Is RCCL really worth $1,000 more than Carnival?

robmab

I'm Diamond on RCCL, and have been on 3 Carnival ships. I prefer RCCL slightly, but find that entertainment, activities, and food are better now on the newer Carnival ships. There is not $1000 of difference. I may pay $50-100 more per person for RCCL, but that's about it.

We, too, are torn between RCI Serenade of the Seas(2/13/10) and Carnival Victory(2/14/10) both sailing out of San Juan on a 7 day very similar Southern Caribbean itinerary. We have sailed on Carnival 9 times(when kids were teenagers) and on RCI AOS just this past February(also out of San Juan). I want to point out that the sailing week in February I mentioned is a major school vacation week(at least in New England). The difference in price between Carnival and RCI is approximately $1400.00. I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every cruise. It would be a "no brainer" to go with Carnival because of the price difference. But I am torn because we no longer sail with teenage boys in tow, and I am afraid with school vacation week taking place it just may be a bit too wild(middle of the night hall running and screaming, overly crowded pool areas, etc., etc.) Please let me know your opinions. Has anyone sailed the Victory recently? What was your experience? What shape is the ship in. THANKS

Just returned at the first of the month. Did Freedom with Royal, a four night with Carnival Imagination and then a l0 night Jewel of the Seas. As far as customer service, there were six of us sailing together, we couldn't

wait to get back to Royal. We tried it and never will again.

I noticed that the OP is from Dallas. We are too. We are sailing on spring break on the Independence leaving from Fort Lauderdale. Yes, driving to Galveston would be way more convenient, BUT I never could get a good price on any RCI cruises leaving out of Texas. I'm sure it is a supply and demand thing!

So, I checked on FL departures and we saved money on the cruise... we do have to fly but used AA miles. If you have to pay for airfare, DFW to Florida airfare is usually pretty reasonable .

Even if we had paid for the airfare, we still would of come out cheaper AND we get the itinerary we want on the new Freedom class ship!!

I've never been on Carnival so I can't comment on the comparison...

BUT if you really want to cruise RCI try another port.;)

Just returned at the first of the month. Did Freedom with Royal, a four night with Carnival Imagination and then a l0 night Jewel of the Seas. As far as customer service, there were six of us sailing together, we couldn't

wait to get back to Royal. We tried it and never will again.

Even though my choice is RC and I see you have also done plenty yourself, Carnival Imagination is one of the older/smaller Carnival ships and no comparison to the ships you have been on, plus it was a four nighter. You can't apples to oranges.

Friday the 13th: Having just gotten off the Navigator on Monday (sigh), I recognized the picture you posted of the rug in the elevator. Do they do that on all ships, or just Voyager class? On the second day, my daughter noticed it and said "Friday???" I pointed out it was the day of the week. Too funny!

Also, we were on the same NCL Gem trip out of Boston on 12/15/07. Wasn't that an experience?

Just curious, but when the OP asks for a comparison between Carnival and Royal, I don't understand people who say "well, I've never cruised Carnival but...." It's like the people who take the time to call or email in response to a survey and reply "I don't know." Huh??? :)

They had the days of the week on the Radiance too. OMG, that Gem trip was unbelievable! We got an upsell to a Courtyard Villa. While it was really nice there is no way I would ever spend that much money. I would like to sail on the Gem (or a sister ship) because we really missed seeing a lot of stuff. What we did see I thought was great. I will say that the buffet area was definitely lacking table space.

How was the Navigator? I almost booked a couple weeks ago for next week but it didn't work out.

I like the Voyager ... the promenade, the ice rink, and the concierge room ... but I would not spend $1,000 more for her because so far, I've never been onboard a Carnival ship and said ... wow, I wish there was somewhere onboard I could go today to spend over $100 to have more brass, wood paneling, and sports activities.

The age of the ship has nothing to do with customer service. Apples to oranges, customer service speaks big time. We were contacted as soon as we got on about changing our handicapped room with a 90 year old woman in a wheelchair who hadn't even been able to access her room since getting on the ship. We had no idea the room was wheelchair accessible and had been assigned to us by Carnival. The woman's children had contacted Carnival three weeks before and they were told no problem. She would be in an accessible room. Well no problem for Carnival. We went to the desk immediately, there was a huge lineup and I spoke with someone in uniform who told me get in line. I explained to him that the woman was sitting in the hallway asleep and he again told me to stand in line. We went back to our room, called the purser's desk and were told to come down again. We were put in touch at the desk with the people, made the room change and by this time the woman had woke up and could not even access her own bathroom to go to the bathroom. They did all their own luggage removal and when we found ours at nine o'clock that night in front of another door on another deck we had to move ours also. Six of us booked together and only four of us got the early seating for dinner. The head waiter said sorry, we're full. Something you would at least be given some consideration about on RCI. I'm sure he wanted his hand padded for the change. Our table was changed the next night and then we found out that this table had been totally empty the night before. Old ship, poor customer service and thank you Royal Carribean for making us feel like you appreciate our business. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is ours. We will never go back.

It's been a long time since we sailed Carnival but for $1000 difference, we would give them another try. Actually we are seriously considering giving Carnival another try for a $500 difference. We have a choice of extremely similar itineraries on Liberty OTS and the new Carnival Dream Jan, 2010. The brand spanking new Carnival Dream is $500 less than Liberty of The Seas. Same type of cabin, very similar itinerary, sailing one day apart.

Geeeez, I hate this...

We are booked on the Freedom of the Seas in July. Western Caribbean. We have 2 rooms booked, 1 balcony and 1 interior. Total price: $5,459.20 (US) for 4 people. Yes, that's expensive, but we really want to try RCI, and really want to try the Freedom of the Seas, and most inportantly, really want to go to Labadee. The itinerary is best, IMO: Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen, Cozumel).

Now, Carnival Glory also sails out of Canaveral and does Western Caribbean. The itinerary not as good, IMO (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Naussau). But, the rooms are bigger... (185 sq ft) on Carnival. The price? $3,360.44 for 4 of us. Yes, that's 2 rooms.. a balcony (no, it's not obstructed) and an inside room. That's a $2,100 difference. In fact, I could book my wife and I in a Cat 11 suite on the Glory, and still be saving $1,100 for 4 of us.

Really.. I want to sail RCI, but come on... I've got some soul searching to do. If we keep the same budget, we can spend a pile of money on dream excursions if we go Carnival. I've sailed them twice.. on their small old ships, and we LOVED it.

Geeeez, I hate this...

We are booked on the Freedom of the Seas in July. Western Caribbean. We have 2 rooms booked, 1 balcony and 1 interior. Total price: $5,459.20 (US) for 4 people. Yes, that's expensive, but we really want to try RCI, and really want to try the Freedom of the Seas, and most inportantly, really want to go to Labadee. The itinerary is best, IMO: Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen, Cozumel).

Now, Carnival Glory also sails out of Canaveral and does Western Caribbean. The itinerary not as good, IMO (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Naussau). But, the rooms are bigger... (185 sq ft) on Carnival. The price? $3,360.44 for 4 of us. Yes, that's 2 rooms.. a balcony (no, it's not obstructed) and an inside room. That's a $2,100 difference. In fact, I could book my wife and I in a Cat 11 suite on the Glory, and still be saving $1,100 for 4 of us.

Really.. I want to sail RCI, but come on... I've got some soul searching to do. If we keep the same budget, we can spend a pile of money on dream excursions if we go Carnival. I've sailed them twice.. on their small old ships, and we LOVED it.

That's a LOT of money to save. BUT, Think about this... how are you going to feel if you sail Freedom and a hurricane changes your itinerary and you miss the port of Labadee? It is a possibility. Or... how would you feel if you were dissapointed in Labadee for some reason after spending so much more? Is this Freedom cruise more about the ports or the ship itself, because in July there is no guarantee that the weather will allow the captain to sail the intended itinerary. I would advise summertime cruisers to make the decision based on the ship. Would you be happy to be on either ship if weather changes your itinerary? If so, save the money. ;)

I have only sailed Princess and Carnival. They are both nice, we like nice things and get them. The newer, larger ships are good. The inside cabins are not worth as much as the balcony, but if the cruise is port intensive, who cares. We will pay more for the balcony on the itinerary that calls for a balcony. We spend most time in the cabin showering, getting ready for something, and sleeping. The bedding on Carnival is very good, like a Ritz Carlton, nice down comforters, and nice thick robes. The breakfast on Princess is probably a little better than Carnival. I like the way they offer the fried eggs and you can make your own toast. Carnival has great food overall. Carnival has better entertainment, great Las Vegas style shows. We cruise 3 or 4 times per year, the savings can add up, unless you have unlimited resources.

My question is. If you are comparing similar ship categories, similar itinerary, and similar cabin categories and you are comparing competitive cruise lines, what can happen on the Royal Caribbean that is worth $1000 per person? I can show you the difference between a Chevrolet Impala and a Cadillac DTS, and there is a big price, but would you pay a big difference between a Honda Accord and a Toyota Camry?

Thanks. We try HAL next, I will see if they are "better" than Princess or Carnival.

Geeeez, I hate this...

The cabin that is bigger on carnival will be the interior. The balcony, will be around the same.

We loved the Glory. It is our overall favorite carnival ship.

As someone else said, if you lose labadee, how will you feel?

If it's rough, you won't go.

But more than likely since you really want to try rccl, if you cancel now and go on carnival you will keep thinking, well we should have tried it, maybe we'd be having more fun etc etc.

In our family, we don't stick to one cruise line.

However, we do enjoy keeping our vacations within a budget that is comfortable for us to have fun.

So, by looking at what you wrote about your budget, I'd pick carnival if that means you can have a more enjoyable vacation.

There are a lot of differences between carnival and rccl. It all depends on what you want in your vacation.

We have tried the major different lines, and all very close to each other, value for my dollar is what I want, and i ussually find it at carnival. Why take an inside cabin on RCCL when for the same money you get a balcony. Only reason we are going on the liberty, is we had to use a NEXT cruise or loose it, and I found a short term deal on a outside cabin in "steerage" class.

Conquest is fun, plus the added east/west changes will make it better.

Have been on 5 CCL and two RCI... Most recently the CCL Freedom and the RCI Explorer of the Seas..:)

I would compare the two as being very similar.... DR food a tad better on Freedom, but the buffet on RCI better, in some areas:rolleyes:

Comparing the Jewel of the Seas to the CCL Imagination is not fair.. Even with staff and service involved in the equation, the Jewel is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, so the comparison goes 'flukky' from there...:o

IMHO, for $1000. I'd stick with Carnival, for basically the same itinerary... as long as apples are compared to apples, and oranges to oranges..

I'm not sure I've found my niche just yet, so we are sailing on the NCL Jewel in April 2010.. 15 day transatlantic..!! And yes, we keep looking for the 'best value', for what we expect in a good vacation, and even tho' $$$ is NOT a big factor, we do try to be 'thrifty'.. :cool: Currently, the best 'value/quality' for the $$ is CCL!:)

Have been on 5 CCL and two RCI... Most recently the CCL Freedom and the RCI Explorer of the Seas..:)

I would compare the two as being very similar.... DR food a tad better on Freedom, but the buffet on RCI better, in some areas:rolleyes:

Comparing the Jewel of the Seas to the CCL Imagination is not fair.. Even with staff and service involved in the equation, the Jewel is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, so the comparison goes 'flukky' from there...:o

IMHO, for $1000. I'd stick with Carnival, for basically the same itinerary... as long as apples are compared to apples, and oranges to oranges..

I'm not sure I've found my niche just yet, so we are sailing on the NCL Jewel in April 2010.. 15 day transatlantic..!! And yes, we keep looking for the 'best value', for what we expect in a good vacation, and even tho' $$$ is NOT a big factor, we do try to be 'thrifty'.. :cool: Currently, the best 'value/quality' for the $$ is CCL!:)

You will LOVE the NCL Jewel. We just got back from her 3 weeks ago. I cruise hop also. It got me to the highest tier of loyalty on Carnival , NCL, and Diamond on RCCL.

I went on my first RCCL cruise thinking if I were paying more, I was "buying up".

While the ship I sailed is quite nice, I at no time found it was better than Carnival, and found most things quite on par. For $1000, I'd sail on Carnival, if all else is equal.

Good advice. I totally agree.

For the life of me, I can never understand where these posters get their figures...I just did a double search for Feb. 14th 2010 President's day week, on both RCI and Carnival. Base price for a balcony for the Conquest was $909, base for Voyager was $999. If we're talkin oranges to oranges here, where do you get $1000 difference in price. I wouldn't think of giving up Voyager for Conquest for $180 per couple, didn't price out the 3rd and 4th occupants... and by the way, one poster said crab cakes were nowhere to be seen on RCCL...I had crab cakes as a regular appetizer on Voyager in January this year and even asked for it again (and got it).

We have been on the Conquest when it was in New Orleans, and we have been on the Voyager, me personally would take the Voyager and I know my DH and DS would also. We had more fun on RC and we just liked the ship so much better.

I also had a bad experience on the Conquest, our cabin was covered in dust, and the area where they had the Art pictures where also covered in dust and the railing inside the attrium. That is the first and last time we will sail on CC. I don't care if they give me a cruise. We did not like it. Spend a little more and enjoy yourself. You get what you pay for.

To me, $1000 is not a little more. I would say for $1000, I would be willing to ask the steward to dust my cabin. The art and railing, I don't care if they have dust or not.

I could enjoy myself on a cruise even if there was dust involved. I would just take a ClaritinD. :D

For the life of me, I can never understand where these posters get their figures...I just did a double search for Feb. 14th 2010 President's day week, on both RCI and Carnival. Base price for a balcony for the Conquest was $909, base for Voyager was $999. If we're talkin oranges to oranges here, where do you get $1000 difference in price. I wouldn't think of giving up Voyager for Conquest for $180 per couple, didn't price out the 3rd and 4th occupants... and by the way, one poster said crab cakes were nowhere to be seen on RCCL...I had crab cakes as a regular appetizer on Voyager in January this year and even asked for it again (and got it).

Where did you search? Don't forget Carnival allows TAs to discount - You would need to get an actual quote from a TA to compare the two.

Right off the internet brand sites, RCCL dot com and Carnival dot com. I don't use TAs anymore. I give myself way better service than I ever got from any of the TAs I used....of course this was my experience, not yours.

I have been on one RCI cruise and on the CCL Glory (Conquest twin). I enjoyed both cruises and would do either again. I found the service similar, food better on Carnival, decor nicer on RCI. For $1000 I would definatley take the Carnival cruise.

Archived