POM, free for handicap parking?

4lifeinnh

Yes, it is true. I read it several places on the message boards. Then, I emailed the POM to see if there was any paperwork I needed to fill out ahead of time (someone on message boards said you did). The POM emailed me back the next day and confirmed that handicapped parking is free, and that there is nothing to fill out until arriving at the port. Hope this helps!

Hi there, DM and i on NCL Sky out of POM. She is handicapped and has a placard. I heard that handicap parking at the port is free. Is this true?

It used to be, but things change. Check with the local police dept.; chamber of commerce; or port authority.

Somewhere I read the the port was "cracking down" on the free parking. Don't know what that means. But I'd be sure to have any relevant paper work that you filled out in your home state to get your handicapped parking pass or tags. And obviously the handicapped person needs to be cruising.

well i decided to call pom and get the low down. handicap parking is free. the directions i was given were to go to the terminal and drop your luggage and make sure it gets taken care of. then go to the toll booth for the parking garage and pick up a handicap parking form and fill it out (you can't get it ahead of time unfortunately). park in handicap parking and either walk to the terminal or take the free shuttle.

voila! by the way- the gentleman, Greg, at the pom was very helpful on the phone. nice to have excellent customer service!:)

well i decided to call pom and get the low down. handicap parking is free. the directions i was given were to go to the terminal and drop your luggage and make sure it gets taken care of. then go to the toll booth for the parking garage and pick up a handicap parking form and fill it out (you can't get it ahead of time unfortunately). park in handicap parking and either walk to the terminal or take the free shuttle.

voila! by the way- the gentleman, Greg, at the pom was very helpful on the phone. nice to have excellent customer service!:)

For $20 a day parking i would hope they could afford a real person on the phone when u call lol., Have a good cruise, too bad the handicapped person has to be with you and you can't just drop off the person handicapped at the loading dock area.

• 7 years later...

Per POM website:

Miami-Dade County Ordinance requires all guests with a disabled parking permit or license tag to pay standard parking rates except as provided by Florida State Law. However, two hours of complimentary parking will be provided to vehicles displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag.

In accordance with Florida Statute 316.1964, ONLY vehicles with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the “DV” license plate issued under s. 320.084 or the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from parking charges.

What he failed to tell you is that you have to have a vehicle equipped with ramps, lift or hand controls on the steering wheel to qualify.

Disabled parking is free for vehicles with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, and hand controls. Please see our Parking & Transportation page for complete information and details.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/faq-cruise.asp

:o

Per POM website:

Miami-Dade County Ordinance requires all guests with a disabled parking permit or license tag to pay standard parking rates except as provided by Florida State Law. However, two hours of complimentary parking will be provided to vehicles displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag.

In accordance with Florida Statute 316.1964, ONLY vehicles with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the “DV” license plate issued under s. 320.084 or the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from parking charges.

Blue Eyes...Welcome to Cruise Critic. Please note this thread is 8 years old and things have changed in those 8 years.

And please stop digging up ancient threads. It makes me feel foolish when I respond to a nearly decade old post. :o

Per POM website:

BlueEyes50,

Thank you for updating the information for disabled parking -- fees and requirements.

BlueEyes50,

Thank you for updating the information for disabled parking -- fees and requirements.

I guess because she is new she didn't realize it would have been better and less confusing to start a new thread on the topic rather than dredge up an 8 year old thread and bump it to the top of the board as though it were current.

I am new to cruise critic and still don't understand all the rules. I wasn't purposely looking for old threads when searching for information regarding handicapped parking. The only information available was old. So I thought I was doing a favor for someone like me who couldn't find CURRENT information regarding handicapped parking. Thanks for being so understanding.

I am new to cruise critic and still don't understand all the rules. I wasn't purposely looking for old threads when searching for information regarding handicapped parking. The only information available was old. So I thought I was doing a favor for someone like me who couldn't find CURRENT information regarding handicapped parking. Thanks for being so understanding.

Alright...Because you're new we'll let it go...this time. But don't let it happen again. :cool:

A recent change is that Disabled Veterans can now park for free at all FL ports.

There is no reference to that in the POM web site that I can find. I'm thinking it's in reality a feel good hollow gesture that still requires the vehicle have ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls installed.

If your car has a permanent Disabled Veteran license tag you park for free at PortMiami and Port Everglades, with or without vehicle modifications.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/parking-information.asp

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/disabled-parking/

For non-modified vehicles:

If your car has a license plate with the handicapped logo but does not indicate DV for disabled veteran you must pay.

If you only have a blue placard hangtag and not a DV license plate you must pay--even if you are a veteran.

The port websites also state that showing a permit exempting the handicapped from paying Florida tolls also waives the parking fee--but if you read the state statute said permit only applies to modified vehicles which the ports already know to waive.

got a reference? Does it require DV tags? How does one claim the DV status?

I believe you only need DV tags. It was in the Orlando paper a few months ago. The article was specifically about PC, but I'm pretty sure it applies to Miami and Ft Lauderdale

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

When all else fails, read the actually regulation. I read Florida statue 316.1964 concerning free parking in Florida.

There is a special provision that ports may charge for parking. The Port of Miami website states that the car must be modified with hand controls, ramps, or lifts to qualify for the free parking.

I am not sure if the lift also applies to the lift on the back of a car for transport of a eclectic scooter. I have the feeling it does not but I will email the port and asked.

As far as free parking for disabled veterans, the Port of Miami specifically references Florida Statue section 320.084. This section concerns a disabled veteran license plate issued by Florida state.

According to the written information, only the Florida DV plate is honored.

However, the general handicap provision is not limited to Florida licensed vechicles.

got a reference? Does it require DV tags? How does one claim the DV status?

A veteran must be permanently and totally disabled (100% according to the VA) and it must be a service-connected disability.

You apply through your FL county tax collector's office (like all other auto registration issues). And show proof of the P&T disability.