duty free?

KnightsofColumbus

I have a question I keep reading that we have so much duty free stuff we can buy, and anything over we have to pay taxes on. So my question is how does anyone know what you buy? Is this just the honor system. If it is that is dumb because I would think a lot of people would just not report it. It seems dumb that they would tax you anyway. For example if I buy a $5000 watch and I'm wearing it when I get off the ship how would they know I bought duty free? If anybody knows how this works please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

In the wrist watch scenario you described, no one would know the difference. Unless of course you happen to give the Customs Officer a copy of your Sail and Sign bill, which they don't ask for.

Border officers are mainly concerned with contraband, not revenue. However, if they pull you out of line for a full search, and they find items that you should have claimed, you could get fined.

It seems like the easiest items to spot for them would be booze and cigs. The booze, because the cruise lines won't let you take it on, so you must have gotten it on the cruise.:rolleyes: And I think the cigarettes don't have the tax stamps on them like domestically bought packs do.

I have a question I keep reading that we have so much duty free stuff we can buy, and anything over we have to pay taxes on. So my question is how does anyone know what you buy? Is this just the honor system. If it is that is dumb because I would think a lot of people would just not report it. It seems dumb that they would tax you anyway. For example if I buy a $5000 watch and I'm wearing it when I get off the ship how would they know I bought duty free? If anybody knows how this works please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Let's put it like this. Do you pay your income tax? IT's really on the honor system too.

If you don't get caught nothing happens, if you do get caught the fines are huge. Are they going to care if you put down 3 T shirts instead of 4, no, but if they see a watch on your arm that looks new you can bet you are going to be asked about it and required to produce the recipients. If you want to risk it go ahead, but be prepared for the consequences if you are caught.

Just so you know the duty allowances are very liberal. The people that usually owe anthing extra are ones that have bought electronics or jewelery, and even then it is only a few dollars.

Let's put it like this. Do you pay your income tax? IT's really on the honor system too.

If you don't get caught nothing happens, if you do get caught the fines are huge. Are they going to care if you put down 3 T shirts instead of 4, no, but if they see a watch on your arm that looks new you can bet you are going to be asked about it and required to produce the recipients. If you want to risk it go ahead, but be prepared for the consequences if you are caught.

Just so you know the duty allowances are very liberal. The people that usually owe anthing extra are ones that have bought electronics or jewelery, and even then it is only a few dollars.

Just a tad paranoid there, how can anyone know if a watch is new? Otr if it was purchased in the states a day before the cruise. It ridiculous for them to expect people to produce receipts for any jewelery that appears new.

I have watches that are 5 years old and look brand new! Customs officers barely look at the forms, let alone examine what jewelry you are wearing.

Ah...But the ships do provide customs a list of passengers who have spent in the shops onboard more than their duty free allowance. those people are usually given a letter the last night to appear the next morning to have their customs forms checked...EM

They do give a talk and announce the limits. For one thing if you live in Texas you can bring one liter docking at Galveston. If you live in Oklahoma, you can bring two liters of booze. It varys by port and where you live, so if you want to know, just attend the talk onboard.

Also if you are leaving the US with a foreign-made item that might be questionable as to where it was purchased, there is a form you are to fill out before you leave.

CBP Form 4457

If you cannot register your items before you leave, at least bring the proof of prior possession to present to U.S. Customs to avoid paying duty.

Dave

Ah...But the ships do provide customs a list of passengers who have spent in the shops onboard more than their duty free allowance. those people are usually given a letter the last night to appear the next morning to have their customs forms checked...EM

When did they start that? I have bought more than my allowance several times and never got a letter.:confused:

Just to throw this out there...........

Several years back, my BFF & her DH went on a CCL cruise a few weeks after Christmas.

DH had given BFF a nice new sapphire and diamond ring for Christmas which she wore on the cruise, along with her regular jewelry. Never once giving it a thought.

Upon leaving the ship after the cruise one of the customs agents actually grabbed her hand and said "Where did you get this ring?!" She was shocked and caught of guard so she snapped at him "FOR CHRISTMAS!!" quite loudly and rudely.

She said after that the guy just smirked and walked off. She said that she thinks he did it like that to catch her (or anyone for that matter) off guard so that she wouldn't have time to make up a quick answer.

Personally I think that is incredibly rude and unprofessional, but my guess is that they've "caught" people like that so they use it to their advantage.

Yes, it's on the honor system. And when they find the box and receipt for the $5,000.00 watch you're going to have to pay the duty and a nice fine on top of it.

Are you going to be buying a $5,000.00 watch on your cruise? I doubt it. You'll get a better deal on www.ebay.com if you know what you're looking for.

Yes, it's on the honor system. And when they find the box and receipt for the $5,000.00 watch you're going to have to pay the duty and a nice fine on top of it.

Are you going to be buying a $5,000.00 watch on your cruise? I doubt it. You'll get a better deal on www.ebay.com if you know what you're looking for.

I don't intend to buy a $5000 watch, but it just seems like a dumb system that punishes people for being honest. I can't understand why they even worry about it. I can understand if it's bought on the ship and the ship keeps tabs on everyone, but if you buy something on an island they ought to let it slide since it's so easy to lie about it. For some reason our government like to make laws that punish law abiding citizens while the crooked get off free.

• 1 month later...

I got caught today trying to sneak jewelry into the country. I got into a line where the customs agent was pulling every few people from line and making them go to this room where they can, and often times do, search your bags. They got me and the fine was huge. Totally not worth trying to be sneaky.

They look for receipts. If they can't find receipts, they can't really prove you bought your stuff while on the cruise.

Just a tad paranoid there, how can anyone know if a watch is new? Otr if it was purchased in the states a day before the cruise. It ridiculous for them to expect people to produce receipts for any jewelery that appears new.

I have watches that are 5 years old and look brand new! Customs officers barely look at the forms, let alone examine what jewelry you are wearing.

I just got off a cruise in January and all I had on the customs form was like $200 for souvenirs. The officer looked at it, then asked me what kind of souvenirs I bought for $200. I started spouting off what we bought and he said OK and off we went.

Bill

It is not a question of whether they know if it is new or not, it is a question of whether you can prove that you owned it before the trip. The onus is not on customs to prove value or origination. The issue if you smuggle and get caught is proving that everything you have with you has not been smuggled.

The idea 'Duty Free 'is that you are exporting out of the country of origin items that are subject to local taxes. You don't pay any taxes for it. For example Mexico, you purchase is usually a high end purfume or liquor from a duty free shop. The retailer knows you are a tourist from a cruise ship and dont plan to stay in the country to consume the item. He sells you the duty free item and charges no taxes.

As in Cabo, you can walk out with the items and leave the store. In Tijuana where he does not know that you live in Mexico or USA. The merchant will sell you the items tax free but you don't get the items right away. There is a booth right on the border line where you show your receipt. The guy gives you your duty free items and your walk thru customs. There you declare what you purchase.

Each US citizen has a $800 per person exemption for any non commercial items. Of course Calif has a 1 liter or equivalent (1 quart of hard liquor or 3-4 beers )duty free that can enter the country. If you are over, they can fine you or you can volunteer to pour it out.

On the cruise back, each head of household of the family will be given a CBP Form 6059B. You just declare what you are bringing to USA from a foreign country. These are main areas:

-each person is allowed $800 in non commercial exemptions. If there are 4 persons in your party, you can add them to the total of $3200. That is alot of T shirts and trinkets for personal use.

- usually 1 liter of liquor per person 21 or over. Duty free...If you bring back more...you may have to pay duty on them.

-$10,000 USD in montetary instruments...i.e.-cash, travelers checks, coin, foreign money. Credit card limits do not count.

- if you have any more questions...you can contact CBP for questions or their websites.

Each US citizen has a $800 per person exemption for any non commercial items. Of course Calif has a 1 liter or equivalent (1 quart of hard liquor or 3-4 beers )duty free that can enter the country. If you are over, they can fine you or you can volunteer to pour it out.

Texas has a 1-liter duty free limit for residents. I was under the impression that if you brought back more than that (a reasonable amount, not cases) that you could pay a small duty on the rest to bring it in. Is that not the case? Or is California just so strict that they won't let you in with any more even if you volunteer to pay the duty?

You get one free duty free bottle per 30 days. Yes you can pay duty but it also depends how you arrived to good old USA. Public transportation vs private car and where are you going to (going straight to a different state and how much time is the inspector will spend with you.

If you are arriving via ship or plane, the inspector will probably let you go with a extra bottle or two...if you declare it..that is the key..

The paper work to fill out a tax levy for a couple of bucks is sometimes not worth it...Attitude is everything. Of course I seen many bottles of Tequila being poured out at the Port of Entry.

You get one free duty free bottle per 30 days. Yes you can pay duty but it also depends how you arrived to good old USA. Public transportation vs private car and where are you going to (going straight to a different state and how much time is the inspector will spend with you.

If you are arriving via ship or plane, the inspector will probably let you go with a extra bottle or two...if you declare it..that is the key..

The paper work to fill out a tax levy for a couple of bucks is sometimes not worth it...Attitude is everything. Of course I seen many bottles of Tequila being poured out at the Port of Entry.

I have taken up to 8 bottles off the ship without incurring a duty. The agents at the terminal really just want to get people off the ship and the paperwork involved in collecting the minimal duty just isnt worth their time.

You are allowed 5 bottles per person if you call on St Thomas

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Duty_Free_Allowance.aspx

Duty-Free Allowance: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board. 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands. 5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older). Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

Duty-Free Allowance: All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

Archived