European airline luggage allowance

SDcruising

Hi Fellow Cruisers

This is for anyone doing research on local European airlines (I was looking at flights from Venice to Barcelona and getting conflicting info :confused:). I received this quick answer from Click Air when I asked them for clarification regarding their luggage requirements. So here is ClickAir's allowance as of Feb. 26, 2009:

We would like to inform you that the price for the luggage is 10€ per suitcase and per flight if you book it through our website or our call centre (maximum 2 hours before the flight).

The fee will be of 20€ per suitcase and per flight if you make the payment at the checking counter at the airport.

With this price you will be allowed to take up to 23 kg. In case you are carrying more than 23 kg then you will be charged 10€ per extra kg. The maximum weight that can be taken in a suitcase is 32 kg, and the maximum weight allowed per passenger is 50 Kg.

Regarding the hand luggage, you are allowed to take a suitcase not bigger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm and 10 kg. maximum.

I think they also allow a small purse or briefcase to carry on plus coat, umbrella & small camera. This is listed on their website www.clickair.com

Hope this helps other "confused" researchers! :)

~ BJ

Thank you for posting this info SDcruising,

I have also been trying to do the best research flying FRA/BCN/VCE/FRA (probably all different Europe Airlines). One thing I have read is they are all tight on the weight restrictions. Have been a few pounds over here in the US without much issues, but don’t think that will fly over there (no pun intended…lol).

The other things I have been reading is it is not uncommon for Clickair, Vauling. Etc. to change or cancel flights at a moments notice and may or may not e-mail you a few days before (they will not call you). It’s not like you can catch a later flight a couple hours later, it’s like if you are scheduled to fly Sunday they will cancel your flight and tell you to fly Saturday…

Going to be interesting.

Thanks,

John

Just a Note:

This info is specific to Click air. Other airlines have varying regulations. Air Berlin has a free bag @ 20 kilos. Most have the 20 kg limit but cost for the first bag will vary by carrier. Alos overweight charges may vary. Everyone needs to check their carrier for their baggage allowances.

We are flying Continental from Newark NJ to Barcelona. Will we have baggage limit. We will sail home so we are not concerned about a return trip.

Check with Continental to see what their restrictions are as all airlines vary to some degree or another. Pay particular attention to the number, size and weight of carry-on items.

You cannot generalize for all European Airlines.

like British Airways 1 piece of max 23 kgs

while Lufthansa and others has 20 kgs but you can have more than one piece as long as it is less than 20 kgs

Ryanair 15 kgs

etc.

etc.

Depending to booking class, route, ticket (part of long-haul or seperate European) etc.

Some airlines do also have special agreements with cruise lines if they booked their arrangements, like RCI and X has a special arrangement with Lufthansa:

30 kgs instead of 20 kgs for Economy Class.

So just check your ticket: it's indicated there. Or visit their websites.

One general rule: the cheaper the ticket the more restrictions you have..

Regards,

HeinBloed

Oh my God, our Clickair answering the passengers questions. It seems that they are improving or having the new Vueling management :-) with which they will merge soon

Anyway, if you find an Iberia checking agent and have some extra kilos, you are unlikely to charged for anything. Should the check in is done by Vueling, yes...you will pay.

It´s unlikely to have Clickair in the new Vueling structure in the near before or at least not before they clarify the conditions of the merge.

We are flying Air One Venice to Rome to catch our UA flight back to the states. We will going economy Venice to Rome and then business back to the States so the luggage restrictions in Italy are important. Does anyone have any current info on allowances and cost of overages?

We are flying Air One Venice to Rome to catch our UA flight back to the states. We will going economy Venice to Rome and then business back to the States so the luggage restrictions in Italy are important. Does anyone have any current info on allowances and cost of overages?

On one or separate tickets???

If it is one ticket then the long-haul-rules apply...

If there are seperate tickets...

If there is a male agent send the wife to the counter...

If there is a female agent send the husband to the counter...

and tell them the stories that you are from the US and not familiar with European rules...

but in times where they are doing so much costcuts each kg excess baggage is welcome as revenue for the airlines... and the times when it worked are over...

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a reply from Vueling Air regarding their baggage allowances. I hope this will be of help for those travelling with this airline. Here is what they wrote:

Thank you for contacting Vueling. In response to your e-mail we would like to indicate that each passenger can check in up to 20kg of luggage at a cost of €10 per flight and suitcase when doing so via our website.

It is important that during the purchase process you indicate the exact number of suitcases you will check in because, once at the check-in counter, unregistered suitcases will incur a cost of €20 per flight and suitcase.

Any weight exceeding 20 kg will be charged at a rate of 8 euros per additional kg; up to the total maximum of 50 kg allowed per person.

The maximum weight admissible per package is 32 kg.

You are allowed to take 1 piece of carry-on luggage weighing up to 10kg with the maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm

Archived