electricity on the Jade

LAURAMC

We were on Jade. The cabin has both 110V and 220V outlets. One each. So it's a good idea to bring a power strip and an extension cord.

Really? :eek: We were in AC on Jade just two weeks ago and I didn't see 220V outlet in the cabin. I must confess that I didn't even try to find such as there were at least 3 free 110V outlets in the suite and I was prepared to american outlets with two plug-converters and one european-style extension cord.

• 1 year later...

We were on the Jade last winter; the electrical outlets were American outlets. I did not see any European outlets; I wasn't looking for any, but it's hard to believe I wouldn't have spotted them. (And don't forget, this ship was built as the Pride of Hawaii, to cruise in American waters.) I called NCL before our cruise and was told the ship had American outlets/voltage.

At any rate, my advice for folks with non-American plugs would be to be on the safe side and be sure you have adapters so you can plug in your electronics. And if you don't have dual voltage electronics, have whatever converter you may need ....

For those with American plugs, don't forget that you'll need appropriate adapters for any hotel rooms you may be staying in during your trip (and converters if you don't have dual voltage appliances).

On the Pride of America, the US plug uses the 2 prong blade type - it's advisable to bring along a power strip for multiple devices that we tend to bring along (for us: laptop/netbook, digital camera, DVDcamcorder, and charger for mobile phone)

I believe the European plug is normally used for the hair dryer/TV set in the cabin, it's kind of hidden & take a little effort to loosen it - and it's 240 volt so be careful or else you will ruin your own electronics.

Sometimes, there's 110 volt power in the bathroom somewhere, but clearly marked for shaver only (translation - meaning it's really for low power device like phone charger) - but never try to use it. Not a good idea to connect anything in the "efficient" & wet bathroom.

Nowadays, many adapters are dual voltage 110-120/220-240 auto-sensing/switching so having the proper adapters/plugs on any "foreign" trips are always recommended - we just pack it in the luggage.

I'm leaving on the JADE this weekend, travelling from the UK so have UK plugs - so do we need US or EU plug adaptors...?

I'll be taking one of each just to make sure I've got one that'll do the job. At least they're small and easy to carry. Have a great trip.

Archived