What ID do you take when in port?

Aquarian

I'm curious. What ID, if anything besides your Cruise Card, do you take with you while in port? We have always done water or beach excursions and just took our Cruise Cards along. On our last cruise going back to the ship, we were stopped by an official in Cozumel and asked for photo ID's. She gave us a hard time but we convinced her that we only had the Cruise Card and cash and she finally let us go. From now on, we will take additional ID along. This was the first time in many cruises.

I'm curious. What ID, if anything besides your Cruise Card, do you take with you while in port? We have always done water or beach excursions and just took our Cruise Cards along. On our last cruise going back to the ship, we were stopped by an official in Cozumel and asked for photo ID's. She gave us a hard time but we convinced her that we only had the Cruise Card and cash and she finally let us go. From now on, we will take additional ID along. This was the first time in many cruises.

We have found that if photo ID is required, you will normally see it printed in the Patter the night before. When that occurs, we take our drivers license with us in port. If we don't find the notice, or if it isn't announced, we take only our cruise card.

This also depends on the ports you are asking about, if you mean the Caribbean, then the above is how we handle it. If in the Med, or other distant port, we do it differently.

We have taken our driver's license, whether in the Caribbean or in Europe.

I always thought that the reason that ID was taken in addition to the ship card was as a backup to the cruise card. In other words, it is used to get on/off the ship. In most ports, I would not think that the passport would be needed since the ship is supposed to verify the citizenship of anybody that it allows on-shore, before the first person leaves the ship, after passing the local country's immigration requirements.

On the Caribbean cruises the official checking for a photo ID is really hit or miss, with miss happening the greatest amount of time. On our 3/10 Emerald cruise the notice about Photo I.D. was in the Patter for each one of our stops but the only port they asked to see it was Aruba. And, wouldn't you know it that was the one day DH didn't have his. The guard just shruged his shoulders and waved him through. Darn it all, an extended visit to Aruba would have suited me just fine. :D

Unless in Europe we never take a passport ashore.

We made a color copy but it too stays in the cabin safe.

Drivers license usually.

In the Caribbean we take cruise card, driver's license, and a color copy of our passports. These all go into a watertight box along with a credit card if we are swimming, so they are always with us.

The issue is preparedness for emergencies - if something really bad happens that we might miss the ship, we can be prepared. (and, no, I never made it past Cub Scouts...:rolleyes:)

We take driver's licenses and a copy of our passports.

When in Europe we've always had the cruiseline take our passports and return them before disembarkation so deciding whether or not to take our passports ashore there has never been an issue.

Passport

Cruise Card

Drivers License

Medical Health Insurance Card

Credit Card

I know some of you will think this is overkill, but in the event of an emergency I will be able to (a) prove my citzenship (b) get back to Canada © pay for any medical emergency (d) buy all the souveniers I want. I would never go ashore with only my cruise card - it is no good for anything but getting back on the ship.

What happens if you are in a Caribbean port and miss your ship? Is your driver's license enough to get you on flights? Is there a problem going through immigration with just a driver's license? I've always taken by passport but would love to leave it on the ship and use a color copy if it would work.

Thanks,

Laminated color copy of passport, cruise card and credit card. See no reason for drivers license unless renting a car.

We have taken our driver's license, whether in the Caribbean or in Europe.

In Europe the police can hassle you and even arrest you (most countries) if you dont provide proper ID. An american drivers license is not proper ID

In Europe the police can hassle you and even arrest you (most countries) if you dont provide proper ID. An american drivers license is not proper ID

Having sailed Princess in Europe, we have always had to surrender our passports to the cruiseline at embarkation and they were returned the night before disembarkation. We were provided with a receipt for our passport and told to carry that with a copy of our passport and photo id with us when in port. We've never encountered any issues with this.

We always carry copies of our passports when getting off the ship.

Before travelling, I scan the pages of our passports that show our name, passport number, photos, issue and expiry date. I then reduce them in size to about credit card size and print them on photo paper. Thus, the copies are easy to carry in a wallet or a purse.

I have used these forms of ID at banks and currency exchange offices in most parts of Europe and as photo ID when passing through Security on return to the ship. In addition, we will have always have some sort of ID to be used if we miss the ship and must fly to catch up or to return home.

Don

Color Copy of Passport.

Driver's License.

Cruise Card.

(Non-ID: Credit Card or ATM plus cash.)

(We usually take 4 or 5 color copies of Passport with us -- one for each suitcase and a couple of spares. BTW, laminating does not make anything more "official" although it makes it more durable.)

What happens if you are in a Caribbean port and miss your ship? Is your driver's license enough to get you on flights? Is there a problem going through immigration with just a driver's license? I've always taken by passport but would love to leave it on the ship and use a color copy if it would work.

Thanks,

I know that if you miss the ship and the ship has you passport, they will leave it with the port agent. I also have heard that if someone is not back, the ship will check your room and safe for passports and if they find them, they will leave them with the Port Agent.

I always thought that the reason that ID was taken in addition to the ship card was as a backup to the cruise card. In other words, it is used to get on/off the ship. In most ports, I would not think that the passport would be needed since the ship is supposed to verify the citizenship of anybody that it allows on-shore, before the first person leaves the ship, after passing the local country's immigration requirements.

It is the local laws of the country that may require that you have a photo ID with you. After all, you might lose your cruise card on shore and without the need for a photo ID, anybody could use the found card to get access to the port area. Should not be able to make it on board if the person checking the photo in the computer notices that the person who inserted the card looks nothing like you do.

I never *ever* took my passport with me until I was reading right here on CC and was reminded that if you get stranded/sick/whatever wherever you are you'll need your passport to fly home. Sounded pretty sane to me. I am nearly positive a color copy of your passport will NOT work at the airport, or through Customs/Immigration. I now take my cruise card and my passport if I'm not in a US port (being of US citizenship). Not to sound negative, and I've been guilty of this, but it's just not a good idea to set foot on foreign soil without your passport on your person.

I now find it odd that people don't just carry it with them, and don't know why I didn't think of this on my own. I will throw this out there: how many times have you or someone you actually know been relieved of their passport? And how many of those people were in an admittedly less secure situation that may have contributed to the loss? Example, my sister was relieved of cash/plane ticket/passport while on a trip to India many years ago. She was sleeping near a swimming area (travelling alone) and the items were unsecured in her backpack. She will readily admit that she did contribute to the outcome by having those items unsecured.

That also being said - you can get a passport replaced. Anywhere in the world. My sister went to the US Consulate in Bombay (now Mumbai), and they printed her a new one right there. You can also get a replacement in the US, just fill out the form.

I guess it's all about what you're comfortable with. Sure it's a PITA if the passport gets stolen, but it's a PITA if anything gets lost or stolen, and we're all adults, right? We manage to not get our cruise card or cash or credit cards stolen, I'm thinking we can all keep track of our passports?

One other note, I would also advise taking the passport into port in the USVI (St. Thomas); to fly out you are required to pass through US Customs/Immigration (though a passport is not required, a photo id and birth certificate were accepted as of last December). In Puerto Rico you will not be required to prove citizenship (of any kind) to return to the US mainland. Also remember, if you fly into the US from Mexico or Canada you will also need to show a passport, a passport card (which is okay for driving or cruising) will not be sufficient. For more information on US requirements, visit the US Dept of State website, http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html.

I'm not sure why so many people think a passport is a document to be hidden away. It is issued to be used, not locked up. When in a foreign county I carry the same things with me that I carry every day here. I do only take one credit card with me off the ship. If I'm ever in a situation that I don't make it back to the ship I don't want to complicate the situation by having only a seapass card and copy of my passport.

Passports often have to handed over to others. If you need a visa to enter a country you will have to send you passport to an agent who obtains visas. The agent will drop off the passport at the foreign consulate or embassy and pick it up several days later and then send it back to you. Even if you live near a consulate you have to leave your passport in foreign hands for several days to get the required visa.

On a cruise where visas are issued the day of arrival at a foreign port the ship will collect passports so agents of that country can issues the visas overnight, otherwise it would take hours to get off the ship.

I have copies of my passport in case I lose it or it's stolen not to use in lieu of the real thing.

Just the way I do it,

Rod

Both my most recent cruises (2008), Crown and Sea Princess, the Patters stated:

"Please insure that you have a Government issued picture ID with you before leaving the ship, as you will be required to show this at security checkpoints upon your return."

That security notice was included in the Patter for every port.

Some ports did, indeed, check for both a cruise card and photo ID.

is this relatively new or have we been missing this in the Patters for years?

That depends on the ports you have visited and when you visited them. We have had to show picture ID before in St. Martin and St. Thomas as well as distant ports in the past, some years yes, other years no, it must depend on the 'threat' at the time we visit. But for years (mainly since 9/11) it has been printed in the Princess patter the evening before. So, for about the last 8 years we have seen this requested in the Patter for some ports, so you can be prepared when re-boarding the ship.

I know that if you miss the ship and the ship has you passport, they will leave it with the port agent. I also have heard that if someone is not back, the ship will check your room and safe for passports and if they find them, they will leave them with the Port Agent.

Another local, I'm in San Francisco! :D Thanks for the info, I've often worried what would happen and carried my passport just in case but now I'll just carry a color copy.

Archived