Zaandam 2010 cruises cancelled

lazey1

I was notified by my T.A. today that both the March 2, 2010 and the March 27, 2010 10 day Sea of Cortez sailings have been canceled. No notice yet of what HAL is offering to replace. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Has anyone heard if the Circle Hawaii cruises are also being cancelled?

First I've heard of this. I know the Rotterdam had a lot of her 2010 itineraries changed as well. Is it just those sailings, or are they re-tooling her whole pre-Alaska schedule?

This is normally the time when I start looking at sailings for the next year, but so far this year I've looked at four separate itineraries on three different cruise lines, all of which have been cancelled just as I was mulling them over!

I think there will be a lot of 2010 redeployment for a lot of cruise lines - not just HAL - as they try to place their ships where it makes the most financial sense.

I was notified by my T.A. today that both the March 2, 2010 and the March 27, 2010 10 day Sea of Cortez sailings have been canceled. No notice yet of what HAL is offering to replace. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Has anyone heard if the Circle Hawaii cruises are also being cancelled?

This isn't because of the Winter Olympics thing is it?

Was mentioned here some cruise ships wil be used to house people???

The Rotterdam is picking up the Zaandam's 33 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific in 2010, and it could be picking up others as well.

My guess would be that perhaps the Zaandam is going to be based in Vancouver for the Winter Olympics? I think a couple of HAL ships may be used for housing during those events.

There are also several drydocks scheduled over the next 18 months ... part of the new Signature of Excellence improvements ... so I would imagine a lot of ships' schedules are being changed around.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Interesting - we are booked on the Feb 5, 2010 sailing on the Zaandam Sea of Cortez. I just checked the HAL website and these cruises are still available for booking. Did your TA say why these were canceled? Were you booked on one of these sailings?

Hi Desert Dogs, what part of Az are you from? DH and I live in Mesa. We were booked on the March 27, sailing. Our TA told us only that they had a notice from Hal that the two March Sea of Cortez sailings were cancelled and that a replacement will be offered. No info re why the sailings were cancelled or what/when the replacement offer will be.

Hi Desert Dogs, what part of Az are you from? DH and I live in Mesa. We were booked on the March 27, sailing. Our TA told us only that they had a notice from Hal that the two March Sea of Cortez sailings were cancelled and that a replacement will be offered. No info re why the sailings were cancelled or what/when the replacement offer will be.

We are in Yuma. Hope ours does not get canceled. Please keep us posted on any changes. Thanks.

Jan

The opening date for 2010 Winter Olympics is February 12 and closing date is February 28.

But what most don't realize is that there are other events tied with the Olympics. My guess is that the ship will also be needed for the 2010 Paralympics that will be held from March 12 to March 21 in Vancouver. The Paralympics are typically always held a week or two after the Olympic games in the host city -- in fact they relight the Olympic cauldron for the duration of the Paralympics, have the same type of opening and closing ceremonies, and use the Olympic venues for the competition.

But what most don't realize is that there are other events tied with the Olympics. My guess is that the ship will also be needed for the 2010 Paralympics that will be held from March 12 to March 21 in Vancouver. The Paralympics are typically always held a week or two after the Olympic games in the host city -- in fact they relight the Olympic cauldron for the duration of the Paralympics, have the same type of opening and closing ceremonies, and use the Olympic venues for the competition.
I've heard that the potential charters for a couple of HAL ships were going to run for something like 60 days. They won't be sailing during that time; just docked to provide housing for people working the Olympic Games.

Don't know if this potential charter is a definite go, but it would explain why several ships are having their itineraries changed in late 2009/early 2010. My booked cruise on the Volendam for early 2010 was also cancelled and I received a notification from HAL to that effect.

I think between this potential charter of a couple of ships, and the dry dock schedules needed to implement the new Signature of Excellence improvements, many of the ships' deployment schedules are being altered. I would imagine with less ships sailing during that period, they want to make sure they only do the most profitable itineraries.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks Rita. I had no idea that charters would be as long as 60 days. Did HAL make any replacement offers when they notified you that your Volendam cruise was cancelled? If yes, how long after they notified you of the cancellation? I have heard nothing since. Jane

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Zaandam is going to Hawaii according to some of the good nuts, they are making bookings at that time on Zaandam.

The Rotterdam was supposed to be in Asia but was redeployed to South America.

Right now HAL has no ships in Asia in 2010 so we booked on Azamara even though the HAL itinerary was better with more ports. According to the Reps Azamara was voted best luxury cruise line but I find it hard to believe it will be luxury at the price points, plus alcohol and bar drinks are extra.

Archived