So the people who say the waitstaff has no incentive to please...

ddakrt

Due to autotip and the Freestyle concept, one thing I never got was why don't you just tip at the end of each meal, why do you have to wait until the end of the cruise? :confused:

Every line does autotip these days, yet people still tip extra at the end, so that's not an excuse. I just don't get why some people make such a big fuss about this.

I'm not cheap, by no means. And, I think that the service staff on cruise ships work very, very hard for their money. Having said that, the auto tip is in place so that you don't have to tip after every meal. If you are paying $12 per day autotip, that's $84 pp on a 7 day cruise. I want the staff compensated fairly, but if I'm paying $84 in tips for the week, I'm going to extra tip the "special" people that gave me great service during the week, not every waiter at every meal. To me that's going way overboard and extremely expensive.

CG

I think that the tipping system plays much less of a role in the service you receive in the dining room than some people suggest. Most waiters that we have encountered take a great deal of pride in the quality of service they offer. I am sure that there are also some to whose quality of service may be related to the tips that they hope to receive, while there are a few who are only going to do the minimum to keep their jobs. That is just how it works not only on cruises but elsewhere in the working world. Auto tipping, or tipping at the end of the cruise are just much more convenient and efficient ways of handling tipping onboard ships, whether you have the same or different waiters throughout your cruise.

If you receive really bad service in the dining room, you should speak to your headwaiter or the Maitre'd as soon as possible so that the situation can be addressed. Waiting until the end of the cruise or adjusting your tip downward to reflect your dissatisfaction is not the best way to handle the situation.:)

I think that the tipping system plays much less of a role in the service you receive in the dining room than some people suggest. Most waiters that we have encountered take a great deal of pride in the quality of service they offer. I am sure that there are also some to whose quality of service may be related to the tips that they hope to receive, while there are a few who are only going to do the minimum to keep their jobs. That is just how it works not only on cruises but elsewhere in the working world. Auto tipping, or tipping at the end of the cruise are just much more convenient and efficient ways of handling tipping onboard ships, whether you have the same or different waiters throughout your cruise.

If you receive really bad service in the dining room, you should speak to your headwaiter or the Maitre'd as soon as possible so that the situation can be addressed. Waiting until the end of the cruise or adjusting your tip downward to reflect your dissatisfaction is not the best way to handle the situation.:)

you hit the nail on the head. Speak up at the time or not at all. We did get bad service on our last cruise the second night. Our wait person was very busy plus did not act as though her job was much fun. Did we complain, NO as it was not all that horrible, would we have considered adjusting the tips? No way. I did wait until next to the last day to complain about our cabin steward and was told by the housekeeping manager, he wished I would have said something sooner..The reason we didn't, our complaints were pretty minor but became major after something seemed to happen on a daily basis. Again, we certainly didn't adjust anything, we just didn't leave him or them the extra we normally do.

Nita

you hit the nail on the head. Speak up at the time or not at all. We did get bad service on our last cruise the second night. Our wait person was very busy plus did not act as though her job was much fun. Did we complain, NO as it was not all that horrible, would we have considered adjusting the tips? No way. I did wait until next to the last day to complain about our cabin steward and was told by the housekeeping manager, he wished I would have said something sooner..The reason we didn't, our complaints were pretty minor but became major after something seemed to happen on a daily basis. Again, we certainly didn't adjust anything, we just didn't leave him or them the extra we normally do.

Nita

I also think that if all you do to register your dissatisfaction with the service you received is to lower or eliminate your tip, your action is likely to be misinterpreted. A really poor steward or waiter is more likely to view your action as a sign that you are just a cheap person and won't be motivated to improve his or her service as a result of your action.:rolleyes:

Due to autotip and the Freestyle concept, one thing I never got was why don't you just tip at the end of each meal, why do you have to wait until the end of the cruise? :confused:

Every line does autotip these days, yet people still tip extra at the end, so that's not an excuse. I just don't get why some people make such a big fuss about this.

There is some failed logic in your idea.

* Why wait until the end of a meal at all? How would the waiter know if you were going to tip anything, since you are not required, and maybe you are non-tipping person. (not you, just an example)

* You assume that people do extra tip at the end. Some do, some might and I am guessing many do not.

We usually tip well. BUT - tipping is rather anti-logical in most settings. The server has no idea if you are a fair tipper, good tipper, great tipper, or non-tipper until AFTER they have finished serving you.

If it is a place that you frequent, they will learn.

Want to know the worst part of tipping that most servers do not get? Just about the same time I am going to decide if it will be a normal or better than normal tip, they seem to disappear. I am done eating and want to leave and have to sit there and wait for a check. Probably one of biggest pet peeves in dining out.

Want to know the worst part of tipping that most servers do not get? Just about the same time I am going to decide if it will be a normal or better than normal tip, they seem to disappear. I am done eating and want to leave and have to sit there and wait for a check. Probably one of biggest pet peeves in dining out.

LOL.GC I thought we were the only ones like that. That is our pet peeve too. LOL

While I do want to say I know there are severs out there on NCL ships that suck, I have to also say we have been lucky and never had one. We have had one or two that maybe were not very friendly, chatting us up, etc, but they certainly didn't ruin our meals and they brought us every thing we asked for in a timely fashion. Some are just better than others. As Crusin said, we also tip a little extra right then and there to those that give great service. I do not expect nor do I want a server that makes me feel like they are kissing my a**, but I do want my tea or soda always filled, or at least not where I go to get a drink and there is nothing in the glass, I want them to be available if I need something or have a question, etc. We have found that normally the service we get on NCL is like that....very good level of service

LOL.GC I thought we were the only ones like that. That is our pet peeve too. LOL ...

The real ironic part is the longer they make me sit and stew, the lower the tip. When the rest of my party gets up and leaves, it should be a big RED FLAG that we might not be happy. Get moving!

By the way, this is no an NCL issue... just tipping in general.

I also think that if all you do to register your dissatisfaction with the service you received is to lower or eliminate your tip, your action is likely to be misinterpreted. A really poor steward or waiter is more likely to view your action as a sign that you are just a cheap person and won't be motivated to improve his or her service as a result of your action.:rolleyes:
I agree, that is why I finally spoke to the housekeeping manager, which, I have never done before. I hated to do it as I felt the stewards were really over-worked, but I felt I had to tell someone. Other than that our service was great and the gal in the spa was outstanding. I feel in love with her (no, not seriously) but would have taken her home with me if I could have.

Nita

Several years ago while discussing tipping at restaurants, it was suggested by one of our group to put a pile of cash on the table at the beginning and point out that this is the possible tip. Then, every time something wrong is done or inattetion is shown, remove some of the cash (and hopefully let the server know "why").

I'm not sure they were serious, but it is a thought. Actually, to me, it sounds more like a power trip than service recognition. But some people .....

• 5 months later...

I think people make way too big of a deal about this tipping issue. If I were queen, there wouldn't be a need to tip: servers and others who do the work we don't want/like to do would be adequately compensated, whether they be "American" or "foreign" or whatever.

I've cruised both under the earlier "spend your last day of your cruise running around trying to find everyone you need to tip" and "service charge due at the end of the cruise" and much prefer the latter.

And I've not seen any difference in the quality of service under either program. Sure, there is occasionally a bad waiter, or a new waiter who makes mistakes. Or a room steward who doesn't fill a request in a timely manner. But generally all I've ever seen are hard-working sorely underpaid folks trying their best to make people happy.

We pay the service charge happily. And tip extra for extra service. And make sure we thank people who serve us, whatever their capacity, and are pleasant and non-demanding whenever possible. And generally are treated well in return.

Actually, OP raises a VERY good point... when saying that the staff are accused of "not trying" because of auto-tips.... BUT......

.....how would the staff know you might not give them MORE.....for trying REALLY hard?

So, the auto-tip doesn't change ANYTHING.. (without the auto-tip program, you could substitute 'a tip' where the word MORE is capitalized above and you had a description of the traditional system).

There's another way to tip, and a reason why the wait staff have reason to be motivated. The comment card. These cards mean promotions and raises.. and are far more valuable than tips. I ALWAYS fill them out when I get very good service (which is quite often). I think the service on board the NCL line is consistantly excellent.

Several years ago while discussing tipping at restaurants, it was suggested by one of our group to put a pile of cash on the table at the beginning and point out that this is the possible tip. Then, every time something wrong is done or inattetion is shown, remove some of the cash (and hopefully let the server know "why").

I'm not sure they were serious, but it is a thought. Actually, to me, it sounds more like a power trip than service recognition. But some people .....

I can think of few things more insulting and demeaning than this.

Whoever suggested this deserves lousy service, in my opinion. The dining room staff aren't your servants. They are people doing their job--just like the rest of us do ours--and, in our experience, they do it well an extraordinarily high percentage of the time. They should not be treated like chattel.

Due to autotip and the Freestyle concept, one thing I never got was why don't you just tip at the end of each meal, why do you have to wait until the end of the cruise?
My immediate answer to this is because the ships are set up so that you are supposed to be able to do everything (or almost everything) without carrying any money on board. Cashless cruising is a great liberator, and I would hate it if I had to start carrying money around the ship.
Want to know the worst part of tipping that most servers do not get? Just about the same time I am going to decide if it will be a normal or better than normal tip, they seem to disappear. I am done eating and want to leave and have to sit there and wait for a check.
A word about dining out in the UK and Europe, then: The bill or check will not appear until you ask for it. I've seen Americans get confused and irritated by this here, but it is simply the different way that we do it.

The difference is with regular land based restaurants you only really have to sit and stew at the end of your meal.

On any given NCL ship the service is so painfully slow you sit and stew between each and every course wondering if you are going to make it to the show even though you were in line for the dining room when it opened!

I agree about not waiting to complain about problems. I make it very clear to the Maitre-de when we have been sitting and sitting and sitting and about to miss the show. All the while a huge line has formed outside the restaurant of passengers waiting now to get a table to eat. They can't because the service is in grid-lock.

I love auto tipping but the whole food service process and incentive needs much work!

The difference is with regular land based restaurants you only really have to sit and stew at the end of your meal.

On any given NCL ship the service is so painfully slow you sit and stew between each and every course wondering if you are going to make it to the show even though you were in line for the dining room when it opened!

I agree about not waiting to complain about problems. I make it very clear to the Maitre-de when we have been sitting and sitting and sitting and about to miss the show. All the while a huge line has formed outside the restaurant of passengers waiting now to get a table to eat. They can't because the service is in grid-lock.

I love auto tipping but the whole food service process and incentive needs much work!

This has only very rarely been our experience. And every time we tell the server that we have to be out by a certain time the server has made it happen. Better to state your needs beforehand than to go on the internet after the fact and whine. Although it appears some people get great satisfaction from the latter.

Newbie has questions about this process.

So, at the end of the cruise, if there was some fabulous waiter that you want to tip, how would s/he know the extra tip was for him/her? Do you really have to track down the individuals that are worth it or does it go into a big tip pool?

Do you tip the bartender when you order drinks or are they part of the tip pool?

So, at the end of the cruise, if there was some fabulous waiter that you want to tip, how would s/he know the extra tip was for him/her? Do you really have to track down the individuals that are worth it or does it go into a big tip pool?

Do you tip the bartender when you order drinks or are they part of the tip pool?

If someone has gone above and beyond for you, tip them directly on the spot just as you would someone on land. It would be difficult to be sure you could find him or her at the end of the cruise. Assuming you don't make any changes to your DSC, they can keep the tip, i.e. it doesn't go into the tip pool. All of your bar purchases will have an automatic gratuity added onto the bill because they are NOT part of the big tip pool. So don't feel a need to tip beyond that, but again, if a bartender has gone above and beyond for you, tip them in cash right then and there.

On our last night on the ship we look for the people or person who we feel went above and beyond and thank them personally, let them know they made our trip a very memorable one and hand them a little something extra. Once in a while you'll find your favorite bar waiter on another ship and you will be treated like royalty because they know how much you appreciated them. On our "Fall Foliage" cruise we had the same bar waiter we had on our Panamal Canal cruise. He waited on us hand and foot and called my husband Mr. Frank the whole time. We didn't even have to tell him what kind of beer we wanted - he already knew - he remembered us from 2 years before!:)

On our last night on the ship we look for the people or person who we feel went above and beyond and thank them personally, let them know they made our trip a very memorable one and hand them a little something extra. Once in a while you'll find your favorite bar waiter on another ship and you will be treated like royalty because they know how much you appreciated them. On our "Fall Foliage" cruise we had the same bar waiter we had on our Panamal Canal cruise. He waited on us hand and foot and called my husband Mr. Frank the whole time. We didn't even have to tell him what kind of beer we wanted - he already knew - he remembered us from 2 years before!:)

how awesome is that?!?!? similar thing happend to me as well. in 2003 sailed on the Sea to Bermuda and always asked to sit at this particular server's table.

well...f-fwd to 2008...again to Bermuda on the Dawn...he is there...and remembered me!!!

The thing that bothers me the most about this particular idea is how incredibly insulting it is. What must you think of a person to believe that the only reason they would have to do their best at something was the possibility of a tip? Anyone who actually believes this is assuming that people who work as service personnel have no pride in their work - and by logical progression - themselves.

Do the people who make these assumptions about people they otherwise know NOTHING about work that way themselves? Do they slack off at every opportunity unless they are assured 'special compensation'? Perhaps they take extra long lunches and surf the internet on company time... or maybe they work harder for clients that they believe are more likely to be repeat customers (in industries without tips, this is the closest thing I could think of to an added incentive). More likely, based on their assumptions about 'lowly servers', they give better service to people they perceive to be of a 'better class'.

I have no intention of insulting anyone, though I'm sure I probably have. But... if you're so willing to make negative assumptions about someone else's motivation, why should it bother you to have someone make negative assumptions about yours? Is it because I know nothing about you? Hmmmmmm... I think that's a very valid point - and in fact, it's the one I'm trying to make. :)

I don't blame automatic tips for sub-par service. It is having different wait staff and dining companions every night. This is much more noticeable on longer cruises over 3 or 4 nights. The relationship you build with having the same servers every night equates to better service as they learn your preferences. The extra time you have to interact with your dining companions is another bonus. Maybe we have been lucky over the years, but the bonding with the same strangers who love cruising over multiple nights is special. We have been lucky enough to stay in touch with many of them. Sitting with different folks every night would not of had the same result.

Sometimes when service is slow, its not the fault of the waiters. It could be the fault of the kitchen staff, not cooking fast enough. Waiters can't deliver food to your table if the food isn't ready....

This is why I prefer the surcharge. Its not always the waiters fault....

Sometimes when service is slow, its not the fault of the waiters. It could be the fault of the kitchen staff, not cooking fast enough. Waiters can't deliver food to your table if the food isn't ready....

I have often wondered why the waiters get a tip in the 1st place. They are only carrying your food to the table ( not counting getting your drinks, and a few other things) shouldn't the cooks who are in the most important position concerning your food, be the one's that receive the tips? I mean they are COOKING your food. Yet we, in a way blame the waiters if it's cooked wrong. ( I'm speaking in general) Or at least they recieve the brunt of our dissatisfaction. (we americans just love to shoot the

messenger). I have worked many a part time job as a waiter and have been thru this many many times. I think that if the cooks recieved tips, LOTS of food would never be sent back. I don't really blame the restaurants for this, This practice was started many many decades ago. And I think it's alittle backazzwards. This is just one humble guys opinion.

Archived