Sun Princess Cruise Next Week.. HELP!!

cruizer123

Hi All,

We are going on the Sun Princess Queensland Coastal Wonders Cruise next week but had a few questions to ask about the ship before we go.. :confused:

* Is a suit really necessary on the formal nights? or will black pants & a button up shirt do for the men?

* What is classified as "Smart Casual"? Are Jeans & a T-Shirt suitable for the men in the dining rooms?

* Is the food in the dining room & buffet the same at night?

* We were going to bring along our laptop & wireless internet, but not sure if it will work while we are out at sea & in Queensland? And if so, will I be charged any extra by my internet company?

* Can you bring your own Wine onboard? And if so, is there any charge to have this opened for you at dinner?

* Is there designated smoking areas on board? or are passengers able to smoke anywhere they like (ie. anywhere on deck or in their staterooms?)

* Is there a "viewing deck" at the back on Baja Deck?

* Is there a best time to Check In on the day? (I do know its between 12.30 - 3.30 but not sure if there is any specific time that is best)

Thanks everyone for all your help..

Looking forward to our first cruise onboard the Sun Princess next week. :D

Hi All,

We are going on the Sun Princess Queensland Coastal Wonders Cruise next week but had a few questions to ask about the ship before we go.. :confused:

* Is a suit really necessary on the formal nights? or will black pants & a button up shirt do for the men?

* What is classified as "Smart Casual"? Are Jeans & a T-Shirt suitable for the men in the dining rooms?

* Is the food in the dining room & buffet the same at night?

* We were going to bring along our laptop & wireless internet, but not sure if it will work while we are out at sea & in Queensland? And if so, will I be charged any extra by my internet company?

* Can you bring your own Wine onboard? And if so, is there any charge to have this opened for you at dinner?

* Is there designated smoking areas on board? or are passengers able to smoke anywhere they like (ie. anywhere on deck or in their staterooms?)

* Is there a "viewing deck" at the back on Baja Deck?

* Is there a best time to Check In on the day? (I do know its between 12.30 - 3.30 but not sure if there is any specific time that is best)

Thanks everyone for all your help..

Looking forward to our first cruise onboard the Sun Princess next week. :D

Hi Druiser123,

We went on the Sun Pricess in Christmas 2007 and cruised to Noumea and other Pacific islands.

Q1. A suit/coat is preferrable but on our cruise there were some wearing shirt and ties.

Q2. There was never anyone wearing a Tshirt in the dinning room... u are better going to the buffet if that is the atire you would like to wear. Many people wore jeans though and a nice shirt.

Q3. No the food was not the same. The buffet is a really nice mix of all sorts of food and the dinning room is 5*****

Q4. I really cant comment on this... But I doubt it would pick up offshore.

Q5. No the bags are xrayed and they confiscate any alcohol (not sure if they give it back to you at the end of the cruise)

Q6. Can't remember but there are several viewing platform areas on the back of the boat and this should be shown on your deck plan.

Q7. Before the ship leaves:))))))))))) We were told to be there about 1.30- 2.00 as the que was a lot shorter.

I am sure you will have a great cruise as this is a lovely ship, great food and friendly staff.

Hope this is of some help!!

Hi Druiser123,

We went on the Sun Pricess in Christmas 2007 and cruised to Noumea and other Pacific islands.

Q1. A suit/coat is preferrable but on our cruise there were some wearing shirt and ties.

Q2. There was never anyone wearing a Tshirt in the dinning room... u are better going to the buffet if that is the atire you would like to wear. Many people wore jeans though and a nice shirt.

Q3. No the food was not the same. The buffet is a really nice mix of all sorts of food and the dinning room is 5*****

Q4. I really cant comment on this... But I doubt it would pick up offshore.

Q5. No the bags are xrayed and they confiscate any alcohol (not sure if they give it back to you at the end of the cruise)

Q6. Can't remember but there are several viewing platform areas on the back of the boat and this should be shown on your deck plan.

Q7. Before the ship leaves:))))))))))) We were told to be there about 1.30- 2.00 as the que was a lot shorter.

I am sure you will have a great cruise as this is a lovely ship, great food and friendly staff.

Hope this is of some help!!

Hi there,

you will enjoy your cruise, she is a lovely ship...

most people do wear a suit or similar in the dining rooms.... on the formal nights, or at least a shirt and tie and good pants.... if this is not for you, you are able to eat in the buffett on those nights which is more informal...:)

Smart casual....most passengers wore pants and a casual shirt on those nights, we did see jeans with dress shirts too.

Dining room food is more upscale than the buffet on most nights, although the food was consistently good in all areas, you WILL NOT go hungry!!..LOL

Not sure on the internet, we used the internet room onboard, as we do not have a laptop...looked pricey $$$ - but fortunately we got it included. (platinum)

yes, we always bring wine onboard, you pay corkage to take it to the dining room.

We always get to the ship about 11 am, and are always onboard by 12.

Hope this helps.

...have a great cruise.

S&D

111_o2.gif.1f5318568b0c7bee39017da03aa5e12a.gif

Hi Cruizer123,

We were on the SP last month out of Melbourne to Sth pacific (12nights)so might have some info for you.

Q1. Yes I took a suit & tie and wore it both formal nights,totally up to yourself as others wear pants and nice shirt.

Q2. Yes jeans ok, T shirt ? generally nice collared shirt.

Q3. Not sure if dinning & buffet food is the same on each night but dont think so.

Q4 Ok , yes wireless is available ( we were balcony- Baja deck) and we had good reception all cruise. Your pay onboard to use their internet,you buy so many minutes (blocks) of time. IE

Plan 1 250 mins for $100.00

Plan 2 150 mins for $75.00 etc etc

I have full details (copy of their pricing & connection procedure) brochure but im not sure if im allowed to scan and post it on here due to restrictions.( ? anybody ) I will post my email addy at the bottom so if you require I can scan and forward to you.

Q5. Wine on board, Yes you can bring 1 bottle per person on board per port . Careful with corkage charge we got hit $22.00 corkage at dinner one night.(only DID that once)

Q6. Sorry non smokers.

Q7. Definately viewing deck forward (bow)not sure at back (aft)

Q8. We checked in @ 11.00am and on board 11.55am

Email . rmead1 at yahoo dot com

You will love the Sun as we did and are just booking again now for 2010.

Hope this little info helps. Enjoy !

Johhno

Sun Princess is sailing under Princess so yes you are allowed to bring on a few bottles of wine. We never bother - not worth carrying the extra weight. Wine onboard is no more expensive than a good restaurant and we like to try different ones.

Smoking is allowed in the wheelhouse bar which is unfortunate for us non smokers as its the only place where you can dance. You can also smoke on the port side of the open decks. They put ash trays on the areas where you can smoke.

My kids were turned away from the dining room wearing jeans except for the country and western night so not sure if they now allow it or not. We were on her 15 months ago. Smart casual is usually casual trousers and a polo shirt. Formal nights are normally fairly formal. Suit and tie for the guys and coctail dress for ladies but yu can get by with a shirt and tie. Its part of the fun of cruising - getting dressed up for dinner. Part of a bygone era. :D

Best viewing spots are anywhere on the open decks - we usually head up to the front to get the great view going under the bridge.

I usually just buy internet time in the computer lounge - just something else to lug along. I usually only check in once a day to make sure the house hasn't burnt down. I have never had a problem getting a computer.

As others have said, she is a beautiful ship and you will love her. - mummsie:)

Re formal nights, one of the blokes at our table got refused entry on formal night, no jacket and tie. Those are the rules. I took Blazer, shirt and tie for formal nights on Sun Princess around OZ, formal enough for that trip.

I am going to be a snob on our Crown Princess Europe cruises in June/July, going to take ye olde tuxedo (dinner suit) got to fit with the Americans who like to dress up and will make up 98% of the passenger list no doubt.

Hi Cruizer 123. Dh and I were on the Sun Princess this Feb. We had a greattttt time. I am a smoker. We had a balcony room and I smoked on the balcony. I didn't smoke in the room. Wasn't sure if I could. Hubby wore jeans to the dinning room some nights and polo shirt. Formal night he wore nice pants and shirt(NO TIE OR JACKET).You are NOT allowed in the dinning room with ANY type of Shorts except the 1st and last nights. We left for Melbourne and got to the wharf at 11-30 and were having lunch by 12-30. She is a great ship and the staff were all excellent. We will go again in the future. Have a great time. You can also smoke on deck 12 near the pool on the port side(left side when you are on the ship facing the front). Suexxx

Hi Cruizer 123. Dh and I were on the Sun Princess this Feb. We had a greattttt time. I am a smoker. We had a balcony room and I smoked on the balcony. I didn't smoke in the room. Wasn't sure if I could. Hubby wore jeans to the dinning room some nights and polo shirt. Formal night he wore nice pants and shirt(NO TIE OR JACKET).You are NOT allowed in the dinning room with ANY type of Shorts except the 1st and last nights. We left for Melbourne and got to the wharf at 11-30 and were having lunch by 12-30. She is a great ship and the staff were all excellent. We will go again in the future. Have a great time. You can also smoke on deck 12 near the pool on the port side(left side when you are on the ship facing the front). Suexxx

Smoking is not allowed any more in any cabin as per my last cruise confirmation.

It doesnt mention balconies but I feel it means that too.

Re formal nights, one of the blokes at our table got refused entry on formal night, no jacket and tie. Those are the rules. I took Blazer, shirt and tie for formal nights on Sun Princess around OZ, formal enough for that trip.

I am going to be a snob on our Crown Princess Europe cruises in June/July, going to take ye olde tuxedo (dinner suit) got to fit with the Americans who like to dress up and will make up 98% of the passenger list no doubt.

aaah Les...you are not a "snob"

For me, and as it has been said before, formal nights are a respectful throw back to the grand old days of cruising.

I fancy some points are missed by those that want to "cheat"

Its all about dressing up - and that means for the ladies. Think about the Allan Border Medal night or the Brownlow Medal night....all the girls dress up in their finery and are (quite correctly) the centre of attention. The men just dress to complement them - its a point of respect.

Indeed, I have been closely involved with the Queensland Sport Awards for a number of years, and for that night we insist that it is a "black tie" event. The ladies I know welcome this rule.

I take my penguin suit jacket and matching trousers that can be worn at other times. To be honest the jacket and fancy shirt do NOT take up that much room in the luggage.

If I am the only one with a tux on our cruise in a couple of weeks time I will not feel out of place...but perhaps others might. Shirley of course will look magnificent as she always does.

Hey, I can look as daggy and as uncouth as anyone...so its a bit of a buzz to take the opportunity to dress up...even if I am on holidays.

That's my two bobs worth !

cheers

I'm also pleased that Princess makes an effort to maintain a dress code on formal nights. We enjoy dressing up and it does take the glitz off the evening when you see a handful of 'uncoated' gents in the dining room.

Personally, I don't like jeans in the dining room of an evening.

That's just my tuppence on the dress query you have Cruizer123.

Hope you have a lovely trip.

Cheers,

Anna

Smoking is not allowed any more in any cabin as per my last cruise confirmation.

It doesnt mention balconies but I feel it means that too.

hi kasey, smoking is allowed in the cabins and on balconies if the other person dosent mind and the only place you can smoke inside is in part of jammers nightclub

that is princess's policy but p&o is different, smoking is not allowed in the cabins or balconies

bob

hi kasey, smoking is allowed in the cabins and on balconies if the other person dosent mind and the only place you can smoke inside is in part of jammers nightclub

that is princess's policy but p&o is different, smoking is not allowed in the cabins or balconies

bob

We were on the Sun Princess in Feb. My husband is a smoker and we had a mini-suite with balcony. He smoked on the balcony but not in the room as I am a non-smoker. However, even if I didn't mind him smoking in the room I would not have allowed it as the smell goes into the furnishings and curtains and for the people on the next cruise who are non-smokers the smell would still be there. Not fair to them. Although some selfish smokers probably wouldn't even think of this. Anyway on the desk in your room you will find a non-smoking warning pertaining to the cabins. In several of the princess patters on board there was requests that smokers refrain from smoking in the cabins. You can also smoke on the port side promenade deck and the pool deck port side near the bar.

Get dressed up it is fun. Make sure your hubby wears at least a suit - they really look spunky in suits especially if they don't wear them all the time.

We were on the Sun Princess in Feb. My husband is a smoker and we had a mini-suite with balcony. He smoked on the balcony but not in the room as I am a non-smoker. However' date=' even if I didn't mind him smoking in the room I would not have allowed it as the smell goes into the furnishings and curtains and for the people on the next cruise who are non-smokers the smell would still be there. Not fair to them. Although some selfish smokers probably wouldn't even think of this. Anyway on the desk in your room you will find a non-smoking warning pertaining to the cabins. In several of the princess patters on board there was requests that smokers refrain from smoking in the cabins. You can also smoke on the port side promenade deck and the pool deck port side near the bar.

Get dressed up it is fun. Make sure your hubby wears at least a suit - they really look spunky in suits especially if they don't wear them all the time.[/quote']

hi, i dont want to get into a debate about smoking but this is princess policy

Princess Non-smoking areas include all dining rooms, or any other food service area, and in show lounges and theaters on Princess' ships. Smoking is only allowed in staterooms, stateroom balconies and designated areas. Smoking pipes and cigars is prohibited in all public rooms aboard their ships

whilst we were on the Dawn Princess i did not see any non smoking signs in the cabins and it had it in the patter where you could smoke

with the P&O ships there is no smoking in the cabins or balconies

rkmw

Archived