Grocery store close to the Dock in Ketchikan?

cattolica

It never fails no matter how well I plan I always forget to pack something. I am just curious is there a grocery store within walking distance from the ships docking area? Since Ketchikan is our first port I figure it is best to plan ahead.

Thanks in advance.

It never fails no matter how well I plan I always forget to pack something. I am just curious is there a grocery store within walking distance from the ships docking area? Since Ketchikan is our first port I figure it is best to plan ahead.

Thanks in advance.

You'll have no problems with food, diamonds, soda and anything else as they dock beside the town and you'll be 3 min walk to the ship ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh did I mention diamonds and gold and dimaonds as well ololololol- :)

I'm not a Ketchikan expert, but I've been there a few times, and do not recall any grocery / drug stores in the immediate cruise ship vicinity. There is a Walmart & grocery stores in town, but they are up the coast, a few miles from where ships dock. IIRC, you can get a bus to the Walmart.

There is a drug store on the water front in Ketchikan but be ready for sticker shock. I had to pick something up for my father on our last cruise that would have cost me $4.00 at home and ended up spending $6.00.

There's is also a market in Skagway about 2 blocks off the main road. But be prepared there also.

I have always heard it is more expense in Alaska, and I found out first hand. I do realize that it is transportation cost that you are paying for. I figured it was just part of the cruise.:)

All you do is walk towards the federal building and keep going right over the bridge past Creek Street then past the Salvation Army place. Cross the street at the cross walk and then your there. Can't be more than 5 minutes unless you stop to look at something or talk to somebody.

All you do is walk towards the federal building and keep going right over the bridge past Creek Street then past the Salvation Army place. Cross the street at the cross walk and then your there. Can't be more than 5 minutes unless you stop to look at something or talk to somebody.

Hey, you're talking about distracted cruise ship visitors. :) :) :) Also who have to stray off the paths sometimes and read maps. :) It probably will take more time??

There are also vans that run to the Safeway store or Walmart. They are mainly used by crew, but anyone can ride them. They are free, but I always tip the driver a few bucks.

There is also the Blue line bus city bus which stops at Walmart. Pick up across from the Eagle Totem, just outside the tunnel at the dock. $1. Can usually get the van easier for the return trip and yes, definately tip.

damn bearbait, you're a walkin' crazy if you can get there in 5 minutes. .

man, re-reading this it sounds rude/insulting. and though i'm both of those it wasn't meant toward you. in slang, a "walkin' crazy" is a speed walker and is a compliment. on a good day, i can do five miles in right around an hour. not so fast in red rubbers and raingear.

Oh, I am a walking fool. I admit that. I can get 5 mph when my left knee isn't bothering me. I just enjoy it and it's an awesome stress reliever. During the summer I like to walk down to the cruise ship dock and just visit. If someone asks me for directions I usually just say "follow me". I find it's just much easier that way cause I don't remember street names too well. Like how many times does Tongass Ave. change names and it's all the same street.

bearbait........I am sure I will have a lovely walk to the IGA.........or.........lets hope I remember to pack everything I need. But, if I need directions I will be sure to keep an eye out for a very nice local to help me find my way. :-)

Oh, I am a walking fool. I admit that. I can get 5 mph when my left knee isn't bothering me. I just enjoy it and it's an awesome stress reliever. During the summer I like to walk down to the cruise ship dock and just visit. If someone asks me for directions I usually just say "follow me". I find it's just much easier that way cause I don't remember street names too well. Like how many times does Tongass Ave. change names and it's all the same street.

When I was there, Tongass seemed to be a combination of touristy stuff and a general-store type for the locals. They have a section of the store for the "boring" stuff, so to speak. I would think you could find most basics there. Actually, many of the best deals for touristy stuff we found there, too.

Tongass Trading on the dock does have a fairly good selection of hardware like hammers, saws, faucets and custom mixed paint. They also carry oil burning stoves and heaters for your boat. Upstairs they sell all types of sporting goods including firearms, ammunition, and XtraTuff boots in case you left yours at home.

To the locals, does the Tongass Trading Co. have soda and the essentials that you might have forgotten? If so, it is right at the dock and has outdoor wear and souvenirs and everything else you could want.

http://www.tongasstrading.com/default.aspx

Yes they do.

Well then, I guess you'd have to define essentials? But I suppose during tourist season I did see them fill up half a shelf with bare essentials.

They had a shelf of soda and a rack of snacks. I'm being basic, as you state, no where near as stocked as a grocery store. :) It is certainly a very convenient location to make due with their limited stock perhaps?

I may be wrong but I thought I saw a courtesy bus for Walmart the last time we were in Ketchikan.

eileen

Yes Walmart does run a shuttle van from the dock. But it can be full with the ship crew. Walmart is also easily accessed via the city blue bus. Was $1.

The best thing about Tongass Trading is that is has Pepsi products. Princess is all Coke, all the way. I don't like Coke. I'm addicted to Mountain Dew, so there's no Coke substitute even. So after a couple days on the ship, that's my first stop!

Archived