Gondola rides in Venice

Our cruise line has just posted the excursions for our stop in Venice. I was wanting to compare some of their prices. Does anyone know how much a gondola ride at sunset/evening usually goes for? How long is the ride generally? Singing involved? Does it cost so much for the boat or per person? How many people does the boat hold?

I've read several posts on Venice but not sure if anyone gave answers to all of this. Thanks!

Our cruise line has just posted the excursions for our stop in Venice. I was wanting to compare some of their prices. Does anyone know how much a gondola ride at sunset/evening usually goes for? How long is the ride generally? Singing involved? Does it cost so much for the boat or per person? How many people does the boat hold?

I've read several posts on Venice but not sure if anyone gave answers to all of this. Thanks!

We did this the last time we were in Venice. We split the cost with another couple and it was great. I would go with it still light enough to take some great pictures. We did not have anyone singing... and didn't really see that. Not saying it isn't a choice, but we didn't see it on our ride. The cost was PER boat. I think we spent 80 euros for our ride. Worth every penny!

Gondola holds 6 max, the stated rate runs I think about 80-100 euros for 45' to an hour. I believe the rates at sunset are higher then during the day. Romance has a cost, if you want singing it costs more, I recalled that was another 50 :eek: I hear you can try and negotiate.

The ladies in our group did it early in the morning for 80 euros for 5 for 45'. The consensus was it was well worth it. Yes its so touristy but it soo Venice!

Personally I'd avoid the group cruise deal. I've heard you end up as a flotilla of gondolas jammed 6 / gondolla all floating togather centered around the one which has the singer, not my idea of a romantic or very venetian experience.

My husband and I were in Venice in September and both rode for $100 for about 45 minutes. We were on a Gondola that held six and I would not have liked it if we hadn't gotten on first and got the loveseat. There were about 6 gondolas that took off at the same time with the accordian player in a different boat than ours.

Depending on how long you are in Venice, I saw that you could easily book a ride during the day for that same evening. Personally I think that would be the way to go so you are assured just the two of you in your gondola. From what I heard $100 is pretty typical for two, but maybe more for an accordianist. Also, it's okay for you take a bottle of champagne and glasses which adds a nice touch. Salute!!:)

We booked our own Gondola Ride at sunset last October. We paid $80 for 45 min and shared with another couple (no singing). We brought a small bottle of wine and glasses. It was most magical. We glided along on the Grand Canal and sailed under the Rialto Bridge and he also took us down some narrow canals which were quite scenic (Marco Polo's house was one of the areas he pointed out). We then ended up back near the Bauer Hotel (near St Marks Square). There were many gondolas for hire there and a great starting place. Don't take the ship tour. They charge per person and put 6 people in the Gondola. Four is enough. Hire your own (there are many). This was definitely a highlight for us and one we will always remember.

Have a great cruise.

We like to do it the right way, hang the expense. We booked through our US Travel Agent with I C Bellagio http://www.icbellagio.com/ and had a luxurious experience.

Our group of six were met at the ship by a private water taxi which took us to St Mark's Square. Our guide led us through the crowds directly to our reserved gondolas and we embarked on our tour. There were two gondolas, four of us in one, two of us and the musicians in the other. We had our own private serenade as we traveled. It was a wonderful once in a lifetime experience and well worth whatever it cost us.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks everyone, you have helped me make up my mind. On our own for sure! I'll let my DH negotiate (he can sing really well too, maybe he can serenade me). :rolleyes:

MercedMike it sounds like like you had a wonderful time. I'll check out the website and your review. Perhaps I can find another couple that would be interested in sharing this experience.

Now all we need is good weather. We were in Venice 4 years ago and had very cold, windy, rainy weather so didn't have the opportunity. Most of the gondolas were all tucked in away from the storm. I really don't want to miss it this time. :)

~ Bev

Gondoliers are hit and miss. I had a great one the first time. He was very nice to my 14 year old son and talked about life an a gondolier. My son asked him "What if your sons don't want to become gondoliers (because this is passed down generationally)". He said "I never thought of that". It is such a privilege to be a gondolier in Venice that not doing it is just not thought of- if your father is one.

The next two rides I did were on very hot summer days and the gondoliers weren't particularly interesting and one was sick and just hacked the whole time- yuck!

I do think the best time to go would be in the early morning before it gets too warm or at sunset. My sister did one at night and that was extra because there aren't many available at night. I think they paid 100 Euros.

Not booked yet, but probably will do the Evening Gondola Serenade (VE10) through Celebrity. It leaves at 8 PM, 2 hrs, $140, 4 per gondola, one singer/accordionist duo for every 5-6 gondolas will accompany us. It's a bit pricey, but we really want to do this and it's seems convenient and safe. My cruise companion is a new friend in her 70s and I want her to feel comfortable and safe, too.

The cruise is Summit Classical Med. leaving Barcelona June 3 and arriving in Venice June 14 with one night on the ship. The afternoon we arrive we will do the Secret Venice Walking tour and the next day, after leaving the ship we will do the Padua and airport transfer.

$140 per person or for both of you? If that's per couple, I personally think its too much, but if it makes you comfortable that's not too bad a mark up. However, if that is per person, this is so easy to do on your own, please don't waste the money!!!! You can do an evening ride by yourselves with a serenade for less than that. You can even book through Viator for quite a bit less than that as well. Current rates are 80 euros for 40 minutes before 7:00 pm and then 100 euros for 40 minutes, that's for the entire gondola, not per person. Remember only 2 people get the loveseat and the others sit facing you in chairs.

I personally would say Hire your own, the last time we were in Venice we had an evening meal in one of the many canal side restaurants, then went and hired a gondala for about 90euros there was 5 of us at that time. because it was night time is was not as busy and we didnt have to wait long. I actually prefer doing it at night its a lot more peaceful and i suppose romantic.

However if your one for photos then stick to day light hours as there is very little lighting along the routes taken.

When we were there a few months ago, there were gondoliers EVERYwhere looking for clients. Personally we think it's the height of schlocky "tourist trap-ism" and had no desire to do it, but if we HAD, we had our pick of a gazillion gondolas. I should think twice about subsidizing the cruise line for something that is SO easy to do on your own!

Cathy

It may be schlocky, but we are looking forward to our gondola ride in just a couple of months..... There is a romantic aspect to it that we are not willing to pass up. We plan on enjoying some wine on our ride.

$114 per person is ridiculous though, please just go spur of the moment and enjoy and not over pay by so much.

It may be schlocky, but we are looking forward to our gondola ride in just a couple of months..... There is a romantic aspect to it that we are not willing to pass up. We plan on enjoying some wine on our ride.

$114 per person is ridiculous though, please just go spur of the moment and enjoy and not over pay by so much.

Taking a gondola ride in Venice is almost a rite of passage and I know you'll enjoy it. Have fun!

We have never found any way to justify the ridiculous cruise ship tour prices (or any other tour) for gondolas. The gondolas are located in many locations throughout Venice and its very simply to hire your own (as has already been stated in several other posts). A couple would pay about $50 per person and have their own gondola (we like to take a bottle of wine and some cups) as opposed to most tours that pack in 6 to a boat and travel in groups (almost like a flotila). If you have 4, you can get your cost down to about $25 per person.

Hank

No, just seen it. Have you seen it? It's a joke! BUT, these are just MY opinions!!!:rolleyes:

FWIW, we loved Venice and found it to be a very romantic city, loved wandering and discovering at every turn. We're just not into things we perceive as 'touristy'. Had free tix for a boat ride on the Seine in Paris and skipped that too! Just us!

Cathy

Sometimes the touristy stuff can still be a lot of fun. We have fond memories of going to what we thought were silly touristy things with visiting family and friends, places we would never go to without somebody visiting and really wanting to do. Just because its touristy doesn't mean it isn't fun or enjoyable.

To summarize for those who do want to do this, the gondolas usually can hold 6, you can join up with others and share to bring the cost down, you can negotiate with the gondolier for which types of canals to go down. The prices are for the entire gondola, not per person unless you book a tour version, official prices are 80 euros for 40 minutes before 7:00 pm and then 100 euros for 40 minutes, more for a serenade or music and you can usually add on an additional 20 minutes or so for another 40-50 euros. You can pick the gondola rides up all over the place, some will negotiate and some will try to charge you more than the official prices so make sure about the agreed upon price before getting in. You can also talk to the gondoliers before negotiating the ride to make sure you find one that you get along with and who you think will be fun to talk to during the ride. Have fun!

Archived