Military Dress Mess vs. Tuxedo

EduTravler

Does anyone ever wear a military dress mess uniform for formal nights versus a tuxedo? I am proud of my husband's career plus he looks awesome in his "formal" uniform. But he is hesitant to stand out or be presumed to be "showy."

Does anyone ever wear a military dress mess uniform for formal nights versus a tuxedo? I am proud of my husband's career plus he looks awesome in his "formal" uniform. But he is hesitant to stand out or be presumed to be "showy."

Mess Dress uniform is perfectly appropriate. No sane person considers the military uniform "showy".

It will, however, "stand out". Mess Dress, although in order as formal attire, is seldom seen. It is, however, admired by all.

He certainly should not feel out of place.

Besides, it makes for great formal night pictures!! :)

Wondering about the term 'mess' uniform. Have heard reference to Military dress uniform but not the designation 'mess'.

Always appreciate seeing the uniforms being worn and the service the wearer gave to his/her country.

Wondering about the term 'mess' uniform. Have heard reference to Military dress uniform but not the designation 'mess'.

Always appreciate seeing the uniforms being worn and the service the wearer gave to his/her country.

50px-Question_book-new.svg.png

This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (September 2008)

300px-Messkit1.jpg magnify-clip.png

Three Canadian officers in shawl or rolled collar jacket and waistcoat style mess dress or mess kit. Miniature medals and other accoutrements are also worn.

Mess dress is the military term for the formal evening dress worn in the mess or at other formal occasions. It is also known as mess uniform and mess kit. This style of military dress is largely restricted to the British, Commonwealth of Nations and United States armed forces; although the Imperial German and other navies adopted their own versions during the late nineteenth century, influenced by the Royal Navy.

Dress mess is perfectly appropriate. It also gives me an opportunity to approach the individual and thank him/her for their service.

Now, back in the '70s, DH was mistaken for a maitre 'd when he wore his dress mess ... lol ...

Through the years on the ships, we've seen a number of men and women in their Military Dress Mess and always admire them. DH had his in the closet for some number of years until he offered it to a friend who was a newly graduating West Pointer . That young officer wore it for a number of years and that made us proud.

I've worn mine on several cruises simply because I have one, and it saved me the cost of buying a tux. I now have both, and I'll decide which one I'll take when I pack. The term Mess Dress comes from the tradition of formal Dining Ins and Dining Outs that were popular in England during WWII. During a Dining In, all members of a unit where required to report in fomal military dress uniform, to their unit's mess (where they took their meals) by order of their unit commander. That explains the term "Mess Dress". It was, and still is a mandatory formation with specific rules of behavior and format. Typically it is for active duty members of the unit only, although in some cases, other military members, as was the case with RAF members, were often invited. A Dining Out follows most of the same rules, however spouses are allowed to attend. ;)

If anything, he may get a couple of people thanking him for serving his country, otherwise there is nothing showy about it. Were I sill in the Navy I would were my uniform with pride.

He might want to polish up his dance skills just in case. ;)

I'll bet he'll be an attractive 'target' for the ladies at the dance floor! :D

(On e-Bay I've had good results from monkeysuits for an inexpensive tux.)

My husband always wears his mess dress on formal nights when we cruise - he is Royal Air Force, and I am quite proud when people come up and shake his hand:). Like someone earlier says he has earned his medals and is proud to wear his mess dress.

By all means do encourage him to wear his mess dress but be advised both of will not be left alone. Unlike when I proudly wore our country's uniform, you will be surrounded by appreciative pax who want to let you know how much both his service and your sacrifice as spouse has meant to us all.

harry

I was on an Alaskan cruise that had a large group onboard for a Canadian Air Force unit reunion. On formal nights many wore their mess dress uniforms, some with a kilt variation. Very attractive.

I don't recall ever wearing my mess dress uniform outside of a USAF base officer's mess. Wasn't cruising at that time and it wouldn't be proper for me to wear it now, long removed from that status (and the uniform doesn't fit anyway):D.

[and the term is mess dress, not dress mess]

As an army brat from way back I have always loved the mess kit. I have some wonderful pictures of my father in his and he always looked great. It beats a tuxedo hands down anytime. I remember pre formal evening cocktail parties at the house when all the men were there in mess kits---just a sea of red. They all looked so handsome.

[and the term is mess dress, not dress mess]

Dress right, dress! in your mess dress!

Hansen%20Ball%202006-r.jpg

USMC

MarineCorpsBall2006.jpg

USMC NCO

800px-USAF_Mess_Dress.jpg

USAF Officers & NCO

WOI_DANBERRY.jpg

U.S. Army Officer & NCO

1864306016_e7b2c1e44c.jpg?v=0

U.S. Navy

DocDisaster.jpg

U.S. Navy NCO

On our Crown Princess cruise there was a retired Marine Lt. Col. in his mess dress uniform. He and his wife were a class act. Wear the uniform.

Is it the Marine officer or enlisted man whose dress uniform includes a sword? Would the person be considered "out of uniform" if they did not wear it?:confused:

Archived