Norwegian EPIC'S profile revealed

[g]cruiserke

• Administrators
Funny how people's opinion differ. I LOVE the hull art on NCL's ships. Absolutely love it.

CG

I agree with you on that. Nope, hull art isn't "traditional ocean liner" stuff -- but neither is a poolside hairy chest contest and a ton of other stuff leisure cruises do which have NOTHING in common with "ocean liners." I love HAL's traditional dark blue/white scheme, and the classic silhouettes their ships offer -- but I also like the "kick" of Carnival's "whale tail" stack -- and I like the distinctive, colorful hull art on NCL's ships. Personally, I choose a cruise based on itinerary and price, in that order. I don't give a rat's heinie hair what anybody else thinks of my choice in ships.

PS That said, this one still is tough to take from the outside -- I expect she will be a lot more pleasing from onboard!

After a couple of gin/tonics.:eek:

Even that didn't help. :D It is really, really an ugly ship.

I'm with you Doc. I thoroughly enjoy a gin and tonic now and again (and again and again ;)). But, even after a double tonight, she still really is ugly.

But, on the flip side, lots of us said the same thing about the Pride of America. And, she's still sailing strong and actually beginning to grow on me. So, if the price is right and the port is not far, maybe, just maybe......

After a couple of gin/tonics.:eek:

Even that didn't help. :D It is really, really an ugly ship.

I'm with you Doc. I thoroughly enjoy a gin and tonic now and again (and again and again ;)). But, even after a double tonight, she still really is ugly.

No, No, No... You two are doing it all wrong.. You gotta get your Beer Goggles on to appreciate her beauty!

For some reason she reminds me of a recent movie I saw...

"The Curious case of Benjamin Button"

But she will be a one of a kind ship and in this day of cookie cutter ships, everyone will recognize her.

Thinking about movies....Elephant Man comes to mind as well.

Oh Well!

She's not that ugly if you take the hat off of her. In fact, the picture of the side of her, isn't that bad, but that one that is taken from the front?????? Ugh.

Betcha though that the hat has some very cool cabins up there and those that stay in the hat will love it! :)

CG

She's not that ugly if you take the hat off of her. In fact, the picture of the side of her, isn't that bad, but that one that is taken from the front?????? Ugh.

Betcha though that the hat has some very cool cabins up there and those that stay in the hat will love it! :)

CG

So on Epic, it'll be AFT or HAT.

With all the hype that has surrounded this ship, I was expecting something awesomely beautiful. Instead, I see something awsomely BLEEEEEEHH!!

Who designed this ship? It looks like it had to stop suddenly and everything slid violently forward. The hull art should be police crime tape....:eek:

LOL.. Oh C'MON people... It's not that bad.. It's like a ship... with a hat.

Who doesn't love a hat?

Oh, thank you thank you thank you, AWinkler for that huge laugh. DH came in to see what I was guffawing about.

Now and forevermore, that top part will be The Hat to me .... lolol ...

Although the exterior design of many of the large new ships is not very attractive, this ship truly reaches a new low. If it weren't for the huge structure over the bridge and the small (and unusual) funnels, the ship's appearance would not be worse than most of the new ships. However, these two design elements are extremely unattractive.

Wait a minute, the ship has funnels? Sorry, couldn't get over that, um, thing on top of the front of the ship. I mean, I realize modern cruise ship design is far more about function than aesthetics, but come one, there's gotta be a limit somewhere, doesn't there?

I have to admit, I'll probably be one of those laughing when I see it coming into port. I just don't see that I'll be able to stop myself. I'm sure the inside will be fine, but it's hard to take the outside seriously. That said, I hope I do see it someday, because it's definitely differently looking.

I hope that NCL executives aren't regular readers of Cruise Critic.;) If the above posts reflect the reaction of avid NCL fans, those executives have to wonder what they were thinking when they approved this design. It now makes sense that the ship will be one of a kind. One thing to realize is that while you are onboard you will be spared the views of this butt-ugly ship that will cause cruisers on other ships to look at her with amazement (to put it as nicely as I can). One can only wonder if all of the changes that caused the near cancellation of this ship and killed off subsequent versions, were an improvement from the original design. If so, I shudder to think what would have emerged had they not made the changes.:rolleyes:

Sad thing about Epic is, if it weren't for that "hat" and those funnels, she would be a nice looking ship. She has a great looking bow and the rest of her superstructure is attractive.

Even a slight re-arrangement of the top above the bridge would help a little...

big_epic_profile_edited.jpg

Not only would that increase the number of suites above the bridge, it also provides some balance and helps offset the unusually high placement of two very small funnels.

So they took the Garden Villa section and moved it forward for a sea view instead of the pool deck view. I am not digging the design too much, I will try her one day though and I know I will have a blast.

I am booked on the Oasis and I am so excited about that one, I know there will be a lot of people, but there are also a lot of cool things on Oasis.

HoopTroop

Looks like they took a leftover Fantasia and bought some closeout funnels from OverstockFunnels.com, but they were too small and didn't have a return policy, so they built a giant steel box to put them on...

...then took the newish top decks off the old Norway, chopped them in two and stacked them on top in front.

Here's your new hull art:

bcp012027.jpg

..as well as the ship's designer:

terry%20the%20viking.preview.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlalena1 viewpost.gif

LOLLLLL!!!!! I am embarrassed to sail into a port wearing HULL ART- thankfully, out of four NCL sailings it's only been twice- but this????

Funny how people's opinion differ. I LOVE the hull art on NCL's ships. Absolutely love it.

CG

I LOVE the hull art, too! It makes the ships easier to identify from a distance, is pleasing to come "home" to at the end of a port day, and makes collecting ship items more fun because of the different art of each ship.

I also LOVE the cool paintings on the exterior walls of the ships. They make strolling the decks even more interesting, and the paintings are nicely done.

Hideous. Is the first and only word I can think of.

Just think, you can pay to sail on one of the worst ship designs at sea and then pay more to get nickeled and dimed once aboard. Sounds fun!

No thank you NCL!

Such a shame... Heard you were on the exclusive invitation list for Epic's inaugural cruise.. They are really gonna miss you.

Oh well.. Their loss.

Let's look on the positive side all of us NCL supporters, at least will be able to find the ship in a busy port! When ashore with other cruiseline passengers we will be famous for arriving in "that ship"! We will know the second stack is just for the diesel engine that powers the cooling for the ice bar.

Those of us who are up in the new Courtyard complex up front way above the bridge will be delighted everytime the horn is blown, should clear our ear wax! Assuming of course the wind doesn't.

We can be confident that the move away from azipod manouverability will not be a worry to such a sleek design, especially as the lifeboats look so aerodynamically designed hanging out there, presumably for quick release!

NCL has always been at the leading edge in the cruise experience, and let's all admit that a part of us will want to experience the ugly duckling that could be a swan.

I don't think it looks so bad; definitely an improvement over the Pride of America in my opinion. The funnels are kind of strange looking, but maybe they will look better when it is finished. I do think that the people in the courtyard villa complex might be a little seasick with the side-to-side motion from being at the top of the ship AND the up-down motion from being at the very front.

I also think it is telling that on the RCI boards there are hundreds of people getting very excited about Oasis and on these boards there seems to be mostly negativity towards the Epic. That's not a critique of these boards, just a trend I noticed that I hope NCL gets worked out before the ship debuts.

Archived