out on. I can honestly say that I don’t think Princess is the cruise line for us. I may try them again, but the chances are slim. It would have to be an unbelievable itinerary. We had some good family time together, which in today’s day and age is a rarity.

Happy New Year everyone.

Review of Crown Princess

First let me explain that this is our 9th sailing, our first Princess cruise and it has been two and a half years since we last sailed. I am saying this because I am not sure if what we experienced is the same throughout the fleet or specific to this particular Princess cruise. My husband, 18 year old son and myself were traveling for our Christmas vacation!

The Embarkation process was a breeze and was the first exceptional experience at embarkation we have ever experienced. Ever! We shuttled in from our hotel around 11:30 am, (pre-cruise stay), walked into the terminal, signed required paperwork, walked up for photo and on to the ship. From start to finish it probably did not take more than half an hour to get on the ship and into our stateroom.

We had booked an inside stateroom, Emerald deck 8, aft. The stateroom was as I expected. Small, but it was an inside category. You can’t expect much when you are not prepared to pay for more and it was a Christmas sailing so we were paying plenty as it was.

The lunch buffet was fine for embarkation day. The usual salads, sandwiches, pastas, etc. We managed the muster drill well and were prepared for departure. We ended up having to wait about a half hour for late passengers that were delayed due to weather. Fine, it gave us time to have a look around the ship and find a spot outside to watch the ship leave the port. Call it quirky, but I do love to watch the ship leave port.

The Crown is a nice ship. You could say a beautiful ship. It was all decked out for Christmas. Decorated Christmas trees in various places. Garland on the Piazza staircase and railings, Poinsettias in various pots all around the ship. It was quite pretty. I was happy to see this because up ‘til now it just didn’t feel like Christmas.

Our first port of call was Princess Cays. For those not familiar with this port it is the private island for Princess in the Bahamas. We had to tender for this port and I have to say the tendering was quite organized. Passengers, when ready to depart, would go to the Explorer lounge on deck 7, and receive a ticket from one of the cruise personnel. When your ticket number was called you were ready to report to the tender. If you were one of those people that wanted to jump the gun and pick up your ticket before you were ready, you were left behind. Everyone was warned, repeatedly, that if you were not ready to tender then do not take a ticket number as they will not wait for you, and will move on to the next number. From what I could tell everything went smoothly and I did not see or hear anyone complain. We were very impressed. Princess Cays was a nice island, however the sand was not the powdery stuff I have encountered on other private islands. There were a lot of rocks along the water’s edge and in the water so you definitely required beach shoes to protect your feet. The day was hot and sunny and the island managed to contain the three thousand plus people that were on the ship. The luncheon provided was typical for this type of port. All in all it was a good day.

The next day was a sea day. Enough to keep you busy if you wanted to be. It was a bit difficult to find a lounge chair if you were not an early riser, but this is common on most cruises.

St. Maarten was to be a beach day as well. We had purchased excursion tickets and when we were standing in line the biggest downpour came upon us. We were drenched in seconds. The other concern was the wind. The excursion organizers informed us that due to the wind the water was not safe to swim in, and that the forecast was not in our favor. Those of us that wanted to cancel were welcomed to go back to the ship and get a refund on our tour. We opted for the refund. So back to the ship we went looking like wet rats. A change of clothes, and a hairdryer later we headed out for some shopping. Souvenir time. We managed to get a couple hours of walking around the shops then headed back to the ship. We did not manage to stay dry as just when we returned to the ship another downpour caught us. Oh well, we were back at the ship so it was a short walk to dry clothes and hot food.

St. Thomas turned out to have the best weather. I did a photography tour and my husband and son did the Captain Nautica’s snorkeling excursion. Again we were dealing with a bit of wind so their snorkeling excursion was cut a little short, but they did get to see a fair amount of fish and coral. My husband did say he wished they stayed at their first stop longer, because the second stop turned out to be not as good. They did see a couple of sea turtles but they were quite deep so they could not get a picture of them. Toss of the dice I guess. My excursion was enjoyable, although a little beyond my photographic skills. I did manage to learn a few things about taking pictures and we did make four scenic stops as we toured around the island so I would say this was a successful excursion. There were a couple of rainy periods but they did not last for long. My tour guide did mention that the wind is expected at this time of year and said the islanders call it the Christmas wind. I will file this away for future reference when booking again.

Our next stop of Grand Turk was cancelled, again due to high winds. 35 - 45 knots according to the captain. So we are on our way to Fort Lauderdale. I have to admit although we were disappointed as we have never been to Grand Turk before I had to agree with the captain. The winds were brutal.

Now for a more personal opinion on the food offered on the cruise. I am lactose intolerant and so I had it noted on my file and at time of booking made a request for first dining. The first dining request was confirmed at time of deposit so I felt I should not be concerned as the waiter will become familiar with what I can and cannot eat quickly. However once we arrived at the ship we came to find out we were marked down for anytime dining. I was not happy about this so I went and stood in line to see the Maitre ‘D at the allotted time. Two hours of waiting. Fortunately he was able to accommodate us for first dining. He could only provide us with a table for four so we ate each meal together without anyone else at the table. Now for the food…I was greatly disappointed with what was offered each night. I found the menu to be limited and not very, I don’t know, imaginative. The second night on the ship fish and chips were offered. This may appeal to some but I have never seen this before and did not feel this was ‘cruise fare’. There were a few items during the week that were exceptional, like the pheasant on our last night, but overall we were expecting better. Our service was fine but the waiter was training a new junior waiter and had a full compliment of tables, so a couple of nights he forgot to bring our soup course, and our drinks on another night. I really don’t blame him as he was run off his feet and I truly believe he did the best he could. I am not sure if this is common now but we only had a waiter and junior waiter. They were responsible for all our drinks, our meals, desserts, etc. In the past there has been a waiter, junior waiter, drink steward and a senior waiter. I guess positions are getting cut with the times. I did think however that the wait staff was a bit too thin. I do have to say that on our second night due to some communication difficulties with our waiter, I was unable to eat the food he brought to me. I could tell he was troubled by this and brought the Maitre ‘D over to speak to me. Once I explained my dietary problems the Maitre’D took fabulous care of me. Each night he would bring me the menu for the following day and give me the chance to go over it and provide him with what I would like to eat. I have to say he was a lifesaver as I would have otherwise been quite unhappy with the food available. Even as it was there were some days when I was unable to have more than the main course somewhat altered. The buffet… Some nights we would wait to have dessert and would decide to go to the buffet. I was surprised at the choices available. A few nights we felt the food offered in the buffet was better than what was offered in the dining room. With one exception. The food was never really that hot. By the time you got to your table you were eating cold food. This was pretty much every time, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We ate in the buffet every breakfast, the usual food, scrambled eggs, cereals, grits, fresh fruit, bacon, etc. One thing that my husband liked was that there were prepared fried eggs sitting on a plate waiting for consumption. He enjoyed the eggs a couple of days. He also enjoyed all the smoked fish that was available. I enjoyed the oatmeal, my morning staple, although it would have been better with fresh berries which were no where to be found. I never saw a berry for the whole trip. My son enjoyed the French toast, bacon and, of course the breakfast pastries. The orange juice was too concentrated and the coffee was horrible. Tasted like diluted coffee syrup. Yuk!

Lunch buffet was similar every day! Pasta at the beginning of the week was varied and good, towards the end of the week it was repetitious. Same ole, same ole. This was the one meal that I, as well as the rest of the family, was most disappointed with. The other disappointment was the drinks available in the buffet dining rooms. We had a choice of bad coffee, hot water for tea, cold water or iced tea. That’s it. A pop card was purchased for my son so he had pop. I was hoping for lemonade or fruit juice but it was never available at all for the entire length of the cruise. The other big disappointment was that I could only purchase a non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiri. Not a pineapple one, or a peach one, only the strawberry. The non-alcoholic drinks were very limited. I found the strawberry drink too sweet and syrupy so I stuck to iced tea and water. Ho hum.

The entertainment was, again in my opinion, very poor to plain sucked! The dancers and singers were not very good. The magicians managed to entertain us but did the same version of their ‘tricks’ throughout their whole routine. Cut her up, put her back together. Make her disappear and reappear. Boring! The only show we found entertaining was not even in the Princess theatre but in the Explorer lounge, the comedian Tony Dano. He had us laughing and we enjoyed the smaller room atmosphere. All in all the entertainment was horrible. We walked out on the other comedian as it was difficult to sit through his 30 year old jokes. I knew the punch lines long before he delivered them.

We sat outside one night and watched the Movie under the Stars, which turned out to be Mama Mia. This attracted a large crowd and so space was limited. We ended up having to sit a couple of decks above the main pool area where the screen was displayed. We had a lot of difficulty hearing what was being said because of engine noises but we did enjoy the atmosphere. It seemed to be a popular venue night after night.

One major complaint I have is the ship noises. A couple of nights the ship rocked, rolled and shimmied. The waves did not look that big, but what do I know. I do know that it sounded like the ship was falling apart around us. In the main Piazza where the shops and passenger services were the ship literally groaned and vibrated from what I was told the stabilizers doing their job. I have never experienced this before!! For a ship that is only three years old it was horrible. I was afraid we were going to find leaks. Okay a bit of an exaggeration but it was way too noisy. I felt like I was on a train that was on a ship. Rocking side to side and then shaking all at the same time. At night it was difficult to sleep with all the racket and sometimes concerning. It really was freaking me out. I don’t think the ship was designed well for this to happen. Back to the drawing boards before they build the next one I hope.

There are a few other complaints. Sound system was not clear and therefore announcements were sometimes difficult to understand. The cruise director was often speaking too quickly to catch what he was saying. I found the communications were not precise and left you wondering what exactly are we supposed to do? I also did not like the fact that there were no envelopes left in the stateroom for us in case we wished to leave a few extra dollars to the service personnel that went above and beyond for us. On our last night after dinner I asked at the purser’s desk if I could designate some extra money on my account for a specific employee as there were no envelopes provided in our stateroom and all gratuities were automatically added to our shipboard account after all. I was told that it was not possible to designate money to a certain individual and that I should give this person cash in person. I was surprised by this as I said no envelopes were provided. I later found out there were envelopes available at the pursers desk for you to pick up on your own. I’m not sure if this is a good procedure or not. I wish I had known about it ahead of time. I did nominate our Maitre ‘D for employee recognition. I feel cheap however as I wanted to provide him with a bit of a bonus for taking such good care of me, but did not feel handing him money without being in an envelope was proper etiquette. Another learning experience, although a bit of an embarrassing one.

I guess that is the about it. My first written review so if you have any specific questions please feel free to get in touch with me. I will do my best to answer honestly and try to not be too opinionated.

Overall our cruise vacation was okay. It was not as good as any in the past, but you have to try new things as you just don’t know what you may miss out on. I can honestly say that I don’t think Princess is the cruise line for us. I may try them again, but the chances are slim. It would have to be an unbelievable itinerary. We had some good family time together, which in today’s day and age is a rarity.

Happy New Year everyone.

Some Comments:

I think many of us had requested "Fish & Chips" to be included. I personally think it is a good addition. In SF and also in Sydney Australia, many upscale seafood restaurants include it in their menu!

In "all" of our Princess Cruises since 2002, we have always had "only" a Waiter and Junior Waiter and they handled "all" the dining room service at our tables. So perhaps, you are mixing up your experiences with some other cruise lines.

Review of Crown Princess

The second night on the ship fish and chips were offered. This may appeal to some but I have never seen this before and did not feel this was ‘cruise fare’.

I am not sure if this is common now but we only had a waiter and junior waiter. They were responsible for all our drinks, our meals, desserts, etc. In the past there has been a waiter, junior waiter, drink steward and a senior waiter. I guess positions are getting cut with the times. I did think however that the wait staff was a bit too thin.

Happy New Year everyone.

Thanks for the review. The declining food and entertainment quality seem to be a consistent theme on the Crown and other Princess ships. We are sailing on her February 15th and are approaching the food with an open mind with no expectations. At least we don't have to cook for a week.

Thanks for the review. I'm sailing her on 1/4/09... seems like a lot of people are talking about the ship's stabilizers and rocking and rolling. A friend of mine sailed on the Emerald and on the inaugural Ruby Princess and they didn't experience this and these two ships were built after the Crown. Any ideas what she went into drydock for then? :cool:

As for the production shows, what were they and what was horrible about them (choreography off, skimpy costumes, etc)?

I don't know the age of your son but if he's got any thoughts on the disco such as music played and DJ ability to spin the music would also be welcomed information for me! :D

Thank you! :)

Appreciate the review. I think you can get envelopes for tips from the Pursers desk. That's where we got ours on the Crown last year.

Thank you also for the review.

We did tip our waiter and jr. waiter extra more then what they would have received just from the auto-tips.

We got the envelopes from the pursers desk. We wrote our names and state room number on the envelopes and gave them to them the last night saying "This is over and beyond the auto-tips that we did leave on".

We were on the Crown in October, same route. We were also on the Crown in April, southern route. I agree with some of what the reviewer has stated but not all, and it is obvious the reviewer had done little or no research on current Princess cruises before this one, which I think would have affected his/her reaction to certain things (no tip envelopes, buffet food, coffee, etc.). We too were "guaranteed" assigned second seating according to Cruise Personalizer, only to find we were in "anytime" and had to work this out with the matre'd. Others had the same experience. I have to wonder if this is a bit of a cop-out on Princess's part, i.e., since many more people want assigned seating than there are tables available, they just put in the cruise personalizer that you have the seating you want, then throw you into anytime and hope you will either accept it or work it out on board? To cut down on complaints perhaps? I also have no sympathy for complaints about ship movement. I'm sorry to be sarcastic here, but if you don't want or expect to feel the ship move (even a fair amount) from time to time, perhaps you should consider a shore vacation instead. In spite of stabilizers and everything the crew can do, you are on the ocean for goodness sake, and you will feel the ship move. On our October cruise on the Crown we were in 8 - 12 foot seas one night and most of the next day and you could feel some movement, but that "goes with the territory," folks. And we didn't spring any leaks, as far as I could tell! ;~)

Sorry.

Geezum , now I am nervious, we have a group of 18 plus 2 children going on the Crown Feb. 1st. It was to be for our daughters wedding but she canceled the wedding (better now than later). Some of us have never cruised before and some have been on many cruises.

I hope everything is good for our crusie. I would feel bad if some of our guests were unhappy. This is our Celebration of Friends and Family cruise. hope it all goes well.

To the OP, did you even think of asking for lemonade at the buffet? They don't have dispensers set up yet but will get you a glass at a time.

As far as noise on the ship goes, I haven't been on a ship yet where there weren't creaks & groans to be heard. I haven't yet been on the Crown but wouldn't expect it to be much different than the other ships.

Thanks for posting your review.

I hope before your next cruise, and trying a new cruise line, you do a bit more research about what to expect. Although it sounds like you had a very good cruise, many of the complaints are 'expected' on Princess. Bad coffee is one of them. No fruit punch or lemonade (although it's supposed to be coming to all ships soon) at the buffet are normal for a Princess sailing. I am guessing some or most of your previous cruises may have been on Carnival perhaps? Just a guess with some of the things you seemed to miss.

There were just too many small complaints to address them all, but many could have been answered before you left. Or by reading a few reviews posted here on cruise critic, which would have filled you in a bit and helped you decide if Princess was the cruise line you should choose, or at least prepare you for what you will receive or not recieve onboard your sailing.

One thing to keep in mind also. When it's been 2 1/2 years since your last cruise, you are definitely going to see big changes in these economic times, the food presented seems to be a big cut back IMHO. What you probably won't find is an increase in prices in the last 2 1/2 years. Kind of self explanatory there. Although you will pay a premium when sailing on a holiday cruise on any cruise line.

Again, glad you enjoyed the cruise, and the review was very well written. Thanks Again!

Never cruised on Cunard. But I do have a suggestion for you -- please invest a part of the price difference between Cunard and Princess to eat in the Specialty Restaurants (Sabatinins / Crown). At least there is no "Class" difference in dining on Princess Cruises as there is on QM2! Wishing you an enjoyable cruise.

I am disappointed to read your review of the Crown. Our 1st Princess cruise will be on Jan 11th after 5 cruises/crossings on QM2. I was hoping the food would be comparable with Cunard as several people have told us it is.

No, we did not eat at the Crown Grill, but the menu did look good. The reservations were full right from the start. I did notice everyone was leaving with a satisfied look on their face. The room itself was quite beautiful. Lots of rich wood. If you are interested in trying the Crown Grill out make your reservations early.

Thanks for the review. I'm sailing her on 1/4/09... seems like a lot of people are talking about the ship's stabilizers and rocking and rolling. A friend of mine sailed on the Emerald and on the inaugural Ruby Princess and they didn't experience this and these two ships were built after the Crown. Any ideas what she went into drydock for then? :cool:

As for the production shows, what were they and what was horrible about them (choreography off, skimpy costumes, etc)?

I don't know the age of your son but if he's got any thoughts on the disco such as music played and DJ ability to spin the music would also be welcomed information for me! :D

Thank you! :)

For us, and again this is strictly a personal opinion, the shows were not performed well. I think the speaker system had some to do with it. Some performers you could hear louder than others. It must have been a newer routine as not all of them seemed to know what steps came next. In all fairness, however, the ship was really rocking for most of the nights. It seemed like we sure hit the jackpot on the wind. The costumes were nice and not too skimpy. I think a lot of the 'little things' that I have commented about had to do with the time of year we sailed. The ship was packed and there were a number of new crew onboard.

Thanks for your review, gloreuscruising!

Do you recall which hotel you stayed in, when doing the overnight in Fort Lauderdale?

Hi Wendy,

We stayed at the SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport, Dania Beach. They offered a free shuttle to/from the airport/ and to the port. We also had a hot breakfast included. The hotel is smoke-free if it matters.

No, we did not eat at the Crown Grill, but the menu did look good. The reservations were full right from the start. I did notice everyone was leaving with a satisfied look on their face. The room itself was quite beautiful. Lots of rich wood. If you are interested in trying the Crown Grill out make your reservations early.

Thanks for the tip! How big was the largest steak they had in the Crown Grill... if you can remember? If you can't that's fine too! :) Thanks for helping us future Crown cruisers out! :D

Geezum , now I am nervious, we have a group of 18 plus 2 children going on the Crown Feb. 1st. It was to be for our daughters wedding but she canceled the wedding (better now than later). Some of us have never cruised before and some have been on many cruises.

I hope everything is good for our crusie. I would feel bad if some of our guests were unhappy. This is our Celebration of Friends and Family cruise. hope it all goes well.

I wouldn't be worried or nervous. You are traveling at a good time of year. The weather should be good and you are with friends and family. That will make the cruise the best. And remember everyone's opinion is different. Bon Voyage.

The ship was packed and there were a number of new crew onboard.

Seems like that is a recurring theme after a ship leaves dry dock that there are a ton of new unseasoned crew onboard. Thanks for the feedback on the main production shows though. Those are usually what I like the most out of the Princess Theater entertainment.

Mamma Mia on the MUTS will be great! I haven't seen that movie yet and that'll be a perfect way to spend the pre-nightclub evening hours!

Any comments on the Skywalker's disco? :)

It is all what we make of our vacation. Keep an open mind and go with the flow. No worries mate !:D

See you on board.

Thanks for the review. We are certainly looking forward to getting on this ship and enjoying everything and more. As far as the ship and its rocking, rolling, and making noises - I am not so sure I follow you on this one. Normally, ships move, and make plenty of different sounds. Not really sure if you have been in a hurricane storm before, but I have been in 25+ foot waves and would prefer not to be in a storm like this again. It did not look like that large of waves but it sure felt like it and the captain confirmed the wave heights. You should have heard all the banging and glass breaking on this one.... oh boy!

Glad you had a great time.

Thanks for the review. I just want to point out a tip for future cruisers that we have seen on these boards. If you are confirmed for tradtional dining on the cruise personalizer, print out a copy of this to bring onboard. We have seen a number of case where passengers arrived to find they were suddenly put into anytime. I know that the OP was accommodated in early tradtional, but taking the printout improves your chances and minimizes some of the stress.

Archived