LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

what are the chances of this problem being fixed by the 2/13/09 sailing?? now i am getting nervous.....:confused:

I just got off the Explorer of the Seas on 2/1/09, we missed the port of Labadee!! As we were sailing out of Samana we hit (very hard and loud) some corral reef!!! With such technology how they managed to do this we have NO idea!!! We stopped and sent down divers and they said it is broken beyond repair, so we only used 3 out of the 4 propellers! We went very slow home to NJ! We were only given 100$ OBC!! We were very disappointed! We were told by our waiter that the only way to fix the propeller is to dry dock the ship, which is scheduled for January 2010, so I can't imagine going that long with it broken. If I was u I would call to make sure they will swap out the ship or rescheule it when it is safe... I didn't feel safe,it was rocky and going VERY slow, what would happen if something else happens to the other propellers?? It is already operating on only 3 not 4?!?! Best of luck!!

What is well compensated to you may be not well compensated to another. What do you consider well compensated?

Suite guests received $200 per person

All of the other members in our 28 person party in various cabins recieved $100 per person. This is generous considering that your cruise contract states that RCCL may cancel any port for any reason.

I may also point out that we had already 3 ports completed and missing one didn't ruin our cruise although many others felt this way. Not everyone can be satisfied 100% all of the time and many can't go with the flow. I will repeat myself again........no dishes to do, no cleaning, someone waiting on me hand and foot....warm temperatures......and we all waited 16 months to do this cruise together.....we had a blast. This was a honeymoon cruise for special family in our group. It could have rained the entire time as it has for many and you don't get anything for that now do you. Two couples with us sailed Princess last year and couldn't get into their private beach island and were given 15 per cabin. yep cabin. some kind of port charge was the only obc given per cabin. These guys were thrilled that RCCL handled this as such. Yes we missed Labadee and yes we were there last December and loved it and couldn't wait for everyone to enjoy this day. We enjoyed the beach in Samana. So yes in our view we were well compensated and we made the best of it.

We only recieved 100$ not well compensated in my opinion!!!

Are you serious??!! $100 OBC for missing Labadee is more than adequate, considering they are not obligated to give you a thing for missing a port.

Since you basically missed a beach day in favor of a sea day, you really were not that inconvenienced-- day on the beach vs. day on the pool deck not much difference there.

This is their official policy from the contract we've all signed:

6. CANCELLATIION,, DEVIIATIION OR SUBSTIITUTIION BY CARRIIER:

Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

If they cancel one of my ports I will be disappointed, but would gladly welcome a $100 credit. That's a free spa day for me.:D

As long as I get on board and sail out of N.Y. I will be thrilled. 3 ports out of 4 or not cruise at all. I'll take one missed port.

Are you serious??!! $100 OBC for missing Labadee is more than adequate, considering they are not obligated to give you a thing for missing a port.

Since you basically missed a beach day in favor of a sea day, you really were not that inconvenienced-- day on the beach vs. day on the pool deck not much difference there.

You surely are not serious??!!

Beach vs overcrowded deck with a postage stamp size ice cold pool?

Get me to the beach...LOL

See? Everyone is different. I cruise for ports. I dont' even sit up on lido deck. I get the balcony I want and hang out there. I have not been in a ship pool since my kids were way little (4, 7 & 10, they are now 19, 22, & 25)

And the only reason I was in the pool was because back then carnival's slide opened up into the pool, not like today where it doesn't.

Yuck cruise ship pools are totally disgusting.

According to the Maritime reports that have been posted on another thread, they are not getting to St Thomas until the 6th (Friday) which is a day later than planned, but they are supposed to get there at 0500 and stay until 11pm.

They will probably have to miss at least one other port since it is taking them so long to get there. I am guessing they are waiting to see how things go before they make other announcements and plans. I hope the fix works well.

Wow!!! On the ship from Sunday till Friday before being able to get off!!!! All I can say is WOW!!! Hope they make the best of it. And hope they get this problem fixed soon!!

Patty

Oh im sad we are cruising 2/13, I pray this gets fixed. Is the ship safe? Thats what makes me more nervous than anything. I really wish we were sailing from a warmer place than NY im not upset about missing a port but being stuck in the cooler weather longer than i was anticipating. Plus the ship is packed solid so although im sure the ship is amazing it wont be much fun fighting for a chair by the pool everyday :(

Thanks for all the updates and enjoy the cruise

MY DW is on this cruise. I am still here. We have some good posts here about why it is could be difficult to repair the propeller, the Hudson river is too murky to repair the damage, along with the cold water. It makes sense what they are doing. I lived is south Florida for 23 years, so I have experienced what the water is like done there. Some posts don't want to spend a day at sea. Some don't care, they like them. I am part of the latter group, having done 5 TA cruises. To each his own. Thanks to the editor for providing the input. CC has been a valuable source of information since I first discovered it several years ago.

BTW, I am a Steelers fan. Steelers rule. 6 rings. Way to go.

I call it the Labadee curse-

I was on the 1/23/09 sailing. This was my third and last attempt to see Labadee on a RCCL ship. All three trips had Labadee cancelled for one reason or another. I can only conclude that this company cannot handle the situation in which they have placed themselves. I have no plans to cruise RCCL again until I see some data showing they have addressed the issue of missing this port over and over again.

I'm not sure how you will ever see Labadee other than on an RCI ship, only RCI brands stop at Labadee. There isn't a "situation." An Azipod was damaged, they have to go slower, somthing had to get cut out of the trip to make it back in time. I've made it to Labadee both times I've tried. My parents have made it there on their last 10 Caribbean cruises.

Wow!!! On the ship from Sunday till Friday before being able to get off!!!! All I can say is WOW!!! Hope they make the best of it. And hope they get this problem fixed soon!!

Patty

It looks like most reports now are Thursday for St Thomas not Friday, but Sunday to Thursday is still a long time on the ship without stopping.

Suite guests received $200 per person

All of the other members in our 28 person party in various cabins recieved $100 per person. This is generous considering that your cruise contract states that RCCL may cancel any port for any reason.

I may also point out that we had already 3 ports completed and missing one didn't ruin our cruise although many others felt this way. Not everyone can be satisfied 100% all of the time and many can't go with the flow. I will repeat myself again........no dishes to do, no cleaning, someone waiting on me hand and foot....warm temperatures......and we all waited 16 months to do this cruise together.....we had a blast. This was a honeymoon cruise for special family in our group. It could have rained the entire time as it has for many and you don't get anything for that now do you. Two couples with us sailed Princess last year and couldn't get into their private beach island and were given 15 per cabin. yep cabin. some kind of port charge was the only obc given per cabin. These guys were thrilled that RCCL handled this as such. Yes we missed Labadee and yes we were there last December and loved it and couldn't wait for everyone to enjoy this day. We enjoyed the beach in Samana. So yes in our view we were well compensated and we made the best of it.

This credit I feel is very fair, but it not what RCCL always does. RCCL took Tortola off of our cruise a while ago and credited us $11.40 port fees. We also lost time off of two other ports and we haven't even sailed yet. To me, this is just poor planning on RCCL's part and deserved a little more than $11.40.

When they miss their private islands because of weather that makes tendering impossible, they frequently don't provide any on board credit. I think there are many things that go into the equation.

All this info is valuable, anybody have any idea if the cruisers for the 13th should really be worried? Seems like many of us ae planning on being on the next cruise. Why hasn't there been any comments from RCL? Is it the obvious, bad press, you'd think they'd try to be a bit reassuring!

I was just reporting what Sailit shows-If you search Explorer of the Seas on their site,the position I quoted comes up-if you click the position,a map

showing the ship comes up-sure looks alot closer to Fl then OBX

The captain is Capt Gunnar Todal

Hello all. I've been reading these boards for quite some time but never felt the need to post anything until now.

Has it been pointed out that this is the same Captain that was on Navigator when the stabilizer was damaged over the summer? Sounds like someone isn't going to be "Employee of the Month" anytime soon.:eek:

OK...I am just skimming before breakfast...

On this trip suite guests get 100 PP and everyone else has 75PP which i think is fine.

the MAJOR issue is that the...CAPPUCCINO machine in the CL is broken..and will get fixed in..SAN JUAN! Duh we aren't going there...but they are supposed to get the repair man to STT....

i really think we are circling Jersey....it's STILL cloudy and bumpy and shaky. Haven't seen the "bags" yet.....:eek:

RC would not sail if the ship was not safe......we are taking shifts rowing.....but all the Polar Explorers are taking a break for our slot pull!

I will look at questions later on off line and see what i can answer..

All this info is valuable, anybody have any idea if the cruisers for the 13th should really be worried? Seems like many of us ae planning on being on the next cruise. Why hasn't there been any comments from RCL? Is it the obvious, bad press, you'd think they'd try to be a bit reassuring!

I don't believe the next cruise is in jeopardy. There haven't been comments because I'm sure they are confident the repair can and will be made in St. Thomas. Heck, they thought it could be done in Bayonne, so they must really think it possible in the waters of the Caribbean. BTW, for the record I work in heavy highway construction and have experience in underwater repairs (of bridges) using divers. I thought doing it in Bayonne was going to be very difficult (and it turned out it was), and I think they will have a much easier time of it in the warmer, clearer waters of the Caribbean. By Friday I think this issue will most likely be behind us.

If for some reason the repair is not successful, I think they would go forward with at least the next few cruises, but with a reduced number of stops. They aren't going to just cancel the very next cruise at this late notice. More likely they will look into the near future and find a cruise that will effect the least number of people for the least amount of time. Looking on the EOS schedule, I see the first 5-night Bermuda cruise is scheduled for May 9. I think that is a real possibility if they don't mind going slower until then.

Archived