Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

No most breakfasts on cruise ships are not continental. They are a full beakfasts. And what is available in the Windjammer is FAR more than what any conintental breakfast would be considered to be. So in reality, this new continental breakfast is proabaly a step down from what would be available in either the Windjammer or dining room.

A continental breakfast is what has always been served in the CL. It is a pleasant place to eat without the crowds, with cappuccino and much better coffee than the Windjammer, pastries, lox, fruit, juices, freshly toasted bread, bagels and english muffins (by the concierge who knows your name), etc. It's great for those who want a light breakfast without the hassle of trying to find a table. The only change that RCCL has made is its location near the dining room. As for the other concessions, at least they admitted their error...probably due to the many cancellations. But they did give something back and that proves that we, the consumer, have power.:)

I have to agree that I am pleased with the "give-backs" since I was only really concerned about getting ice show tix without waiting in line. I still can't believe what an uproar has come from people losing a few free drinks. If you can't afford the drinks then don't drink or stay at home and buy your drinks there. Maybe all the whiners will still cancel & things will be much more pleasant on board.

Sorry, but I've been reading these posts for weeks & I'm so sick of it.

Call me a cheerleader, but we love Royal Caribbean!

OK, did anyone else notice a strange wording in this e-mail???? Is RCCL really up for "sale"? Here is the paragraph from the letter:

Before I address the additional initiatives we will implement, I would like to summarize the physical or hardware status of our fleet as it relates to Concierge Lounges and Diamond Lounges, taking into account all 22 Royal Caribbean International ships that are now open for sale.

Anyone else thin this is strange or just a typo???? Hummmmmmmmmmm

Open for sale means, "booking a cruise."

The title to this thread seems to imply that most people are happy with the 'new' Diamond benefits. I think the champange that used to be served at the 'free' functions was not good. I expect that the free wine served at the new happy hour will not be a wine I will like to drink. So I get 25% discount on drinks. Will we still get crudite? strawberries? cheese? hot appetizers? We live on the west coast a plane ride away from the Freedom or Oasis classes of ships. We just got the Mariner for Mexico. I was so excited when we heard about the move we flew to Orlando to take a 'preview' cruise last year.

The 'assistant' will be available from 8-10 each morning. That means if we would like help getting reservations at Chops or Portofinos on embarcation day we will be out of luck. We have decided at the last minute to go to the ice show. It was very convenient to be able to get tickets.

This change in benefits without changing the qualifications to reach the different C&A levels seems to show that 'overcrowding' is not the primary concern. But the money spent providing freebies to loyal customers.

All of the reductions in benefits and services has resulted in our looking at other cruiselines a lot more often then we did in the past. No reason to book on board as we have done so often in the past.

If a Diamond member books a cruise on a Freedom class or Oasis class ship, that have a dedicated Diamond Lounge, are all drinks complimentary? Or is it the same as the other ships.....only complimentary wine & champagne and 25% off all other beverages?

Thanks,

Dee

I have to agree that I am pleased with the "give-backs" since I was only really concerned about getting ice show tix without waiting in line. I still can't believe what an uproar has come from people losing a few free drinks. If you can't afford the drinks then don't drink or stay at home and buy your drinks there. Maybe all the whiners will still cancel & things will be much more pleasant on board.

Sorry, but I've been reading these posts for weeks & I'm so sick of it.

Call me a cheerleader, but we love Royal Caribbean!

Good post. I am with you. I really don't understand why people have to drink. There are so many other plesantries on the ships. I enjoy a glass of wine in the CL before dinner, but its not mandatory.

Jan

I feel that they are sincere in their compromise. I think the discounted drinks (with free wine) is fair. I think extending the change to Sept 1 is fair. I think that offering continental breakfast is fair.

I am happy with the compromise. ;)

i agree with you. i am also very happy now because we still have a nice place to go before dinner to meet and mingle with wonderful people. it is nice to know that they listened and did something about it.

Up until now I didn't know how ridiculous Diamond Members sound to have the audacity to actually think that Royal Caribbean has met us halfway! :confused:

I guess they figured that we weren't that smart and they were right because anybody thinking that the second letter was good and was a compromise, needs to have their heads examined! We started out with less and we really winded up with the same! :mad:

If you believe that we've gotten a good deal from RC for all the years of being loyal to them, the next time you cruise, go out on deck tap your shoes three times and say "there's no cruise on earth like a Royal Caribbean"....ha ha ha!!!! :cool:

OK, did anyone else notice a strange wording in this e-mail???? Is RCCL really up for "sale"? Here is the paragraph from the letter:

Before I address the additional initiatives we will implement, I would like to summarize the physical or hardware status of our fleet as it relates to Concierge Lounges and Diamond Lounges, taking into account all 22 Royal Caribbean International ships that are now open for sale.

Anyone else thin this is strange or just a typo???? Hummmmmmmmmmm

I believe he was including ships that they are taking booking for... ie the Oasis and the Allure are open for bookings but are not operating yet.

I am also pleased with a compromise. I would like to suggest that anyone else who originally emailed to complain and is now happy with the changes, email again and say 'thanks for listening'

I absolutely congratulate RCI for compromising on this subject. Diamond members will get a nightly venue to meet and mingle, with a rep to assist with shore excurtions, Specialty Resturant reservations and such. (I never needed their service as I book and pay for these services prior to boarding. :) ) I have seen far too many negative posts on this subject but I think RCL did the right thing for which I sent in my thank you e-mail letting them know of my apreciation. I encourage any of you who who are satisfied to so also. I have worked in as a customer service rep in the travel industry for so many years and have seen many things change over those years. The one thing that has never changed is the (thankfully small) number of never satisfied, never happy bunch of bullies who think the louder they complain the more they get. From experience I can say "not so". If RCL is no longer the right cruise line for any of you, thank god we live in a free society and have choices available to us. You are free to sail with someone else. I do apologize if this offends anyone but sometimes the truth is hard to hear. For me, I will continue to book and enjoy my trips on RCL as I have in the past.

I think the Loyal to Royal was the most successful brainwash ever! By the sounds of it the ONLY reason to vacation with RCCL was the CL and free drinks.

Life is short and also more enjoyable when you can wear them!:)

I just heard that internet will no longer be available in the cabins. You will have to use the ships wifi locations and pay the by minute rates. How many have sat for 10-15 minutes waiting for a connection and finding they just paid a lot without a connection vs in the room waiting with the expense covered by a flat $150 per cruise? It is unfortunate the new practice was set in place as it not only increased the costs per user but also the ability to wait comfortably in the cabin for a connection. I don't know what is in the mind of the Exec's in this company???

Where did you hear this about no internet in cabins? To me, it creates MORE revenue with the ability to connect in cabins. It would allow more people to be on at the same time, since there are limited number of computers in the internet cafe. Personally, I love being able to connect in my cabin, as I can sit in my night gown and surf the net or do emails. Can't do that in internet cafe or any place on the ship that has wi-fi.

I just heard that internet will no longer be available in the cabins. You will have to use the ships wifi locations and pay the by minute rates. How many have sat for 10-15 minutes waiting for a connection and finding they just paid a lot without a connection vs in the room waiting with the expense covered by a flat $150 per cruise? It is unfortunate the new practice was set in place as it not only increased the costs per user but also the ability to wait comfortably in the cabin for a connection. I don't know what is in the mind of the Exec's in this company???

This information is absolutely correct. On our recent March 27th cruise on Explorer we were informed by Guest Relations that RCL no longer offered cybercabin. But we could pay $.55 a minute and use our computer! Gee Thanks! Things sure are changing :(

Past Cruises:

2003 Serenade of the Seas – Canada 5 Nights – Sept 6

2004 Voyager of the Seas – Western Caribbean 9 Nights – Oct 10

2005 Jewel of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic 12 Nights – Aug 31

2006 Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda 5 Nights – May 14

2006 Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda 5 Nights – Sept 3

2007 Radiance of the Seas – Hawaii Circle 14 Nights – April 28

2008 Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean 12 Nights – Mar 16

2008 Eurodam – NYC Introduction Cruise 3 Nights – Aug 29

2009 Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean 9 Nights – Mar 27

Future Cruises:

2009 Norwegian Jewel – New England & Canada 10 Nights – Oct 10

As members who sent a messsage direct to Mr. Goldstein and Mr. Fain advising of our displeasure with the recent changes, we just wanted to note that information released today seems to be a very reasonable compromise and we applaud RCCL for listening to its' most loyal customers and thank them for considering other options.

Jay and Scheila Lowery

But, wasn't that always the case? The biggest difference now is that not all of the semi-frequent sheep will get free liquor, only the MOST frequent and perhaps the geriatric sheep, who've had the longest to be Diamond +.

Seriously, would you rather not have RCI as an option to cruise on or would you rather just deal with the cut backs? Everyone's talking about changing lines but can you name any other line that gives you free alcohol? I can't, except the ones that you pay so much for that you'll NEED the free alcohol to be able to deal with the exorbitant pricing.

I DO understand the irritation, but I don't understand the downright nastiness over a few drinks and CL. They're good perks, but certainly not the end all of a great cruise experience, in my opinion.

I do agree with most of what you stated, however, not all Diamond +ers are geriatric! I am D+ and don't quality for the senior discount until May.

I can get past passenger benefits from most of the lines. To date none of them we as good as RCL's. With the change in combinability of promos and the changes to the C&A program it may have leveled the playing field but overall RCL is still a very good product. I expect that many of those that are upset and changing to other lines may very well be back after they see what else is out there.

I am very pleased that the new alternate lounge will be available to Diamond Members. I expect that I will be spending time in there with my Diamond friends as well as some time in the CL. It would be nice if they added soda pop to the wine and champagne.

This information is absolutely correct. On our recent March 27th cruise on Explorer we were informed by Guest Relations that RCL no longer offered cybercabin. But we could pay $.55 a minute and use our computer! Gee Thanks! Things sure are changing :(

They haven't had Cybercabin for the past several RCCL cruises we've been on, but they still offer the packages. If you purchase 150 minutes it brings the cost down to .37 per minute...

I actually mean this and am not trying to be coy. We owe a thanks to RC for their Diamond policy change. We had been locked into RC and never considered another line. We got caught up in the emotion of the RC change in which they knew they were writing some Diamond members off even though they were loyal. As a result we started to look at other lines and found some that we had never even considered in the past because of the habit of always looking for RC cruises. For this feeling of freedom we owe the RC Exec's who decided to change the rules. It was interesting to sign on the internet and pull up other lines other than restricting ourselves to RC. We found a couple which had much better ports and we would not have gone that route without RC raising our awareness as to how much we were intrenched in their line and the perceived feeling of loyaly on both sides. Neither of drink alcohol so it was not a matter of losing free drinks.

I do agree with most of what you stated, however, not all Diamond +ers are geriatric! I am D+ and don't quality for the senior discount until May.

I can get past passenger benefits from most of the lines. To date none of them we as good as RCL's. With the change in combinability of promos and the changes to the C&A program it may have leveled the playing field but overall RCL is still a very good product. I expect that many of those that are upset and changing to other lines may very well be back after they see what else is out there.

I am very pleased that the new alternate lounge will be available to Diamond Members. I expect that I will be spending time in there with my Diamond friends as well as some time in the CL. It would be nice if they added soda pop to the wine and champagne.

I agree with all of this....

How ya doin' BTW, John? :) It's been a while... I just compared our upcoming cruises and it doesn't look like we'll be crossing paths anytime soon. Give you lovely bride a hug from me, would ya?

See letting people know what you want and doing so in a respectful manner pays off. I think that this is a wonderful example of "meeting in the middle."
agree -- good way to handle by CC folks. I also think a lot of RCI for coming through.

(Go Dawgs!!!)

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, what used to be included in the concierge lounge for diamond members (and still is until July)? Were guests allowed to get more than wine and champagne for free... were they only able to order some prepared drinks, or did they have the ability to order any drink for free.

Thanks.

Archived