Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

Non drinkers lost the sodas and cup-a-chinos

"From the Capachino and Latte's in the morning (actually all day) to the happy hour in the evening it 'was' pretty nice. They had a nice breakfast set up ... and a toaster. Have you ever had hot toast, or English muffin, or bagel on a cruise ship that would actually melt butter ... and did not have the texture of a large crouton? A nice setting with one wall of glass (good view), (Radiance Class) along with hors d' vours. They also had nice comfortable chairs that have never found anywhere else on the ship. Oh well. (sigh)

Sounds like they lost something.....

Oh I love that, I will definitely have to steal that expression. Sorry, I live in a cave and have little outside contact, just moved out of Mom's basement a few weeks ago, if this is a really old expression that everyone knows. :D

Never heard it in my life!

The way I see it, D, D+ and suite guests now get to enjoy a daily VIP event on ships where there is no Concierge Lounge, (specifically Majesty, Monarch, Vision, Grandeur, Rhapsody) This is an extra benefit to members and an added cost to RCI, I would think.

I was wondering if that was true, and therefore emailed Mr. Goldstein,below is his response.

"Thank you Melanie. The VIP party-type area in a lounge will be available on Voyager-class, Radiance-class, Vision-class, Monarch and Majesty. Suite and Diamond Plus guests will be welcome there too although we would expect them to go to the Concierge Lounge on those ships that have them.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

My opinion, this is more than a compromise. They have really listened to their loyal members and made every effort to please.

Melanie

I had an excellent post prepared for the now closed thread. :D However I could not get my computer to post it late last night or early this morning. But lucky for you people, another issue has thrust itself into my mind.:rolleyes:

From the Royal Caribbean memo posted yesterday:

"In order to address the first two interests for Diamond members, outside the Concierge Lounge, effective September 1 we will offer them a dedicated VIP private party in one of our bars or lounges. This may be held in the Viking Crown Lounge, or any other bar or lounge designated by the ship. In this dedicated area, from approximately 5 to 8 p.m., we will offer complimentary wine and champagne and a happy hour discount of 25 percent off all other beverages. This will be offered every day of each sailing and will replace our recently announced one-time per-cruise special Diamond party."

It has always been clear that the D+ people will continue to have total access and benefits to the Concierge Lounge itself. This means that the D+ cruisers will still be able to enjoy free drinks during the before dinner cocktail times aboard all ships with a Concierge lounge.

We are Diamond only by way of being Elite on Celebrity, but have stayed in Grand Suites for our two RC cruises on the Jewel and Brilliance. Our RC experience is thus limited to that class ship, but I think there are no more than twenty seats in the actual Concierge Lounge.

I count a total of 24 suites in Grand, Owner's and Royal on each of these ships, so that would normally be 48 people. Add a sizable number of D+ people and the total qualified for Concierge privileges on any cruise would surely be at least 100, probably more. Granted that some will not be interested in Concierge amenities before dinner, it would still seem very likely that a satellite lounge would have to be opened for an overflow of Concierge qualified guests before dinner.

All of you are intelligent and see where this is going. There will have to be another lounge for the regular diamonds. They cannot be allowed in the overflow lounge where free drinks are offered.

There could be methods to distinguish between qualified and non-qualified people in a single overflow lounge, but these would be cumbersome and probably not enforceable. Any such methods would almost certainly also have other problems. If I am forced to do so, I can name them.

So now Royal Caribbean has created the need for an overflow Concierge Lounge, and separately a Diamond lounge or VIP lounge on all ships that currently have a Concierge Lounge. All this means additional staffing and other costs. Maybe they should just rethink their "solution" and return to the way things were. Anecdotal evidence on CC threads indicates prior lack of entry control and other remedies which could help alleviate any occasional overcrowding. For example, is it so that everyone at a common address obtains the highest Diamond level of anyone at that address?

They could possibly make some adjustments which would reduce expenses and tend to limit numbers in lounges at an one time. For example I have suggested a limit of two free drinks per person each evening. I believe this would be easy to implement. I also think that cruisers would understand and not consider this to be "cheap" if an explanation as to the necessity were given. The 25% off offer, on the other hand, does appear "cheap."

Bob :cool:

Somehow I doubt that espresso and cappuccino will be available in the room where they will be offering continental breakfasts for Diamond members. In my experience, espresso/cappuccino machines are particularly tempermental and are not usually found in temporary facilities such as what they seemed to be describing in yesterday's announcement. More than likely the arrangement will be more similar to what they do in the special departure lounges with portable coffee urns, trays of pastries, and pitchers of juice, along with cream, milk and packets of sugar and artificial sweetners. I hope I am proven wrong but I wouldn't count on those items being available anywhere other than Cafe Lattetudes. :)

My thoughts are that they will have the same set up as they do in the departure lounge. I was thinking along your same lines, that the machine would be very difficult to move around. So this means we really won't have anything more than the pastry section of the Windjammer.

I talked with a lady in the Crown and Anchor area last Sunday calling about my up coming cruise to Alaska. The conversation drifted over to the reductions of the Diamond level perks. We discussed what the perks were, before Mr Goldsteins new letter, and what we would have on our January 2010 cruise. I told her I was in hopes that RCCL would grandfather existing cruises that were booked in 2008. It seems that isn't the case so I guess I will have to live with it. I would cancel that cruise if I didn't have my stockholder discount and aft cabin 9256 booked.

The coffee is a big deal to me as the stuff other places is entirely to strong for my taste. Don't buy Starbucks at home so I won't be going to Lattetudes. I just wonder how much money RCCL could trim off their budget if they used fewer coffee grounds? The lady in C & A did thank me for being so understanding about the changes, and treating her so nicely. I can't even imagine how much abuse they have taken over this. I told her that she was just the messenger, not the person to scream at.

I appreciate the cruise lines attempt to smooth over ruffled feathers. My problem with the changes weren't with the alcohol in the CL, so my feathers are still ruffled if I can't get a decent cup of coffee. I wonder if I can trade a glass of wine or champagne in for a cup of Java?

In order to address the first two interests for Diamond members, outside the Concierge Lounge, effective September 1 we will offer them a dedicated VIP private party in one of our bars or lounges. This may be held in the Viking Crown Lounge, or any other bar or lounge designated by the ship. In this dedicated area, from approximately 5 to 8 p.m., we will offer complimentary wine and champagne and happy hour discount of 25 percent off all other beverages. This will be offered every day of each sailing and will replace our recently announced one-time per-cruise special Diamond party.

I have not ventured an opinion until now because I am a lowly Gold member and the changes did not affect me (and would not have if I were a Diamond member because I like to be in more public venues when I cruise) However, this latest change now affects me so here is my take on the situation...

Now the "Diamond" members get to take over a lounge from 5-8pm every night of the cruise but everyone else loses access to that lounge which would have been open to all passengers during that time! How does this resolve the problem?

Observations...

1. RCCL still makes it too easy to become diamond (it is also too easy to move up to all levels)

2. There are still too many diamond members (by RCCL's own admission)

3. My guess is that the number of diamond members will continue to grow at a ridiculous pace because they are not changing the eligibility criteria

4. The result will be the same... the new "lounge takeover" solution will suffer the same fate as the concierge lounge with overcrowding etc.

5. C&A Platinum and Gold members as well as all the non-repeat passengers have lost out on this deal. The Diamonds won at everyone else's expense!

The point of my post is not to pick on the Diamond members for this latest change... it is to point out that the first problem that should have been addressed is the method by which C&A points are accrued. Also to hopefully help Diamond members realize that this newest change may be viewed as an equally unpalatable policy by the "non-diamond" passengers. While I agree that it is never pleasant to lose a benefit, getting it back at other passenger's expense is also wrong! Why don't I hear Diamond members standing up for the other passengers and protesting this latest change?

for all of you who are happy about the amended changes, have you ever tasted the La Terr wine and the free champagne they serve? the La Terr is awful and gives me a headache. how can that make anyone satisfied? and i agree, the 25% off mixed drinks is insulting. on top of that, we will not be able to socialize with out diamond+ friends unless they decide to forgo their free choice of any drinks in the CL in order to join us for La Terr and cheap "champagne" in the diamond lounge, seems like a fat chance that will happen, so yes, this still is an issue of socialization among other things.

Maybe your diamond+ friends will find you worth more than a free drink and join you instead. I guess I will find out where I rate with some of my diamond+ friends on our next cruise together. ;) If they are reading this you know who you are :p

I called my brother and nephew on Sunday to find out what it cost the cruise line to furnish a drink in the CL lounge. Both have extensive knowledge in the hotel and restaurant business. They figure the cost of a top shelf drink would average about $.50 a drink. If you gave two drinks to each Diamond/Diamond Plus cruiser on a seven day cruise it would cost $2100 for 300 cruisers. Not sure what the profit is on a cabin, but the negatives from the changes sure seem to amount to more than the cost of the drinks.

I hope that management rethinks it's policy on how you get to different levels to avoid further changes in the C & A program in the future. Hopefully, they will do this sooner than later.

It seems that they are making some changes on having the same address as other cruisers in the same cabin.

Somehow I doubt that espresso and cappuccino will be available in the room where they will be offering continental breakfasts for Diamond members. In my experience, espresso/cappuccino machines are particularly tempermental and are not usually found in temporary facilities such as what they seemed to be describing in yesterday's announcement. More than likely the arrangement will be more similar to what they do in the special departure lounges with portable coffee urns, trays of pastries, and pitchers of juice, along with cream, milk and packets of sugar and artificial sweetners. I hope I am proven wrong but I wouldn't count on those items being available anywhere other than Cafe Lattetudes. :)

I'm expecting the same, Bill...

WOW...with all these great comments on how wrong Royal Caribbean's new policies are for Diamond members, I hope you will write or email to Mr. Adam Goldstein, the president and CEO of RCC, your feelings! :rolleyes:

By posting your comments here shows us Diamond members how strong we are, but I feel it would be more beneficial if we all complained directly to him and his staff telling them how we feel about this issue. Who knows.....they may finally get it that loyalty is worth something! :(

Below is the information you can reach Mr. Goldstein at:

Adam Goldstein (President & CEO of RCC)

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, Florida 33132-2096

The email I just received yesterday from Mr. Goldstein with his second letter regarding his unfair changes, was sent to me with the following address that you can write to him at: royalcaribbean@explorer.royalcaribbean.com ;)

I absolutely congratulate RCI for compromising on this subject. Diamond members will get a nightly venue to meet and mingle, with a rep to assist with shore excurtions, Specialty Resturant reservations and such. (I never needed their service as I book and pay for these services prior to boarding. :) ) I have seen far too many negative posts on this subject but I think RCL did the right thing for which I sent in my thank you e-mail letting them know of my apreciation. I encourage any of you who who are satisfied to so also. I have worked in as a customer service rep in the travel industry for so many years and have seen many things change over those years. The one thing that has never changed is the (thankfully small) number of never satisfied, never happy bunch of bullies who think the louder they complain the more they get. From experience I can say "not so". If RCL is no longer the right cruise line for any of you, thank god we live in a free society and have choices available to us. You are free to sail with someone else. I do apologize if this offends anyone but sometimes the truth is hard to hear. For me, I will continue to book and enjoy my trips on RCL as I have in the past.

I agree. My husband and I are Diam.members. We were on Voyager in December and the CL was so over crowded, they had another space in one of the lounges to deal with the crowding. My husband will miss the free mixed drinks, but he'll settle for a glass of wine. I was on Brilliance in November and there was the same over crowding problem in the CL. So I think RCL is trying to be fair. We will continue to be loyal to Royal. Our next cruise is in December on Serenade. Looking forward to a great time. There're many nice people to meet who are not diam. or diam.+. Happy cruising everyone

for all of you who are happy about the amended changes, have you ever tasted the La Terr wine and the free champagne they serve? the La Terr is awful and gives me a headache. how can that make anyone satisfied? and i agree, the 25% off mixed drinks is insulting. on top of that, we will not be able to socialize with out diamond+ friends unless they decide to forgo their free choice of any drinks in the CL in order to join us for La Terr and cheap "champagne" in the diamond lounge, seems like a fat chance that will happen, so yes, this still is an issue of socialization among other things.

We're D+ and fully intend to go to the Diamond Area instead of the CL when we have friends who are Diamond sailing with us... Our interaction with them is far more important to us than our drink selection.

Is beers-champagne and wine not free any other drinks is 25% off ?

I do believe it was a meeting in the middle.

There's no mention of beer being free, just wine and champagne. DH sure is going to miss those appetizers too! I haven't even told him about these changes yet.

There's no mention of beer being free, just wine and champagne. DH sure is going to miss those appetizers too! I haven't even told him about these changes yet.

My waistline wouldn't miss those appetizers at all!! They are probably doing me a favor... ;)

If a Diamond member books a cruise on a Freedom class or Oasis class ship, that have a dedicated Diamond Lounge, are all drinks complimentary? Or is it the same as the other ships.....only complimentary wine & champagne and 25% off all other beverages?

Thanks,

Dee

Lets hope not. But this compromise gives them an easy way/excuse to do that as well as an easy way to move the D+ out of the CL and only into the Special nightly Diamond venue on the Voyager Class and smaller.

The more I think about the compromise, the idea for charging for anything in a venue set up as a thank you gift/perk for being a long term, loyal and frequent cutomer is.... well tacky and insulting. Kind of like having my friends over for a cocktail party and telling them that I decided I was going to start charging them for any drink other than wine but that I would discount the price by 25% because they were my friends.

I will sail the 3 cruises I have booked with RCI over the next 13 months. But I am looking at alternatives for my next bookings. Just can't quite get over the way the Company has handled the cuts to the C & A Program since the Fall of 2008.

Although I applaud RCCL for conceding defeat, I hardly think the title of "RCI COMES THROUGH FOR DIAMOND MEMBERS" is an apt title for this new thread.

Mr. Pete,

I totally agree with you!!! I'm not so sure it's an appropriate title for this thread either.....LOL

RCCL's point of doing away with these privileges for Diamonds was because there was no room - overcrouding..........so how is there room now??? Oh, I get it, it's the 75% charge for drinks (except free wine and champagne).

What did the non drinkers lose?

The non-alcoholic drinkers lost more than the sodas and speciality coffee drinks. Because this nightly "VIP" event is taking the place of the Diamond/Diamond Plus Event, the non-alcoholic drinkers are losing the only event on the ship where they could get complimentary non-alcoholic drinks like the virgin foo foo drinks. :(

We don't drink alcoholic drinks and are upset with this so called compromise--it clearly does not consider the non-alcoholic drinker and is a further reduction of the benefits we once had. :mad:

We always purchase soda cards for the cruise, so offering soft drinks is the equivalent of offering ice tea--we have already paid for the soda for the duration of the cruise and that offer would not be any benefit. Many adults who don't drink alcoholic beverages purchase the soda cards.

Two or three years ago, you could get a variety of non-alcoholic drinks at the repeaters party, but then that changed and while you could still get a variety of alcoholic drinks such as well drinks, you couldn't get any non-alcoholic drinks except for sodas and the vile grapefruit punch that even the children would not drink. The concierge lounge and the overflow lounges also have a strict list of what is included and this doesn't include any non-alcoholic drinks other than soda.

So this left only the Diamond/Diamond Plus event as the only event on the ship where repeat non-drinking passengers were given complimentary non-alcoholic beverages of their choosing. Needless to say, we are very unhappy with the elimination of the one venue which also catered to the drinker of non-alcoholic beverages.

At least as Elite level on Princess, we can replace the complimentary bar set up with various non-alcoholic beverages, including Perrier, soda, and bottled water--with the actual value of what is being traded considered such that our trade in of the alcoholic beverages gives us almost double the number of bar items as were included in the original bar package. As Elite on Celebrity, we also receive the non-alcoholic speciality drinks at both the repeaters party and the Elite party.

So we are very disappointed that Royal Caribbean is supplying alcoholic drinks to the detriment of those who drink non-alcoholic beverages. :mad: Clearly the drinkers of non-alcoholic beverages are not being considered at all.

I agree that the drink coupon concept that has been floated would be the best option, allowing guests to select the beverage that they desire--this would also be the most fair as it would also permit the non-drinkers of alcoholic beverages to also receive an equivalent benefit as the drinkers of alcoholic beverages.

But regardless, Royal Caribbean needs to accommodate the drinkers of non-alcoholic beverages with the same consideration as is being given to those who drink alcoholic beverages.

I have stayed out of the fray on this issue but did email my thoughts to RCL directly. While I agree that this isn't a great solution, one thing that we may have gained is a daily event on those ships that have never had a CL or DL. So now the Vision, etc. will have a little something for Diamonds that it didn't have before. A small silver lining for those sailing the older ships perhaps.

That's not what I understand from the letter. I think they are just going to do this on the ships that currently have a CL, such as the Voyager and Radiance Class ships.

I could be wrong but that's how I interpreted it.

Archived