4 in a cabin

debs2028

This is my first cruise on IOS July this year. There will be 4 of us in the cabin,myself,2 16 yr olds and a 6 yr old...so a question for you experianced cruisers, can you give me tips to save space etc etc, is there somewhere else the boys could shower(16yr olds) if we are in a hurry. Any help to make the experiance as pleasant as possible appreciated:)

I'm in an inside cabin(2 bunks) as on a budget...am I mad... will definitely use the suitcase tip. Would be handy if they could use the fitness centre occasionally for showers.

keep those tips coming I definitely need them

I guess it completely depends what catagory you are in. I stayed in a D1 (we booked OV guarantee and got lucky!) with 4 adults on the IOS in May. Space was at a premium but it really wasn't that bad. Having the balcony really helped for changing, etc. The room steward made up the sofa bed each night, and put it back to a sofa during the day, making a bit more space.

In the mornings most of us would go for a run or to the gym, then shower in the changing rooms, where the showers are larger! In fact I seldom showered in the cabin, so this never became a problem for us. As a previous poster mentioned, there may be age restrictions which prohibit the 16yr olds from doing this.

The only really tight spot was getting ready for dinner, when, as I said, the balcony was a really useful space.

So 4 in a cabin can be done without too much trouble. Have a great trip :)

When we cruise with our kids they are in our cabin so we have done four in a cabin many times.

I would suggest:

Try to cut down on the number of shoes you need by sticking with a color or two.

I always bring the over the door shoe holder when the four of us travel. Mine has 4 row across so we each have a line of pockets for our stuff so it is easy to find. We put our sail and sign cards in it, sunscreen, sunglasses, you could even put shoes in it but usually we have found enough space on the closet floor. It is especially handy for bathroom things...lotions, brushes, hair gel, etc.

I put our undies and small thing in ziploc bags. You can sit on it and get all the air out and they are easy to pack. I leave them in the bags and stick them in the drawers and it is easy to find...especially if you have a daughter who wears the same size.

For my son (17) he usually brings a suit and 2 pair of dress pants and several shirts for dinner. Again, we stick to pants he can wear his black dress shoes and belt with.

Bring a small bottle of Tide so you can rinse out bathing suits or bras so you don't have to pack as many.

I'm sure there are many other suggestions out there. Good luck! And yes....they should be able to shower in the spa.

My suggestion is to have the two 16-year olds get ready for dinner first and LEAVE the cabin. Then you and the 6-year old can get ready in peace.

The over the door thing is a great idea. Perhaps you can bring 2. They will help the kids stay organized.

I do not think you are "mad" - you will have an adventure for sure.

I hope the teens can shower in the spa - that will help. To me, getting ready will be the biggest challenge.

Enjoy your trip!

Debs

When we sailed on the majesty we also had an interior that says it has 119 feet. It was tight but we made do. Stored everything under the bed.

Bathroom can be snug if the 16 year olds are girls and they are bringing tons of products. I have all men so that stuff was limited. You will shower and dress in shifts for dinner but it's do-able. Family bonding!;) The Indy says is has 152 feet so I think you'll have a bit more floor room in between the beds.

The less you have to pack-meaning one bag per person might be a good guideline.

We didn't have to worry about suits and jackets and dress shoes. We opted not to do formal nights so we saved lots of packing space that way. But-you can make space for all those things as shanafan suggested.

Have a great time!

On a land vacation when 4 of us shared a room, I brought collapsible box type things. (you see them for napkins, etc. - they are usually covered with cloth).

Each person had one of those for their 'stuff' - that way it keep it neat and kept each persons together. You know when you're getting ready, you tend to sit things around on the dresser, desk etc.

Re: drying suits - there is a pull string in the shower to hang your suits on each night, we bring clip clothespins.

You could also bring over the door hooks/hangers to be able to hang things on, even temporarily while someone is using the bathroom. (these are different than the over the door shoe holders everyone refers to)

thanks everyone some great tips,one thing I was concerned about how do you get your swimsuits,underwear dry in an inside cabin is there space in the bathroom????

There is like a small washing line within the shower space...you know one of those ones you pull across from one side to the other...enough for couple of bathing suits to hang to dry.

On the 14 night cruises there will be a special laundry service usually offered...$20 wash and dry service. Your cabin steward will leave a bag in your cabin with the details of this probably around the 6 or 7th day. Great way to get the undies washed and dried quickly and saves you taking undies for 14 days.

When my son and I did 14 nights on NV we really cut down on shoes. 2 pairs of trainers for travelling to ship/for the daytime, 1 pair of dress shoes for night time. I also took a paid of old sandals just incase my feet needed to breath and I binned them when packing for coming home.

Using ziplocks bags (freezer bags) is great idea, we use them every cruise. :D

After you swim, rinse off at the pool (they have a shower out there), lie in the sun until you're dry! You don't need to "re-rinse" the suit...there is a "clothesline' in the bathroom--hang them there to finish drying, and bring 2 suits apiece so that you always have one ready.

Archived