Art Auction... Has anyone ever MADE.....

I am not sure if there is much of a market for selling used, marked-up, fake art at an even further marked up price. The amount of "champagne" you'd have to provide to someone to fall for that would almost certainly end up being prohibitively expensive.

I watched part of an "art" auction on my last cruise for fun, and was amazed with all the persuasive techniques the "auctioneer" used to try to get people to buy as well as with all the hidden fees:

*Apparently the winning bid had to pay a 15% mark up off the bat.

*Several items were not available to be taken off the ship (the "art" probably had to be photocopied) so one had to pay shipping fees.

*The "appraisal" fee.

*The framing fee.

I thought the art auction was more funny than the comedian! :D:cool:

P.S. The "champagne" was a good metaphor for the authenticity of the art. They advertise it as a "champagne" art auction and they provide you with a glass of cheap sparkling wine that aside from being carbonated and looking like champagne it in reality is a cheap rip-off of what champagne truly is. Same goes for the "art."

I am not sure if there is much of a market for selling used, marked-up, fake art at an even further marked up price. The amount of "champagne" you'd have to provide to someone to fall for that would almost certainly end up being prohibitively expensive.

I watched part of an "art" auction on my last cruise for fun, and was amazed with all the persuasive techniques the "auctioneer" used to try to get people to buy as well as with all the hidden fees:

*Apparently the winning bid had to pay a 15% mark up off the bat.

*Several items were not available to be taken off the ship (the "art" probably had to be photocopied) so one had to pay shipping fees.

*The "appraisal" fee.

*The framing fee.

I thought the art auction was more funny than the comedian! :D:cool:

I read an article a few years ago on just this topic. I'll have to search the web and see if I can pull it up. The bottom line of the article was that these on board art auctions are one big scam.

Pictures? I think you mean photocopies. :D;)

Hey, I didn't call it 'art.' :p

Some people enjoy the whole thing - good for them. I have a friend who buys the stuff on Princess - makes her happy so what can I say? But I just wish they would get it out of my blinking way!!!

So long as I don't know they're there they can do what they like. On Independence the Auction was held in a lounge.... nice and out of the way.

On Jewel it was in the Centrum.... and often.... way too often..... the sound from the 4th floor travels up to the 10th so you can't escape it if you are 'indoors'. And the chap doesn't need a microphone.... seriously RCCL he doesn't. Take it away from him before someone pulls the plug!

So long as I don't know they're there they can do what they like. On Independence the Auction was held in a lounge.... nice and out of the way.

On Jewel it was in the Centrum.... and often.... way too often..... the sound from the 4th floor travels up to the 10th so you can't escape it if you are 'indoors'. And the chap doesn't need a microphone.... seriously RCCL he doesn't. Take it away from him before someone pulls the plug!

I thought the same thing about the live music in the Centrum. I don't know how it is on the larger ships - (one day I hope to find out) but on Enchantment you don't need ampliphied music in the centrum. PLEASE - it is just too darned loud!!! That was one of the few negative things I commented on on our cruise.

Which is more fake:

1: The "art" at the "art" auction

2: The accent of the auctioneer

3: The "champagne"

4: The plants in the audience working for the "art" company who pretend to be excited about the artwork and attempt to generate buzz by oohing, awing, and bidding

How about "Original Photocopies"

lol, they may have some "original" photocopies on the ship, but they then mail you a photocopy of the original photocopy after charing you the 15% mark up from your bid plus shipping, framing, and appraisal fees. Even if you only bid $50, you still end up paying about $200 for a photocopy of a replica of a piece of art.

OP...... have been waiting for you to post something.... can never remember how to spell your name!!! I have a present for you from our recent trip :

2654_138328550351_617355351_6167616_4895662_n.jpg

You have to wonder wht the OP sticks a whistle in their mouth that has been handled by hundreds if not thousands of people. When that little red herpes thing shows up on the lip.......the picture will be woeth the diagnosis

Archived