Navigator Cruise Regent Line

Shortsleeve

Navigator from January 9th to January 19th - differences from other Regent cruise experiences. A clock was delivered several days into the cruise but you could not read the numbers at night without turning on the light. In the bathroom the toiletries set up was noticeably different; for one thing on previous cruises we were supplied a glass container with cotton balls and q-tips, the set up on this Navigator cruise had five q-tips placed on the plastic tray along with shampoo, conditioner, etc. Midway through the cruise we were supplied two partially used moisturizer lotion bottles in the bathroom after a cleaning service, one of the used moisturizer bottles may have been substituted for the hair conditioner that needed to be replaced. I did get the perception that some things were different. For instance, the large floral arrangements that we were use to seeing in public areas were no longer there. We did not have flowers in our cabin although I did talk to another passenger who had a stem of orchids in her cabin. To be continued...

Midway through the cruise we were supplied two partially used moisturizer lotion bottles in the bathroom after a cleaning service, one of the used moisturizer bottles may have been substituted for the hair conditioner that needed to be replaced. I did get the perception that some things were different. For instance, the large floral arrangements that we were use to seeing in public areas were no longer there. We did not have flowers in our cabin although I did talk to another passenger who had a stem of orchids in her cabin. To be continued...

Recycling of partially used toiletries?? Yuck!

Funny, very funny! I was just thinking, too bad they don't have Denny's in Canada!

Wendy, we have a local Denny's out here just east of you. Nothing wrong with Denny's food either, but I can hardly believe that someone is comparing it to Regent dining but then food is very subjective to people and their tastes so maybe to them it is. Yes, there does seem to be an awful lot of negative things said about the Navigator lately but until I experience them for myself I'll still book and go with an open mind. She is scheduled for dry dock come early 2010 but before that hopefully the teething problems associated with the changeover in management will cease. It varies with each cruise as to what we are hearing. I have a very good friend that did the crossing and she said she experienced no problems. Then another friend of mine did the next cruise right after the crossing and she had all kinds of problems. Both of these people are very experienced cruisers and laid back. Certainly not whiners so it's a real mystery why some Navigator cruises are experiencing problems and some are not.

Pat

Msmillie...a seasoned Regent cruisers...is adding some important observations [stated in a most reasonable manner]. Perhaps the

changes she notes are the subliminal basis for what several have being saying is was different but they just can't put their finger on it.

On our recent cruise many of the same observations could have been made..e.g. regarding the relative absence of flower, paucity of 'paper' & sypplies,no cotton balls,etc. None of these break the bank.....but when regulars/fans start noticing this plus this plus this plus this, it indeed gives pause.

Although I attended shows, even those who choose not to may have strong feelings about the general lack of dance music and other aspects of entertainment. "Pre recorded dance music" in the Horizon Lounge is not my idea of luxury; Regent offered this on several evenings.

This was our first cruise (last week, Navigator) since the line is not longer Carlson, and we were very aware of the little differences. Do you think because it's not a family-owned business any longer that's the problem? I can tell you from experience that if there was any missed ports due to weather or pod problems, you found a $500 credit p/p towards another cruise. This was our 10th Radisson/Regent cruise, and yes, I was shocked there was no pen or pad in the suite and the little things in the dining room also. The wine didn't seem to be poured as often as in the old days. However, I love Regent and yet do see a difference since "Big Brother" took over.

After his "Open Letter", I believed Mark Conroy had his finger on the pulse.

The recent feedback from fellow cruisers has made us question our decision

to spend what I consider a great deal of money with Regent.

Still, we are look forward to our cruise in March and will try not to sweat the little stuff.

I hope Mr. Conroy continues to read this board.

No cotton balls! Used moisturizer! Eek!

Carlson was pleased as punch to unload the cruise line; they really did not want to be in the cruise business, so theoretically, the move should be a good thing.

Sounds like there's something wrong in the housekeeping management on Navigator. Supplies aren't getting ordered, rooms aren't been provisioned properly. Or, there is a staffing problem. This can't be corporate-wide, since everything of that type was excellent on the PG just a month ago.

Luckily, if Navigator's in my future at all, it will be after the refit. But sure hope they get their housekeeping and other ship management issues solved.

We've been on the Navigator twice, totaling about 40 days, the last time in the fall of 2004. It doesn't have the public space or facilities of the Mariner and Voyager, but its suites are larger than Mariner's and the baths have both tubs and separate showers, as does the Voyager. Mariner’s baths have large, treacherous raised tubs with limited overheads in most suites, although a goodly number have now been converted to walk-in shower-only setups. Navigator’s dining choices are limited compared to the other Seven Seas ships, and in March we'll see how the food is, as we've booked a 12-night Caribbean cruise R/T Ft. Lauderdale. We feel all RSSC food as well as the associated dining service has slipped, except in the Signatures restaurants on the larger ships. Menu choices are more limited now, and to us the food seems less well prepared and served, at least on Mariner. Admittedly we don't like the nouvelle cuisine they feature, and haven’t yet had the opportunity to try one of the new steak houses. But clearly it’s not as bad as some nearby have intimated (Denny's!?!?, come on!)

We're looking forward to a nice cruise with an interesting group of people on a lovely ship. More after March 23rd, if there is something worth reporting, particularly good or notably bad.

Please let me know what you think and your experiences as we are on the Navigator in 2010 and I am a little worried also from what I have been reading. Thanks in advance!

Navigator from January 9th to January 19th - The pool bar gained an excellent new bartender, he was friendly and happy to be on Regent. The Sommelier seemed to manage wine service well in the Compass Rose, however, wine service was more irregular in Portofino. The sommelier presented two wine tastings which were appreciated by those in attendance. One tasting was scheduled after Costa Maya was canceled and we were at sea. So there was staff whose performance was excellent, however, there were others who seemed new to an "all inclusive" line.

This behavior was reinforced by passengers who openly tipped especially at the end of the cruise.

Sounds like there's something wrong in the housekeeping management on Navigator. Supplies aren't getting ordered, rooms aren't been provisioned properly. Or, there is a staffing problem. This can't be corporate-wide, since everything of that type was excellent on the PG just a month ago.

This is probably what could be happening. With the management and computer changes, it seems to be affecting several areas. They do need to get their act together. We are not concerned about our Navigator cruise in February. In fact, yesterday we booked a 2010 cruise on the Navigator.

It seems as though many small complaints (that add up) fall under the umbrella of the Hotel Director. Fabrizio, the long-time HD, left suddenly in August. He was planning to retire this year, but suddenly was gone. He has talked about retiring for several years, but always put it off. I had lunch and dinner with him on the Spring crossing and retirement was definitely not in his plans until the fall 2009 crossing.

He was known to rule the ship with an iron fist. I'm wondering if the current problems are related to his departure. Guiessepe was his protegy and would be expected to carry on with an equally tight grip, but having the job full time still carries a potentially bumpy transitional period.

This is probably what could be happening. With the management and computer changes, it seems to be affecting several areas. They do need to get their act together. We are not concerned about our Navigator cruise in February. In fact, yesterday we booked a 2010 cruise on the Navigator.

Huh?? What management or computer changes would have an effect on housekeeping staff not knowing cabins need to be provided with soap and shampoo?? What's next, toilet paper and kleenex to be rationed as well?

Huh?? What management or computer changes would have an effect on housekeeping staff not knowing cabins need to be provided with soap and shampoo?? What's next, toilet paper and kleenex to be rationed as well?

I assume that the housekeeping staff reports to a manager who may or may not have changed recently. If supplies are ordered via computer, the shipments may have been short or delayed due to the computer issues. Housekeeping cannot provide what they don't have.

While I don't claim to know the complex system that keeps Regent up and running, we do know that the onboard computer to check people in has been down several times lately. I also know that our documents, received less than an hour ago, are still not "proper tickets", but, rather, sheets of paper with the information.

Well, whatever is causing it is no way to run a so called 6 stars operation . Haven't they heard of phones and faxes?? This is not brain surgery! The excuses that this is due to so called management changes and the computer problems are getting really old.

I have never experienced anything like that in cruises on the so called non luxury ships like Princess or Royal Caribbean.

On our Dec 18-19, 2008 cruise on the Navigator, we had wonderful suite service. I found it better than Oct 2006 when we were last on the Navigator. We had two room stewardesses who made sure we always had a full box of q-tips, and full bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc. Our mini fridge was always stocked with our preferences, ice always in the ice bucket, and pen & paper was plentiful. In fact, one evening I asked my hostess out in the hallway to please put Corona in the fridge the next day and within 1 minute, she was back with a 6 pack. So I'd argue any problems are with individual staff not being properly trained.

I do agree the pens are terrible. The metal ones they give out write fine, but always get stuck. It was true 2 years ago too. I asked at Reception if they had any pens that would work, and they joked that it would not be a Regent pen. So they gave me a standard bic pen.

Wendy, We had significant problems on our cruise on Navigato [New Yrs 2007]...and didn't find Guiseppi helpful [personable & handsome yes..problem solving, no]...so add me to your list.

Travelcat...Are you thinking of the guitar player Jerri? He is now on Voyager....but Guiseppi sometimes went to Portofino's and sang...although he was HD at the time.

The person I was thinking of took greeted you and appeared to be manager at Portofino. We noticed that he was most unpleasant to several people.

Paula, did you do a review on your 2007 cruise? I'd like to read it (if not, could you give me an overview?). We had food issues on the Navigator in March, 2007, but enjoyed the ship and the staff very much.

It is very possible that things won't be completely fixed by our February cruise. . . . still, we look forward to revisiting this beautiful ship. Next year, however, we'll be on the Navigator after the 22 day dry dock and will have very high expectations.

Giuseppe goes back to Don Vito's on Diamond. I can't remember his position on the ship in 2004 when we were on her, maybe cruise director. He was very charming, but also very chummy with *his* frequent-cruiser friends, and ignored everybody else pretty much. And we found Don Vito's tasteless and way over the top even back then.

He was on Navigator in 2006, but he wasn't HD, not sure what his status was. Lots of people love him.

He started out as a bar person and worked his way up, up, up. I remember him and Monaliza from the Diamond where they used to sing. In fact, Monaliza was a waitress last week on the Navigator. Guiseppe (sp) was on vacation. He definitely is a cutie-patootie, and is expecting the second child.

My first Radisson cruise was on the Navigator...to Alaska in 2002. It was in a nut shell 6 star perfection. Since then it was the Voyager twice and the PG twice. I tried to book the Diamond but she was sold right from under me when I booked. Still need to get on the Mariner.

This November I embark on the Navigator for the fall transatlantic. I will be very curious to see what the experience is like and understand up front the ship has aged. Considering we will be a captive audience for 8 days with no ports of call, and a crew working without a break....the true test of service will observed. I expect to have a great time......just give me a glass of wine and a good steak and I will be a happy cruiser. If not my score card will be observed.

The intense comments that started the thread were the same I had when I sailed the Seabourn Sun......substandard in ever respect. So I find it sad that Navigator could have slipped.

Hardware is one thing, but the human factor boils down to ship management. That counts for continued training to observing daily operations. The Captain sets the tone for the ship...including the Hotel Director....but the Hotel Director is directly responsible for the attention to details. I saw the lack of attention on Oceania...and have not sailed them since. Perhaps the lack of WOW on Navigator...or lack of attention to detail stems from management change....

Its funny, when I boarded the Navigator in Sept 2002....I knocked on the open door of the Hotel Manager and introduced myself. If I remember correctly his name was Harry. After exchanging pleasantries I told him I was going to grade him on what I observed...and a point would be subtracted for every "significant" missing attention to detail. I told him the best to date was a score of 98 on the Deutchsland and I doubted he could match it. He asked who the Hotel manager was...I told him Renato Chizzola. He smiled an informed me he was Renato's mentor and was his predecessor on the Deutchsland. So Harry said the challenge was on. needless to say the Navigator got a 99. I wont say where the one point was lost preventing a perfect score of 100.

So this November I shall see if the Navigator stays in the 90's point wise. But I still believe the Captain sets the tone, the Hotel manager is responsible for the crew training, morale and attention to detail. Since I am easy to please...I expect to have a great time.....but will have fun with my score card just the same.

Navigator...I'll see you in Funchal. :D

Guisseppe as CD was personable and fun. As HD, not so much. He does socialize mostly with "favorites" now.

Still, with so many lapses, it seems like either somebody is not paying attention or the standards are slipping. Either way, it doesn't speak well for Regent. Staff used to say that Fabrizio had eyes in the back of his head. I'm sure that he wasn't easy to work for. I remember one time when I had a really bad stewardess. One complaint to the front desk and the head housekeeper was right on it. The quality of service improved immediately. I'm sad to hear such negative reports about my favorite ship!

I only remember Alex and Roberto in Portofino's. I can't imagine either one being rude or difficult. I've seen both trying to resolve unreasonable complaints and it was always handled with courtesy. I remember one time a woman was very angry because she insisted that they bring a vegetarian main course from Compass Rose to Portofino's and the waiter said he couldn't do it. Roberto tried to explain that they had a fixed menu, but did send down for what she wanted.

Portofino's food seems to vary more from cruise to cruise than the other restaurants. I've had great and mediocre. The only time I had poor service was when Guisseppe turned it into a steak menu and the cooks couldn't handle it. That night was a disaster. But there were abundant apologies from the waitstaff.

I guess that's a restaurant you either love or hate.

Archived