Charges for wine and cocktails

Hans1

On our recent MS Amsterdam cruise cocktails were $ 6.50 + 15% tip.

Bottles of wine ranged between something like $ 22 to several hundreds (+ 15% again). The wines I knew were heavily overpriced (eg. a simple Chablis by Latour for $ 49) yet I do not know if this applies to American or Australian etc. wines as it does to European ones.

Corkage fee was $ 18 (tip included).

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The corkage fee went up -- from $15 to $18.

But Stholi's on the rocks which we order during cocktail hour is still $5.50 -- have been paying that for quite some time. Grey Goose is still $6.75.

A bottle of Stholi's for our cabin is still $26 a bottle -- plus 15% gratuity. This hasn't gone up in several years.

Wine -- HAL's prices have always been high -- we had a bi discussion on this some time ago.

Hello, we are cruise "virgins", going on the Westerdam the end of May on Alaskan cruise.

Regarding the alcohol discussed in this thread, have a couple of questions:

1- The "house pourings" purchased on the card are full size glasses or just a bit?

2- If we don'tfinish a bottle that we have prepurchased in a Navigator package, can we bring it back to our room or is it just for consumption in the dining room?

3- If we pre-order the "bon voyage" champage/wine, is that a whole standard size bottle or mini bottles? The website says it is $21.45, which is a fairly good price for a full standard size bottle.

Thanks so much, there is so much we have already learned by reading the posts on this site!

the biggest thing HAL has going for it is allowing us to bring our wine on and drink it in our cabin, otherwise thier prices are about the same as any line. I think they are all a little pricey, so what do I do? Drink it anyway and bitch to myself..

NIta

I actually spoke to someone at HAL today because I wasn't sure of the Bon Voyage prices - I thought that might be for a glass or two only. I was told that it is actually for a full bottle of wine - wasn't too sure about the champagne - the person I spoke to was uncelar about that. Apparently, the wine steward uses the Bon Voyage offer to clear out wines that he/she has overstocked and wants to sell off before taking new wines on board in port. I hope that's helpful.

If anyone knows about the champagne, I'd like to know as I might just order one of those instead!:)

We have cocktail hour before dinner each evening and the prices do not seem unreasonable by the drink. Sometimes we catch the end of happy hour and I order two martinis for the price of one - nice deal. The wines are a bit pricey and the choices are limited. Sometimes they will knock off some on the wines and then it is more reasonable, depends on the wine sommolier. I believe in summary that considering the prices we have paid at resorts in the Caribbean, the HAL prices are not unreasonable.

harry

Archived