Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

They say that desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd say that this qualifies as desperate.

Ya. I suppose, though, that Royal Caribbean could start by offering fares that were commensurate with their product. Have you seen their Europe pricing? Haha.

Seriously, what next?

I don't have the numbers, but I wonder how long it will take before the number of Diamond plus members reaches a level that they will have to consider similar measures for us. Perhaps they do need to re-examine the way in which cruise credits are accrued.:confused:

That should have been the first thing they rectified before any other changes. I also agree it's only a matter of time before an additional crown and anchor level will be created and the diamond plus members will be kicked out of the lounge next. Or maybe it will eventually be limited to Grand Suite and above only. I just don't think we should be surprised by anything.

Let's look at this from RCI's point of view, since many of you are saying that they are forgetting their "loyal" customers.

Sure, they are taking something away for now, but don't you think that they are trying to encourage you to sail with them more to get to the highest level within C&A and receive those additional benefits.

From RCI's bottom line it's not just the cost of the CL drinks. When several hundred of us find ourselves in the overflow lounge from 5:30 'til 8:30 there is also a large amount of lost revenue because the big bar is closed to all of the other guests who would be going for a before/after dinner drink. It also closes a live entertainment venu to non-tipping customers. OK, like Patti said, my rationale sucks too but I see the point.

From a new diamond member's perspective I would like to see some sort of coupon or certificate or something for a comp'd beverage. Guest entertainers sometimes have their sea-pass card marked "10% off bar price" or words to that affect. It could be done. We'll see.

Anyway, at least RCI is going to stay in bussiness!!!!! Let's see what happens.

BTW: Does anyone know what's in the "new Ultimate Value Booklet with coupons for various onboard amenities" includes?

I'm seeing no reason to stay loyal to Royal any longer. I was able to benefit from the concierge lounge on one cruise and now have lost that privilege. I guess that's whats called a Royal Screwing!:mad: I booked a transatlantic for November last year and now I'm really not looking forward to it as much as I was. I also, just today, placed a 12 cruise on hold for 2010. Not so sure I'll book it now! Sure gives a person something to think about. What will they take away next?

At least you got to use it once. After 5 years of taking mostly 7 day cruises (not the 3 day ones) my DW and I made Diamond last October. We scheduled two 14 day cruises and one 6 day cruise over a 13 month period (Nov 2009, Jan 2010 and Oct 2010) so we could relax and enjoy our newly awarded benefits. Not sure what I will do but we were spending some big money on those 14 day cruises and will now look at alternatives that may not be so pricey.

I hope they consider at least some free drink coupons in the diamond book.

Mike

Just wrote Mr. Goldstein. Here is my reply:

In regard to the recent post on the Crown and Anchor Benefits page, I must say that my wife and I are truly angry and feel betrayed. We have been very loyal to RC for the required cruises to attain Diamond Status. After the first couple of cruises - we did this SOLELY to achieve the benefits promised. To now take those benefits away (Concierge Lounge Access) only makes us question our future loyalty to RC. There are many other cruiselines to choose from, and we will be now looking at them for our cruise vacations. Before this change, we were never going to stray from Royal Caribbean. This has made us consider other options - GOOD JOB ROYAL CARIBBEAN! You "stabbed us in the back" - not to mention all the folks on Cruise Critic that will be reading this

I know, it's a bit harsh, but I am still P.O.'ed.

I would imagine that Royal Caribbean will be reading every word of this thread.

I would agree that if repeat cruisers account for 50% of cruise revenues (per the recent CNBC show) that it makes no sense to anger their loyalty base. I would think they'd be doing what they could to encourage rather than discourage repeat business.

I'm getting close to D+ so I'll hang in there. It doesn't make sense to start over with another line at my cruise credit level. DH won't be happy about doing without his fancy morning coffee during his next few cruises though.

It does not look as though the additional suite credits have been removed (see member benefits all levels) nor have the balcony discounts. I just called and requested these be applied to the two cruises I've just booked (after 7/1/09) and this was done immediately.

With the new CL access rules, I wonder if there will be an increase in Freedom Class bookings?

While I can certainly sympathize with my Diamond friends I don't think any of us can really be surprised by this. Something had to give eventually. They've been contemplating changes for approximately two years already and this is what they came up with. The Concierge Lounges have become unusable lately with over crowding, people sneaking friends in, and various other abuses. If use of the lounge is so important to you then book more cruises to achieve the Diamond Plus level. That's what we did since we knew this was inevitable. Another thing being overlooked is the fact that this change will really hurt the concierges. Think of all the tips they will be losing with a lack of diamond members.

Tony, I understand the economics of it but they have not replaced the benefit with anything meaningful to me. I can't see booking cruises just to get back the benefit since it could disappear again.

I think that now would be the time to repeat:

Royal Caribbean could pretty much *solve the problem of too many Diamonds* by restricting Diamond status to those who have actually sailed the requisite number of cruises.

I totally agree with you.

Here is the pointless email I just received back from Crown and Anchor on this. The only thing it seems to prove is they had their response ready before anyone complained and they are not taking complaints all that seriously.

=====================================================

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your benefits. The limited capacity of the Concierge Lounge has not been able to accommodate our growing membership program. This has challenged our ability to provide the finest experience for our members and guests. The exceptions made in the past have caused undesirable experiences for our suite guests and Crown & Anchor Society members, which we can no longer accommodate. The Concierge Lounge will now be accessible to our suite and Diamond Plus guests only.

Diamond members cruising on the Freedom of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas class ships will continue to be able to use all current amenities in the dedicated Diamond Lounge on these ships. They will feature a complimentary happy hour from 5-8:30 pm daily.

Please note that there will be a new special event for all ships without a Diamond Lounge, hosted by our ships officers for Diamond and Diamond Plus members to get together with other fellow members. This event will feature complimentary wine, champagne and hors d oeuvres.

The Crown & Anchor Society members and past guests are important to us, and this is reflected in everything we do at Royal Caribbean International. We hope that the overall new services, programs and amenities along with Gold Anchor Service provided by our dedicated staff and crew are valuable to your experience.

We have forwarded your comments and concerns to the appropriate personnel. We appreciate you taking the time to forward these comments to us.

I think that now would be the time to repeat:

Royal Caribbean could pretty much *solve the problem of too many Diamonds* by restricting Diamond status to those who have actually sailed the requisite number of cruises.

If you get rid of all the "household members" who get Diamond status regardless of how many times they have (or haven't) cruised based merely on the fact that a real Diamond cruiser uses the same address that they do, then I believe that the "problem" goes away.

How about it, Royal Caribbean? If you are in the mood to make changes and overhaul Crown & Anchor, THAT would be a good place to start.

NOT THIS.

You will alienate far fewer people who can no longer claim illegitimate, unearned Diamond status than you are now, dumping Diamonds out of the Concierge Lounge.

Who agrees with me?

Agreed

DH & I have 22 cruise credits--most earned the hard way, one 7-nt cruise in an OV cabin per year. Instead of one 7-nt. cruise in 2010, we were thinking of booking two to finally reach D+. But why should we? By the time we do that, RCI could easily change the D+ benefits, too.

And what's the big deal about adding a diamond party? Last month on the Voyager they had a diamond lunch in the dining room the last day. And except for a couple of glasses of house wine, all they did was serve us chicken we had already paid for!

Guess they must expect to be able to fill all those big ships with first-time cruisers, because they sure can't depend on the repeat business they once had. Good luck with that....

But it isnt just about the drinks....its the ice show tickets..reservations for speciality restaurants...excursions...and all the other things the Concierge would normally be able to do for Diamond members.

All of which you can easily do for yourself.

Tony, I understand the economics of it but they have not replaced the benefit with anything meaningful to me. I can't see booking cruises just to get back the benefit since it could disappear again.

Lee, I think from Royal's perspective they feel if the lounge is so important to certain passengers they will book more cruises to reach the next level. At least that's what they are hoping for. As it was explained to me the Concierge Lounge was never intended to be for Diamond members in the beginning. It was suppose to be for suite guests only. One concierge (Francois) decided to let a diamond member use the lounge and it snowballed after that where they eventually opened it up to all diamond members. Obviously Royal didn't have the foresight to realize it would eventually get out of control.

We had to know this was coming. It had gotten totally out of hand --especially when one could become diamond with 3 short cruises in a jr. suite mentalilty. We have seen 700-800+ D & D+ cruisers on recent cruises and it was necessary to use the large lounges. They could not continue on without changes.

I agree. I always wondered what the suite guests thought about their exclusive perk for paying thousands more when it was overrun by hundreds of people. Even when they started using the overflow lounge it was still packed. And if you couldn't get a seat, too bad because you couldn't leave with your drink. Interesting that they will be retaining the diamond lounge on the Freedom/Oasis class. It might not be a cost thing. So perhaps a CC petition to convert the lounges in the Viking Crown of the Voyager/Radiance class would work?

But it isnt just about the drinks....its the ice show tickets..reservations for speciality restaurants...excursions...and all the other things the Concierge would normally be able to do for Diamond members.

I beg to differ. I think if you took a poll, this is most definitely about the drinks:D...

still not sure you can find a line with better loyalty benefits

you people that want to switch lines are not so bright, you're going to leave just because you cant have the lounge? you aren’t getting the lounge on any other line either and you're not going to have the other benefits... ever think about that? :rolleyes:

maybe you should think twice before making such rash decisions

We enjoyed a glass of wine or two in the lounge before dinner. We are not allowed to bring our own wine aboard. Carnival allows us to bring a bottle of wine each on board. It appears we can still have our free before dinner wine on Carnival. This is just something to add into the decision equation. The not so bright quip is not appreciated.

I agree. I always wondered what the suite guests thought about their exclusive perk for paying thousands more when it was overrun by hundreds of people. Even when they started using the overflow lounge it was still packed. And if you couldn't get a seat, too bad because you couldn't leave with your drink. Interesting that they will be retaining the diamond lounge on the Freedom/Oasis class. It might not be a cost thing. So perhaps a CC petition to convert the lounges in the Viking Crown of the Voyager/Radiance class would work?

In reality this decision is part of Royal's upgraded "suite perks."

I'm "in the same boat" as mikeb123. We just reached Diamond. We now won't have the CL to look forward to. I can't say that this will keep me from cruising RC. I've never had the CL before and won't know what I"m missing. It would have been nice, though. I have only cruised Royal because I wanted to obtain the Diamond status and I have always been completely satisfied with Royal cruises.

We usually take a womens cruise every year and I take about 15-20 others along with me. I always plan the cruise, so RCCL it is! I will now look around and possibly "GET OUT THERE" on other lines.

I'm "in the same boat" as mikeb123. We just reached Diamond. We now won't have the CL to look forward to. I can't say that this will keep me from cruising RC. I've never had the CL before and won't know what I"m missing. It would have been nice, though. I have only cruised Royal because I wanted to obtain the Diamond status and I have always been completely satisfied with Royal cruises.

We usually take a womens cruise every year and I take about 15-20 others along with me. I always plan the cruise, so RCCL it is! I will now look around and possibly "GET OUT THERE" on other lines.

Aha! Now the new marketing program makes sense. WHY NOT... take away C&A benefits? :D

Do you guys like the Freedom or Oasis classes at all? You will still have access to the Diamond Club (which IS better than the CL) on those ship classes.:)

Archived