Differences in Oceania/Seabourn?

KathyPet

We have sailed Seabourn twice (Caribbean and Baltic) but will be taking our first Oceania cruise for 14 days from Venice to Barcelona. Seabourn ships are smaller with fewer passengers and are "all inclusive" for wine and alcholic beverages, standard cabin is 240 sq feet. Night life is very limited. I really like the way they handle dinner seating with invitations under your cabin door almost every morning inviting you to sit at a table for 10 "hosted" by one of the crew officers. Great way to meet your fellow passengers.

Has anyone sailed both lines who could comment on the differences we will find?

Seabourn is a much more deluxe operation, but you already knew that, from having compared the fares.

Oceania is very very nice, but the servant ratio on Seabourn makes it more elegant. On Seabourn, you never feel as if the staff has anything else to do but wait on you.

The ships officers do not regularly host tables on Oceania, although the Captain, Purser and/or Chief Engineer do, occasionally.

The food in the restaurants on Oceania (at least to our minds) is every bit as good as Seabourn, although, to be fair, the caviar is not thrown about with the same joie de vivre.

On Oceania, the in suite dining is fabulous, and every bit the equivalent of that experience on Seabourn. In a standard on Oceania, the room service is adequate, nothing more.

Unless you're in a suite on Oceania, you'll find your room very cramped compared to Seabourn. Particularly the seating area.

That being said, we found that the passengers on both lines were remarkably similar. Perhaps because neither line features their nightlife.

The lounges do a rousing cocktail business until 10pm, everything is dead by midnight.

Interestingly, although the passengers are slightly younger on Oceania, they are much more physically fit on Seabourn.

The libraries on Oceania are far superior, however, the O ships have nothing that even compares to "the Marina" on Seabourn. No other cruise line has anything like that.

watersports-marina.jpg

Just a couple of more points. On Seabourn the suites are 277 sq. ft., not 240. And on the new Odyssey they start at around 300. As JimandStan points out you have to go to a PH at least on O to get anything near that.

Oceania is a wonderful product. The service and food are terrific, especially in the two specialty restaurants. I am a very frequent Seabourn sailor and was more than happy with the food.

The biggest difference between the two to me is that on Seabourn you really have much more of a feeling of being a guest because everything is included. It changes the atmosphere. As for caviar, it can be had any time, anywhere, as much and as often as you want. But you know that.

I have only sailed O once and was very happy. If you find an itinerary you like I'd say give it a try. Just don't expect the same level of service.

Seabourn is a much more deluxe operation, but you already knew that, from having compared the fares.

Oceania is very very nice, but the servant ratio on Seabourn makes it more elegant. On Seabourn, you never feel as if the staff has anything else to do but wait on you.

The ships officers do not regularly host tables on Oceania, although the Captain, Purser and/or Chief Engineer do, occasionally.

The food in the restaurants on Oceania (at least to our minds) is every bit as good as Seabourn, although, to be fair, the caviar is not thrown about with the same joie de vivre.

On Oceania, the in suite dining is fabulous, and every bit the equivalent of that experience on Seabourn. In a standard on Oceania, the room service is adequate, nothing more.

Unless you're in a suite on Oceania, you'll find your room very cramped compared to Seabourn. Particularly the seating area.

That being said, we found that the passengers on both lines were remarkably similar. Perhaps because neither line features their nightlife.

The lounges do a rousing cocktail business until 10pm, everything is dead by midnight.

Interestingly, although the passengers are slightly younger on Oceania, they are much more physically fit on Seabourn.

The libraries on Oceania are far superior, however, the O ships have nothing that even compares to "the Marina" on Seabourn. No other cruise line has anything like that.

watersports-marina.jpg

Stan&Jim,

Although I haven't been on Seabourne, the Paul Gaugin does have a similar marina for water sports. I can't say how they compare though.

the Paul Gaugin does have a similar marina for water sports

Yes, but as Regent is withdrawing her, is the comparison usefull?

We don't think she'll last under the single ship "Paul Gaugin Cruises" banner for more than six months.

It's tough for any single ship, and at 10 to 25k (for two) for a 9 day cruise PG is an extremely high ticket trip......plus the airfare to Tahiti, mind you!

I agree, I was just replying to the "no other cruise line has anything like that. "

Airfare is not that bad on Air Tahiti Nui. It's only a 8-9 hour trip from LA.

We don't think she'll last under the single ship "Paul Gaugin Cruises" banner for more than six months. !

We really enjoyed our cruise on the Paul Gauguin last year. We would have loved to go back in another year or two. I wish the crew in particular all the best because there are many wonderful people on board. However, I fear that you will ultimately be proven correct.

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic...

DW & I have done 5 Seabourn & 5 O sailings. Stopped sailing on Seabourn because of the horrible,lax smoking policy. On our last Seabourn sailing (London to NY in 2005), could not use the Constellation Lounge because of 4 chain smokers. The hotel manager, with whom we had sailed before, refused to do anything about the problem. That's why we sail O.

Food and service is comparable. Because of the size of the Seabourn ships, they can be more selective on staff. And with Seabourn, one does seem to get more attention. That said, we have grown tired of formal and "semi-formal" nights. Love the O policy on dressing.

We tried to book on Seabourne last year and having checked out their dress code we were rather surprised to find that in the Carribean is is more relaxed with Country Club Casual but in the Med they stick to more formal attire in the evenings.

When I questioned that on CC I was told that " I should go out and buy a Silk Jacket to wear in the evenings or else dine in my cabin "

We booked elsewhere.

Brian

Brian,

Whoever told you that was talking out of his rear end. Seabourn is in the process of becoming more casual. Yes, they still have formal nights but there are alternative restaurants where one can dress more casually on formal nights. You can use all the public rooms as well. And on the new ships there will be even more options for casual attire. PLus they are allocating fewer nights as formal to begin with. Another telling sign is that formal nights are now "Black tie suggested" not required. True, Oceania's casual dress code is freer and I happen to love it but SB's is not as rigid as it used to be.

Wripro - Intereresting that SB is loosening its "dress code". But what about its smoking policy. Still onerous?

StanandJim - On our last two O sailings we dined with the GM (Insignia) & the Food & Bev. Mgr. (Regatta). The latter was probably due to all the dinees receiving their bronze award.

There is no longer smoking in the restaurant or the club at all. The only indoor location that still allows smoking is one side of the Observation Lounge. It is definitely easy to avoid smokers now.

WriPro

If you look through the threads you will find the one I started and the vehement responses it provoked.

Even I was shocked at the attitude of some Posters. Some were of course much more relaxed but it is clear that there is an " Old Guard " who do not want change.

Brian

Another difference if you need fresh air is balconies on Oceania. I have serious allergies to mold which all ships have in their air-conditioning systems (can't be helped if you're at sea all the time), thus I need to have doors that open to a balcony. I don't believe that Seab. has balconies. ddcruiser

ddcruiser,

Balconies will no longer be an issue for Seabourn beginning June 24th when the Odyssey, the first of three new Seabourn ships, debuts. 90% of suites will have balconies, which will, btw, be wider than standard balconies on most ships.

Brian,

I remember the thread very well re: not wanting change but these old timers are butting their heads against a wall that will ultimately come down. The fact is that Seabourn and other lines are going after a younger demographic which does not like to dress formally. That is why there are now alternatives on formal night. And that is why the new ships will be decidedly less formal than previously. I am booked on the Odyssey maiden voyage, a 14 day cruise which is scheduled to have only two formal nights. A couple of years ago a 14 day cruise would have had four formal nights.

Show me one cruise line on these threads that does not have a preponderance of territorial geezers! Criticize their preferred cruise line and you might as well be going after their grandchildren. I hardly think it impedes bookings though, just brings out the worst in people.

To some extent Seabourn's very territorial geezers have become an impediment to the line's ability to attract new passengers.

I believe it's their prices, formality and smoking regulations that are the impediments to their attracting new passengers.

I believe it's their prices, formality and smoking regulations that are the impediments to their attracting new passengers.

I agree, but smoking regulations far out weighs formality IMHO. DH actually likes to wear his tux, maybe because he knows how good he looks in it? :) I don't enjoy shopping for, or schlepping the dresses. Ya, I know, crazy. :rolleyes:

DW & I have done 5 Seabourn & 5 O sailings. Stopped sailing on Seabourn because of the horrible,lax smoking policy. On our last Seabourn sailing (London to NY in 2005), could not use the Constellation Lounge because of 4 chain smokers. The hotel manager, with whom we had sailed before, refused to do anything about the problem. That's why we sail O.

Food and service is comparable. Because of the size of the Seabourn ships, they can be more selective on staff. And with Seabourn, one does seem to get more attention. That said, we have grown tired of formal and "semi-formal" nights. Love the O policy on dressing.

The Seabourn Odyssey looks like it will be a wonderful ship, but I have to agree with Leonid regarding the lax smoking policy on Seabourn. That's a deal-breaker for us. Someone above posted that "one side" of the Observation Lounge will be non-smoking. Sorry, but that sounds like 50-50 to me, and that isn't a fair figure. It means far too much of the Observation Lounge may be smoky. The way Crystal handles it is better, i.e. the entire observation lounge (called the Palm Court) is non-smoking except for a few tables at the portside entrance. And of course the only smoking allowed there is cigarette smoking, no cigars or pipes.

Something else seems odd to me, and that's that the ships with the marinas and thus a lot of "hanging around in swimsuits" activities still have formal evenings. It seems so incongruous to me. Those types of activities which are suitable for marinas, being out in the sun and enjoying the sea, also tend to make me drowsy, and dressing up on days like that just wouldn't cut it.

You're right on about the smoking. When you have to deal with four chain smokers, the forward lounge just can't handle it. When I was young (according to the first Stars Wars movie "a long time ago and far away),I remember smokers lighting one cigarette off another. That's what we encountered on the last Seabourn sailing.

The old guard will continue to rule on Seabourn until nature takes its course. Then again, "all inclusive" cruising no longer interests us. One can only imbibe so much before detox/rehab beckons.

Archived