HEY TOM! - Paradise Beach

Cahira

Plan on making my second trip to Paradise beach in Nov. Was there last year and had a blast. Does anyone know the current cost of the taxi from the cruise terminal that NCL uses. This is the terminal that is downtown near the main shops.

Thanks

May already be posted above, but just returning...

Chairs now $3 and wristbands still $12. They are still seining the weeds on the left side. No gnats or beach bugs.

Food and service was great, place was not crowded (only CCL Ecstasy in port).

But you really need to take [I]full [/I]advantage of the toys, kayak, snorkle, etc - to get $12/$15 worth of value I think. For groups where only some want to just swim on mats, or do just one kayak, etc - it is expensive. A 'family' bracelet option would be nice, but I am sure many would abuse it. Darn tourists.

Lots of return taxis on hand as usual.

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]CORRECTION[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[quote name='dna1990']May already be posted above, but just returning...

Chairs now $3 and wristbands still $12. .[/quote]

Chairs were [B]still $2[/B].

It was the double decker bus in Progreso that has increased to $3. My apologies.

Umbrellas are about every 2-3 chairs, at least on the beach area. Just tell your host when you arrive you want lots of shade. You can also sit in a row back towards the treeline and have even more shade.

Yes, USD$ was accepted everywhere like always. That report of peso-only doesn't seem to apply to the typical cruise areas.

Well, you probably don't remember me, but I was there with 35 other ladies, then I was there with Papa Joe and a group, then I was there with my travel agent, and now I am coming back!!!! Hope your wife still has her shop down the beach! I won't be there until November of 2011, but am letting you know far ahead of time!!!

For anyone who has not been there, this is the best beach in Cozumel!!!!

Wow! a 15th month "heads-up"...I like it!:D I do remember you guys and hope to see you on your next trip...hasta la vista!:)

Yes, could someone please answer this. We also want to go to Paradise Beach but some of us want some really good snorkeling. I read somewhere you can pay extra to do this at PB. Is this true and how much is it?

I have seen this question a few times and still no answer. I read the area around PB is sandy bottom and not very good snorkeling. Is there any snorkel boats/tours at PB for an extra charge that can take you out on short reef trip?

Hey Tom!!!

My girls and I will be there a week from today (8/17)!!:D WOOOHOOOO!!!:D

We'll try to smuggle some milk off the ship for you. Plain or chocolate? A mix of both?

We'll ask for you when we get there. But, just in case, here's a picture of my girls and I.

Looking forward to meeting you after reading so many great things about you!!

Ashley :)

Family.jpg.46d43fc8e58696fef16e2daf0e25bc4d.jpg

Hey Tom!!!

My girls and I will be there a week from today (8/17)!!:D WOOOHOOOO!!!:D

We'll try to smuggle some milk off the ship for you. Plain or chocolate? A mix of both?

We'll ask for you when we get there. But, just in case, here's a picture of my girls and I.

Looking forward to meeting you after reading so many great things about you!!

Ashley :)

Hey girl...have a great time.

Just a heads up for anyone planning to go to Paradise Beach. We were just there a few weeks ago. There was something really nasty in that water. They had men trying to sift it out with sheets. We walked up the beachaways and also noticed an outfall pipe just running a yellow brown liquid out. On the beach itself was a lot of debris we really could not identify.

Our group was not too happy with that particularly after just being in the beautiful waters of grand Cayman.

After giving up on Paradise Beach, we walked over to Carlos and Charlies. They did a better job of cleaning the beach and sand but the water was still way below grade. Incidently, we had been to PB two or 3 times before and were happy. Not happy this time.

Just a heads up. Somebody needs to find out what that outfall line is all about. Very yicky.

IMG_5353.jpg

And stuff running into the water only a few hundred feet away. You can see the color.

What is this stuff and how long will it be there? Most reviews and post I have read tell how wonderful PB is but some do mention smelly, dirty water. Is this some natural seasonal thing like seaweed? Is that PB in the back ground of the pic?

What's wrong with the water?? I was looking at some pics on another thread of the water at Paradise Beach, and yuck !!! It was dark brown and nasty looking. I have read alot of good things about how beautiful and nice PB is, but I have also read some reveiws about dirty, dark, nasty and smelly water on the beach. What is this stuff and will it go away? Is it seasonal and natural, or man made pollution or sewage? Please comment. I'm going to be there in October.

What's wrong with the water?? I was looking at some pics on another thread of the water at Paradise Beach, and yuck !!! It was dark brown and nasty looking. I have read alot of good things about how beautiful and nice PB is, but I have also read some reveiws about dirty, dark, nasty and smelly water on the beach. What is this stuff and will it go away? Is it seasonal and natural, or man made pollution or sewage? Please comment. I'm going to be there in October.

That is not normal. The water has never been nasty when I have been to Paradise Beach.

By the way, however the water is at Paradise Beach is how the water will be at all the beaches. Paradise Beach is just a section of one long beach.

Hey Tom we will be at Paradise Beach Sept. 7.... We are so excited!!! This is our first time to visit the beach... I've got two questions, 1. How much is the jet ski rental and how long is the rental time? 2. My 9 month old grandbaby will be with us, has anyone ever brought a blow up pool to put in the shade, so baby is not in the sun the whole time while at the beach? This is the first time we have ever traveled with a baby... Can't wait to see your beautiful beach.................... Your response will be greatly appreciated..:)

• Administrators

Hello Everyone:

I have been asked by the nice folks over at Paradise Beach to post the information below. Please note that doing so does not constitute an opinion by Cruise Critic on the information posted. Cruise Critic is often asked to post information from cruise lines or cruise-related businesses, and we will do so for the benefit of our members. The information below as been posted in its entirety.

Laura

Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank Community Manager Laura S. and cruise Critic for allowing me to respond to the comments and pics posted by in the last few days.

The short answer is that it's the work of Mother Nature. It's just rainwater that overflows from the property next door. Of course the water sits there for a long while before it accumulates enough to overflow, and by that time it has aquired a tea-like tint from all the dead leaves and plant life that's been marinating in it for a long time. June and July was unusually rainy with almost 50 inches of precipitation in those 2 months.

June- http://www.wunderground.com/history/station/76649/2010/6/12/MonthlyHistory.html

July- http://www.wunderground.com/history/station/76649/2010/7/12/MonthlyHistory.html

All this rain filled up the mangroves until they overflowed into the ocean. Cozumel is full of mangroves and underground rivers. When it rains, freshwater gets flushed out to the sea. Simple explanation.

As for the outfall (outflow?) pipe. There is no outflow pipe. I checked yesterday and again today but didn't find anything. And why would I? It's an empty lot, no business or house sits there, so outflow from...what exactly? It's just a mangrove. And if you think that it could be us pumping nasty stuff into the water, well, what could we possibly have to gain from doing that to our clients and ourselves? My family and I swim in that water too most Sundays! As well, if there really was a pipe, don't you think the OP would have posted a pic of it?

A lot of people tend to think that Mexico is like the Wild West; no laws, do what you want kind of attitude. Well that's certainly not the case in Cozumel. We have several regulatory agencies that make the rounds checking up on the beach clubs. There's SEMARNAT (The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources) http://www.semarnat.gob.mx/English/Pages/home.aspx, PROFEPA (The Federal Attorney for Environmental Protection) and our local Marine Park; http://www.aquasafari.com/marinepk.html

In addition, there's also another agency that tests the waters all around Cozumel looking for contamination. Here's a link to an article who's headline reads: COZUMEL'S BEACHES FREE OF CONAMINATION....

http://www.sipse.com/noticias/53546-tiene-cozumel-playas-libres-contaminacion.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

As if that wasn't enough, all beach clubs must have their own water treatment system. We have a huge one on our property across the street, tours available on request!

As for the "stuff" on the sand and what our crew was straining out of the water. Well, that's called seaweed. The ocean is full of it! The high winds from the June/July storms blew it onto the shore where we cleaned it off our beach, and tried to clean it from our waters before it hit the beach.

The pics taken look of the seaweed was on the neighbour's property. You can see that our beach is clear of seaweed in his pic of our crew clearing it from the water. Of course, now that it hasn't rained much for weeks, the mangrove is pretty well dried up and no more water is overflowing into the ocean. There is no more seaweed floating in the ocean either.

Anyway, there it is. A simple explanation. No sinister goings on, I promise! BTW, all beach clubs have Managers on duty who would be more than happy to answer your questions, be it about the food, beach toys, "stuff" on the beach or the surrounding nature. Don't be shy, if you're really curious/concerned about something, just ask us. We can put your mind to ease right away!

Hasta la vista, Amigos!

Tom

mangrove1.jpg

mangrove2.jpg

mangrove3.jpg

beach.jpg

Awesome job answering Tom! It is just nature! Can't wait to see you again on Friday September 3! That will be our last stop on the Valor cruise! I can't think of a better way to unwind from our cruise! Make sure you have a pineapple drink waiting for me! :)! Remember, no telling stories that you might have heard from Pepe when he took us on the bar hop! This trip is the respectable one with husband and kids :)!

Terry

Archived