Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

Without reading back through the whole thread, I have outlook express on my big computer and have never used it. SHould I have it loaded into the acer? What would be the reason? Thanks!

It's already on your new computer - just look under the start menu. I don't use mine either, except for on a ship. It's just a real timesaver - you can download your emails quickly and go back offline. Then, take your time writing replies, creating new emails, inserting photos, etc. Log back in to quickly send them all at once. I can do an hour's worth of fooling around using only 3 or 4 minutes of the ship's internet time - and I can re-read whatever emails I like without connecting again.

Your techie can set it up if you don't know how.

Thanks, Donna. I already gave the computer to him and he's supposed to work on it tomorrow. I feel so tech challanged.

On my big computer, it's part of office word. Is that what's on there? I've never ever used it, but I should learn. ANy more time spent each day on the computer and I can put it down as my new occupation.

I don't think anyone on this thread has yet mentioned the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 at $299 or Mini 12 at $399. Does anyone have any experience with either of those? As a Dell fan of many years I'm seriously considering the 9" one.

Is that all it is now? I think they were more before? I love Dell and that's actually all I have in our house (3 of them!!). If the Mini 9 is $299, I think that's worth taking a look at. Dell has always been extremely reliable for me ... never once a problem with any Dell I've ever had.

Carol, we'll make a techie out of you yet!!!:)

I don't think anyone on this thread has yet mentioned the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 at $299 or Mini 12 at $399. Does anyone have any experience with either of those? As a Dell fan of many years I'm seriously considering the 9" one.

Dell is also coming out with a Mini 10". Not sure of the price. Sorry, haven't tried out any of the Dell's yet.

Is that all it is now? I think they were more before? I love Dell and that's actually all I have in our house (3 of them!!). If the Mini 9 is $299, I think that's worth taking a look at. Dell has always been extremely reliable for me ... never once a problem with any Dell I've ever had.

Carol, we'll make a techie out of you yet!!!:)

That's the base price in the Feb 2009 flyer that I got this week. Of course you can boost the price with add-ons: for starters, $30 for any color besides black, $50 for an "art design" lid, etc, etc

Now that we have netbooks covered pretty well, I'd like to ask a semi-related question. When you go on longer cruises, say over two weeks on up, do you take along a printer, maybe one of the portable 4x6 photo printers? If so, how have they worked out for you?

Got my Acer at Costco yesterday for $299.00 (3 cell battery). It may be going back because cannot access the internet wireless, only when it is plugged into the house computer line. Called Tech support (phoned) and still couldn't get it to work. Wondering if it is defective. My son in law may be able to make it work but Tech support thought it may be defective. Anyone else have this problem? I love the little one, so hope we can keep it.

San Diego Sue

Now that we have netbooks covered pretty well, I'd like to ask a semi-related question. When you go on longer cruises, say over two weeks on up, do you take along a printer, maybe one of the portable 4x6 photo printers? If so, how have they worked out for you?
I don't bring a printer, but I bring a bunch of blank CDs that I use to give pictures to friends on the cruise.

Got my Acer at Costco yesterday for $299.00 (3 cell battery). It may be going back because cannot access the internet wireless, only when it is plugged into the house computer line. Called Tech support (phoned) and still couldn't get it to work. Wondering if it is defective. My son in law may be able to make it work but Tech support thought it may be defective. Anyone else have this problem? I love the little one, so hope we can keep it.

San Diego Sue

You do have your own wireless network, in your home, right? If not - your Acer has nothing to connect to.

Got my Acer at Costco yesterday for $299.00 (3 cell battery). It may be going back because cannot access the internet wireless, only when it is plugged into the house computer line.
Your Tech Supp probably thought of this too, but just in case: are you sure your wireless router's security (WEP encryption) key was entered correctly in the Acer?

San Diego Sue

Two quick questions, which may already have been asked. Most wireless laptops have either a switch or a keyboard combination to turn off wireless (extends battery life). Have you insured that wireless is on? Second - if it is on, do you see the wireless connections when you click on the icon or not?

Rich

Two quick questions, which may already have been asked. Most wireless laptops have either a switch or a keyboard combination to turn off wireless (extends battery life). Have you insured that wireless is on? Second - if it is on, do you see the wireless connections when you click on the icon or not?

Rich

Whenever I turn the computer on, it tells me if the wirless connection is good or low. Even when posting from the room where it says it's low, it works OK. But, of course, the one little thing I do know (as opposed to all I don't)is that when you start up, it tells you the wireless connections in your area and you have to pick the right one.

I don't have to pick one. All our computers automatically connect to wireless. I don't have to click or select or do anything but turn on the computer.

I think it a great question to check to be sure wireless button on the computer is in on position. I made that mistake once and it was a few hours until I figured out the problem. :o

I don't have to pick one. All our computers automatically connect to wireless. I don't have to click or select or do anything but turn on the computer.

I think it a great question to check to be sure wireless button on the computer is in on position. I made that mistake once and it was a few hours until I figured out the problem. :o

Once the computer has been set up the first time it should continue to connect automatically, unless you didn't click the "remember" button. Also, if there is an unsecured connection in the area, that will automatically connect if you have not set up a secured connection previously

Rich

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. Once I set up the computer, the wireless comes on automatically but when it turns on, it tells me me if the signal is good or low. When I set it up the first time, it identified the wireless connections in our area and one ws ours in our home on the other computers, and two were not.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. Once I set up the computer, the wireless comes on automatically but when it turns on, it tells me me if the signal is good or low. When I set it up the first time, it identified the wireless connections in our area and one ws ours in our home on the other computers, and two were not.

The questions and comments were directed at SanDeigoSue, who can't connect. When you responded to my post, I didn't notice it was you instead of her.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Still doesn't work. Called Tech support, on phone for an hour, still no go.

For the person who thought I didn't have internet to connect to (wouldn't I be a dumb dumb). I have computer as well as laptop, all working well.

Tech support suggested we go down to Starbucks and try it there. maybe something with our home computer that isn't allowing it. Don't think that is the problem , when plugged into internet it works fine, just wireless not doing it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am so envious. We leave next week on cruise and was looking forward to bringing it with us.

San Diego sue

Thanks Rich,

Still doesn't work. Called Tech support, on phone for an hour, still no go.

For the person who thought I didn't have internet to connect to (wouldn't I be a dumb dumb). I have computer as well as laptop, all working well.

Tech support suggested we go down to Starbucks and try it there. maybe something with our home computer that isn't allowing it. Don't think that is the problem , when plugged into internet it works fine, just wireless not doing it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am so envious. We leave next week on cruise and was looking forward to bringing it with us.

San Diego sue

If you can take it back to Costco tomorrow, they should be able to exchange it on the spot, assuming they have one, so you might still be able to take it with you!

Thanks Marle,

That is exactly what we are going to do. My husband was so discouraged, don't know if he wants to try it again.

Don't give up! I recently bought (and returned) 3 Breville electric kettles to Bed Bath and Beyond. The auto off feature didn't work on two of them and one we received had obviously been used. My husband thought I should give it up and buy one elsewhere, as BBB obviously had a bad batch. The last one worked just fine! Of course, I don't expect you should have to go through three laptops to get one!

When I set it up the first time, it identified the wireless connections in our area and one ws ours in our home on the other computers, and two were not.

Are you both running unsecured? Or did someone else set up the encryption key to match your routers?

Do we Canadians need a voltage converter or something before we can plug our netbooks in on board?
Not if you use the same 3-prong plug and 120v that the US uses. :)

To Marle7,

guess what? My husband went to Starbucks to see if internet works there. Well, he noticed when he went into tools, that it was at a setting that said, off line. No one had told him to check there, with all the tech support time on the phone. He got on line. when he came home, still couldn't connect to our internet, but all my neighbors came up and we got on through theirs. I guess it does work. My husband is on the phone with my son in law now who is walking through getting on our internet. Hopefully we can get it done tonight.

Next time, we hire someone.

San Diego Sue

... but all my neighbors came up and we got on through theirs.
And all your neighbors are running unsecured too? Wow! When I ride my bike around our town with my little pocket signal detector I only find about 1 in 30 unsecured!!

Archived