Turkey /Pashminas scarfs?

Looking to buy Pashminas scarfs as gifts in Turkey . What price range should I be expecting? Do you bargain?:o Thank you for any help.Linda

The pashminas I saw at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul were priced starting at 10 Euros up to maybe 35 Euros, depending on fabric quality. On the streets by the Blue Mosque when we were there in September during Ramadan, I believe I saw many selling for 5 Euros.

You definitely have to bargain at all the tourist shops in Turkey.

The pashminas I saw at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul were priced starting at 10 Euros up to maybe 35 Euros, depending on fabric quality. On the streets by the Blue Mosque when we were there in September during Ramadan, I believe I saw many selling for 5 Euros.

You definitely have to bargain at all the tourist shops in Turkey.

Do you start the bargaining by half? Dont want in insult them.:rolleyes:

We bought 6 beautiful ones for 13 euros each at the spice bazaar--they packaged each one individually and we gave them to all the daughters-in-law for Christmas. Luckily, the one we didn't like (dil) was out of the picture by Christmas, so guess who has it now??? Moi!! I wrapped it around my neck for our Valentine's Day sleigh ride in the snow and it worked great--I was toasty warm.

One dil had no idea what it was--she thought it was a table runner!! Luckily, a little more fashion-conscious dil set her straight!

Oh, and the purchase came with the requisite glasses of apple tea! Love that stuff!

Cathy

Do you start the bargaining by half? Dont want in insult them.:rolleyes:

That is what I have done, but I certainly defer to experts because my first and so far only visit to Turkey was just last September, and I am someone who simply hates to shop. If you purchase more than one of an item, you definitely can get a better deal. I purchased two gorgeous pashminas from a lovely gentleman in the Grand Bazaar with a fabulous selection in his pashmina-only shop. In Turkey, particularly if spending over maybe 80 Euros for an item, you can enjoy apple tea, and much discussion. Both of those I personally do not enjoy, but others do. I actually preferred the experience of buying my first pashmina in Lucca, Italy two years ago at a set price.

The real experts can be found on the Istanbul forum of sister website cruisecritic because the Destination Experts on that board include both Istanbul residents and a really pleasant group of American ladies who travel at least annually to Istanbul.

A few items as my wife has bought several there. They make great gifts.

There is a difference in quality depending on where you go. So, take time and walk around to get a feel of what is available. Even within many stores there is a difference in quality.

The more you buy the better the price. So, once you negotiate a price for one then see what they will do if you purchase several of them.

I always say figure out what you want to pay for them rather than focusing on the asking price. If you think they are worth say $8.00 each it doesn't matter whether they start at $20.00 or $12.00. Decide in your mind what a good price is.

They do expect that you will bargain.

There are so many places that sell these so do take time to get a feel as to the differences in quality which translates to differences in price.

Keith

Are you looking for the real pashmina shawls? Pashmina is a kind of very fine wool (finer than cashmere) that is only woven in India. They are extremely soft, non-itchy, and typically very expensive.

I have a feeling you are just using the term "pashmina" to refer to a certain style of large scarf/shawl? If so, you will find plenty in Turkey. Just be aware that many of them aren't necessarily MADE in Turkey and the materials vary from nice cashmere to wool and silk/wool blends all the way down to the less expensive rayon. Real pashmina is not very common.

As everyone has said, take the time to compare quality (and look at the labels). Bargaining is definitely expected. Depending on the item, I will often start as low as one-third of the beginning price offered.

We were told the same. Most pashmina scarves sold in Turkey, etc are made in China.

The real ones are hard to find and would cost $50 or more.

What are on sale are usually very nice and, for the right price, a nice gift but beware thay are not the "real" thing.

I don't kow if there were tags on them or not but even if there were, I would question them. If you believe them, I have a bridge for sale!!!

On the other hand many were very nice, well made and probably worth the bargained price. People on our cruise who bought them, knowing they weren't real, still said they they were a good souvenir.

Same goes for a lot of things. Much lace in Burano(Venice) is made in China. Royal Dalton china is prabably made in Malasia, etc. Its a new world!

I am sure the ones I bought for 13 E were NOT pashmina--I was using that as more of a descriptive term for the style, not accurately. They had a label that said 'pashmina' but it did not look authentic, and did not have a "made in" label at all. But they were pretty, and with 5 daughters-in-law and 13 grandkids, perfect for X-mas gifts! We also brought back some nice jewelry from Murano for gifts--if you tell them that you bought it for them in Italy, you can get away with spending a lot less! In fact,we brought our very artistic 15 year old niece a Murano glass pen with a matching glass inkwell, and she said it was the most beautiful gift she'd ever received--it was about $10! Score!

I HATE bargaining, but my husband loves it (he is an attorney so used to that sort of thing). So he does it for me. But we usually start at about 1/2 of the asking price for 1, and they definitely will give you a better deal if you buy several. Decide on the price for 1 first and remember that once you have settled on that price, you are sort of obligated to buy at least that one.

I HATE bargaining, but my husband loves it (he is an attorney so used to that sort of thing). So he does it for me. But we usually start at about 1/2 of the asking price for 1, and they definitely will give you a better deal if you buy several. Decide on the price for 1 first and remember that once you have settled on that price, you are sort of obligated to buy at least that one.

RachelG post reminds me that you should never, never start the bargaining process in Turkey unless you really plan to purchase the item (versus "just looking"). So, do not ask the price if you are not really interested, and if you inquire the price on an unmarked item and the first price offered is more than twice the price I would ever agree to, do not make a counteroffer; just stop there, say thank you, and move on.

I have really enjoyed this thread. I am not a person who can bargain even thouogh I do occasionally stir things up (if you don't believe me see the mess I started on credit card fee this week:o). I would go to the bargaining lessons but I still feel bad when the "poor mother" tells me that I am taking money from her children. Yes I know it is pobably a lie but it works on me. Please someone train me not to make eye contact. Thankfully one of the people we travel with is the most hard nosed dealer ever and she deals for me if I want to buy and scares the sellers away if I go to panic mode.

Archived