Supper Club $30.00 Charge Does Not Include Tip

Fazzdaan

This is getting boring so lets ask a question and probably stir things up a bit.

I am going on an 8 day cruise next month. If we dine at the supper club for 4 nights what do we do with the automatic tipping for the dining room?

Do I pay my dining room waiter and asst for 4 days of doing nothing for me?

Would be better if automatic tipping was allocated according to whom served me.

Golfadj

Well, you're really only eating one of three meals there, so theoretically, you could save (5.50/3 ) X 4 = ?

Is the 7.32PP savings worth it?

Expanding a bit more at the risk of being flamed (not by you...you seem nice :)), the dinners we order at the restaurants we frequent are more like $10-$12 apiece. Those would include Mexican and Chinese restaurants, Applebees and Olive Garden.

I LOVE all of those! Olive Garden is one of my favorites, and I love Applebees and Mexican and Chinese......now you've made me hungry!

I guess I was thinking of a more upscale restaurant that would be more comparable to the Supper Club on the ship.

It's all good.......no worries! :D

Expanding a bit more at the risk of being flamed (not by you...you seem nice :)), the dinners we order at the restaurants we frequent are more like $10-$12 apiece. Those would include Mexican and Chinese restaurants, Applebees and Olive Garden.

Actually, I think the most expensive entree I've paid to date topped off at $29.

A steakhouse in Boston I've wanted to try out has fillets @ $34, and I've yet to get anyone to join me. So I have yet to have the pleasure.

Well, in addition to the fact that on Carnival's own site it says the tip is included, the thing that convinces me John is wrong is that your Sign & Sail Receipt clearly has a line before the total that says "Additional Gratuity". Just dug up my receipt from the last cruise in Feb.

We always go to the Steak House (they really don't call them Supper Clubs anymore, especially since they did away with the live music for dancing).....and because of the Superb service I always add $10-$15 extra. Bottom line is....if you don't leave any extra those folks are already taken care of.....

I have always assumed the $30 included the gratuity - though we have always added in an extra $20 for the two of us.

If the "official" word were to become that the $30 is ALL for the food, or ALL for the tip - it would not make any difference in our "additional" tip.

The ONLY thing that would impact the extra $$$ would be POOR SERVICE!!! I have stiffed people before (not on Carnival - with the exception of ONE cabin steward :rolleyes:), but those are folks which have no business serving others!!!

So John - not to worry!!! ;)

Tom

Well, you're really only eating one of three meals there, so theoretically, you could save (5.50/3 ) X 4 = ?

To some it would be as they are worrying about giving an extra $10 tip for the servers at the Supper club.

Actually, I think the most expensive entree I've paid to date topped off at $29.

I have enjoyed a few Kobe steaks (@ Borgata, Bellagio and Beau Rivage) so the $29 point has passed. Some were comped, some not (though I thought they would be) :eek:

Hmmmm, why do all of those places start with the letter "B" :confused:

Tom

I have enjoyed a few Kobe steaks (@ Borgata, Bellagio and Beau Rivage) so the $29 point has passed. Some were comped, some not (though I thought they would be) :eek:

Hmmmm, why do all of those places start with the letter "B" :confused:

Tom

LOL. DW and I were just relating to my MIL that during our Bellagio stay, our "sail and sign" was $96, and we only had ice cream and coffee for our two day stay. Somehow, we never went out for a descent meal. But the Celine concert was brill!

463706866HHDsQa_th.jpg

Oh Tom is here, cool, he can back me up when I speak of Vegas food bill's...

Try Alex for 4 people, with my friend going nuts on the wine, he paid for that dinner, but let's leave it at, youu could of paid for a couple of cruises in Cat 12's for that bill.

The largest bill I have ever seen was $26 K, that was for a party of 20 at Top of The World, that did not include the tip, the funny thing with that one was it was my wife's company and the company credit card declined the bill !

I had to ok them leaving without paying the bill ! I ended up giving them my Amex number and had the boss cut me a check..love those Amex reward points.

Personally I could never see spending that type of money on a meal, there are some great places to eat where a meal for two would be around $100

I mean, DH and I went out for dinner the other night for my birthday at a local restaurant which I would call semi-nice. A couple of notches above let's say The Outback but definetly NOT want I saw when I looked through the window of Nick and Nora's last July. DH and I ordered appitizers, salads, dinner and had 4 drinks between us and the bill came out to $80 with the tip.

So if N&N's is $60 and the service is exceptional (as I have heard from people it is) so I leave an extra 20% tip I don't see how that's a problem. Especially since everyone I spoke to on Miracle in July who went did nothing but rave. If that extra $12 is a thorn just don't leave it and pay just the $30/head.

If you have 4 drinks between you at Nick and Nora's, the bill is NOT going to be $60. It will certainly be over $80... I know that doesn't change your point, but comparing prices that way isn't really accurate.

I did tip extra the one time I went to the Supper Club, but I didn't particularly ENJOY the service at Scarlett's. In fact, I found it suffocating. Honestly, I would have tipped even more to be left alone for a couple of minutes!

Holy crap. :eek:

Mortgage companies during the mad days did not mess around when it came to having fun, kind of comes when you have sales people running a national business and a wife who has a taste for expensive wines.

The largest bill I have ever seen was $26 K, that was for a party of 20 at Top of The World, that did not include the tip, the funny thing with that one was it was my wife's company and the company credit card declined the bill !

Personally I could never see spending that type of money on a meal, there are some great places to eat where a meal for two would be around $100

I've dined for two at Top of the World and the bill came out to right around $100. We each had a glass of wine and an entree, and I think we split a dessert. I don't recall if there were any appetizers. I DO remember that I was really stuffed by the time I left... To average $1,300 per guest at that restaurant, they had to be enjoying some REALLY expensive wine...:eek:

If you want to get technical I eat two of three meals on lido deck and paying $ 1 per day for alternative dining so (not really enough but generally getting served by multiple people so have no idea how I would add tips for the people who do in fact serve me) would save 3 times as much x 2 people or $ 43.92.

That is why I do really believe tips should be allocated according to whom is doing the serving.

Now back to the important stuff as to whether or not tips are included in the supper club (without live music).

Why is this so hard?

Golfadj

That is why I do really believe tips should be allocated according to whom is doing the serving.

You can do that by removing the auto tips and do it yourself if that's what you desire.

I have always been under the impression that the $30 was FOOD and gratuity.

As for John's apparent error... he can't know EVERYTHING about Carnival... Remember he referred to the Cove cabins on the Dream as being on Deck One...

We all make mistakes... me in particular!!!

:)

I don't make misteaks.

I've dined for two at Top of the World and the bill came out to right around $100. We each had a glass of wine and an entree, and I think we split a dessert. I don't recall if there were any appetizers. I DO remember that I was really stuffed by the time I left... To average $1,300 per guest at that restaurant, they had to be enjoying some REALLY expensive wine...:eek:

Yep - $1,300 pp is pretty steep... that reminds me of the issue (last year or so?) of the guy who had a HUGE HUGE HUGE bill at a strip club and fought his credit card company over the charges. Does that ring a bell with anyone??

Vegas is PRICEY. I am lucky (or should I say I have been UNLUCKY) enough to get this next trip as a RFL comp at Bellagio (FINE dining not included!)

Tom

You're right, not a great analogy. I guess I'm just trying to say that going out to dinner is a treat and from what I've heard the supper club is fantastic.

But I also paid for 8 days on the ship but I'm going to pay again to go on excursions. It's my choice not to just stay on the ship I have paid for and my choice to pay something extra for the "treat" of an excursion. My inlaws go on dozens of cruises and very rarely ever pay for an excursion and basically just enjoy the ship. That's their choice. I look at the supper club the same way. It's a treat!

Ok, either you're a Beatles fan or you have four kids...or you have two kids and are additionally a fan of you & your husband...so confusing:p Anyway, the Super Club is absolutely supper....going there on 4/10 on Freedom (Sun King)....yay!!

When we ate up there it was probably around $200 for two people, now figure 20 people knowing the company is picking up the bill and it can easily head north.

When it comes to wine I remember they drank the place dry of Opus One and Krystal...other than that who knows.

Anyways, back on topic....

Yes the supper club is worth $30 a head, if you want to tip more go ahead, if not, don't, it really is that simple.

Yep - $1,300 pp is pretty steep... that reminds me of the issue (last year or so?) of the guy who had a HUGE HUGE HUGE bill at a strip club and fought his credit card company over the charges. Does that ring a bell with anyone??

Vegas is PRICEY. I am lucky (or should I say I have been UNLUCKY) enough to get this next trip as a RFL comp at Bellagio (FINE dining not included!)

Tom

There has been more than one of those I have heard about.

Tom have you ever eaten at the Foundation Room ?

Oh and I love Prime, now that is a good restaurant.

Ok, either you're a Beatles fan or you have four kids...or you have two kids and are additionally a fan of you & your husband...so confusing:p Anyway, the Super Club is absolutely supper....going there on 4/10 on Freedom (Sun King)....yay!!

The decor in the Sun King was far superior to that of the Emerald Room (Glory). It felt more like a fine dining establishment. Have a GREAT time!

Tom

Archived