Why dont more single mature men cruise???

bobbisailsolo

My first dozen cruises (at ages 58 - 69) were as a single. Finally met my new wife (ashore) and now cruise as a couple. I always had a good time - but generally found that mature single women were generally either too aggressive or too withdrawn.

If cruise lines put just a bit more effort into making a good meeting environment, singles cruising would be much better for both men and women.

• 2 weeks later...

If cruise lines put just a bit more effort into making a good meeting environment, singles cruising would be much better for both men and women.

I think most singles are in agreement that the cruiselines do a really poor job at setting up a good environment for singles to meet. This is something that should be so easy for the Cruise Director staff to do.

I have done a couple of cruises alone and several with a friend-different friends- to cut the cost of the cabin. My favorite as a single person was the cruise on RCCL where they had a singles luncheon. The table was quite full and I met many people that I ended up doing trivia games and excursions with. My Alaska cruise I was solo and ended up seated by CCL at a table with 3 others who were solo. We ended up having a great time together and again booked excursions together and just had a lot of fun. However, I did a solo on Princess last November and went to the singles meet n greet the first nite..there were 7 of us solo/single ladies there and the cruise host. He did ask men coming in if they were single but that was the only effort made. However, we did get free, if not the best, champagn.

I really think the roll calls on here are the best way to find out if theres other single on your cruise. I am going on the Epic 10/9 and so far, no single men that I can remember have joined the forum. I know there are several single ladies. But there are also a lot of my friends going so it will be a lot of fun. I have also booked a repositioning cruise for next yr on the same ship(no single supplement in the studio) and it would be nice to have some male companionship during the long cruise....if only for the funny point of views men have!:D

When I have looked at the agency singles cruises they are much more expensive than sailing solo needs to be. I can't see paying that much more for the activities that you can do yourself...if you can find someone to do it with you even better. :)

My first dozen cruises (at ages 58 - 69) were as a single. Finally met my new wife (ashore) and now cruise as a couple. I always had a good time - but generally found that mature single women were generally either too aggressive or too withdrawn.

lol, you can't win.

Either the women or too aggressive or too withdrawn. Just like goldilocks I guess. :D:D:D

HI Mark,

What a great idea!! Carnival B2B. I usually cruise with RCL (9 times so far), but 5/24 am trying Princess out of Red Hook, NY. I have been looking at Carnival for 11/23 out of New York. You are right. For what I pay to cruise RCL in 9 days, I could go on 2 cruises with Carnival for a little more $$: category 1A. The only reason I have hesitated to go with Carnival is I have "heard" that it is a lot of "kids". However, you are motivating me to at least try Carnival and I am seriously considering 11/23/09 out of New York. Guess Carnival is not so bad if you have cruised with them several times. I may give them a "whirl".

Happy Cruising to all you solos,

I love cruising, so peaceful relaxing, fun, fun, fun, and the fantasy of it all!!!

NewJersey222;):)

Marie

I'm with you. I cruise with RCL because of the low kid factor. There are several people I fly with that swear RC vs Carn, because of the low kid factor.

I am new to single sailing.

My gf, Lisa, and I went in january for a 5 day cruise out of Mobile Alabama on the Carnival Fantasy. WE had a good time but the only M&G was the first night in the disco and there were about 8 of us uncoupled. 6 women and 2 men. Not very good odds at getting to meet and have some fun.

The others were coupled in other ways. 2 married couples, 2 lesbian couples, and 3 1/2 gay men couples.

Everyone we met was nice but it would have been nicer to have found someone to share a drink with, some dinner conversation or something. My friend got sick Thursday night and then all day friday I was on my own to find stuff to do.

I am good at doing things alone but would have loved to have had someone to share time with.

I am looking forward to my next cruise cause it is hosted by my TA and they are planning singles activites for our 7 days on the Epic. I got me a studio cabin and can't wait to go.

Hoping to meet some people before we get there so I know someone before I board that big big ship.

Grace

Hi, I've been on over 22 cruises with CCL and RCC and have meet some single ladies on some and I think that alot of single ladies think that a man on a cruise is with someone. That is not the case. It is a two street, ladies not every man is married or with someone, on your next cruise you will be able to tell the singles.

Leaving this Fri the 26th 3 night to the Bahamas, RCC, Monarch of the seas.

Regards

Male 49 single and love to Cruise.

Hi singles & solos,

I have been reading this thread for a while and thought I would say hello. I try to take at least one cruise a year two when I am able. With the exception of a Holiday cruise I took my Mother on I have always traveled alone. Can't say I like it but I always enjoy it I used to stress on the single sailor thing but I have learned how to go with the flow with no expectations and have had many more pleasant experiences than not. In short it is what you make of it.

Oh BTW I am so happy NCL has embraced the solo cruiser with studio cabins!! I booked next Holidays on the NCL EPIC & am so excited!! :D

I seem to see the total opposite as you. I consider myself a middle age man (48) and don't really meet many single woman around my age on the cruises that I go on. I tend to meet a lot of couples and younger people which is fine with me because I'm not looking to hook-up or anything. I always have a great time and meet a lot of great people which is the reason that I go on a cruise.

I agree...I am 43 and you meet people who are usually married, or very young. Life happens and I always meet great people and have fun. The point of the vacation is to relax and have fun. It is not the dating game.

I agree...I am 43 and you meet people who are usually married, or very young. Life happens and I always meet great people and have fun. The point of the vacation is to relax and have fun. It is not the dating game.

It may not be the dating game but when you are traveling wouldn't you like to find someone to dance with when you go to the club. The singles meet and greet I went to on my last cruise I found very few singles, mostly women, at the singles meet and greet. Later around the ship the single men seemed to be in their 20's .

luv2cruise67....I just noticed you sailed on the Valor in 2008. When did you sail? I sailed the Valor end of march 2008, was the second cruise on the Valor for me. I have not met many many singles while cruising, but with 7 out the past 9 crusies my daughter was with me...not blaming her though because she actually encourage me to attend the singles into gatherings, which I did not. I am booked on the Carnival Dream for May 15, 2010 and have become part of a growing group of Cruise Critic member in a group. This will help, but this time I will at least attend these singles gatherings.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I came across this forum while browsing the NCL area so I thought I would chime in and say hi. This will be my first ever cruise and I’m going as a single! Doesn’t that sound like the opening of one of those recovery meetings? Lol I just turned a very young and not so mature at times 50 and Im not in a relationship and was in dire need of a vacation so …voila…..cruise time.

I’ll be going on the brand spanking new Norwegian Epic. If you didn’t know they have inside “studio” staterooms with NO single supplement. I am fortunate enough that I could afford a fancy room with all the amenities but I figure for my first cruise I’ll hardly be in my room so why pay extra?

I’m going to relax, have some fun, try not to burn my Midwestern white legs and if fate calls perhaps meet some nice folks, preferably of the female persuasion and not wearing a hockey mask and wielding an axe. J

My cruise isn’t until June but I’ll be glad to come back and give you my impressions of the single Studio’s and the single atmosphere on the ship.

Cheers, Colin

Hi everyone. I came across this forum while browsing the NCL area so I thought I would chime in and say hi. This will be my first ever cruise and I’m going as a single! Doesn’t that sound like the opening of one of those recovery meetings? Lol I just turned a very young and not so mature at times 50 and Im not in a relationship and was in dire need of a vacation so …voila…..cruise time.

I’ll be going on the brand spanking new Norwegian Epic. If you didn’t know they have inside “studio” staterooms with NO single supplement. I am fortunate enough that I could afford a fancy room with all the amenities but I figure for my first cruise I’ll hardly be in my room so why pay extra?

I’m going to relax, have some fun, try not to burn my Midwestern white legs and if fate calls perhaps meet some nice folks, preferably of the female persuasion and not wearing a hockey mask and wielding an axe. J

My cruise isn’t until June but I’ll be glad to come back and give you my impressions of the single Studio’s and the single atmosphere on the ship.

Cheers, Colin

Colin,

Look forward to hearing how your cruise goes. I am going on the Epic in October and will be staying in a studio.

I am also, nearing a young 50 and of the single persuasion.

thanks,

Grace

I have been on several cruises but none since 99. I Am now 62, single, and booked on Carnival Glory, next February..I have no problem taking cruises but can not seem to interest any of my male friends. Looking forward to meeting new people and having some fun.

I will be leaving on Super Bowl Sunday, so I am hoping there will be a few single women aboard...

Have traveled many places solo, never had any problems. Best trip was to the great wall outside of Beijing..

Have a great day, everyone.

Ryan, I dont mean to sound negitive or in any way discourage someone from traveling solo, but I sometimes feels like the coupled passangers are somewhat threatened by the single/solo cruiser. do you ever pick up that vibe? Of course I dont let that bother me, and I have met some absolutely wonderful people as well. Its just that whenever someone "advertises" on these boards for people to share their private tours, they really arent just looking for 1 person. Other than that, I prefer to cruise alone. I guess I just like my own space... lol. I think its a little more of an adventure when you travel alone as well.. you just never know what to expect. I leave in 2 weeks for a week in spain.. Can't wait!!!!

Barb

• 2 weeks later...

This thread reminds me of an exchange from an old Sex and the City episode in which one of the girlfriends wonders why gay men are in such better shape than straight men. Miss Carrie replies" That's because gay men know there's a chance of having sex at the gym, if straight men knew that, they'd be working out all the time"

Same with cruising, IMHO...If mature gentlemen knew how many lovely ladies they could meet on a cruise, they'd be lined up at the port all the time.

ps. One way to spot the singles is check the photo gallery for the boarding photos!

sailin'sam, you have it exactly right, except "if single guys could actually meet ladies, they'd be lined up at the port". A few months ago on this thread, tidenik and I agreed we always end up sitting alone in lounges. Most of the single women always say "not looking for a hook-up". So what do you have to offer? Speaking from my own experience, if a woman did actually show up in the lounge, she wouldn't be able to walk up a single flight of stairs without puffing, couldn't find the "1" beat if it came up and bit her, and would show up for dancing wearing flip-flops! I don't claim I'm anything special- I'm not particularly good looking, I don't make much money and I'm not good at telling women what they want to hear- but I have put some effort into learning to dance. Hasn't done me a lot of good.

sailin'sam, you have it exactly right, except "if single guys could actually meet ladies, they'd be lined up at the port". A few months ago on this thread, tidenik and I agreed we always end up sitting alone in lounges. Most of the single women always say "not looking for a hook-up". So what do you have to offer? Speaking from my own experience, if a woman did actually show up in the lounge, she wouldn't be able to walk up a single flight of stairs without puffing, couldn't find the "1" beat if it came up and bit her, and would show up for dancing wearing flip-flops! I don't claim I'm anything special- I'm not particularly good looking, I don't make much money and I'm not good at telling women what they want to hear- but I have put some effort into learning to dance. Hasn't done me a lot of good.

Well dancer Bob I showed up for dancing in my sandals cause I can't wear dancing shoes anymore and the single mixer on our first night was a bunch of couples of mixed genders. (the cute guys were with cute guys if you know what I mean) I ended up dancing with the waiters who were not afraid at all to dance with a lively , less than drunk , fluffy female just looking for a good time. I sure would have liked to have found a nice man to dance with throughout my cruise and then especially when my lady friend got sick 1 1/2 days before the end of the cruise I would not have had to eat alone.

We single ladies are out there I just don't know how we hook up with you single nice gentlemen?!!

Grace

Maybe we're all a little on the shy side. If we were at a nightclub in a big city and we cast our lines and came up empty we'd say "Oh well, wrong cologne", but on a ship if you are shot down (especially at the onset) you are going to run into that person all week. I guarantee they'll be on every elevator ride with you. So Boys; faint heart never won fair maiden and Ladies; shoes are not as important as smiles. Let's Dance!!

Ms.Sailin'sam

Forgot to mention earlier- for the single women who want a really good male-female ratio, the recent clothing-optional cruise to Hawaii was about 5:1- that's normal for these cruises. If you added the gays and TV's it was closer to 10:1- and most of the women seemed more eager to dance with the gays than the straight guys. And there were a lot of people dressed all the time. You wouldn't have felt out of place, if you wanted to play the "I'm shy" game.

I am an older guy and I do cruises but I had the same issues on my first cruise: no one who was single to cruise with and difficulty finding the single women who were on that ship. There are mature single men who cruise and there are 2 wonderful companies that specialize in singles cruises. You can find information by searching the web but they offer large groups of singles and offer a different type of cruise almost every month. I like to cruise over Halloween as it tends to

be the biggest trip of the year and great fun. As a single guy I always meet single women and meet up with friends from previous trips. They offer dance classes, Speed Meet, Battle of the Sexes trivia games, casual breakfast gatherings, theme nights, cocktail parties...you can do as much or as little as you want. I didn't post the name of the companies here and I don't work for them but have always had a great time cruising with them and always meet great people. There are

TONS of single, mature available men on these types of cruises so I recommend considering them.

Archived