Considering West Coast cruise - have questions, want opinions please!

BambiRumsey

HI!

We've cruised a bit but have always done either Western or Eastern Carib. Since prices are just about the same and we'll use southwest coupons to fly there, we are looking at exploring a cruise out of California for our next one.

We are water people - we like snorkel or beach excursions in our ports of call. Is the water warm enough in these western Mexico ports? For people who have done both caribbean and mexico cruises how do they compare? How is the snorkeling there? Stuff to see - clear water (if it is warm enough!)? Do you need a wet suit? How are the seas? We found cruising the Atlantic around Cape Hatteras was VERY rough, worried about the Pacific.

We love the Spirit class so the ships are not an issue, just concerned about ports, activities to do there, etc.

The water in Catalina and Ensenada is cold. Even Cabo can be chilly. The southern ports, Acapulco, Manzanillo, Ixtapa, Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan have comfortable water.

I would sail the eight day Spirit itinerary in a heart beat. San Diego is such an easy port to embark from. The airport is only a few minutes away and there are plenty of things to do if you come in a day or two early or stay a day or two after.

I would also sail the Pride itinerary from Long Beach but it would be a distant second choice for me.

I can only give my experience. We have sailed 6 times in the Caribbean and 1 time to western Mexico. We sailed in late June and early July timeframe.

From Longbeach. In the evening is was cold as heck out on deck. Had to wear a jacket or sweatshirt.

Finally got warm enough to bear about the time you get half way to Cabo.

Water excursions were too cold for me. Thought about it, tried it, went back to land excursions.

Weather was fabulous once we got to Cabo and south.

My opinion only

We stick with the Caribbean now. Would we do another Mexican cruise? Yes, but it would have to be under special circumstances.

We have sailed on the Pride out of Long Beach 3 times, and have also sailed on the Dawn Princess out of San Diego. Out of Long Beach, you can almost count on two days of cool weather (initial day heading south, and final day heading north), in some cases too cool to lie in the sun, and sometimes on the final day, the upper decks will even be closed because of the wind. We don't think the snorkelling is nearly as good as the caribbean - cloudy water, and not as much to see. We normally travel during March so if you are thinking of travelling in the summer, it could be much warmer.

With that said, the Mexican Riviera is a wonderful place to cruise, and we'll continue to do so. I would also recommend taking one of the ships out of San Diego.

We'll be on the Pride on March 22nd when it leaves Long Beach for Miami/Baltimore.:)

I will be Sailing the Spirit later on in the month so i will have more feedback for you then....

but from what i here these are the ports that would suit you best if the time fits your schedule....The spirit only runs the Mexican riviera only part time of the year the summer months there run to Alaska and Hawaii...

The Splender will be in town in a few months ....If you want to sail during the summer this will be a great choice for you... New ship!!!!:D

we like to cruise in the December/January time frame to get some warmth and sun in the middle of winter. Most of you folks seem to be saying that for the things we like to do we are better off sticking with a summer trip and going out of SD to the ports south of Cabo?

Thanks so much for your input!!!!

The Dec/Jan route on the Spirit would probably suit you... given the snorkeling in these ports & the water clarity/color is much different than the Caribbean; but still worth it for something new. Just know what to expect as far as the differences. We sailed the 8 day in Nov., weather was cool the first day down & the last day back - but in between the temps were in the mid 80s to near 90 in Acapulco.

we like to cruise in the December/January time frame to get some warmth and sun in the middle of winter. Most of you folks seem to be saying that for the things we like to do we are better off sticking with a summer trip and going out of SD to the ports south of Cabo?

12 months a year the Mexican Riviera will be warm once you are there. That would include Cabo and everywhere south of Cabo.

But in the Winter months it will be chilly getting to Cabo and on the way back only on the ship........

In the summer it will be hot and humid at the ports. But you still might experience wind on the ship (before and after Cabo) which makes it feel cooler.........it is hit or miss.......

For this reason we book in late spring or early summer....because we are balcony people and we found we can't use the balcony in the winter months until we hit Mexico......too cold for us.....

As for snorkeling...the further south the better.....

I wished they had the 8 day Spirit in the summer........this May we will be sailing on the Mariner....

hmmmm.....so if we book our traditional winter cruise we can save money on the balcony and buy an outside because it is to chilly to use the balcony!

That's totally up to you. I won't sail without one unless it is on the Fantasy class.........

Don't get me wrong, we still enjoyed the balcony while in Mexico in the Winter months, but we love to spend time on the balcony on all the sea days.....so for us, the late spring and summer works out better.....

I've sailed the Pride Mexican Riviera, Miracle Western Caribbean and Valor Eastern Caribbean. All 3 cruises were the end of March.

Mex. Riv. itinerary was Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo. The first and last days at sea were very chilly. The weather in each of the ports was gorgeous! We did not do a water excursion in PV.

The water in Mazatlan was warm and not too rough. The beach is different from Caribbean ~ more compact sand and a darker grey color. Still beautiful and lots of fun.

We did a snorkel tour in Cabo......I would not recommend snorkeling in Cabo! The water was literally FREEZING, and I am tough when it comes to water temp. This was take-your-breath-away-cold. It was my first snorkel and I stayed in that darn water and had a blast. Very few fish to see and all were black or grey. After snorkeling in 2 different Caribbean ports, I realized what a difference there was.

After the snorkel, we went to a resort in Cabo where friends were staying. The water on the beach was much warmer than out where we snorkeled, but the surf was VERY rough.

Mex. Riv. is lots of fun. I am doing another one next year on the Spirit 8-day. It is different from the Caribbean, but still a lot of fun. I would try to do your water/beach activities in the more southern ports, though. Good luck!

I only sail the west coast because I live here (right between the L.A. and San Diego ports). I LOVE the Caribbean! The warm, turquoise water and the soft sand, ahhhh. My Valor Eastern Caribbean cruise was AWESOME! If I lived on the east coast, I'm not sure I would come out here...well, maybe once. I am booked on a 5 day Mexican cruise this month because I love to cruise, no matter where, but if I had a choice, I would cruise out of the south or the east. I just can't afford the airfare :(.

We just got back from a New Year's cruise on the Pride out of Long Beach. This is the second New Year's cruise we have done on this route, and we also did the same cruise last April.

The first and last sea days were chilly. More so on the way back than out. We had a balcony, and used it everyday regardless. On the way back we were sheltered from the wind and in a patch of sun, so our balcony was actually warmer than out on deck.

The weather temps in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo were all in the 80s while we were there. The water temps were around 75 in Cabo, not sure about the other ports. Very comfortable.

We found the best visibilty for snorkeling in Cabo. Puerto Vallarta was just so so. We saw whales, dolphins, and sting rays in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan from the ship, and on our excursions.

We went kayaking in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. The weather was great.

We found the water temps to be warmer in December/January than our trip in April.

hmmmm.....so if we book our traditional winter cruise we can save money on the balcony and buy an outside because it is to chilly to use the balcony!

You've got it exactly right, Bambi.

I've cruised both the PRIDE out of Long Beach and the SPIRIT out of San Diego. Loved them both. See WEBSHOTS pics below.

First and last days a little chilly (but I always cruise off season). The port calls of the SPIRIT are sensational. Loved Acapulco, with the ship berthed literally in the middle of a huge harbor with night time vistas in every direction. Lots of things to see in the lower Mexican Riviera.

Since the oceans move in a clockwise pattern, the western side of the Pacific has water moving down from Alaska, so it is somewhat cooler than Caribbean waters (ocean currents moving North and up the eastern coast). Because the water is much cooler, it has more plankton (great for whales, but not so good for clarity:rolleyes:), so water sports would be less enjoyable I would guess.

I think you would enjoy both of the Spirit-classed ships from either Long Beach or San Diego. I also agree, its too bad the SPIRIT doesn't cruise the Riviera in the summer months (moves to Alaska for the summer). :)

If you're looking for warm water in the Mexican Riviera, the best months to cruise are Sept. - Feb.

Normally, Pacific currents flow in a southerly direction (from Alaska) along the California coast. During winter months, this current is countered with a northern flow (called the Davidson current) bringing in warmer water from the South American coast.

I read this on some dorky meteorology website. :D

We have sailed on the Pride out of Long Beach 3 times, and have also sailed on the Dawn Princess out of San Diego. Out of Long Beach, you can almost count on two days of cool weather (initial day heading south, and final day heading north), in some cases too cool to lie in the sun, and sometimes on the final day, the upper decks will even be closed because of the wind. We don't think the snorkelling is nearly as good as the caribbean - cloudy water, and not as much to see. We normally travel during March so if you are thinking of travelling in the summer, it could be much warmer.

With that said, the Mexican Riviera is a wonderful place to cruise, and we'll continue to do so. I would also recommend taking one of the ships out of San Diego.

We'll be on the Pride on March 22nd when it leaves Long Beach for Miami/Baltimore.:)

Jsmac3 - I'll be on the same cruise LA to Miami. I don't think you've been over to the roll call, have you? We have an absolutely wonderful group of people (calling ourselves the Panamaniacs) and we have some great activities planned before and during the cruise. Please stop by and chat.

The Mexican Riviera is great in September/October, and that is NOT a great time for the Caribbean due to hurricane season...

well.....it's not always the greatest time for Mexico either. We sailed the Pride to Mexico in September....but we almost had to go to Canada instead...because of a hurricane. We didn't know till right before we set sail where we were going! And it was horribly hot and humid! So this time we're going in January.

I would rather go to the Caribbean....but since I live on the west coast it's more economical for me to drive to the port and sail Mexico.

I sailed the Pride in Feb, and a shorty 4 day on the Elation to Cabo in April. Feb, we did have a cooler day the first day at sea, but the rest of the trip was great, warm and sunny. Beaches were warm, but we chickened out on snorkeling, but did do the banana boat. Nobody fell off:rolleyes: In Pv the water was actually very nice, but we spent most of the day zip lining, not at the beach. In Cabo, April, I did snorkel, a bit cold at first dip, but got used to it quick. Good snorkeling till the current got stronger, the it got murkey, but we were almost done anyway. Big problem was the jellyfish. Didn't get me until I was swimming back to the boat, but not bad. Some did geet it bad, but guys on the boat just pee on ya!!:D LOL JK!! They have vinegar. I am doing it again in 2010, can't wait.

Regarding the weather in Mexico, to put things into perspective, I have been all over, used to live in Jamaica, and the one and only sunburn I ever got in my life was in Cabo...in December. Those clouds can fool you, so watch out!!

Point being, it's plenty hot there year round. There is wind when you are at sea, but it will be 80 once you hit the ports.

I have sailed this route many times in all seasons (Jan., April, May, Sept., Nov. Dec.), it is a bit rougher than Caribbean routes, and I have missed Cabo once (Nov. 06) due to high winds making it impossible to tender. But I am doing this route again in April, so clearly it can't be too bad.

Since I live in LA, while I love the Caribbean more than anywhere else, the flying cross country to catch a ship in Miami seems like such a needless pain in the rear when I can drive less than 20 minutes and be at either San Pedro or Long Beach.

It will be windy while you are at sea at times...not necessarily cold during the day, but sometimes windy, so bring a light jacket and a hat with a string so it doesn't blow off!!

quote by Luckysll:

Jsmac3 - I'll be on the same cruise LA to Miami. I don't think you've been over to the roll call, have you? We have an absolutely wonderful group of people (calling ourselves the Panamaniacs) and we have some great activities planned before and during the cruise. Please stop by and chat.

I'll do that Luckysll. I was there a long time ago when it was less than 22 pages or so. We booked the cruise last January. The last time I checked it is now over 300 pages - anything interesting or newsworthy - is there a meet & greet - if so it should be most of the ship.

:):)

Big problem was the jellyfish. Didn't get me until I was swimming back to the boat, but not bad. Some did geet it bad, but guys on the boat just pee on ya!!:D LOL JK!! They have vinegar. I am doing it again in 2010, can't wait.

My son got stung by a jellyfish in Cabo while we were snorkeling also. He had heard the "pee on it" thing, so he went up on the little patch of shore we were near.....found a private place.....and let 'er rip! :p Did not help him at all. He went back to the boat and they put the vinegar on it, and that helped a lot. :D

We just got off the Spirit last week and had a blast. We did the exotic Mexican Riviera because I wanted to make sure it was warm enough. We really enjoyed all the ports, but Zihu was our favorite. I was just on the phone this morning looking at pricing for going back this coming Nov.

Archived