Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

I just heard that internet will no longer be available in the cabins. You will have to use the ships wifi locations and pay the by minute rates. How many have sat for 10-15 minutes waiting for a connection and finding they just paid a lot without a connection vs in the room waiting with the expense covered by a flat $150 per cruise? It is unfortunate the new practice was set in place as it not only increased the costs per user but also the ability to wait comfortably in the cabin for a connection. I don't know what is in the mind of the Exec's in this company???

As for the compromise for Diamonds--we are Ok with it--not perfect but better than nothing. Some will never be pleased but at least the voices were heard and responded to. Credit goes to Cruise Critic for providing a place to make our points and moderating sticky issues & heated tempers.

It is a good save by the cruise line and a credit to the power of consumers who felt they were treated unjustly.

We'll miss the CL but at least we'll have the Diamond Happy Hour to look forward to as well as Concierge-like assistance at the a.m. continental breakfast We'll see how it works out on our next Royal C cruise to the Mexican Riviera...glad we did not cancel or move up to suite...

OK, did anyone else notice a strange wording in this e-mail???? Is RCCL really up for "sale"? Here is the paragraph from the letter:

Before I address the additional initiatives we will implement, I would like to summarize the physical or hardware status of our fleet as it relates to Concierge Lounges and Diamond Lounges, taking into account all 22 Royal Caribbean International ships that are now open for sale.

Anyone else thin this is strange or just a typo???? Hummmmmmmmmmm

I'm still not happy. Wine and Champagne are free but you get a 25% discount on cocktails. Whoopee! I don't think that is fair!

I am an early riser and would usually be in the CL at 630a. There was no else there for at least 30 minutes. I could have my several cups of coffee, look at the sunrise on the water, and enjoy total quiet. I will miss this the most!

Lets see, at 6:30 AM one can pick up a cup of coffee at the Cafe Promenade or the Windjammer and find tons of quiet areas on a seemingly almost deserted ship. Of couse, it is possible that you are not aware of this because you have been confined in the CL.;)

I may have misinterpreted Goldetien's email to Diamond members. In the email:

"all 22 Royal Caribbean International ships that are now open for sale" - sure sounds like all the ships are in the market to buyers. They also mentioned "Empress of the Seas and Sovereign of the Seas leaving the fleet" must meant that they have been sold.

Is RCCL selling all their ships to keep afloat?

I hope this means something else.

I will enjoy the lounge for a last time on my May Radiance cruise and bid a fond goodbye to RCCL after that. It took me 10 years to gain use of the lounge and I will not suffer another 15 years to regain it's use. In June I will be canceling my October cruise on the Explorer of the Sea and return to Princess where I have elite status.

Wow! You are actually blaming the cruise line for as you say, having you "suffer for 10 years" just to get into a Concierge Lounge? Who in their right mind would continue to cruise let alone pay for it for 10 years and suffer through it all??? It seems you are doing the same thing now with Princess' loyalty program as well and God forbid they change their policies in the future and then have you kicking your self in the keester for suffering with them too! Maybe some folks just need to buy a family boat!:cool:

OK, did anyone else notice a strange wording in this e-mail???? Is RCCL really up for "sale"? Here is the paragraph from the letter:

Before I address the additional initiatives we will implement, I would like to summarize the physical or hardware status of our fleet as it relates to Concierge Lounges and Diamond Lounges, taking into account all 22 Royal Caribbean International ships that are now open for sale.

LOL!!!! He means that the ships' sailings are open (for sale), meaning you can now call and book a stateroom!:rolleyes:

Open for sale of cruises.....

Neither. It is simply a statement that one can now book sailings on all of the twenty two ships in the fleet, including Allure which just "opened" for bookings the other day. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to read anything else into the statement. It might not have been the language that you or I would have used but I think its meaning is still pretty clear.:)

I have been gone for the past 20 days and I came back today and found this thread. WOW I guess I have a lot of reading to do. Could someone point me in the right direction to see what the benifets are now for Diamond and Diamond Plus. Thanks

Laura

As for the compromise for Diamonds--we are Ok with it--not perfect but better than nothing. Some will never be pleased but at least the voices were heard and responded to. Credit goes to Cruise Critic for providing a place to make our points and moderating sticky issues & heated tempers.

It is a good save by the cruise line and a credit to the power of consumers who felt they were treated unjustly.

We'll miss the CL but at least we'll have the Diamond Happy Hour to look forward to as well as Concierge-like assistance at the a.m. continental breakfast We'll see how it works out on our next Royal C cruise to the Mexican Riviera...glad we did not cancel or move up to suite...

Very well said hcat! I, too am looking forward to seeing how well these changes are being implemented and hope it works out fine for both the Cruise line and us, their guests! Heres wishing you many more happy sailings in the future!

Peace!:cool:

have broken the cruiseline.

When the drinks were free before, offering them at a 25% discount is tacky.:mad:

Which is exactly how some might characterize someone dismissing a cruiseline because they no longer offer free drinks. When you find an alternative line that offers free (or discounted) drinks to their loyal guests please come back and tell us.:rolleyes:

I have been gone for the past 20 days and I came back today and found this thread. WOW I guess I have a lot of reading to do. Could someone point me in the right direction to see what the benifets are now for Diamond and Diamond Plus. Thanks

Laura

Hi Laura,

Just click on page one of this thread, the new changes are listed in the first post.

Which is exactly how some might characterize someone dismissing a cruiseline because they no longer offer free drinks. When you find an alternative line that offers free (or discounted) drinks to their loyal guests please come back and tell us.:rolleyes:

I did know one, but they cheapened themselves and took them away.

applause.gif

Laura

Check out the RCI website which I understand has been updated to reflect the latest changes. Also note that the effective date of the changes has been reset to September 1, 2009. Until then things should be pretty much status quo.:)

I feel that they are sincere in their compromise. I think the discounted drinks (with free wine) is fair. I think extending the change to Sept 1 is fair. I think that offering continental breakfast is fair.

I am happy with the compromise. ;)

I misunderstood also. I thaught he was saying they would entertain offers for any of thier ships.

No, it only means that all 22 ships in the fleet (now including Allure) are available for booking. As far as any ships being sold, it has long been known that those ships have been "sold" or transferred to Pullmantur or one of the other cruiselines that fall under the Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd banner. Without knowing all of the accounting complexities of such moves, it seems to be primarily a shifting of some assets from one corporate entity to another and shouldn't effect the overall financial situation of the corporation.Someone more familiar with corporate finances might be able to explain the procedure but it would probably be a MEGO (my eyes glaze over) situation for most of us.:D

I feel that they are sincere in their compromise. I think the discounted drinks (with free wine) is fair. I think extending the change to Sept 1 is fair. I think that offering continental breakfast is fair.

Hi Paula...YEA! You'll have the good ole' CL for your 4th of July cruise! :)

Take care....

Trudy

P.S. I just noticed you don't have a 4th of July cruise on your ticker? Did you switch or am I putting you on cruises you never booked?

Check the dictionary... gullible isn't in there anymore. It's been removed.

So no access to the CL, instead you get a cold breakfast (no cost to RCL) in a private area (no cost to RCL) and have a representative to give you tickets and book shore excursions (no cost to RCL).

Instead of a party once per trip you get one every night, but you have to go there to pay 3/4 of the price of a regular drink. You get wine and "chumpagne" (because t's not champagne... champagne is from the champagne region of France and is made in the méthode Champagnois. This is cheap wine carbonated artificially in the méthode Coca-Cola.)

Can someone give us a guess on what brand of boxed wine they will be using? Let's see, in any supermarket in Spain or Italy you can buy swill for €0.50 a liter (white or red, your choice.) Yes, folks, it's cheaper to buy wine than bottled water or Coca-Cola.

So, over 3500 messages with complaints and this is what people settle for? This is enough to placate most people? Anyone want to buy a bridge? I have a beautiful one available for sale....

brooklyn-bridge-1a.jpg

I'm with you up until the continental breakfast part. Ummm...isn't ALL breakfast on ALL cruise ships continental? It's already included in our cruisefare, so how's this different? Just sayin...

When I read my letter this morning...I'll admit it...I giggled a little at this part. How much money you wanna bet it's exactly what's available on the Windjammer? ;)

That being said, I own a business and sometimes you've just gotta do what you have to do. It's the way it is. The way I see it is, I'd rather sail with RCI than NOT have an RCI to sail on, and if free stuff is what's making you leave, you weren't there for the product anyway. RCI does offer things you can't get on other lines. I like other lines, too, and I sail them for THEIR special things. I love Carnival, I love RCI and I tolerate X if they have a great itinerary I can't get anywhere else.

Let's not sweat this stuff, guys. Cruising is about our vacations, memories, our families and good times. NOT about us getting a few watered down drinks in the CL. It's just not. These "perks" are great, but if that's what made you cruise then you missed the point, in my opinion.

Archived