LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

Do you mean suitcases? or did I miss a joke?:confused:

Pretty sure the original comment was regarding barf bags . . . . Guess the seas are a little rough.

To all sailing now or soon on the Explorer, I hope all gets fixed. Hey, you are on a cruise and I'm here at work without another one to look forward to :(. Enjoy, your on the water!

When we went on EOS for the Halloween Cruise in 2007 we ran into a hurricane and missed both Labadee and Casa de Campo. At no point did we or anybody else we knew or met complain that they were entitled to an OBC or refund of any sort. Technically the ship sailed after the end of the hurricane season, but they seem to have a mind of their own. They did wind up docking in St Maarten so we still got into 3 ports, but all everybody seemed to want to do is make it home safe. We hit it both ways and it was so bad coming back up north they thought we might not get back on Sunday, instead deferring until Tuesday. We were told not to wear high heels when walking around the ship and that we should hold onto railings and stuff.

I called RC Sunday night and my TA called yesterday afternoon also and we were assured our cruise (2/13) will definitely go on and so far no ports have been canceled.

They're not going to cancel any of our ports until they know whether or not the ship is fixed prior to our sailing. We're really not going to know anything until after Friday.

I hope all of you on the current sailing are having a wonderful time. We're looking forward to our turn in 10 days.

They're not going to cancel any of our ports until they know whether or not the ship is fixed prior to our sailing. We're really not going to know anything until after Friday.

I hope all of you on the current sailing are having a wonderful time. We're looking forward to our turn in 10 days.

They should fix it in St thomas. Unless there is shaft damage, there is no reason they can't replace the prop.

If there is shaft damage, then all bets are off.

When we went on EOS for the Halloween Cruise in 2007 we ran into a hurricane and missed both Labadee and Casa de Campo. At no point did we or anybody else we knew or met complain that they were entitled to an OBC or refund of any sort. Technically the ship sailed after the end of the hurricane season, but they seem to have a mind of their own. They did wind up docking in St Maarten so we still got into 3 ports, but all everybody seemed to want to do is make it home safe. We hit it both ways and it was so bad coming back up north they thought we might not get back on Sunday, instead deferring until Tuesday. We were told not to wear high heels when walking around the ship and that we should hold onto railings and stuff.

Actually hurricane season goes to the end of November. Sounds like you had quite an adventure on that cruise!

ok...i am just skimming before breakfast...

On this trip suite guests get 100 pp and everyone else has 75pp which i think is fine.

The major issue is that the...cappuccino machine in the cl is broken..and will get fixed in..san juan! Duh we aren't going there...but they are supposed to get the repair man to stt....

I really think we are circling jersey....it's still cloudy and bumpy and shaky. Haven't seen the "bags" yet.....:eek:

Rc would not sail if the ship was not safe......we are taking shifts rowing.....but all the polar explorers are taking a break for our slot pull!

I will look at questions later on off line and see what i can answer..

lol

meg thanks so much for the updates and taking time out of your vacation...

if you can, keep us posted, i am boarding on the 13th..... i hope you get to calmer seas and warmer weather shortly..... we are having flurries in NY so hopefully it is better where u guys are....

Hello all. I've been reading these boards for quite some time but never felt the need to post anything until now.

Has it been pointed out that this is the same Captain that was on Navigator when the stabilizer was damaged over the summer? Sounds like someone isn't going to be "Employee of the Month" anytime soon.:eek:

If that can be confirmed, I'd say he may be as risk of needing to find a non-cruise ship to run.

Hopefully the prop gets fixed in St Thomas. Wouldn't be much shaft to repair since its an azipod design, not the old traditional shaft thru the hull. Hopefully only the prop has damage and there is no damage to other areas in or outside the azipod.

I'll be happy even if the cap. machine is still broken. Wow, it really stinks not knowing what to expect. We had to book well over a year ago for a handicapped cabin for DD, I am sure there wont be any available anytime soon if this is cancelled. We had to cancel in 2007 b/c of DD's car accident (now a paraplegic) so this is the 'celebratory' cruise for us.

I hope that EACH of us gets on this ship soon. ;)

Lets all keep our fingers crossed!

If that can be confirmed, I'd say he may be as risk of needing to find a non-cruise ship to run.

Hopefully the prop gets fixed in St Thomas. Wouldn't be much shaft to repair since its an azipod design, not the old traditional shaft thru the hull. Hopefully only the prop has damage and there is no damage to other areas in or outside the azipod.

It's confirmed. It was the Captain that took over for Rick Sullivan when he was moved to Monarch. It happened in the Spring after the transatlantic and before Captain Bang came back in June. ;)

It's confirmed. It was the Captain that took over for Rick Sullivan when he was moved to Monarch. It happened in the Spring after the transatlantic and before Captain Bang came back in June. ;)

Gee, do you think we can put in a request for a new captain? :eek:

Hi-We are scheduled to cruise on Freedon-the end of March. My friend just came off of her on Sunday and said that they had hit "something" and were not able to go to Labadee in order to make it home on time...since they would be traveling at a much slower pace. I am seeing that they will really check the ship out in St Thomas and decide what's up....if the damages are that extensive-do you think we would be in jeopardy of sailing on March 27th:eek:? Just thinking ahead here.....Thanks, Susie

Hi-We are scheduled to cruise on Freedon-the end of March. My friend just came off of her on Sunday and said that they had hit "something" and were not able to go to Labadee in order to make it home on time...since they would be traveling at a much slower pace. I am seeing that they will really check the ship out in St Thomas and decide what's up....if the damages are that extensive-do you think we would be in jeopardy of sailing on March 27th:eek:? Just thinking ahead here.....Thanks, Susie

we are going to be in STT from3 AM until 11 PM...so they will have time!!! BTW you wrote freedom instead of Explorer....confused me, but i looked at your clock!

apparently the ship hit a reef....we are sailing slower...between 18 and 19 knots/hour but aside from the rough seas....it's OK....but the weather is horrible.

Hey Meg, so sorry about the issue, but it seems as if you are taking it all in stride. Nothing that a few cocktails and a lounge chair can't solve.:D

LOUNGE CHAIR???? TOo bloody cold and rainy!!! COuldn't even get out onto deck 13 to try and arrange a mini golf tourney for next week....sheesh!

Not sure where this Capt is from (Gunnar Tolar?? Sheesh....can't remember....) but (SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH.I want captain sverre ryan back!!!)

So we are going to try and fix the prop AND the capp machine....you can't believe how many people are freaking out over no cappuccino in the CL!!!:D:p

we are going to be in STT from3 AM until 11 PM...so they will have time!!! BTW you wrote freedom instead of Explorer....confused me, but i looked at your clock!

apparently the ship hit a reef....we are sailing slower...between 18 and 19 knots/hour but aside from the rough seas....it's OK....but the weather is horrible.

If anyone can get pictures, it would be appreciated. Would love to see just how much damage there was.

OK..here are some other answers…..

I have no idea about penny slots being hot, but the Polar Explorers won $432 on our slot pull…worked out to $13 bucks each so we only lost $8 per person….not bad!

Our M&M was very well attended……and the gift exchange was lots of fun…not quite sure how I wound up in charge, but oh well!

Our servers are doing fairly well…we have the same table for two we had in November! Woo hoo. Ship is very bumpy! (Actually the SEA is bumpy!)

I haven’t heard any complaints about missing SJ. Again, this is NOT the same as a port being cancelled due to weather….seems that it is the direct result of human error… not saying which human, but ships have sonar, radar, charts and pilots. Regardless of how it happened, I believe this is still not a good thing for any captain.

All this info is valuable, anybody have any idea if the cruisers for the 13th should really be worried? Seems like many of us ae planning on being on the next cruise. Why hasn't there been any comments from RCL? Is it the obvious, bad press, you'd think they'd try to be a bit reassuring!

They really won't know til they get a better look at the prop. I looked at other cruises as well for this time period just in case...

no news is good news, but keep your fingers crossed....

Do you mean suitcases? or did I miss a joke?:confused:

you are missing a joke....so think about it.....did you ever take a plane??? kknow what BAGS i mean now????

otherwise.....i am NOT TELLING!!! hahahahah:rolleyes::D (i have a warped sense of humor)!

OK I'm outta here...will try for pix...as for a new captain....again, if it was human error and happened on his watch.....regardless of who cause it, the captain is still responsible.....

that said..we don't have all the facts.....i try to find out what i can......but it's hard to get all the info!

anyway..................see y'all later...fight nice!:)

May not be his fault, just a coincidence?

I'm sure you're right. I was just kidding of course. Then again, the Yankees tumble last year proved that the year before wasn't Joe Torre's fault either! But you know what they say: If heads gotta roll, they always start at the top.

Or as I say in my business, I'm a very responsible person. Anything that goes wrong, I'm responsible! :eek:

Archived