"Hypothetically" ...

MikeNJ1109

... has anyone anecdotally heard of individuals *successfully* bringing Cuban cigars home with them after a cruise?

"Hypothetically", of course ... <grin> ... and I am NOT suggesting that anyone would deliberately violate the United States trade embargo against Cuba.

However I have heard banter over the years that it used to be 'hit or miss', but that US Customs have "generally" overlooked cruise ship passengers returning from places like Bahamas (which has diplomatic relations with Cuba).

Any thoughts?

Michael

... has anyone anecdotally heard of individuals *successfully* bringing Cuban cigars home with them after a cruise?

"Hypothetically", of course ... <grin> ... and I am NOT suggesting that anyone would deliberately violate the United States trade embargo against Cuba.

However I have heard banter over the years that it used to be 'hit or miss', but that US Customs have "generally" overlooked cruise ship passengers returning from places like Bahamas (which has diplomatic relations with Cuba).

Any thoughts?

Michael

All you have to do it pop the rings off. And now their Dominicans ;)

How would they even know you had them? Coming back from Costa Rica they had dogs sniffing our bags in Miami etc. so that may have presented a problem.

After the cruise out of Miami, The customs at the port was 2 guys behind a podium and the airport was the same as any other.

Most of the time it is not really a problem with many of the cigar stores at the ports selling bogus Cubans. They already changed the rings :D

The Ultimate Counterfeit

Cuban Cigar Primer

from

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/index.html

How can I Spot a Fake Cuban Cigar?

from

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-spot-a-fake-cuban-cigar.htm

On some cruise we were on someone was saying how they did it was they would buy, say a dozen, cuban cigars and then buy a dozen of some other kind. They would take the bands off of the cubans and replace the bands with the cheapo other dozen bands they had bought. They would then place the cuban bands inbetween the pages of a book they were taking home, then they threw away the cheapo cigars. Once they got back home, they took the cheapo bands off the cuban cigars and put the orginal bands back on that where brought home safe and sound in the book.

My thoughts when we heard this guy say how he did it was how sad. He didn't care at all about the quality of the cigar.. all he cared about was having the bands so his buddys could see he had cuban cigars. Otherwise why would he care so much he got the bands home. Maybe that is something only cigar smokers would understand...

Apart from many Cuban cigars in the Caribbean being fakes anyway and not worth smoking they are often grossly overpriced.

In Nassau, not one of my favorite ports now, used to be nice but now awful, one of my favorite mass market Cuban cigars, genuine and made in Cuba, never seen a fake, is Guantanemeras Cristalles.

They cost 5 times as much in Nassau as they do in Portugal, another place we often stop at on transatlantics.

I won't pay it,I'd rather go without, theyare $10 each instead of $2.But I am sure many do. Nassau in particular is a tourist trap.

I don't think the Customs sniffer dogs are trained to detect Cuban cigars, or cigars at all. They are only interested in drugs or fruit or meat, depending on the dog and the port.

FYI the new President has signed a Bill putting a 40c federal excise duty on each large cigar, commencing 1st April. Proceeds are meant to end up in a children's health care fund. And I believe, though I am not a cigarette smoker, 61c extra per pack of 20 cigarettes, and other new/raised tobacco taxes.

George W would not sign it off.

Make what you like of it, I have no opinion as to the politics or rights and wrongs of it.

My caveat to you is this:

It might actually be really difficult to prove you violated the trade embargo. In fact, in can often be practically impossible. BUT when I was a lowly little lawstudent at University of Miami, I worked as a law clerk in a firm. We represented people who, among other things, had been tried and convicted of violating the trade embargo with Cuba.

The consequences if caught are severe even if the chances of getting caught are small to miniscule.

I was a customs officer for 3 years and I'm going to highly suggest not doing it. If you get caught your record will be ruined for about 8 years (at least it would be on the canadian side). Take it from me, I've made it happen and it's not worth it.

I was a customs officer for 3 years and I'm going to highly suggest not doing it. If you get caught your record will be ruined for about 8 years (at least it would be on the canadian side). Take it from me, I've made it happen and it's not worth it.

Hardly something to boast about IMHO but I am slightly mystified as I didn't know Canada had a trade embargo against Cuba.

Apart from many Cuban cigars in the Caribbean being fakes anyway and not worth smoking they are often grossly overpriced.

In Nassau, not one of my favorite ports now, used to be nice but now awful, one of my favorite mass market Cuban cigars, genuine and made in Cuba, never seen a fake, is Guantanemeras Cristalles.

They cost 5 times as much in Nassau as they do in Portugal, another place we often stop at on transatlantics.

I won't pay it,I'd rather go without, theyare $10 each instead of $2.But I am sure many do. Nassau in particular is a tourist trap.

I don't think the Customs sniffer dogs are trained to detect Cuban cigars, or cigars at all. They are only interested in drugs or fruit or meat, depending on the dog and the port.

FYI the new President has signed a Bill putting a 40c federal excise duty on each large cigar, commencing 1st April. Proceeds are meant to end up in a children's health care fund. And I believe, though I am not a cigarette smoker, 61c extra per pack of 20 cigarettes, and other new/raised tobacco taxes.

George W would not sign it off.

Make what you like of it, I have no opinion as to the politics or rights and wrongs of it.

Well, I had heard from the local retailer they would be going up AGAIN on April 1st but had not heard how much. Thanks for the warning. I'll stock up before then. I paid almost $20 for 3 packs today. Gotta love the man, huh??

IF Castro dies do you think we will be able to legally get cigars from Cuba. And also cruise to Cuba?

This is probably against CC rules for me to post this, but I'm going to anyway.. they can delete it if it is. I'm almost 45 yo and to tell you the truth, I have no idea why we have the embargo against Cuba anyway. Granted I do not stay up with politics like I should, but why not just drop the whole thing anyway. That way maybe it would save some of the lives of the Cubans that try to come to this country via small boats, etc.

I did it many years ago. I wrapped them up in something and just put them in my suitcase. I was in my 20s and didn't really think of the consiquences if caught. I figured they would just confiscate them. It was about 15 years ago so I was probably right at the time. I gave them to my brothers when I got home and they proceeded to lecture me and yell at me about how I could have been arrested. They did, however, smoke the cigars... :)

This is probably against CC rules for me to post this, but I'm going to anyway.. they can delete it if it is. I'm almost 45 yo and to tell you the truth, I have no idea why we have the embargo against Cuba anyway. Granted I do not stay up with politics like I should, but why not just drop the whole thing anyway. That way maybe it would save some of the lives of the Cubans that try to come to this country via small boats, etc.

LOL I don't know why it's there, I don't understand what it's about, but maybe if we do away with the embargo, it will save lives. You gotta love that logic.

Pretty sneaky way to hijack a thread.

LOL I don't know why it's there, I don't understand what it's about, but maybe if we do away with the embargo, it will save lives. You gotta love that logic.

I think you're reading waaayyy too much into his post. I know Terry, and he doesn't have an agenda.

I went on a cruise with a friend last year and then bought the cigars, wrapped them in clean socks, and put them between two picture frames they bought and never go stopped. Earlier this year my brother did the same and was fine.

Although you are completely wrong.. I do want to thank you for thinking I am more clever than I actually am.. LOL.. it was a legit posting. I know because of this relationship we have with Cuba that their citizens that wish to immagrate to the US can't do it through normal channels so they sneak over on boats, many of them losing their lives in the process. Thats what I was thinking of. Maybe if we changed our relationship with Cuba, that wouldn't happen.

Archived