New Canon underwater digital camera

AryMay

Featfan,

If you are still looking for an answer on the question on DiCapac. I also have one and found that I had the black corners from the lens not fitting into the bag tightly.

I found that if you use either a rolled paper towel or small sock and put that in the bag first then the camera, the camera will fit in the bag tighter and it will stay in place. That should eliminate the black corners. You just need to play with it and see what works to "fill up" the extra space and make the camera stay in the right spot.

I had a Canon A75 and now I have an A85, both cameras use the same underwater case... I am a diver and have had the camera down to 100+ feet . Love the pictures. IMHO a underwater case is the only way to go! Now I have also used that same case on a windy day with all sorts of "crap" in the air and guess what you don't have to worry about sand and grit getting into the camera....

• 1 month later...

We purchased the 1070 last year for our cruise....found that @ $369.00 (Sam's Club) it was a bit much. We had water dropplets on some photos. Sometimes my finger got in the way (showed in the photo) due to button placement. Also, was unaware that it is recommened the rubber housing be replaced annually. We returned the camera after the cruise.

Also, we are sailing on the Freedem July 4th!

We are sailing on the Freedem on July 4th also. Looking to purchasing the canon D50 for this trip. May have to stick with the throw aways for underwater then.

I just ordered the Canon D10 today from Amazon. Am anxious to get it so I can play with it before the cruise.

See you on the Freedom!!

Ahoy!

'We' currently use a Canon SD 870 IS and the Canon waterproof case (WP something or other) and used the underwater setting. Examples of some underwater shots are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/prescottbob412

Just click on the 11-28-08 Bonaire album or the 12-14-08 Barbados album.

I did use photoshop elements (the enhance feature only) to spruce up the colors a bit.

I recently purchased (DW's birthday) the Canon D10 for an upcoming trip Jan '10 so we will no longer need to share a underwater point and shoot (DW gets the new one, I'll use the 'older' Canon).

Have a wonderful cruise!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Canon D10 today for fathers day. Have spent a little time playing with it and so far so good. Pictures seem to be pretty good. Controls are solid and definitely built more rugged than most digital cameras. Also feels and looks a little different that you standard small point and shoot Canons. Only downside so far is that the camera seems a little slow when it comes to the next shoot. Granted, I am comparing this to my SX1 which is pretty quick. I got this for our next cruise to take underwater pictures so I am going to try and test it underwater (think I let DD take it into the pool if it stops raining today) Pictures look pretty good so far. I will try and post some when I get a few decent ones taken.

I just got the Canon D10 today for fathers day. Have spent a little time playing with it and so far so good. Pictures seem to be pretty good. Controls are solid and definitely built more rugged than most digital cameras. Also feels and looks a little different that you standard small point and shoot Canons. Only downside so far is that the camera seems a little slow when it comes to the next shoot. Granted, I am comparing this to my SX1 which is pretty quick. I got this for our next cruise to take underwater pictures so I am going to try and test it underwater (think I let DD take it into the pool if it stops raining today) Pictures look pretty good so far. I will try and post some when I get a few decent ones taken.

I started this thread several months ago and also just got my Canon D10 this past week. I "think" I'm going to like it...but still haven't gotten up the nerve to put it in the water yet! Our cruise is less than 2 weeks away so its time to do it!

Let me know about your pictures. I do know in this month's Consumer Reports the Olympus Tough 8000 and 1050 were ranked higher than the Pentax. I am a novice. My DH takes all the pictures, but I was so disappointed with my snorkeling pictures taken in St. John last year that I want a p&s that will take underwater pics. I could see the turtles and a few fish, but could not make out the squid, octopus, lots of other things and the color wasn't right with the disposable. My husband uses a Nikon Coolpix 550 and we have an Olympus C765. I will learn a little about using this one. I have a week at the beach in 4 weeks and then my cruise so y'all let me know about the Canon. Also, if anyone can compare the Olympus 8000 and 1050. I'd rather spend less $, but not if the pictures aren't decent.

Let DD take it into the water yesterday. Due to the rain, filled the tub, put her in her suit and gave her toys. Pictures were okay, but I do not think a bathtub is an ideal testing ground. It was interesting that the flash went off while in the water. The few pictures we took were pretty clear. No problem seeing the LCD underwater. No issues with the camera and the water. The camera does have 4 corner points that allow you to attached the included lanyard to and those did seem to hold a little moister, but no big deal. So far so good.

I started this thread several months ago and also just got my Canon D10 this past week. I "think" I'm going to like it...but still haven't gotten up the nerve to put it in the water yet! Our cruise is less than 2 weeks away so its time to do it!

Replying to my own post...I did finally get up the nerve to stick my camera in our lake today. Good news...the camera functioned perfectly and didn't die instantly as I feared. Bad news...the lakes in this part of Minnesota do not lend themselves to good photography. I will try and post a photo or two from the beautiful Caribbean when we return from our cruise in a few weeks.

In the meantime...here is an example of a close-up taken with the Canon D10.

IMG_0058.JPG

I bought the Olympus Tough, Pentio Optio and the Canon d10 and took pictures inside my pool and oustide the pool. The hands down winner by a landslide was the Canon d10. Its selling for $286 now at Amazon.

The picture quality was typical of Canon which is superb. I had a Nikon and a Sony before this and I sold on Canon. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another Canon for my gf today after receiving the d10 earlier this week. Cannot wait to try it out on my upcoming cruise.

I bought the Olympus Tough, Pentio Optio and the Canon d10 and took pictures inside my pool and oustide the pool. The hands down winner by a landslide was the Canon d10. Its selling for $286 now at Amazon.

The picture quality was typical of Canon which is superb. I had a Nikon and a Sony before this and I sold on Canon. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another Canon for my gf today after receiving the d10 earlier this week. Cannot wait to try it out on my upcoming cruise.

Ughh...hate to hear the price is that low...I paid over $300 from Amazon just a couple of weeks ago. Oh well...one week from today we will be en route to our cruise and I wanted to have it in plenty of time to figure out how to use it.

got back monday night from cruise in the galapagos. used the canon d10 for lots of underwater pix and video. everything came out great...got lots of impressive comments from fellow cruise passengers.

ellen

• 1 month later...

I am the OP and am back from my cruise using the Canon D10. Overall I am very pleased with the camera. I love taking pictures...but do not want a fussy camera and the functions on the Canon D10 were easy to learn and easy to use.

The one negative is that the camera is a bit bulkier than my old Canon SD200. I love the size of the SD200...I find I carry it more and use it more because it is so small. On the other hand...there were a couple of times I used the D10 in the rain and would have been afraid of ruining the old camera.

I also like having a camera with a higher resolution...the D10 is 12 mp. I was able to crop photos and get much better results.

Here are some examples of the photos I took with the D10:

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

Here is one using the "sunset" setting...and then extreme cropping:

IMG_0372.JPG

And lastly...a link to a video taken with the D10. (I actually forgot to take any underwater video. Guess I'll have to do that next time!

I was pretty nervous using this camera underwater, but it worked flawlessly. (I've read a few reviews where some people were not so lucky.) I followed the directions and soaked the camera in fresh water for several hours after it had been in salt water.

Here is the link to one more video where I used the Canon D10 in the rain. The sound is not great since it was so windy.

I just thought of one more negative that really doesn't have anything to do with the camera itself...

I tried making a DVD slideshow of our cruise pictures and wanted to add a couple of videos as well. I used Windows Moviemaker and because of the file format of the video taken by the Canon there was no sound on the DVD. I ended up just having music in the background, but I was disappointed.

From what I was able to find, this is a compatability problem between all video taken on digital cameras and the Windows Moviemaker software (Mac software does not have this issue). There are programs that can be purchased to convert the file format into one that Moviemaker recognizes...but I'm not willing to go to that extent for a few minutes of video.

AryMay

Could you check the location of the pics you posted yesterday.

Every one I tried to bring up indicated "Couldn't be found".

Thanks

Hmmmm...I see what you mean! :( I switch back and forth between using IE and Google Chrome as my browsers...not sure if that has anything to do with the problem. I also had some photos that weren't showing up in my cruise review...and then reposted them in IE and that seemed to help...at least yesterday. Now I just checked and SOME of those photos are now gone as well. :mad:

Anyway...I just tried reposting the photos...and it isn't working. <sigh>

The weird thing (at least to me) is that all of these photos I posted are also in my cruise review...and they are still there.! So...until the mystery of the missing photos is solved...you can go to my review (link in signature). I think all of the photos I posted on this thread were from our day in Cozumel....the same photos

are on page 2 of the review.

Is there anyone smarter than me (which doesn't take much!) who can figure out this problem?

:confused:

odd.. I can't see the pics in the forum but if I right click and open in new window i see them...

Very nice pics... gonna have to save my pennies for one of those cameras now! :D

EDIT: I just refreshed and the pics are now showing in the post,, Weird

• 3 weeks later...
Just found out that Canon is coming out with a new digital camera (D10 I think) that is waterproof to 10 meters (33 ft.) and also able to withstand a drop from 4 ft. From what I've read the camera won't be released until possibly May. I have a Canon SD200 that I really like, but thinking it would be great to have a small digital that could tolerate getting wet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this camera or other waterproof cameras? I know Olympus has a similar type camera but I would like to stick with a camera that uses the SD camera cards.

I have an Olympus Stylus 720 sw that can go down 5 ft and be dropped from 14 ft. The camera is easy to use for snorkling and really inexpensive, but the screen is hard to see when you have a mask on and your floating and trying to hold still. Point, shoot and pray is more like it. I have captured a few good pics though and it is fun. This camera is better suited to taking pics of family and friends playing in the water than underwater pics.

Archived