will cans/plastic containers of soda explode in checked luggage?

just wondering if this has happened to anyone if they took soda in their checked luggage. i mean, will it freeze or what in that compartment and explode??

i want to save money by having soda and wine for the cabin before i get on the ship and dont know if i will have time to pick some up before i board.

any experiences please post :) .

We've always brought our own sodas on board in our checked luggage. I too always wrap them in ziploc bags. Be sure to pack them in the center of your suitcase with plenty of clothing as padding all around. A good trick is I pack them inside of our shoes.

thanks everyone for letting me know about taking your soda in your carry-on. and putting them in your shoes is a great tip. i was wondering if it would freeze if it was in my checked luggage? i would hate to have one explode in the bag. i guess i will just hope i will have time to pick some up before i board.

We've always brought our own sodas on board in our checked luggage. I too always wrap them in ziploc bags. Be sure to pack them in the center of your suitcase with plenty of clothing as padding all around. A good trick is I pack them inside of our shoes.

if my wife found that there was room in her bag for soda she would not bring soda but more clothes

My husband and I accidentally packed some plastic Diet Coke bottles in our check in luggage on the last cruise we took. We meant to put it in our carry on luggage and when I realized it was in our checked in luggage by mistake I thought we were in trouble! It wasn't even in a ziploc bag. BUT thankfully... it was fine. No freezing or explosion. I would recommend putting it in a ziploc bag just in case though.

:-) Amy

We packed cans a long time ago- nothing happened to them- But today there is weight restrictions for flights-- Usuaully 50 pounds and only 2 pcs checked. Do you really want to use up weight with soda? Im sure that no matter what port your are going to it will be just as easy to ask the cabi driver to stop somehwere for 12 packs of whatever soda you want to drink- On each cruise each of my party has carried on a 12 pack of soda.

thanks serene

we are going to be on a tight schedule. now that i think about it we could probably pick some up at the airport when we get into our embarkation city. now that is a idea i hadnt thought about. im sure there will be a way now to not have to lug it around untill we get to the destination.

Im sure your airport that you are arriving will have sundries store or a pharmacy that sells 12 packs of soda. do a google search on your airport to see whats available. WHat time are you arriving that you may jsut be cutting it close???

My guess is that diet drinks would have a greater chance of exploding than "regular" sodas. I remember when Diet Coke first came out and my mom put some in the freezer to have to take to work/school/etc like we had always done with regular Coke and Sprite, etc. They all exploded overnight!!! What a mess.

I think the sugar helps lower the freezing point. Might help if you have a long flight.

i will go to the seatac site and see if there is a shop where i can pick some up. we are going to be getting on the quick shuttle for vancouver right after we pick up our bags. and i dont know where anything is in vancouver where we will be staying over night. i am not a coka cola drinker so i need my diet pepsi too get me through the day. thanks for all the tips.

thanks for the tips and info about the soda making it in the duffle bag. the reason we are going to so much trouble is that the ship has coka cola products and we are pepsi drinkers. so we are going to have our favorite soda for the week. i know we will get some before we board.

If it did explode or if it got confiscated you'll have NO right to complain because your breaking the rules by trying to save money regardless of whether you like coke or not. Not trying to be mean herre, but just pointing out reality..Menina

thanks for the tips and info about the soda making it in the duffle bag. the reason we are going to so much trouble is that the ship has coka cola products and we are pepsi drinkers. so we are going to have our favorite soda for the week. i know we will get some before we board.

kalamari--if that does happen i know i will only have myself to blame. thanks for pointing it out that i will be breaking the rules 'along with thousands of others that do it also'. but along with them, i prefer pepsi and want it on the cruise.

• 1 month later...

I Have Taken Soda Both Ways, At Different Times....packing In Checked Luggage..flying Down;, And Also Bought At The Ports City, Or At Peir Shops......i Have Yet To Have Any Problems Thus Far With Freezing, Or Exploding, Or Leakage.....:)

If It's In Checked Luggage, The Weight Factor Does Come Into Play...but I Have Wrapped Them Up Seperatly..like In Socks, Or Plastic Bags....i Tried Various Places In The Luggage..along The Sides Of The Case....and In The Middle...making Sure It Was Padded Fairly Well....and Always In My Casual Wear Luggage.

There Are Laundry Services On Each Floor...if I Had Any Problems, That You Could Quickly Wash Them If Needed.....

And, If Any Questions Arrised...there Are Folks Who Are Actually "allergic" To Coke/or Certain Brands.(rare, But Is True...)..and Can Only Drink Pepsi Products, Or Other Brands...without Having A Health Problem...so That Can Also Be And Excuse/factor To Bring What You Can Drink!....(besides The Savings Of Money.....AND THAT IS A FACTOR..TOOO, NO GOLDEN SPOON FOR ME!!)

I Have Never Been Questioned By Anyone About Bringing My Own Soda...either Checked Luggage, Or Carry-on....so I Doubt There Would Be Any Problems There, Either....

I Am A Diet-pepsi Alcoholic...and Would Have A S/s Card Out O This World, If I Didn't Use The "bring Your Own Method"...in Additon Of An Occasional S/s Usage......so I Say , Bring Your Own Soda, If You Want To!!!

Just My Experiences, After 8 Cruises....:) ONLY DIET-PEPSI FOR ME!!!! ;)

Cindy

Freezing and soda exploding really isn't a huge problem in a jets cargo hold. The cargo hold is both pressurized and climate controlled (once inflight). If it's really cold outside where you are flying from it may freeze while on the ground but once inflight the cargo hold heater is turned on.

just wondering if this has happened to anyone if they took soda in their checked luggage. i mean, will it freeze or what in that compartment and explode??

i want to save money by having soda and wine for the cabin before i get on the ship and dont know if i will have time to pick some up before i board.

Hi! I just returned from the ELATION...I'm a PEPSI-holic ALSO. I took some on board......a few cans and a few 20-oz plastic bottles and they were fine. (NOTE: We drove; did not fly!) While in Progresso and Cozumel, I bought a few more PEPSIs and took them back to the ship with me. I had at least one per day available and drank COKE when needed. I was unable to locate any PEPSI in Belize. Just Coke & Dr. Pepper products.

For me, it wasn't only the money at issue. I LOVE PEPSI and I don't love Coke.

It's my ONLY vice besides chocolate......so, come on, please don't make me feel guilty.....

Besides, I don't see anywhere in the ship in that it is forbidden or illegal. They limit the amount you can take,

but have NO problem as long as we stayed under the limit.

HAVE FUN!!!

It's very possible that there will be a mini mart close to you. We stayed downtown last year and saw many little markets in the area. Our hotel had one directly across the street. So, don't pack your sodas, purchase them in Vancouver, you will be happy not to haul them all the way from home.

I have read somewhere in Cruise Critic (probably the review section of a certain ship) that many people talked about "soft-side coolers" they brought on the ship with their sodas. They were saying how wonderful to have that in the room and the stewards kept the coolers packed with ice everyday. I went around and found one. Plan to take it on our July cruise through Panama with some sodas and bottled water. I hope it's OK. It comes with rolling wheels and I figure once we finished the drinks, I can use the empty cooler to pack things home. Any one knows if it's OK with NCL?

Archived