Kotor, Montenegro

Here's an excerpt from my trip report of our stop when we were there in 9/06. You'll probably get some more recent replies, but maybe this will help a little.

Montenegro

Ship stopped in Kotor. We took one of the ship's tours (cause no private tours doing much here yet) which involved driving to the top of the mountain to see the bay which is a protected UNESCO cultural site. It was beautiful coming into the port. We then went to this little village known for its ham and stopped to enjoy a ham & cheese sandwich with local wine. Village set in the mountains that become very isolated in winter. Scenery was very green and hilly - a complete change from Greece. On to Cenjita (sp?) where we saw the home of King Nicolas. Russian influence was easily seen in all the furnishings, costumes. One of the oldest towns in the country. Drove back through one of their resort areas and then back to Kotor where we toured the town. Montenegro just elected its parliament in August, 2006 so it's going to be interesting to see how this country changes in the next few years. Still a little backward in the tourism area (not necessarily bad) and the countryside is beautiful.

Several years ago, while cruising w/ Oceania, we made a stop in Kotor. Hopefully, you will be cruising through the Bay of Kotor during daylight hours because the scenery along the way is magnificent. Lots of small towns hugging the shoreline w/ mountains as a backdrop. The towns folk would be waving from the street or from the windows of their home. Even the church bells tolled in welcome.

The ship tied up w/in spitting distance of the town itself, a small walled city at the base of a mountain. The buildings are close together & the streets meander; sidewalk cafes & little shops mixed in w/ the houses. Very quaint. We did a half day tour that took us to Sveti Stefan & Budva. S.S. is a small walled town on an "island" which is actually connected by a sandbar walkway. A few cafes, small church, nothing major; but again very quaint. Budva is larger, also a walled town on a very rocky beach. There are colorful boats bobbing the harbor w/ restaurants & shops at water's edge. We enjoyed the ride through the countryside & the view of the ship docked in the harbor below was beautiful right around sunset. We only had about an hr. to walk around Kotor before it got dark. IMO, there are very few tourist type attractions to draw you there; but I'm so glad I went. The area is unspoiled & filled w/ old world charm.

Would you recommend a half day excursion from Kotor? We have a full day there but although we usually like to explore independently anywhere that is new to us, I'm getting the impression that perhaps half a day is sufficient for Kotor itself.

Our cruise offes a trip to Piran and Portoroz - from Google Earth Piran looks quaint and interesting. Would anyone who has been there say that would be a reasonable half-day trip? (We would amble around the Old Town in Kotor on our return too.)

After your comments about S.S. and Budva, Liv, I'm gong to check out whether that is an excursion available to us too.

Our cruise offes a trip to Piran and Portoroz - from Google Earth Piran looks quaint and interesting. Would anyone who has been there say that would be a reasonable half-day trip? (We would amble around the Old Town in Kotor on our return too.)

After your comments about S.S. and Budva, Liv, I'm gong to check out whether that is an excursion available to us too.

Hello again,

Please ignore the reference to Piran - that's an excursion from Koper - another of our destinations. They're all new to me so I'm managing to get myself confused!!:confused:

We are going to Kotor too and the good news is our cruise line is offering trips to SS. and Budva so we may very well follow that one up.

Several years ago, while cruising w/ Oceania, we made a stop in Kotor. Hopefully, you will be cruising through the Bay of Kotor during daylight hours because the scenery along the way is magnificent. Lots of small towns hugging the shoreline w/ mountains as a backdrop. The towns folk would be waving from the street or from the windows of their home. Even the church bells tolled in welcome.

The ship tied up w/in spitting distance of the town itself, a small walled city at the base of a mountain. The buildings are close together & the streets meander; sidewalk cafes & little shops mixed in w/ the houses. Very quaint. We did a half day tour that took us to Sveti Stefan & Budva. S.S. is a small walled town on an "island" which is actually connected by a sandbar walkway. A few cafes, small church, nothing major; but again very quaint. Budva is larger, also a walled town on a very rocky beach. There are colorful boats bobbing the harbor w/ restaurants & shops at water's edge. We enjoyed the ride through the countryside & the view of the ship docked in the harbor below was beautiful right around sunset. We only had about an hr. to walk around Kotor before it got dark. IMO, there are very few tourist type attractions to draw you there; but I'm so glad I went. The area is unspoiled & filled w/ old world charm.

Liv4cruzin absolutely nailed it. What a spectacular port. We too visited Kotor on an Oceania cruise and had no idea what to expect. Budva is also worth visiting, especially if you enjoy watching young, attractive women stoll the walkway.;)

Bill

We were there in 2006, just after Montenegro declared its independence from Serbia...It was a new port for Oceania...

We also did the Sveti Stefan and Budva excursion...

If we were doing it again, I'd skip Sveti Stefan and just do a Budva excursion and spend the rest of the day in Kotor...Sveti Stefan was picturesque, but unexciting...

Budva was one of my favorites...We walked all the way around the walls of the old city...cost at the time--1 euro per person...and also strolled through the old city (the excursion had a bit of free time in Budva)...I will echo what Bill said...On our tour, all of the guys tried hard not to look like they were gawking lest they take verbal abuse from their wives...We were joking that the poor girls of Budva apparently could not afford more than minimal amounts of clothing...Seemed to be a requirement that one wear a bikini everywhere...

Kotor is pretty cool as well...another medeival walled city, not very large...The fortifications go up the mountain and many tried to climb those...We too sailed away at night and they had all of the walls lighted...pretty cool...

Have fun...

Thanks for all the replies.

So I take it Kotor itself is pretty easy to walk around on one's own. And the tour to Budva is the one to do, right?

Yes. IIRC we took the tour that included Budva for a few hours and then ended with a walking tour of Kotor. The walking tour was unncessary so we went off on our own for pizza and beer. The walk from town to ship is only a few steps--very convenient port. And, yes, Budva is interesting for a variety of reasons.

Bill

We were in Kotor last year as part of our land vacation to the area. I would also recommend a trip to Perast to visit the church in the middle of BOKA...called Our lady of the Rocks.

We absolutely loved Montenegro!

If you would like to view our photos of Kotor and Perast, see and video of Montenegro and see our Sights to See list.

We have them all on our personal travel website.

Just go to the link below and into Where we've been and Photo sections.

It is a beautiful area to visit, a charming town that is easy to navigate AND breathtaking scenary!

Enjoy the website info, I'm sure you will find it informative

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

• 2 months later...
Kotor is pretty cool as well...another medeival walled city, not very large...The fortifications go up the mountain and many tried to climb those...

Bruin Steve (or anyone else who can answer): We like a lot of walking and hiking, and a mountain hike in Kotor would be great. You said people "tried to climb." Any reports on their attempts -- successful or unsuccessful? Do you know if there are trails or roads to hike up the mountain? Or would we have to scale the fortifications and/or rocks?

Also, we're more into ancient cultures than we are into medieval or later. Based on looking at Cruise Critic and tour books, I think the answer to my next question will be "no" but I'll ask anyway. Is there anything left from the earlier civilizations of the Illyrians, Greeks, or Romans that we can visit in Kotor -- or nearby?

Kathy

There is a trail up to the fort (signs in the old town). If you are used to hiking not very difficult at all, but I would suggest sensible shoes, no hiking boots, though.

Fantastic! The hike sounds enjoyable. Thanks to both of you for your responses, BBWC & Bruin Steve.

We'll make a day of walking around Kotor and then hike the trail and enjoy the spectacular view. I plan to bring my Keen hiking shoes (not boots), which go on all cruises. I wasn’t going to bring hiking poles – or do you advise bringing them for this adventure?

We still have 15 months until this particular cruise on Azamara, which we just booked two days ago.

Kathy

Hi, the hike up towards the fort in Kotor is quite steep. It costs 2E to get onto the trail - we joined it from the top right-hand corner of the town and here the trail has uneven rocks/steps which are not easy going - or at least they weren't for me! I was thinking as we climbed that although I was managing ok going up, coming down may be a little more of a challenge in terms of keeping one's footing as some of the steps were quite big. So yes, good walking shoes are a must.

We only made it to the little church about one third of the way up. At the beginning of the walk where we bought our tickets, they gave us a map and told us it would take a quarter hour to the church and three quarters to the fort. Wrong! it took us nearly three quarters to the church - although serious hikers would no doubt do it in much less but on the other hand we did keep going at a reasonable rate with a few photo stops. (It would probably take much less time coming up from the other side of town - see later.) As it was a hot day and the track became more rugged beyond the church, we elected to call it a day at that point along with many other 'casual walkers'. However, I would say it's very doable for any fairly fit or serious walkers and the effort would certainly be worth it. The view (even from the height we managed) was glorious.

One tip though - attack the climb from the left hand corner of the town. We went back down that way after fellow passengers who'd used that trail to get to the church said it was much better. It definitely was - no huge steps about 18 inches high and a much more defined route.

We loved Kotor (as already described the sail-in is wonderful, very reminiscent of the Norwegian Fjords) and getting up to the fort would have been very satisfying - perhaps something for another time (if I get in training! :) ) The town itself has a lot of atmosphere and is a great place to relax and have a drink after your exertions. Enjoy!

Kruzseeka: Thank you also for your valuable information & suggestions which I will take with us so we do the hike the "right" way. I am not fond of big steps as I am petite and big steps are even more of a challenge to someone who is short.

I just read an e-mail from friends of ours whom we met on our Norwegian Fjords cruise. They also hiked the Kotor fortress trail on their Azamara cruise this past spring. They said the same thing that the sail-in/sailaway reminded them of the Norwegian Fjords. Wow. This will be very nice.

Kathy

Keen's should be just fine and no poles required if you are at all used to doing some hiking. We did not have to pay anything to go up the trail (this was in May 2008).

I was recently on the Journey that stopped in Kotor for a day. I loved it, it was beautiful, not touristy at all, friendly people, and the view sailing in and out of the Bay of Kotor was breathtakingly beautiful! We climbed to the top of the of the mountain to the fort, there was no charge when we went. The view was worth the climb. It took about an hour and one half for us to climb at a leisurely pace. It was aerobic climbing up, but I found it harder coming down as the trail is not well maintained and it took concentration to pay attention to the trail. And when we came down to flat land, it was like having "sea legs" walking on flat ground again! I would go back in a heartbeat to explore more of the area. I have pictures here: http://jenhem.smugmug.com/gallery/8397963_g3mr7

Enjoy your trip!

Jenny

Jenny,

Your pictures are amazing and the views are so beautiful. Kotor is going to be a gorgeous port. Your pictures help me visualize the hike. Kotor does remind me of Norway with the fjords and also with the stone steps to climb Mt. Aksla in Alesund although they were actual steps versus a pathway with steps. The hike looks like it will be entralling. I always find it easier to climb up than down for the same reasons you mentioned, plus my knees like up and not down.

Did you take the trail back down like Kruzseeka did or did you take the path back down that Kruzseeka took up where it involved a lot of steps? We will be on the Azamara Quest. Thank you for sharing your information and wonderful pictures.

BBWC: I am hoping to take a smaller suitcase, so I am hoping to leave the poles home. The Keen hiking shoes (I have 2 pairs so one or both pairs will be going) were going no matter what because I use them as walking shoes and sometimes in the gym.

We already know what we are doing in each port even though the cruise is 15 months away and we just booked a couple days ago, except for Slovenia (Koper) and even there we have it narrrowed down to a few places.

Kathy

Kathy, you should be fine without the poles. I use my poles a lot for hiking since my knees can't take the steep down, but I saw no need for them on this trail.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived