And Yet Another ? About The Dress Code

cins240

We are very casual dressers (shorts/shirts/flipflops) while on vacation. Does this mean we can not dress this way at all when going into the MDR for dinner? We will "dress up" (business attire) for 1-2 nights but do not want to do it every night. How will we know which night requires a certain attire? And what other options are there to Formal Nights?

We are very casual dressers (shorts/shirts/flipflops) while on vacation. Does this mean we can not dress this way at all when going into the MDR for dinner? We will "dress up" (business attire) for 1-2 nights but do not want to do it every night. How will we know which night requires a certain attire? And what other options are there to Formal Nights?

the compass will tell you the dress code...technically shorts are not permitted at dinner.....

as for other options, there is the windjammer where, as long as you are not in a swimsuit, you are fine.

otherwise, there is portofino, but you are expected to dress in "smart casual" ie, sundresses, shirt and tie, etc.......not formal...

you WILL see everything, and enforecement of the dresscode, is, well, almost nonexistant...BUT, YMMV..........

It will be on your Cruise Compass every day, but I would not try to go into the MDR in shorts and flip flops you may be asked to leave and change. I have seen this happen on a few occasions. I would say at the least wear nice jeans/khaki pants and a polo shirt for men and pants and a nice shirt for women and on formal nights wear dress pants and a shirt and tie for men and dress pants and a nice shirt or a simple dress for women.

We are very casual dressers (shorts/shirts/flipflops) while on vacation. Does this mean we can not dress this way at all when going into the MDR for dinner?

Not in the dining room or specialty restaurants.

How will we know which night requires a certain attire?

It is listed in the Compass (ship news) every day.

And what other options are there to Formal Nights?

Depends which ship you are on, but Windjammers (buffet) is always an option.

The Daily Compass, the ship's newspaper will tell you what the dress code for dinner is.

5852.jpg

Above, at the bottom, to the right of Captain's Gala Dinner it says Formal Attire.

5856.jpg

Above, at the bottom, to the right of Crown & Anchor Dinner it says Casual or 50's - 70's attire.

I don't think that even Norwegian, which is the most casual of all the major cruise lines, is as casual as you want to be. However, yes, there is an alternative. The Windjammer (the buffet) is casual. You could eat there if you want.

Here is Royal Caribbean's dress code ...

Q: What are the dress codes onboard? s.gif

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Cruise Length - Casual - Smart Casual - Formal

3-night -2 - 0 - 1

4-night - 3 - 0 - 1

5-night - 3 - 1 - 1

6-night - 3 - 1 - 2

7-night - 4 - 1 - 2

8-night - 4 - 2 - 2

9-night - 5 - 2 - 2

10-night - 6 - 2 - 2

11-night - 7 - 2 - 2

12-night - 8 - 2 - 2*

13-night - 9 - 2 - 2

14-night - 8 - 3 - 3

15-night+ - Remaining Casual - 3 - 3

Note: *Some 12-night European cruises may have 3 formal nights

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

We travel with another couple in which the other man will occasionally wear nice shorts with a polo shirt to the MDR and he has not as yet been turned away but I'm sure it happens. He would never do that on a formal night where he feels he has to be in a suit or tux. I, like you, am a very casual dresser but I have NEVER worn shorts to the MDR, windjammer yes. I do on most occasions wear dockers and a polo shirt or caribbean shirt. The one thing I do that some people might be appalled by is I usually wear flip flops to dinner. I figure no one really sees my feet because we are always some of the first people in the dining room and I am seated before most are in. And yes I have worn flip flops with a tux. :)

Thanks so much! We will be on the Mariner 6/7/09 (our first cruise). The thought of dressing up each night was a turn off especially if it's hot/humid. Your imput really helps alot!

Remember these three things. 1) RCCL doesn't have a dress code per se no matter what you hear, they have "suggested attire" 2) I think it is important to be mindful of other passengers feelings when dressing for dinner in the MDR, that's why I don't wear shorts 3) HAVE FUN cruising is an awesome vacation and can become addictive.

i will be with you on the Mariner on the 7th. I personally have no problem with shorts in the dining room. and I have made that clear on other threads regarding the same topic. However, others feel it is inappropriate. But I say do what you want, if anyone besides an employee says something to you, tell em where they can stick it. and enjoy your cruise, YOU paid for it. See you on board amigo!!!

Here's the way I see it. If you want a "shorts and flip-flop" atmosphere, you shouldn't book a cruise that has a "suggested dress" for dinner! It'd be like going to a nudist colony and wearing your clothes all the time---you KNEW it was a nudist thing---if you don't want to be nude, why did you go????

You can wear shorts and flip-flops to breakfast and lunch. You can wear them for dinner, too, but be prepared to either be turned away from the dining room, or get some nasty looks from those who are following the "suggested" dress guidelines! (Rubber flip-flops aren't appropriate footwear for dinner anywhere except Micky-D's, anyway!)

Here's the way I see it. If you want a "shorts and flip-flop" atmosphere, you shouldn't book a cruise that has a "suggested dress" for dinner! It'd be like going to a nudist colony and wearing your clothes all the time---you KNEW it was a nudist thing---if you don't want to be nude, why did you go????
I can think of a few good reasons.

You can wear shorts and flip-flops to breakfast and lunch. You can wear them for dinner, too, but be prepared to either be turned away from the dining room, or get some nasty looks from those who are following the "suggested" dress guidelines! (Rubber flip-flops aren't appropriate footwear for dinner anywhere except Micky-D's, anyway!)

I did want to make sure we follow the "suggested attire" guidelines and that was the reason for my question. It's just nice to know we do have other options. I would never dream of showing up in shorts and flip flips anywhere it is not appropriate.

We will be on the Mariner 6/7/09 (our first cruise). The thought of dressing up each night was a turn off especially if it's hot/humid.

It will not be hot/humid in the Dining Room, or any of the public rooms, for that matter. The ship is air conditioned; some people feel chilly in the Dining Room, but you can bring a light sweater or wrap.

It will not be hot/humid in the Dining Room, or any of the public rooms, for that matter. The ship is air conditioned; some people feel chilly in the Dining Room ...
I thought they served chilly in the dining room. They let you feel it too?

As others have said, the dress code is suggested. On our med cruise in November we got back from our all-day excursion just before the ship sailed and our early dinner began. We were in jeans, tee shirts and sneakers and it was formal night. We went straight to the dining room and the head waiter at the door said "welcome to the dining room" (I did have a gown and he had a tux, but we had no time to change and we were starved and didn't want to miss the prime rib)

I have also noticed that on the last two7 day cruises we took, there were no "smart casual" nights. The Compass had either formal or casual.

I did want to make sure we follow the "suggested attire" guidelines and that was the reason for my question. It's just nice to know we do have other options. I would never dream of showing up in shorts and flip flips anywhere it is not appropriate.

The suggested attire for casual nights is not what I would call "dress up". Most men wear a collared shirt like a camp shirt or polo style shirt and slacks, women wear sundresses, skirts, slacks and capris. My husband takes along one or two pair of Tommy Bahama silk slacks and a couple nice shirts and wears sandals. I wear slacks and a nice top, usually I mix and match so I don't have to haul a ton of clothes and shoes.

Only the formal nights are dressy, most men are in a suit and tie (or tux) most women in long evening dresses or cocktail length dresses. Formal is not as formal as it once was.

I'd actually like it if we had to dress in what I consider "cocktail party attire" every single night of the cruise. The dining rooms are so formal and the table settings nice, with served courses. It seems a shame that people don't want to look nice for a dinner out :) I could make a little black dress look different for 3 of the 7 nights!

Some cruise lines have a more relaxed suggested dress code. RCCL lists suggested dress on their web site. Perhaps a more casual line is best for you.

With that said, most men wear long pants and a collared short to the MDR on non formal nights and wear a suit/tux ( or at least jacket and tie) for formal night. You will likely NOT be turned away from the MDR . Seems to me that putting on a pair of shorts and top takes the same energy as putting on a pair of slack and collared shirt. Perhaps I am missing something.

I will add that we often dine in the specialty restaurants and find that many men are not in jackets. We have never seen anyone shorts.

enjoy.

M

This is good to know. We are going to the Med. in July on the Voyager, and we have early dinner also. Some of those excursions are eight hours long, I was wondering how we were going to get to dinner on time. Call me anything you want, but don't call me late for dinner. LOL;)

As others have said, the dress code is suggested. On our med cruise in November we got back from our all-day excursion just before the ship sailed and our early dinner began. We were in jeans, tee shirts and sneakers and it was formal night. We went straight to the dining room and the head waiter at the door said "welcome to the dining room" (I did have a gown and he had a tux, but we had no time to change and we were starved and didn't want to miss the prime rib)

I have also noticed that on the last two7 day cruises we took, there were no "smart casual" nights. The Compass had either formal or casual.

Archived