Voyager Baltic cruise

NC&KY

we were on Voyager in the Baltic in 2006. We chose the itinerary so we could have three days in St Petersburg. We took a private guide there - Galina of Galina Tours - and we were absolutely delighted! She speaks superb English, has guided several US Presidents, knows everyone and gets you into places when they are closed to the public - e.g. Catherine's Palace, the Gold Room at the Hermitage and the Yusopov palace. She isn't cheap, but we thought well worht it!

Other than St P, we were in Tallin, Rostock, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Aside from Tallin we had been to these places before but we did take a tour in Rostock which included the former Stasi HQ and was really fascinating.

We had good weather - ie not much rain! - and all in all had a wonderful cruise. If you have specific questions I would be glad to try to anser them!

Both of you recommend private tours. I understood I would need to be with a group to keep from having to get a visa. Did you have a problem? Somewhere I read that a visa is a little pricey, but more so it's very difficult and time-consuming to go through the process.

Here is the report from our Baltic cruise in Aug 2008: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=819852

Definitely would do a private tour in St. Petersburg, even with the tours being included. There is just so much to see and do there that you wouldn't be able to get around to everything you want with the group tour (IMHO).

Your journal was exactly what I've been looking for. Glad you wrote it then, and glad you gave me the link. We're definitely going, only question is which August date. And we're planning to spend a few extra days in Stockholm, like you did. We've done Copenhagen but never been to Stockholm. Thanks.

eat the way the swedes do. Have the great breakfast at the hotel. Then have a small "fika" (snack) in the afternoon and then an early dinner. Go to Swedish places, McD is not a cheap alternative in Sweden.

Stockholm can be very doable this way. Also get the blue plate special. Many restaurants have them.

eat the way the swedes do. Have the great breakfast at the hotel. Then have a small "fika" (snack) in the afternoon and then an early dinner. Go to Swedish places, McD is not a cheap alternative in Sweden.

Stockholm can be very doable this way. Also get the blue plate special. Many restaurants have them.

Sounds like a really great way to eat! We didn't actually eat at McDonald's -- just looked at the menu:)

Archived