Are there any mini cruise's from New York To Fort Lauder to catch the Oasis Ship ?...

Can anyone help ?... I can get to New York ok via the QM2 from Southampton UK, but would like to travel from New York to Fort Lauderdale and take an Oasis cruise around the caribben without the aid of flying?... are there any mini cruise's from New York to Fort Lauderdale ?... it is daft but i am terrified of flying, I must give in and fly I guess :eek: , but I would really love to sail on the Oasis looks amazing.... :D

Can anyone help ?... I can get to New York ok via the QM2 from Southampton UK, but would like to travel from New York to Fort Lauderdale and take an Oasis cruise around the caribben without the aid of flying?... are there any mini cruise's from New York to Fort Lauderdale ?... it is daft but i am terrified of flying, I must give in and fly I guess :eek: , but I would really love to sail on the Oasis looks amazing.... :D

There will no no cruise between US ports as it would violate the PSV act, which states that a cruise that departs a US port and returns to a different US port must visit a distant foreign destination first

A cruise ship could take you from NYC to Florida, but the law would require that the ship be registered in the USA. Currently the only USA registered cruise ship is in Hawaii. To be USA registered the ship must be USA built and crewed.

www.amtrak.com .... I found 2 ... one takes 26 hours, one takes 30 hours. I think I'd opt for a 3 hour flight!

Oh, I would too but the OP is afraid to fly. I understand fear. While I'm not afraid to fly, if there was a snake in the seat next to me, I would either pass out from fear or jump from the plane.

I think the train might be a good option. Anyone know how long it takes?

Living in FL, and being from MA, I've taken this trip via AMTRAK. It does take roughly 1.5 days, and that includes layovers in either Philly or DC (as I recall). It's a fun but LOOOONGGGGGGG trip.

Personally, I'd do the 2.5 hr flight and enjoy the Ft Lauderdale beach for the rest of the time until time to board!!

Yes, there are still sleeper cars.

I just went to Amtrak.com, put in NYP (New York Penn Station) to FTL (Fort Lauderdale FL), and Apr 19 as a random date for a one-way trip.

The first train on the list was the Silver Star, leaving NY at 10:52 am and getting to Ft L at 5:12 pm the next day. The fare for a reserved coach seat is $120.

To travel in a "Viewliner Roomette" adds $344 per room to the one-way fare; adding a full "Bedroom" adds $989. Note that this additional charge is per room and not per person.

The Viewliner Roomette is designed for one or two passengers, with comfortable reclining seats on either side of a sweeping picture window. At night, the seats convert to a bed, and an upper berth with its own picture window folds out from the upper wall.

Meals included

Two berths (upper and lower)

Two reclining seats which convert to a bed; upper berth which folds down from wall

Picture window

Sink and toilet in room

Showers nearby

Our Bedroom is ideal for two passengers (but can accommodate three). Each room has a large sofa with two individually reclining sections, and a reclining easy chair. At night, the sofa converts to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. All Bedrooms feature private, self-enclosed restrooms with toilet, sink and shower.

Meals included

Designed for two passengers

Upper and lower berths

Armchair and sofa (converts to lower berth)

Private sink, vanity, private toilet and shower

Both include:

Electrical outlets

Climate control

Individual reading lights

Garment rack

Fold-down table

Fresh towels and bed linens

Soap and shower amenities

Personal service (turn-down, coffee, paper, make-up bed)

Bottled water

Daily newspaper

I have to tell you from personal experience, the roomettes are tiny.

Oh, I would too but the OP is afraid to fly. I understand fear. While I'm not afraid to fly, if there was a snake in the seat next to me, I would either pass out from fear or jump from the plane.

That's what I would do . I have a snake phobia.

There will no no cruise between US ports as it would violate the PSV act, which states that a cruise that departs a US port and returns to a different US port must visit a distant foreign destination first

Let it stop in Miami first. That is surely a foreign destination. :)

I believe Bermuda counts as a distance foreign port.

Huge thanks for all your advice, all very kind, appreciated and this was very helpfull...

I may give in and fly, its not such a long flight, :eek: , there is a great episode of The Simpsons where Marge Simpson is afraid of flying and runs up and down the aircraft shouting "let me off" ! about 10 times, is very funny (was simular to me once)....

More worried now about if there were snakes on the train :D

Mark

Huge thanks for all your advice, all very kind, appreciated and this was very helpfull...

I may give in and fly, its not such a long flight, :eek: , there is a great episode of The Simpsons where Marge Simpson is afraid of flying and runs up and down the aircraft shouting "let me off" ! about 10 times, is very funny (was simular to me once)....

More worried now about if there were snakes on the train :D

Mark

More chance of snakes on a train than snakes on a plane, despite what the movies tell you?? How's Cambridge these days, haven't been back there since 2005:(

Here is one to Miami close enough.

Norwegian Cruise Line-Norwegian Jewel

New York City, Cayo Levantado, Road Town, Basseterre, Willemstad/Curacao, Oranjestad/Aruba, Roatan, Belize City, Miami 1 departure date: Oct 30 2009

I believe Bermuda counts as a distance foreign port.
Bermuda is NOT a distant foreign port; closest distant ports to the US East Coast are South America and its immediate off-shore islands [including Aruba and Curacao]. Special rules apply to trips to Puerto Rico. To go to or from NY/FL legally in a foreign flagged vessel requires a stop at/near South America, or a two part cruise with the first cruise terminating in PR [as Grandeur is doing this spring]. Note that all such large ship cruises are repostioning and highly seasonal dependant. American Canadian Caribbean Line has US flagged small vessels and does do limited US East Coast trips, but none from NYC to Fort Lauderdale [closest seems to be Warren, RI to Jacksonville, FL], and these cruises while interesting are way more expensive than air or train. If you are seriously wanting to go by ship your best bet [as mentioned above] is a TransAtlantic repositioning [often very cost effective]. However unless you are spending the winter in FL and catching a Spring return repositioning you'd still have to fly at the back end.

Archived