Anyone ever walked to port of Miami from Bayside?

wildcatt99

We're staying at the Hoilday inn the night before, and I thought I read somewhere that there was a walkway from bayside to the port. If anyone has ever done this, can you post some information on the approx. distance and how long it takes to walk it. We don't mind paying for a taxi, but if it's not a bad walk, we might give it a try. Thanks for any information provided.

We're staying at the Hoilday inn the night before, and I thought I read somewhere that there was a walkway from bayside to the port. If anyone has ever done this, can you post some information on the approx. distance and how long it takes to walk it. We don't mind paying for a taxi, but if it's not a bad walk, we might give it a try. Thanks for any information provided.

I´ve walked from the Bayside shopping center to the ship when Miami was a port of call. It is doable and I recall there being a walkway across the bridge, however no way I would do it with luggage, JMHO.

We walked FROM the port to Bayside a couple years ago after our cruise. We didn't have any luggage, since we were able to pre-check it with American at the time. Also, I don't know if the Port authority will let you "walk through" their security checkpoint. It would be a long way across the bridge with luggage, and all the traffic. Get the taxi, well worth it. You can walk over first thing in the morning to the top of the bridge to see the ships. Then, you will realize just how long it does take.

In the "old" days we would spend the day at bayside and then take DD over to watch the ship sail - we were able to get close enough to almost touch the ship. But those days are over.

Not sure how security would handle this.

Take a taxi.

We have walked to Bayside from the ship when we did a B2B cruise. It was easy and it too about 20 minutes. I would not do it with luggage. There were no traffic problems.

To the contrary of everyone here, my sister and I walked from the ship to the Holiday Inn. We each had our wheelie carry-on bags. Walking to the bridge was weird...no real sidewalks or anything. Kind of industrial looking. But no cars either. There was a security guy there who had no problem with what we were doing.

Everyone keeps saying that you shouldn't walk over the bridge with luggage because of traffic. Traffic is why we did the walk, actually. The traffic was barely moving. But I don't understand what traffic has to do with walking over the bridge - there's a wide sidewalk...you don't have to walk INTO the traffic.

It was a little tough because the bridge is uphill and then downhill. But it only took about 20 minutes.

But if you're talking about walking from the hotel to the ship, there's no reason to walk it. I was in a cab and when we went over the bridge on the morning of the cruise, there wasn't too much traffic, and from your hotel it'll be no more than $10.

We have walked from the ship to Bayside on more than one occasion. Like someone else said, the sidewalks are wide so you are not walking in the traffic. It will take about 20-30 minutes depending on how fast a walker you are.

There is a port bus that goes from Bayside Shopping Center (right across the street from the Holiday Inn) to the port for maybe a $1 or $1.50. You could check the bus schedule where the buses stop for the exact times. We've taken that bus, also, and the driver actually dropped us off in front of the terminal.

But I agree with the others, if you have luggage, go ahead and get a taxi. At least you won't arrive all sweaty. :eek:

My wife and I walked it several times a couple of years ago. Actually we started off quite a bit further than Bayside. There is a walkway over the bridge. I would not do it with luggage though. If you plan to do that just take a cab. Otherwise, if you just want to walk, it will be fine.

Keith

My wife and I walked it several times a couple of years ago. Actually we started off quite a bit further than Bayside. There is a walkway over the bridge. I would not do it with luggage though. If you plan to do that just take a cab. Otherwise, if you just want to walk, it will be fine.

Keith

Good advice, but, I've done it too with manageable luggage on wheels. In addition, I would caution anyone to use the crosswalk between the American Center and Bayside. I've seen several people crossing the busy street away from the crosswalk, which is dangerous.

Safe, happy travels to all. :)

Archived