Venice Gondola advice

My FIL heard that you are better off getting a Gondola outside of a hotel, vs in the streets.

Is there any truth to this?

He believes they will be nicer and more professional...

Knowing how esteemed the job is, I would think (hope) you could get a good gondolier anywhere..

Anone who has experience, please advise.

I really do not think it matters where you get a gondola (they have quite a few locations around Venice). The prices are pretty much standard although you might have some luck if you are a good negotiator and the demand is down.

Hank

Unless you want to have your hotel's concierge book the gondola I would just go to one of the gondola "stops" on one of the canals and negotiate the best price you can. You can negotiate over overall cost and basic cost vs increasing the length of the ride. But get the negotiation done before you set foot in the boat!!

We stayed at the LaComedia hotel near the Rialto bridge and the front desk there was more than willing to arrange all kinds of things for us at about 25% discount vs what we would pay just walking up, including gondola rides.

That said, we did not do a gondola ride as there are so many ways to experience Venice and a gondola ride is only one of them.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I was teaching a course in Venice in November. On my afternoons off, I would walk around the streets. The only people riding in gondolas were American tourists. The prices were very high and there were many, many gondoliers waiting around for customers throughout Venice.

Another option to see the Grand Canal and the different islands is to take a Vaporetto. For a few Euro you can hop on the Vaporetto and ride all over. It's the Venitian version of a bus. The 'bus stops' are easily marked. A nice trip is from the wharf down from St Marks around to the Rialto Bridge. Sit outside in the front of the boat and you will have a million dollar ride. The Euros you save can be spent on outrageously priced meals and souvenirs!

Our cruise ended in Venice in Oct '08. My friend wanted to ride a gondola, that was the only thing she expressly wanted to do in Venice. I knew the rides were around 80-100 EUR and last year that was about $150. Now we maybe could have shared with someone from our roll call or even someone we met on the ship, but I chose to book a tour through www.viator.com.

We did a walking tour with a gondola ride for $45 pp. So we still paid $90 for the experience, but we also had the walking tour included.

We did get a 72 hour vaporetto pass, and went to Murano, Lido and back and forth to San Marco a number of times. Actually the best view of Venice is coming in from Lido, you actually get to see San Marco drawing closer and closer. From Piazzale Roma, there are too many people on the vaporetto to get a good view of the Grand Canal or San Marco.

As other posters have noted, lots of idle gondoliers, but we were told the rates are government controlled, so don't expect much of a discount even if you are a good haggler.

Another option to see the Grand Canal and the different islands is to take a Vaporetto. For a few Euro you can hop on the Vaporetto and ride all over. It's the Venitian version of a bus. The 'bus stops' are easily marked. A nice trip is from the wharf down from St Marks around to the Rialto Bridge. Sit outside in the front of the boat and you will have a million dollar ride. The Euros you save can be spent on outrageously priced meals and souvenirs!

You are so right; that's how we spent a few hours on our last visit to Venice two years ago. Those few side seats at the front of the board absolutely are wonderful, and we saw a great deal of Venice from the water on a lovely day.

We rented an apartment in Venice last spring for several weeks. It seemed to us that the gondola prices were the same everywhere. It depends on the time of day you want to take your ride. We paid 80 or 85 Euros for a 45 min daytime ride (the price is per gondola and not per person). Our gondolier spoke good English and gave us a brief tour as we rowed along-the most scenice routes are those that spend the least time on the Grand Canal-you can see the entire Grand Canal much better from the vaparettos (water buses). The gondolas hold 6 people, so if you have more people with you, and split the cost, the price is cheaper It costs more for an evening ride, probably about 30-40 Euros more. If you want a musician, and/or a singer, you also pay more for that. The gondolier that rows you does not also sing!!! It truly is a tourist thing, but when will you ever get to Venice to do it again??. We just walked down the street, found a friendly looking fellow who had a nice looking gondola, and off we went.

For those truly on a budget, look for the traghetto stops - it's an older, unfancy gondola that is basic transportation from one side of the grand canal to the other-since there are only four or five bridges in Venice to get to the other side. It takes less than five minutes, and costs about 1/2 Euro per person. No atmosphere, and you are riding with the locals, but at least one can say you rode in a gondola.!!

My dad and I had a couple of extra days on a business trip a few years ago and I talked him into stopping in Venice. I wanted to do the gondola thing, he really didn't care to and almost talked me out of it. But I insisted and I'm SOOOOO glad we did. We had walked all over and did the Vaporetto, but I personally think the gondola is well worth the price for the experience. I wouldn't suggest it as THE way to see the city by any means, but you do get a different perspective by going down some of the smaller canals. And it really is so unique and I got some fabulous pictures. This was one of the most memorable parts of the trip for me, even though I was with my dad :)

We just did a 30 minute ride which was plenty. I don't rememeber the cost, but we went around dusk and were able to negotiate a really good rate. We walked around for awhile asking prices and there didn't seem to be much of a difference between being outside a hotel or not. It's worth talking to the gondolier first, not only to negotiate, but to get a feel for his personality. Some like to talk a lot, others don't, so just depends on your preference. My dad likes to ask a lot of questions and our guy was very knowledgable and spoke good English. Something to consider.

We did get a 72 hour vaporetto pass, and went to Murano, Lido and back and forth to San Marco a number of times. Actually the best view of Venice is coming in from Lido, you actually get to see San Marco drawing closer and closer. From Piazzale Roma, there are too many people on the vaporetto to get a good view of the Grand Canal or San Marco.

I'm really interested in the 72 hour pass as that sounds like a great wy to get around. Where did you buy the pass and how much was it?

Thank you

You can buy the 24, 48 or 72 hour passes at certain key ACTV stations. One that is convenient to many cruise passengers is the large ACTV office located right at the Piazale Roma adjacent to the Grand Canal (this is where the vaporettos stop). Some other locations are at St Marks Square and I believe they also sell them at the ACTV over by the Rialto Bridge. Currently the prices are as follows: 24 hour = 18 Euros; 36 hours = 23 E; 48 hours = 28 E; 72 hours = 33 E. Keep in mind that a single trip ticket now costs 6.5 Euros. These passes also include most of the land ACTV buses.

Hank

Actually we had a gondoleer(sp?) who did sing. We sort of wandered aound shopping for the just right gondola and picked a great one. WE learned alot about what it takes to become official--and about how they buy and take care of their gondolas. I was interested in the races and had done some homework and it paid off. Our gonoleer had a daughter--he explained how hard it is to drive a boat but she was only 8 and already all she did was practice, he hoped she would be the first woman gondoleer.

And yes he sang for us and it sounds like a dorky tourist thing but the echos in the little canal was magical.

Our gondola had blue seats and was named Aurora--his daughter's name.

So--yes it is touristy but you are a tourist, just shop around until you find one that feels right to you.

Thanks again everyone. I know this is touristy- but dang it, we are doing it.

I cant think of something more stereotypically romantic.. so we skipped valentines day this year- and instead will celebrate it in May in Venice.

:)

Our gonoleer had a daughter--he explained how hard it is to drive a boat but she was only 8 and already all she did was practice, he hoped she would be the first woman gondoleer.

There is a woman gondalier in Venice right now. We took a gondola ride in October 08. When we were in the Grand Canal, she passed us by and our gondalier pointed her out as the only woman gondalier.

There have been a few discussions about the woman gondolier on TripAdvisor. She is not allowed to join the main union, association or whatever it is so she works for some of the hotels and not from the main gondola stations.

My FIL heard that you are better off getting a Gondola outside of a hotel, vs in the streets.

Knowing how esteemed the job is, I would think (hope) you could get a good gondolier anywhere..

it doesn't matters where you get a gondola

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

Be careful when you buy the vaporetto pass, it is ACTV and allows for land buses too, that are ACTV.

The blue bus from Piazzale Roma to the airport is an ATVO bus and the vaporetto pass is not accepted for this bus.

The ACTV has a large office at the Piazzale Roma, and the ATVO bus has a small office at Piazzale Rome.

We stayed at the Ca' Doge Hotel right at Piazzale Roma, and there is a yellow tourist information kiosk right in front of the hotel.

This website probably has the best information on Europe for Visitors.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses.htm

There have been a few discussions about the woman gondolier on TripAdvisor. She is not allowed to join the main union, association or whatever it is so she works for some of the hotels and not from the main gondola stations.

Is she missing some special something that they haven't admitted her to the union? Cumon, Venizia, it is the 21st century...

Take gondola at any place but bargain before:)- all of them a professionals. Price is very high but if you are lucky and a gondolier is in a good mood he will even sing for you!! Don't take vaporetto- no any romantic at all..

Be careful when you buy the vaporetto pass, it is ACTV and allows for land buses too, that are ACTV.

The blue bus from Piazzale Roma to the airport is an ATVO bus and the vaporetto pass is not accepted for this bus.

The ACTV has a large office at the Piazzale Roma, and the ATVO bus has a small office at Piazzale Rome.

We stayed at the Ca' Doge Hotel right at Piazzale Roma, and there is a yellow tourist information kiosk right in front of the hotel.

This website probably has the best information on Europe for Visitors.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses.htm

True Agabbymama. However, there is also an ACTV bus running from directly outside the airport exit to Piazzale Roma. We bought our pass at the airport and used it on the bus to Piazzale Roma.

• 3 weeks later...
We stayed at the LaComedia hotel near the Rialto bridge and the front desk there was more than willing to arrange all kinds of things for us at about 25% discount vs what we would pay just walking up, including gondola rides.

That said, we did not do a gondola ride as there are so many ways to experience Venice and a gondola ride is only one of them.

Have a great cruise!

We will also be staying at LaComedia for a night before our upcoming cruise on the Ruby Princess (Venice to Rome). What did you think of this hotel? Do you have any advice? Is it possible to e-mail them ahead of time to arrange the Gondola Ride for the evening of our arrival?

Any other advice?

Danny and Jill

Have a great cruise!

We are also staying at La Comedia for a night before we board the Ruby Princess on June 9th. How did you like the hotel? Did you or can you contact them by e-mail beforehand? I would like to see about arranging a gondola ride in the early evening of the day we arrive. Any advice?

Danny and Jill

Unless you are there at some extraordinary time, you can just walk down any canal and find a gondolier--don't worry too much about booking one. I was really surprised by how many were just standing around waiting for someone to come up and book them!

Cathy

Archived